ZTE u-v880 Gen2 Blade

Guest solidchips

Is your phone the China Mobile U-880 or the China Unicom or China Telecom v-880. The first one is a slightly different phone from the other two, and it's a lot harder to modify.If it's one of the last two you can put Clockwordmod on it, though you might have to use TPT rather than the other methods, and then put pretty much any of the Blade roms on it. I currently have GSF 27 on my Unicom Blade, but I had CM7 on it for a while too.

Thanks Doogsville! My phone is the China Unicom version, so it seems that I am ok.

Do I just follow solidchips instructions on this post and I can flash any ROMs using it? What do you mean by "TPT"? I am sorry as I am new to this.

Do you think GSF27 is the best ROMs for this phone? Other user has recommended me to use N210 CM7.

As you mentioned you have a v880, you can install any zte blade ROM on your phone.

I'd suggest flashing a 2.3.x ROM, swedish spring is almost retired now as it is 2.2.

Happy flash, Cheers.

Thanks for your post on this, Faisal! Do I just follow your instructions from this post and I can flash the ROM to my phone? What are you currently using now? Do you have any good recommendations as you seem to have the same phone? Thanks!

Guest solidchips

Thanks for your post on this, Faisal! Do I just follow your instructions from this post and I can flash the ROM to my phone? What are you currently using now? Do you have any good recommendations as you seem to have the same phone? Thanks!

I'm using V880 as my backup phone, as i moved to Nexus S.

Keep in mind that V880 has less RAM (256Mb) compared to orignal Balde (512MB). I think GSF is optimized for 512Mb blade as it set aside large memory buffers. IMHO, CM7 rocks on V880.

Here is a brief summary for installing a custom rom.

1. Root your phone using Z4root.

2. Download and copy latest clockworkmod recovery on ur sdcard.

3. Download the "Recovery manager" apk and install it.

4. Run "recovery manager" and choose "Install recovery manualy" ,choose the CWR file which u copied on ur sdcard

5. Download the ROM (zip) file and copy it on ur sdcard

6. Reboot into recovery mode

7. Wipe Cache, do factory/data reset

8. Choose "install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose zip from sdcard" and select the download rom file

9. Done, reboot ur phone.

If you have any problem, feel free to contact me.

Regards

Faisal.

Edited by solidchips

I'm using V880 as my backup phone, as i moved to Nexus S.

Keep in mind that V880 has less RAM (256Mb) compared to orignal Balde (512MB). I think GSF is optimized for 512Mb blade as it set aside large memory buffers. IMHO, CM7 rocks on V880.

Here is a brief summary for installing a custom rom.

1. Root your phone using Z4root.

2. Download and copy latest clockworkmod recovery on ur sdcard.

3. Download the "Recovery manager" apk and install it.

4. Run "recovery manager" and choose "Install recovery manualy" ,choose the CWR file which u copied on ur sdcard

5. Download the ROM (zip) file and copy it on ur sdcard

6. Reboot into recovery mode

7. Wipe Cache, do factory/data reset

8. Choose "install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose zip from sdcard" and select the download rom file

9. Done, reboot ur phone.

If you have any problem, feel free to contact me.

Regards

Faisal.

Hello Faisal,

Again, thanks for your help! I will try out the steps tonight and will check with you if I have any questions. Will your steps include backing up the existing China Unicom ROM just in case I need to go back to the original ROM if something happens?

Thanks for letting me know about the memory design for GSF! I am still confused on what ROM to put as people suggest CAE, CM7 and Blade Mix. Trying to read this forum and try to decide.

In addition, I see people use partition tool to partition the phone so that they have 256M for their ROM instead of 160M. Have you try that?

Thanks,

Stephen

Guest doogsville

Hey Stephen, you can follow Faisal's instructions, or have a look here: for a bit more background info. I personally followed the steps to install Clockworkmod using Recovery Manager to the letter, and as an ex Unix systems administrator I reckon I know what I'm doing, but managed to 'soft brick' the phone, which meant it just wouldn't boot into Clockworkmod, just stuck at the green android till I reset it. I finally managed to get Clockworkmod on using TPT, but you may have more luck than me.

