28 Jul Fr19: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (new: custom kernel)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Trym Hansen

Just a quick question Paul: The 0-byte "mcr" file in /sdcard/, does it need to be there, or is it just a remnant of the installation?

::Trym

Edited by Trym Hansen

Guest YourMother1972
There seems to be a bug in MoDaCo custom ROMs. It apparently was inherited from the official ROM custom ROMs are based on. My phone had a problem with spontaneous reboots. It had this problem on the official ROM the telephone was sold with. It had this problem on all the MoDaCo custom ROMs I have tried so far (FR3, FR8, FR10, FR12, FR13, FR15, FR16). Then I updated the SW using the official LG website. The ROM was the old 10c but as they said in LG the spontaneous reboot and freeze bug had been fixed. And it turned out to be true!!! I've never had a single spontaneous reboot on that ROM.

Since I have two LG Optimus 2Xs, I decided to experiment on them both.

The results are:

1. Official LG 10c ROM with the bug fixed - 0% spontaneous reboots on either phone in three days.

2. FR16 MoDaCo custom ROM - the chance of spontaneous reboots is 100%, sooner or later it'll happen. On average, the phones reboot from 1 to 5 times a day.

The results are true for BOTH my phones.

Paul, maybe it's time either to fix the reboot bug as they did in LG or base MoDaCo custom ROMs on an official ROM that originally doesn't have the bug in the code?

Other than that, your custom ROMs are awesome and leave official ROMs way behind!!!

Thank you for your work!

V10C is the non-fixed version if i am not mistaking, the reboot fix was applied and distributed as V10D in your case (or V10B for those who had V10A).

Perhaps you should try to update your baseband to 0405 and then install the latest Modaco rom with a clean install and complete wipe.

Guest Riemen
PS My 2X is perfectly stable at 1.4GHz.

P

Stable, maybe. But how hot does it get?

Motorola Xoom's tegra2 is able to OC to 1.6GHz... so, 1.4 should be safe in my opinion, and I run the stress test with it...

the max. temp reach for mine is 63 degree, acceptable.

The included stress test is not very good. Also for full stressing the CPU, you have to disable all temperature steps but of the highest you want to test. Running like this, temperatures still rose after 10 minutes for me, when i left the stress test.

Or simply use another stress test, like Dungeon Defenders, which uses CPU, GPU and RAM at one time. This way, you will get higher temps, than with the included stress test.

The LGOS has already relative high temps at default clocks. Charging will additionally rise the temperature by a huge amount.

It also seems, that the reached max temps vary greatly from device to device.

Even the makers of both OC-Kernels have released versions without 1400 MHz, because they consider it unstable and/or dangerous.

If you want to keep the 1400 MHz, you could at least remove the 1100 MHz and 1300 MHz Step and instead get a allocation like this, as it was the case in some older OC-Kernels:

300 Mhz / 770 mV

500 Mhz / 800 mV

650 Mhz / 850 mV

750 Mhz / 875 mV

900 Mhz / 950 mV

1000 Mhz / 1000 mV

1200 Mhz / 1150 mV

1400 MHz / 1250 mV

This device is really fast. It doesn't need overclocking exept for benchmarks maybe, but it needs undervolting for increasing battery lifetime. And for this, it will be useful to have smaller clock steps in the important range between 300 and 1000 MHz.

Edited by Riemen

Guest gatebil
i guess i found a bug but i dont know where its based on:

have the following with fr17rc2 mck withoud ram hack and fr17rc3 mck with ram hack:

When i use german vodafone sim i can not use any network functions but wlan. When i put in a german O2 sim it works just fine.

dont know if you already read it but do you think you can fix this or is there a way i can?

besides that little problem ^^ it works great. incredible fast!

no problem here with german vodafone sim and FR17RC2 without ramheck

mfg

gatebil

Guest EasyWorld
V10C is the non-fixed version if i am not mistaking, the reboot fix was applied and distributed as V10D in your case (or V10B for those who had V10A).

In my case, the original SW was 10b. Then the official LG website offered updating to 10c and an LG representative here in Russia specifically mentioned than the fix was applied to 10c (at least here in Russia it's so). 10d is not officially available for my phones, the website says that the latest version is 10c.

Perhaps you should try to update your baseband to 0405 and then install the latest Modaco rom with a clean install and complete wipe.

Updated the baseband to 0405 the first day I got the first phone. By the way, the baseband on the second phone was automatically updated to 0405 when I flashed 10c from the LG website.

