28 Jul Fr19: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (new: custom kernel)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bswpt

@Paul

fr13 works great - first feeling. Installation lag seems to be fixed!

About GB-Keyboard: the market shows an actualisation of the implemented GB-Keyboard in your ROM. Installing it over the market end in a Failure-Notification not being installed! Can you help with this?

I'm going to slightly tweak the kernel to revert the BFQ change (I think CFQ feels better) and update the Gingerbread keyboard before I post the prebake and Vanilla edition.

P

Guest Jay_Snake
I'm going to slightly tweak the kernel to revert the BFQ change (I think CFQ feels better) and update the Gingerbread keyboard before I post the prebake and Vanilla edition.

P

And how do I revert the BFQ change if I already baked and installed FR13?

Guest Riemen

What about including the drivers von EternityProject Kernel?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1029799

This Kernel is fast. Quadrant score was a little higher than in FR12 with stock Kernel. Would be great if you could combine the best of both Kernels.

But the main cause, why I use the other Kernel is undervolting.

How about including support for undervolting by PimpMyCPU by default as described here? This works great, for me, but I always have to wait for the latest modded Modaco-Kernel.

Guest TsunKit

Quadrant score from Fr12 > Fr13 has gone from 3600~ to 3500~

Gonna retest with BFQ reverted

EDIT: After BFQ reverted, quadrant score down to 3390

Edited by TsunKit

Guest maedox
Welcome back !

you where missed :)

Quick question.

How should i update the baseband ?

What is the correct procedure ?

1) nandroid backup

2) copy the backup to PC

3) flash the baseband

4)install clockwork recovery

5) copy the backup to the SD and restore it ?

thanks.

What I did was:

1. Nandroid

2. Remove sdcard

3. Flash baseband

4. Insert sdcard

5. Install CWM

6. Restore nandroid

What I did was:

1. Nandroid

2. Remove sdcard

3. Flash baseband

4. Insert sdcard

5. Install CWM

6. Restore nandroid

Thanks :) i will do it and back up the internal SD just in case since i use titanium and baseband update might wipe it.

again thank you.

Guest maedox
Thanks :) i will do it and back up the internal SD just in case since i use titanium and baseband update might wipe it.

again thank you.

Actually the internal sdcard wasn't wiped when I updated, but it's a good habit to back it up just in case.

Guest maedox
Reverted BFQ as default in the kitchen.

P

Good to have you back Paul. I think I can speak for everyone and say we needed a new release to calm our withdrawal pains. :)

A small request; Could you add an option to force App2SD-enabled apps to install to the phone by default?

Good to have you back Paul. I think I can speak for everyone and say we needed a new release to calm our withdrawal pains. :)

A small request; Could you add an option to force App2SD-enabled apps to install to the phone by default?

I haven't seen an app that installs to the External SD card on this device. they all go to the Phone first, then you can move them.

sorry for the silly question but what apps do you mean ?

Edited by aaww

Guest djmcnz
I haven't seen an app that installs to the External SD card on this device. they all go to the Phone first, then you can move them.

Angry Birds for example. Always installs to SD, whatever you tell it to do.

I just batch them over to the phone with Ti once and a while.

Guest maedox

As djmcnz mentioned, Angry Birds defaults to the SD. Themes for Dolphin HD browser, and games like GuerillaBob and Samurai II. Some other apps too, but I have moved them manually and can't remember which ones.

Guest Marco_CH

install lag isnt completely fixed. just installed quadrant and the installation froze the phone a couple of seconds.

i guess it cannot be made completely lag-free with that lg work

quadrant score went down to 3000 from 3200 with FR13 compared to FR12. but that shouldnt care at all.

overall i dont feel it to be smoother. FR12 worked as good as this latest update.

Guest Trym Hansen

I think I may need a reality check.

Everybody is describing MCR as "fast", "smooth", "no lag" etc., while my experience is the opposite.

The last few days I've been back on stock, and as far as I can tell, the actual user-experience is as good as, if not better, than MCR. By that I mean faster loading times, smoother animations, less lag and choppiness. (I've had only one crash after formatting my class 10 16GB-card with >4K clusters, and that was after turning bluetooth on then off again.)

