[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest juniperz
Dialler one requires internet access these days which many people including me find dodgy. I'm using the pre-internet-access dialler one and won't upgrade.

Hi samjam - can you please tell me which is the last "safe" version? Thanks.

Guest The Soup Thief
Feels kind of stupid if Gen1 phones are no longer supported. As I have waited stable and working version so long, and now when there is only 1 more bug (accelometer), development just stops. Not that I'm paying for CM7 or anything, but still feels kind of bad, as it was so close.

So I hope that future versions can still be installed to gen1 phones somehow, or maybe gen1 phone can be converted to gen2, or then I just need to get rid of the gen1 phone and buy new one.

Guys, really, please read the information in these threads before posting.

There is already a conversion to change your phones from Gen1 to Gen2.

Personally, I've not done this yet with my own Gen1 phone, as things are in flux and the likes of Kallt Kaffe are working on different approaches to converting, plus the current stable CM7 is (last time I looked) aimed principally at Gen1 handsets (though I gather it can be tweaked to run on Gen2 also).

Lets just enjoy CM7 on our Gen1 phones, let the dust settle and doff our caps to the hugely talented guys working so hard on the coding. Rest assured, they won't leave all these people with Gen1 phones (which is virtually everyone so far as I can see, unless they've a new overseas phone or they've converted a Gen1 phone to Gen2) high and dry, and if the move to Gen2 is to be universal, there'll be some pretty idiot-proof provisions for this.

None of the mods want to cause any brickage, so lets just sit tight while some high level thinking goes on and see what happens next...

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest Poodha
Dialler one requires internet access these days which many people including me find dodgy. I'm using the pre-internet-access dialler one and won't upgrade.

When you say dodgy, do you mean slow or that you don't trust the developers? Otherwise just block dialer one with droidwall? Gonna see if it stops work then.

Guest Frankish

Also there will be a few files to modify and it will still be easy to get gen2 CM7 to work on gen1 again. It just will not be officially supported :)

Guest samjam
Hi samjam - can you please tell me which is the last "safe" version? Thanks.

1.2.7.6 is the latest I had that doesn't need internet access.

Guest samjam
When you say dodgy, do you mean slow or that you don't trust the developers? Otherwise just block dialer one with droidwall? Gonna see if it stops work then.

I mean that it shouldn't required for a dialler and requires me to make judgements about the developer that I shouldn't need to make.

Rather than make those judgements I chose not to upgrade.

The risk cannot benefit me as I do not want to make use of the extra features. I can only be harmed if my trust is misplaced.

So, as there is no need for me to make the judgement, and as I don't want to make the judgement and have little information on which to make it, I stay as I am.

Guest MMA87
If you use a 128mb partition for your rom, that's where the problem lies. I myself had no trouble with this setup for RC or nightlies, only with stable. The solution is to strip some apps from the zip before installing. For example Rom Manager as it can be installed later from the market or the CM Wallpapers as they take up a lot of space. I shrunk the zip down to 79,2mb and it worked.

Unfortunately it's not solved my problem yet, after GAPPS install i get a force close message again. Hope they will fix it as soon as possible.

There is an extra information about my device: i'm using GEN1 ZTE BLade.

Guest jayhix
I have a fresh install of n37 and my bluetooth does not work, in the sense that i cannot transfer files over bluetooth, there is no option to, although there are 2 links to gmail in the oi file manager the second one crashing the app. tried in other apps via send and i just get sent to gmail app.

anyone else?

could someone test this for me please?

Guest Totyasrác

Interesting issues:

- Installed CM7 via RomManager with "wipe" checked - still didn't do a wipe (had the previous wallpaper, didn't have to install Gapps to have G apps)

- Can not use the camera (error message: "couldn't connect to the camera").

Now doing a complete wipe via CWM Recovery, will see... But losing camera functionality is a no-go.

Edit: nope, clean (full-wipe) install didn't help on the camera issue... Anyone experienced similar issue? Yesterday I was able to take pictures but now I can't...

Edit2: Fond an interesting issue elsewhere stating "Cm7 rc1 and last nightly my fone says cannot connect to camera" and then "fixed it just pulled out my sdcard restarted fone and put it back in and problem solved Hope this helps others of the same issue". Didn't help me either but keep lookin' :)

Edited by Totyasrác

Guest Simon O

Let me clear some things up.

The current release of CyanogenMod 7 is the final. Stable = final. Any new builds will be 7.0.1 nightlies.

The blade port is moving to Gen2 from the next 7.0.1 nightly, whenever this will be. This makes perfect sense as eventually all Gen1 phones will be updated by carriers to Gen2, and remember that a lot of blades out there are Gen2 already! (Japanese phone, Chinese phone). There are no problems upgrading your phone to Gen2. It is perfectly safe as long as you follow the instructions and use the correct flasher.