Guest Trym Hansen

I've fiddled around with the MCR OC kernel, and pretty much come to this conclusion:

For optimal powersaving AND speed, set both min and max speed to 800Mhz and the voltage as low as it will go. As Riemen pointed out earlier, the device does not deliver any less than 770mV whatever you set it to. On my device, 800Mhz is stable at the lowest possible voltage. There could of course be other factors (which I'm not aware of at the moment) which may improve battery life by having lower speeds even if the voltage does not go beyond 0.77V, but even if there are I'd expect these to have a minimal effect.

If you want to maximize speed but have decent batterylife, set max at 1.1Ghz at 1V and min at 800Mhz, lowest voltage. This should give you approximately the same battery-life as before, perhaps even slightly better, and a small increase in performance.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Trym Hansen

Guest Henrikmand

Baked my own Fr17.

I just hit 3826 at 1.4 mhz, and 3625 at 1.2 mhz.

I remember having seen which option to select to prevent the black clock in upper right corner, but I can't find the post. Can anyone (re-)help?

Edited by Henrikmand

Guest ascito
PS My 2X is perfectly stable at 1.4GHz.

P

Mine it isn't at all. With MCK oc/uv @ 1400 mhz rebooted spontaneously a couple of times in few minutes and once it became frozen after waking up from standby.

Guest Trym Hansen
In my case, the original SW was 10b. Then the official LG website offered updating to 10c and an LG representative here in Russia specifically mentioned than the fix was applied to 10c (at least here in Russia it's so). 10d is not officially available for my phones, the website says that the latest version is 10c.

Updated the baseband to 0405 the first day I got the first phone. By the way, the baseband on the second phone was automatically updated to 0405 when I flashed 10c from the LG website.

To get a stable MCR, bake one without Car Home (both of them) and anti-virus. Re-format you external SD-card. Do not use Juice-Defender.

This is my config, and the phone never reboots on MCR.

(Did a mistake two days ago, forgot to exclude Car Home. Sure enough, the phone rebooted after 2 hours.)

Guest Paul

I never get reboots. I don't use Car Home either FWIW... :P The LG Car Home does seem to misbehave (spurious sensor usage).

P

Guest djmcnz

Just confirming I get the same stack dump with YouTube on 17 as with 16 b2 and b3.

This time I baked without Flash or YouTube and just d/loaded YouTube from the market - immediate dump. Install Flash from the market, same result.

I'm using MCK+64 so will dd the others in to see if that makes a difference.

Edited by djmcnz

Guest Nordsmark

First off I'd like to say that I'm quite enjoying the Fr17 ROM, it's really smooth! Awesome job, Paul :P

Secondly I'd like to ask the people in this thread if they're having some weird Quadrant scores as well? I know that Quadrant is not a reliable tool and all that, but I find it kind of weird that I'm only getting around 2600 on stock speeds and 3600 when OCing to 1400, when Paul already showed a screen of around 4200. I saw that when running quadrant, it tends to get stuck at I/O for quite some time, way more than what I had when I used Fr15. I had the same "problem" when I was using Fr16 (1.5 days ago). It could be that it's not final yet, but I just found it weird when Paul was able to get a 4200ish score, and the I/O part did seem to be quite high.

Does anyone know what kind of problem this could be? Maybe a problem with Quadrant Standard? I wouldn't be surprised if it's not the rom, everything is running great and other benchmarks like smartbench are getting great scores.

Guest manciu

I'm using a rc3 with mck r14 kernel (no 64mb hack) and it run fine. I have one question, what are the real differences between mck and eternity kernels?

Guest mattfigaro
First off I'd like to say that I'm quite enjoying the Fr17 ROM, it's really smooth! Awesome job, Paul :P

Secondly I'd like to ask the people in this thread if they're having some weird Quadrant scores as well? I know that Quadrant is not a reliable tool and all that, but I find it kind of weird that I'm only getting around 2600 on stock speeds and 3600 when OCing to 1400, when Paul already showed a screen of around 4200. I saw that when running quadrant, it tends to get stuck at I/O for quite some time, way more than what I had when I used Fr15. I had the same "problem" when I was using Fr16 (1.5 days ago). It could be that it's not final yet, but I just found it weird when Paul was able to get a 4200ish score, and the I/O part did seem to be quite high.

Does anyone know what kind of problem this could be? Maybe a problem with Quadrant Standard? I wouldn't be surprised if it's not the rom, everything is running great and other benchmarks like smartbench are getting great scores.

That's because the SQL patch is no longer baked in by default, see above.