Anyway, once you've got Clockwork on it's a breeze to flash and re flash ROMs’, so my advice would be to try a few out to see what suits your personal taste. It seems to me there are three kinds of users of Android phones, though I'm generalising a little. The first kind are geeks who just love to tinker, and will flash and reflash ROMs’ and themes and updates and whatever just to see what happens and will never be happy because it's not just a Smartphone for them, it's a hobby in it's own right. The second type are people who want a Smartphone, but want it their way, and are willing to tinker until they find the right combination of ROM and apps and theme and then their happy to leave it there and get on with the business of using the damn thing. Then there's folk like me, somewhere in the middle, who like to tinker from time to time, but also want to use the phone for a while in between as a Smartphone, until they get bored with the look or the feel or the games and decide to start geeking around again.

I'm currently using GSF 27, with a theme and a few tweaks applied to make it work for me. I started out with the so called 'stable' release of CM7 only to find that auto rotation of the screen was broken, which seemed like a big omission to me, so I tried the latest nightly at the time, 179, but it was far too buggy and unstable to be of use to me. I wasn't aware of any memory optimisation issues with GSF on the China Unicom Blade, because frankly it runs smoothly and is very stable. The only issues I've had so far have been an occasional freeze or reboot using HD games that aren't supposed to run on the lowly Blade anyway but do it very well most of the time.

I would get Clockworkmod on it and try out the latest nightly of CM7 for a few days or a week, and then if you're not happy try GSF for a few days, and maybe one or two of the other supported ROMs’ until you find one that presses all the buttons for you. Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Hey Stephen, you can follow Faisal's instructions, or have a look here: http://android.modac...or-gen2-device/ for a bit more background info. I personally followed the steps to install Clockworkmod using Recovery Manager to the letter, and as an ex Unix systems administrator I reckon I know what I'm doing, but managed to 'soft brick' the phone, which meant it just wouldn't boot into Clockworkmod, just stuck at the green android till I reset it. I finally managed to get Clockworkmod on using TPT, but you may have more luck than me.

Anyway, once you've got Clockwork on it's a breeze to flash and re flash ROMs’, so my advice would be to try a few out to see what suits your personal taste. It seems to me there are three kinds of users of Android phones, though I'm generalising a little. The first kind are geeks who just love to tinker, and will flash and reflash ROMs’ and themes and updates and whatever just to see what happens and will never be happy because it's not just a Smartphone for them, it's a hobby in it's own right. The second type are people who want a Smartphone, but want it their way, and are willing to tinker until they find the right combination of ROM and apps and theme and then their happy to leave it there and get on with the business of using the damn thing. Then there's folk like me, somewhere in the middle, who like to tinker from time to time, but also want to use the phone for a while in between as a Smartphone, until they get bored with the look or the feel or the games and decide to start geeking around again.

I'm currently using GSF 27, with a theme and a few tweaks applied to make it work for me. I started out with the so called 'stable' release of CM7 only to find that auto rotation of the screen was broken, which seemed like a big omission to me, so I tried the latest nightly at the time, 179, but it was far too buggy and unstable to be of use to me. I wasn't aware of any memory optimisation issues with GSF on the China Unicom Blade, because frankly it runs smoothly and is very stable. The only issues I've had so far have been an occasional freeze or reboot using HD games that aren't supposed to run on the lowly Blade anyway but do it very well most of the time.

I would get Clockworkmod on it and try out the latest nightly of CM7 for a few days or a week, and then if you're not happy try GSF for a few days, and maybe one or two of the other supported ROMs’ until you find one that presses all the buttons for you. Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Hello Doogsville,

Thank you for your help and time in replying my discussion!

Personally, I am not a Unix Admin and not the three kinds of users that mentioned. I just don't like the China Unicom ROM and want to use a stable and smooth ROM so that I can use my blade for daily email, web browsing and admin work. My job requires me to reply email on the spot and able to be reach via pingchat or whatsapp through my colleague. I am using this blade for now till I get my hands on iphone 4s.

Therefore, I don't have a lot of time to play around with all the ROMs and try my luck on installing a ROM. I just need a definite way to install the ROM in steps and backup the old China Unicom ROM just in case there is any problem. I can't depend on luck too much, so I spent a lot of time reading this forum and other forums as well. I am trying to summarize and come up with the final steps as there are many different ways out there.

I enjoy the auto rotation feature too so CM7 will be out of from my list. Have you heard of CAE 1.2 or Blade Mix 2.3 (lite version)? I heard those run well too. Do you have any comments? Thanks again!

Oh, if you used TPT to flash the ROM, did you partition your blade again as it only comes with 126M at the very beginning?