Updating to Gen2 will not void your warranty since it has been voided already when you rooted the phone!

It is EASY to produce an update for Gen1 users! Pull the kernel code in, modify the addresses to suit Gen1 devices and compile. Use the RIL libs from older CM versions. A 5 minute job to produce the zip for Gen1 users. I'll suggest this to Jacob and Tom too as it'll be a good workaround.

Guest Simon O
Interesting issues:

- Installed CM7 via RomManager with "wipe" checked - still didn't do a wipe (had the previous wallpaper, didn't have to install Gapps to have G apps)

- Can not use the camera (error message: "couldn't connect to the camera").

Now doing a complete wipe via CWM Recovery, will see... But losing camera functionality is a no-go.

Clockwork doesn't wipe the system partition, thats why the gapps was still on the phone. Also the setup script for CM7 doesn't wipe the system partition either. Best thing to do would be to boot into recovery and wipe data/cache, then manually wipe system. The install final then gapps. Camera should work then.

If you still have camera issues could you check logcat for the error please and also mention if your phone has been updated to Gen2 or not. Would also help to know if your phone has a 3 or 5mp camera. Thanks :)

Guest Totyasrác
Clockwork doesn't wipe the system partition, thats why the gapps was still on the phone. Also the setup script for CM7 doesn't wipe the system partition either. Best thing to do would be to boot into recovery and wipe data/cache, then manually wipe system. The install final then gapps. Camera should work then.

If you still have camera issues could you check logcat for the error please and also mention if your phone has been updated to Gen2 or not. Would also help to know if your phone has a 3 or 5mp camera. Thanks :)

Hi there :)

Now for the second time I did the full wipe through recovery. Mine is a Gen1 (UK-sourced OLED SanFran), with a 3mp camera. Will try to reformat SD (see my previous post's finding), then completely reinstall CM7 (with full wipe of course) and see how it works.

If no success then will do a logcat and post it here if you are willing to investigate :)

Cheers!

Edit: Repartitioning the SD (well, still had cache and ext partitions created for the Pulse ages ago so I didn't just reformat it ;)) and the clean wipe (again) has solved the issue - so probably the root cause was the SD. Just for all the fellow Blade users if your camera stops working: there is a solution after all :P

Edited by Totyasrác

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Feels kind of stupid if Gen1 phones are no longer supported. As I have waited stable and working version so long, and now when there is only 1 more bug (accelometer), development just stops. Not that I'm paying for CM7 or anything, but still feels kind of bad, as it was so close.

So I hope that future versions can still be installed to gen1 phones somehow, or maybe gen1 phone can be converted to gen2, or then I just need to get rid of the gen1 phone and buy new one.

It says on the very homepage of this section on how to convert your phone.

Guest ThrashMan

Is it just me or in the last few versions the Theme Manager doesn't apply the wallpaper in a theme?

I like Androidian and the wallpaper, but now the default live wallpaper doesn't get replaced :-/

Guest manji

Hello All,

So, I've jumped in the CM7 wagon coming from Seb's de-crossed. Apart from the known issues, I can say this is good enough for my daily use.

Maps 5.3.0 - I had to force stop this as it was still "running" although it was off.

Battery wise, in about 11 hours of light use it has used about 8%. Perhaps there's stuff running in the background (syncs?) but BatteryUse and SpareParts are showing normal stuff, like MobileStanbdy and Android System (very very very very slim blue line) in PartialWake

Edited by manji

Guest jamidodger1

Has anyone had the problem on the "stable" release of the blacklight changing by it's self? mine keeps going into Auto which is really annoying ¬¬ and yes i've changed it but it still just "pops" back onto auto

Thanks Jamie.

Guest manji
Has anyone had the problem on the "stable" release of the blacklight changing by it's self? mine keeps going into Auto which is really annoying ¬¬ and yes i've changed it but it still just "pops" back onto auto

Thanks Jamie.

I do not experience that.

Guest hugobosslives
Is it just me or in the last few versions the Theme Manager doesn't apply the wallpaper in a theme?

I like Androidian and the wallpaper, but now the default live wallpaper doesn't get replaced :-/

Yes I'm wandering where this wallpaper is stored too...

You must have missed this change...

cm: Set ThemeChooser to style_change_only

mode

frankish, how do change this back? or find the wallapaper that it used to use?

Guest Frankish

Not too sure other than browse the theme .apk and extracting the image to set manually. Not sure if extracting the theme changer related files from an older nightly and using them instead would revert the change. Could try that?