Do Advent need a kick up the bum?? (Honeycomb 3.0)

Guest Mark_L

Guest Mark_L
has any of the manufacturers actually officially said this tablet variant will get honeycomb?, some have hinted but that means nothing. Personally I don't think it will, they will simply bring out a new version, call it V2 and make us all buy that.

http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/smartbook-sur...ready-p-75.html

this gives me hope because its a vega 'clone' that appears to have had 3.0 confirmed, although i cant find confirmation on the manufactures website (google translate ftw!).

Guest peter a
http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/smartbook-sur...ready-p-75.html

this gives me hope because its a vega 'clone' that appears to have had 3.0 confirmed, although i cant find confirmation on the manufactures website (google translate ftw!).

Sorry , but you are repeating !!!!!

Look for HONEYCOMB on this site ? or ( xda-developers ) , which I look at too.

And that link was posted way before google ever said they was going to delay the release of honeycomb.

Guest Lennyuk
Sorry , but you are repeating !!!!!

Look for HONEYCOMB on this site ? or ( xda-developers ) , which I look at too.

And that link was posted way before google ever said they was going to delay the release of honeycomb.

You can't rule out that Shuttle are not requiring AOSP anyway, its a slim chance but they may have been given HC by google to work on a rom, all depends on if google think the vega is a good enough device.

Guest Mark_L
You can't rule out that Shuttle are not requiring AOSP anyway, its a slim chance but they may have been given HC by google to work on a rom, all depends on if google think the vega is a good enough device.

Well, looks like shuttle were/are planning to run android 3.0 on a 7" screen, ARM Cortex-A8 processor and a PowerVR graphics chip...

They even created a mockup, and if it could run honeycomb then surely the Vega should be able to.

Oh and this was posted on the 1st of March so its fairly recent

http://www.android-tablet.org/android-vide...-at-cebit-2011/

"Shuttle is showing a mock-up of their upcoming OEM tablet V07CT01 with an 7inch display running on an TI AM3517 ARM Cortex-A8 processor with 600 MHz and PowerVR graphics, that is supposed to be available to third party resellers with Android 3.0 in may 2011"

The more I look into this the more it seems to come down to one specific issue.. will Nvidia provide support for the harmony board, and if not, does the really matter? Would the drivers from the android 2.3/2.3 platform not work with Android 3.0? Would the drivers for the ventana board not also cover the harmony board (possibly with a litle modding)?

Interesting days to come, thats for sure :D

Guest simonta
Well, looks like shuttle were/are planning to run android 3.0 on a 7" screen, ARM Cortex-A8 processor and a PowerVR graphics chip...

They even created a mockup, and if it could run honeycomb then surely the Vega should be able to.

Oh and this was posted on the 1st of March so its fairly recent

http://www.android-tablet.org/android-vide...-at-cebit-2011/

"Shuttle is showing a mock-up of their upcoming OEM tablet V07CT01 with an 7inch display running on an TI AM3517 ARM Cortex-A8 processor with 600 MHz and PowerVR graphics, that is supposed to be available to third party resellers with Android 3.0 in may 2011"

The more I look into this the more it seems to come down to one specific issue.. will Nvidia provide support for the harmony board, and if not, does the really matter? Would the drivers from the android 2.3/2.3 platform not work with Android 3.0? Would the drivers for the ventana board not also cover the harmony board (possibly with a litle modding)?

Interesting days to come, thats for sure :D

NVidia won't provide support past 2.2 for Harmony but I believe you are right. With AOSP, kernel source and drivers, it should be possible. The drivers from 2.x will work. Doubt that the Ventana drivers could/would be modified.

Guest cjtkd
NVidia won't provide support past 2.2 for Harmony but I believe you are right. With AOSP, kernel source and drivers, it should be possible. The drivers from 2.x will work. Doubt that the Ventana drivers could/would be modified.

This all begining to sound rather complicated. How has it managed to go from 'yeah we should get it' to all this lol?

Guest simonta
This all begining to sound rather complicated. How has it managed to go from 'yeah we should get it' to all this lol?

Because in the last few days, Google have made some announcements/decisions/licensing changes which have moved the goal posts - to a completely different pitch!

Guest Mark_L
has any of the manufacturers actually officially said this tablet variant will get honeycomb?, some have hinted but that means nothing. Personally I don't think it will, they will simply bring out a new version, call it V2 and make us all buy that.

:D

I took mine back as I couldnt live with the poor audio quality, will re-purchase if this is sorted out though as its a really good tablet otherwise

No manufacturer has said they will deffinately be providing Honeycomb on a vega 2.2 type tablet, but read up a few posts as at least one website is promising a honeycomb update in April for a vega type tablet.

You can bet that if Advent can put Android 3.0 on the vega they will, releasing a new device makes no sense. None of us with a Vega would go and buy a new device so it won't create any new revenue and they are already tooled up to produce/sell/support Vega's. Why change to a new device when you already have a perfectly good one in production.

They'd only produce a new device if they couldn't get honeycomb running on the Vega.

That could only happen if A.) the vega hardware was not up to spec B.) Lack of drivers etc from Nvidia scuppers it C.) Somethign 'legal' messes it up.

A and C aren't going to happen.. that only leaves B.

And if that happens there should be ways to get honeycomb on the Vega.

So, overall.. I'd say the odds of honeycomb on the Vega look pretty good, one way or another..

Because in the last few days, Google have made some announcements/decisions/licensing changes which have moved the goal posts - to a completely different pitch!

I haven't seen any announcements apart from the delay, certainly nothing that would change the entire situation and nothing to do with licencing that woudl affect the vega....but it sounds like you have?

What did you spot? links please?

Edited by Mark_L