-- Stephen

Guest doogsville

Hello Doogsville,

Thank you for your help and time in replying my discussion!

I enjoy the auto rotation feature too so CM7 will be out of from my list. Have you heard of CAE 1.2 or Blade Mix 2.3 (lite version)? I heard those run well too. Do you have any comments? Thanks again!

Oh, if you used TPT to flash the ROM, did you partition your blade again as it only comes with 126M at the very beginning?

-- Stephen

If you just want a ROM to replace the China Unicom one, which is why I changed it in the first place before I got sucked in to playing around with it, then I would go with either GSF or CM7. To be honest, if you're starting from scratch, I'd use the latest CM7 nightly. The autorotation is fixed in the nightlies, and everyone seems to be saying the latest ones are very stable and bug free. It's really easy if you follow the steps. the first thing to do is root the phone, and z4root lets you that really easily, you just install it, start it and choose either permanent or temporary root. I'd choose temporary first time round just to be safe. Then put Rom Manager on it and use that to install Clockworkmod. Once Clockwork is installed it's almost fool proof. Then copy the ROM of your choice to your sim card and use Rom Manager to let Clockwork install it. It comes with all the apps you'd need to get you started and everything is in English, assuming you choose English as the default language that is.

Saving the original ROM is something I never did to be honest, I probably should have so I could reflash it if I ever have to take the phone back to China Unicom, but then I downloaded a copy of the stock China Unicom ROM, so I can still restore the phone to it's original state if I need to. It's possible, there's some info on it here: android.podtwo.com/romdump/

As to partitioning and unlocking memory, again, I haven't tried changing anything manually. As far as I know, these China Unicom Blades actually have less memory than the European ones so it's not possible to unlock the extra 256 or 512 or whatever it is. I didn't bother putting an ext2 partition on my SD card either because there's not as much information for these Chinese phones as there is for the European ones and I didn't want to risk bricking it permanently. Better safe than sorry and all that. Hope this helps, and keep us up to date with what you decide to do and how it's working out for you.

If you just want a ROM to replace the China Unicom one, which is why I changed it in the first place before I got sucked in to playing around with it, then I would go with either GSF or CM7. To be honest, if you're starting from scratch, I'd use the latest CM7 nightly. The autorotation is fixed in the nightlies, and everyone seems to be saying the latest ones are very stable and bug free. It's really easy if you follow the steps. the first thing to do is root the phone, and z4root lets you that really easily, you just install it, start it and choose either permanent or temporary root. I'd choose temporary first time round just to be safe. Then put Rom Manager on it and use that to install Clockworkmod. Once Clockwork is installed it's almost fool proof. Then copy the ROM of your choice to your sim card and use Rom Manager to let Clockwork install it. It comes with all the apps you'd need to get you started and everything is in English, assuming you choose English as the default language that is.

Saving the original ROM is something I never did to be honest, I probably should have so I could reflash it if I ever have to take the phone back to China Unicom, but then I downloaded a copy of the stock China Unicom ROM, so I can still restore the phone to it's original state if I need to. It's possible, there's some info on it here: android.podtwo.com/romdump/

As to partitioning and unlocking memory, again, I haven't tried changing anything manually. As far as I know, these China Unicom Blades actually have less memory than the European ones so it's not possible to unlock the extra 256 or 512 or whatever it is. I didn't bother putting an ext2 partition on my SD card either because there's not as much information for these Chinese phones as there is for the European ones and I didn't want to risk bricking it permanently. Better safe than sorry and all that. Hope this helps, and keep us up to date with what you decide to do and how it's working out for you.

Thanks again for everything! You have helped a lot. I am wandering, if we brick the phone, do we still get warranty from China Unicom? I am a safe person as well, that's why I am trying to check with all the information before proceeding, but I think I am ok now with everyone from this forum backing me up. =P I am at work now, so I will give it a try tonight and update you.

Guest solidchips

Thanks again for everything! You have helped a lot. I am wandering, if we brick the phone, do we still get warranty from China Unicom? I am a safe person as well, that's why I am trying to check with all the information before proceeding, but I think I am ok now with everyone from this forum backing me up. =P I am at work now, so I will give it a try tonight and update you.

AFAIK, you'll void your warranty if you install a custom ROM on your phone.

I never care about it bcoz china unicom stock ROM is a piece of junk.

Just for info, I tried many ROM's on my phone and i finally settled at CM-N157, as it is smooth and stable on my phone.

