28 Jul Fr19: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (new: custom kernel)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest chong01
So I have flashed my O2x with FR18b2 (kitchen) and the GPS locked in 5 sec without any fix. I have to mention that I am inside (top floor) ;) Hope it will stay locked during next workout. If the batery will be good for a day of moderate usage then I can not complain at all :P

Were you using the Nokia supl server?

My experience is that the initial lock within few seconds is useless: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1716758

Guest Ph4nt0m

My experience is that the initial lock within few seconds is useless: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1716758

I didn't change any of GPS settings. For now I have checked only GPS lock, but I think it will work fine too. I tried this fix only on CM7, but as you said it is useless. GPS locked but just for few seconds.

If the weather gets better I will report about accuracy later. Just for information, the benchmark score (antutu) is higher as on CM7 ;) I was surprised when I saw more then 4000 scores on Froyo :P

Anyway, I will report about GPS and battery usage later :D

Edited by Ph4nt0m

Guest djmcnz

Yeah, its broken in Fr18 *which is a regression* so to be honest it should have been fixed weeks ago.

2 mins to get a fix in Amsterdam, Monaco, Prague, Munich... using Nokia, LG or even the Vodafone private supl servers. Install Fr14 and instant fix.

What's up?

Guest Paul

I wonder if it's the lge-ril.so... could someone try pushing the lge-ril.so from an older version? I can't think of anything else that's changed (aside from maybe including the gps.conf in /system/etc/)...

P

Guest Paul
Hi Paul!

I've got a GSII and my wife has a LGO2X. I use madmack's universal RTL arabic patching tool http://blog.devasque.com/?page_id=11 just fine on the GSII. But it gives me an error when I use the files from your ROM on the O2X. Any idea why?

Thanks for all your great work!!!

Unfortunately I don't read arabic so that page doesn't mean much to me!

GSII is Gingerbread, does the tool work on Froyo? What's the error\?

P

Guest johnnydj
Ha, I am going to sell this piece of C... I will never buy a LG phone again. Really disappointed, will get a Sensation instead. At least HTC gives a better support and it has more leverage exprience by being one of the leads in the phone market. Now comes the challenge, trying to sell a phone with a broken software. Anyone?!? ;)

lol good luck with a Sensation phone :P

you noticed how crap the camera recording and sound is?

right now, I would not change the O2X for any other dual core phone, not even for the SGS 2.

the curent CM7 nightly #39 works pretty smoothly and didn't experience any problems with it.

So if you want GB, then use the nightlies from now on, or just use Modaco for 2.2 which works really good.

Guest Paul

OK, let's have some fun.

I'd like to collate issues with Fr18 Beta 2 using a new method, a bug tracker. Please post any issues you have (and validate and comment on issues other have raised) in HERE. ;)

P

Guest djmcnz
I wonder if it's the lge-ril.so... could someone try pushing the lge-ril.so from an older version? I can't think of anything else that's changed (aside from maybe including the gps.conf in /system/etc/)...

P

If somebody literally attaches an old version to this thread or posts a direct link I'll try it across Europe... only have phone at moment so can't dl extract Rom in any practical way. But am happy to test.

Guest 75markus
Yeah, its broken in Fr18 *which is a regression* so to be honest it should have been fixed weeks ago.

2 mins to get a fix in Amsterdam, Monaco, Prague, Munich... using Nokia, LG or even the Vodafone private supl servers. Install Fr14 and instant fix.

What's up?

hmmm , GPS on spanish RIL is working fine for me ...

i´m using baseband 502, nokia servers in hidden menu & gps.conf with nokia servers ...

got this fix indoors in about 10 sec, wheater is bad outside (rain)

i think that´s not bad at all

20110608134714.png

Edited by 75markus

Guest 75markus
If somebody literally attaches an old version to this thread or posts a direct link I'll try it across Europe... only have phone at moment so can't dl extract Rom in any practical way. But am happy to test.

i can provide you lge-ril.so from fr17 : lge-ril.so

Guest withoutwings
OK, let's have some fun.

I'd like to collate issues with Fr18 Beta 2 using a new method, a bug tracker. Please post any issues you have (and validate and comment on issues other have raised) in HERE. :P

P

Good job Paul - should be very useful!

Hopefully you don't get too many "my clock has disappeared" ones though... :D ;)

Edited by withoutwings

Guest RedeemerSK
AFAIK there's no android device with tegra 2 chipset AND gingerbread...

they're all with android 2.2 at this time and 2.3 'coming soon' :-\

the case of tmobile g2x is special, with a false gingerbread (froyo kernel and userspace)

maybe there's something to wait from nvidia...