P

I asked the same question the other day

^^

Edited by mattfigaro

Guest tmirage

guess you didnt include the sqlite fix. since fr16? its not included by default.

Guest djmcnz

If you really want you could reformat your SD card with one partition, 32k or 64k blocks and test again with no/little data on it. Your Quadrant I/O will improve (although real life improvement is arguable). Also a quick SD card will make a difference, potentially even a significant one. I went from 2800 to 3100 just from the SD Card reformat...

Also remember, run it four times back to back and pick the highest...

Guest ben1th
no problem here with german vodafone sim and FR17RC2 without ramheck

mfg

gatebil

i tested it again. o2 works without a problem. with german vodafone contract sim i can not make or receive a call. the vodafone sim is at least 4 or 6 year old, cant remember exactly but maybe yours is newer and that could be the problem.

i tried a lot now. installed the rom again and again but wont get my vodafone sim to work :P

EDIT: Same Problem with a 2 year old german vodafone sim

both work in other phones

Edited by ben1th

Guest Ferni Elche

I've backed my own rom with almost all lg apps, exluded fsecure, car mode (both), w/o ramhack. And it work quite fine and smooth. Had been using Fbrebaked R15 and had some issues with lg.start...can't remember exactly what. I've been trying FR RC3 for a while and all seems to be ok but wifi disconects when phone sleeps, even if I put it to remain connected on wifi adjustments.

We are converting our lg o2x in a really good phone... let's see if battery resists more time, maybe with an underclcok to 800mhz. I'm using cpu master free and it works w/o problems.

Buen trabajo Paul.

Guest soundsk

Well, been playing with Fr17 for a while now. I come from stock v10b. Everything seems to be working ok, except for some application that eats traffic as soon as i turn on wi-fi or worst, 3g. I use traffic monitor which shows me this:

post-877074-1305760252_thumb.png

Anyone know why this happens? can't i stop it? like this i can't have 3g and data enabled or it will eat my month's traffic limit in no time!

As for the rest, i was expecting to see a bigger score in quadrant. My stock rom was scoring around 2500~2600 and fr17 only gave me 2687 so the improvement isn't so big. I'll further test fr17 to see how it behaves in every other way, but i do consider going back to stock as it was really very stable.

Again, thanks Paul, for your work.

Cheers!

Guest ecki2k
...like this i can't have 3g and data enabled or it will eat my month's traffic limit in no time!

Cheers!

The Traffic Data for System is incorrect, atleast it does NOT show consumed 3G-Bandwith. I´m on a limited 3G-plan too and while Traffic Monitor sees good 1200MB of "System" Traffic for the Month, my Provider says barely 400 all included. So no worries there :P

The Traffic shown in the Gadget and Overview is correct, this "System" is not included here. Must be some kind of internal traffic, network location or such that´s shown on details...

Cheers

Eck

edit: And the Provider-Data is correct, checked it by looking before and after a 25MB-Download. There´s also a Thread for it http://android.modaco.com/content/lg-optim...und-data-usage/

Edited by ecki2k

Guest gatebil
i tested it again. o2 works without a problem. with german vodafone contract sim i can not make or receive a call. the vodafone sim is at least 4 or 6 year old, cant remember exactly but maybe yours is newer and that could be the problem.

i tried a lot now. installed the rom again and again but wont get my vodafone sim to work :P

EDIT: Same Problem with a 2 year old german vodafone sim

both work in other phones

my vodafone sim is one year old.

Guest abye

Paul. After I flash the RC3 my phone can't boot. It stack on black screen, i tried use the default kitchen and have same problem. I tried a rom with OCUV kernel before and it is the same problem. Maybe my phone doesn't support OCUV kernel??

Guest wc326

after one night of Rc3, i can really confirm that this rom is super fast, the fastest we have so far.

However, just one minor issue . is that when i woke up from 8 hours of sleep . it seems like the battery did not drop so much. maybe 2-5 %. But after 5-10 minutes using the device.

battery dropped quite alot from 60 % to 45 %

can anyone else confirm this?

Guest mirsadm
after one night of Rc3, i can really confirm that this rom is super fast, the fastest we have so far.

However, just one minor issue . is that when i woke up from 8 hours of sleep . it seems like the battery did not drop so much. maybe 2-5 %. But after 5-10 minutes using the device.

I managed around 24 hours without charging and the display was on for around 2 hours. I took it off the charger while it was around 90% as well. The battery life has been amazing for me since I did a wipe and installed FR16 b4 and now FR17.

Guest Squide

more horse power require more fuel :P