This is my personal experience maybe some other ROM works good for you.

Regards

Faisal

• 2 months later...
Guest Porco141

Please help me

I just got Chineese ZTE-U V880 (AFAIK it is Gen2 TFT) and wanted to change the ROM. I did as described here and finally used the Clocwork to install Swedish Spring RLS5 from zip. It works almost fine, BUT after reloading touchscreen doesn't work, and I can not get past the slider to unlock the phone. I tried to reflash it with the CM7 and got the same result - no way to get past the "touch the android" screen, as it does not react to touch.

The screen itself originally was working (with Chineese 2.2.2 Android), so the problem shouldn't be mechanical.

What can it be and how can I fix it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daniel3ub

Please help me

I just got Chineese ZTE-U V880 (AFAIK it is Gen2 TFT) and wanted to change the ROM. I did as described here and finally used the Clocwork to install Swedish Spring RLS5 from zip. It works almost fine, BUT after reloading touchscreen doesn't work, and I can not get past the slider to unlock the phone. I tried to reflash it with the CM7 and got the same result - no way to get past the "touch the android" screen, as it does not react to touch.

The screen itself originally was working (with Chineese 2.2.2 Android), so the problem shouldn't be mechanical.

What can it be and how can I fix it?

I had this same issue, but my screen would come back from sleep. Solved with the Triple Three ROM: http://android.modac...v5-android-222/

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anoop_S

Hi my name is anoop i have brought a new zte blade from Idea cellular i dont know what kind of blade it is Pig fish says it is a GEN 2 blade

ram console 02500000

system ram 02600000

base band p729b01

My problem is that i have tried a few custom roms and my camera is not working it says camera error and cannot connect to camera ...

I have tried cyanogen mode and fishnchips ( rls 1,3) and swedish snow. fish n chips is on bootloop (waited for 15 mnts tried removing battary wiped properly) and touch screen not working with CM and swedish spring :(. Now iam using moldovan mile high mountain high and my camera is not working (says cannot connect to camera ). Iam new to android and can anybody help me with camera problem iam stuck with the stock rom

awaiting reply,

Anoop

Edited by Anoop_S

Hi my name is anoop i have brought a new zte blade from Idea cellular i dont know what kind of blade it is Pig fish says it is a GEN 2 blade

ram console 02500000

system ram 02600000

base band p729b01

My problem is that i have tried a few custom roms and my camera is not working it says camera error and cannot connect to camera ...

I have tried cyanogen mode and fishnchips ( rls 1,3) and swedish spring. fish n chips is on bootloop (waited for 15 mnts tried removing battary wiped properly) and touch screen not working with CM and swedish spring :(. Now iam using moldovan mile high mountain high and my camera is not working (says cannot connect to camera ). Iam new to android and can anybody help me with camera problem iam stuck with the stock rom

awaiting reply,

Anoop

The developer of MMHMHP answered your question in his thread!

Guest aneesasil

Hi Anoop,

The Moldovan Mile-High-Mountain-Pie RLS9 (Android 2.3.5), is working perfect on my Idea Blade. The camera starts working only after the swedish kernel update. I have also tried fish'n'chips and the boot loader was stuck on the logo, but if you remove the boot animation from the fish'n'ships rom the rom loads perfectly, u will just see a blank black screen for a few minutes, wait patiently. But the fish n chips rom also has the same cannot connect camera error. So by far this MMHMP RLS9 rom is the best. All the best !

Regards:

Anees.

Guest Anoop_S

Hi Anoop,

The Moldovan Mile-High-Mountain-Pie RLS9 (Android 2.3.5), is working perfect on my Idea Blade. The camera starts working only after the swedish kernel update. I have also tried fish'n'chips and the boot loader was stuck on the logo, but if you remove the boot animation from the fish'n'ships rom the rom loads perfectly, u will just see a blank black screen for a few minutes, wait patiently. But the fish n chips rom also has the same cannot connect camera error. So by far this MMHMP RLS9 rom is the best. All the best !

Regards:

Anees.

the MMHMP is working fine for me but after installing the camera fix kernal i cannot overclock... do you have the same problem???

and can we use the kernal we used to fix camera in this rom on fishnchips???

the MMHMP is working fine for me but after installing the camera fix kernal i cannot overclock... do you have the same problem???

and can we use the kernal we used to fix camera in this rom on fishnchips???

yep same doubt for me too, can anybody help can we use the same kernel for other custom roms thanks.