AFAIK, SGS 2 is distributed in two hw configurations - with two different SoC - Orion and Tegra 2.

So, there actually is Tegra 2 device running 2.3 ! Even worse, it's our evil rival that slaps us in the face in every reasonable comparison.

Guest SnowmanDK
Ha, I am going to sell this piece of C... I will never buy a LG phone again. Really disappointed, will get a Sensation instead. At least HTC gives a better support and it has more leverage exprience by being one of the leads in the phone market. Now comes the challenge, trying to sell a phone with a broken software. Anyone?!? ;)

Eh? HTC Support??? You MUST be joking...

MY story:

I bought an HTC Magic some years ago, and so did a colleague of mine... After only 2-3 week, then the back cover cracked on both phones.

First we contacted the local support but they told us to contact HTC.... We did... And was told that the cover had no problems at all. So it was our own fault.

Then we did a Google search (you are welcome to try it too) for cracked back cover on HTC Magic... They cracked ALL over the world, but HTC NEVER acknowledged the problem.

So much for HTC support... At least back then...

Guest PhilNelwyn
Ha, I am going to sell this piece of C... I will never buy a LG phone again. Really disappointed, will get a Sensation instead. At least HTC gives a better support and it has more leverage exprience by being one of the leads in the phone market. Now comes the challenge, trying to sell a phone with a broken software. Anyone?!? :P

;)

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/06/06/htc...th-grip-issues/

Guest 75markus
Tks but I think its the same as 18, think I need pre 16, possibly 14 or earlier.

afaik, paul changed RIL in fr18 (to RIL from spanish version ...)

20 May Fr18 Beta 2

Remove USB debugging sound and persistent notification

Add option to include 'old' non oc/uv kernel

Reverted Beta 1 dialer changes (should fix a number of issues)

Updated lge-ril to a new version (previously unseen MD5 from Spanish release)

Edited by 75markus

Guest djmcnz
afaik, paul changed RIL in fr18 (to RIL from spanish version ...)

Ahh, nice, thanks again then for the file, will apply and rpt back.

Guest djmcnz

WOOO-HOOO!!

;)

Fr17 RIL fixes GPS... for me anyway.

Renamed lge-ril.so to lge-ril.so.fr18

Placed file from 75markus in /system/lib/

Rebooted phone

Opened Google Maps - GPS fix in ~15 seconds (indoors, cloudy sky, Prague)

Lock stays active too...

GPSFix (from Market) picks up 7 sats and locks in <10 secs.

Previous testing, same location was an utter fail (lock took 2 - 4 mins and only held for a few seconds/minutes).

I obviously need to test more because my sample is 1 location at the moment but things are looking up.

For others:

My "Hidden Menu" settings are:

MOLR Protocol = User Plane

SLP Server Setting = Nokia

APN Settngs = Carrier default (including ,supl)

SLP Auto Provision = On (checked)

Misc = All Off (unchecked)

What an improvement - so happy for the suggestions, thanks Paul, Markus et al!

Guest shoulim
lol good luck with a Sensation phone ;)

you noticed how crap the camera recording and sound is?

right now, I would not change the O2X for any other dual core phone, not even for the SGS 2.

the curent CM7 nightly #39 works pretty smoothly and didn't experience any problems with it.

So if you want GB, then use the nightlies from now on, or just use Modaco for 2.2 which works really good.

Sorry mate, when I pay that much for a phone I expect nothing less than a decent support or a software to come along with it without having to depend on other people much more competent to fix their mess (Talking about Paul of course). LG screw up big time (I didn't only pay for a hardware which is good I agree, but we all paid for the crap that came along). I don't see a fraction of the problems O2X has in the Sensation and Sense is so much more mature than the LG software. Don't care about the camera, I have a video camera for that reason which no smartphone can come close to the quality it provides. Great work by Paul, but am moving on to better things. Good luck to you all on O2X, selling won't be easy. ;-)

Guest Ph4nt0m

I have tested GPS with Runtastic GPS coach. It was locked all the time but accuracy is far from good.

Here you can see recorded track:

screen-shot-2011-06-08-a.jpg

The maps are old, so don't look at roads, but as you can see, the line is not as it should be. Because of that Runtastic showed about 400m more as it should. I hope you understand what the problem is ;)

I didn't change any settings, everything is as you get with Fr18b2. On stock v10b GPS was perfect, but I can not be satisfied with this. Anyone has better experience with GPS settings changed as described above?

Edited by Ph4nt0m