So where does this discrepancy come from? Is everybody else just benchmarking, or is there something wrong with my device?

Here are a two repeatable examples of what I mean:

1) The free game Jewels by MH Games for instance. The splash screen will on MCR invariably judder, while on stock it is smooth.

2) Loading of application-list for shortcuts when it is not cached takes a lot longer and is a lot more unpleasant on MCR. To see what I mean you can: Load the music player, flip the phone to go to 3D album-art mode. Exit. Long-press somewhere, tap widget. After the list shows up, exit. (These two steps are an easy way to allocate some memory, then free it.) Now long-press, add shortcut to application. Even on stock you have to wait a while here, but not nearly as long as on MCR. And when the list shows up, trying to scroll while the system is fetching icons is on MCR nearly impossible, you will get second-long freezes and extreme choppiness, while on stock it's responding as expected, albeit not smoothly.

Both of the above can be attributed to the storage subsystem. I have no idea what optimizations have been done, but they seem to counteract the intended effect.

I figured at first that much of the lag I was seeing was due to the sqlite-patch (the data has to be written to storage sooner or later, and I thought this was what was happening when I had lag), and removing the patch does help in some cases, but not in all.

Now, before any of you respond with "FU, go back to stock if you're so happy with it.", then please understand this is not meant as critique, but as an honest question as to why everybody else seems so happy with MCR when for me it's performing worse. Secondly, if these are issues that do not only affect me, I hope they can give Paul an indication for where to look for fixes.

As a sidenote to Paul, I've reported the "Norwegian bug" to LG, they said they were "looking into it", so hopefully a fix will be included in the next official firmware.

::Trym

Edited by Trym Hansen

Guest Marco_CH

Everybody is describing MCR as "fast", "smooth", "no lag" etc., while my experience is the opposite.

The last few days I've been back on stock, and as far as I can tell, the actual user-experience is as good as, if not better, than MCR. By that I mean faster loading times, smoother animations, less lag and choppiness. (I've had only one crash after formatting my class 10 16GB-card with >4K clusters, and that was after turning bluetooth on then off again.)

So where does this discrepancy come from? Is everybody else just benchmarking, or is there something wrong with my device?

1) The free game Jewels by MH Games for instance. The splash screen will on MCR invariably judder, while on stock it is smooth.

2) Loading of application-list for shortcuts when it is not cached takes a lot longer and is a lot more unpleasant on MCR. To see what I mean you can: Load the music player, flip the phone to go to 3D album-art mode. Exit. Long-press somewhere, tap widget. After the list shows up, exit. (These two steps are an easy way to allocate some memory, then free it.) Now long-press, add shortcut to application. Even on stock you have to wait a while here, but not nearly as long as on MCR. And when the list shows up, trying to scroll while the system is fetching icons is on MCR nearly impossible, you will get second-long freezes and extreme choppiness, while on stock it's responding as expected, albeit not smoothly.

Both of the above can be attributed to the storage subsystem. I have no idea what optimizations have been done, but they seem to counteract the intended effect.

I figured at first that much of the lag I was seeing was due to the sqlite-patch (the data has to be written to storage sooner or later, and I thought this was what was happening when I had lag), and removing the patch does help in some cases, but not in all.

Now, before any of you respond with "FU, go back to stock if you're so happy with it.", then please understand this is not meant as critique, but as an honest question as to why everybody else seems so happy with MCR when for me it's performing worse. Secondly, if these are issues that do not only affect me, I hope they can give Paul an indication for where to look for fixes.

As a sidenote to Paul, I've reported the "Norwegian bug" to LG, they said they were "looking into it", so hopefully a fix will be included in the next official firmware.

I agree with most of what you are saying. the stock is not slow per se but the GUI seemed to me more laggy so I tried a custom rom. the GUI feels smoother on the custom rom.

I guess whatever devs like paul will and can do, in the end we will need to wait for gingerbread and hold our fingers crossed that LG had enough time to optimise it.

Guest d-droid

I'm experiencing the same thing as you are, I find myself waiting alot and having to clean out some running apps from memory once in a while to keep it running smooth. When playing Dungeon Defenders I never had lag issues on stock but I do have lag with MCR. I haven't gone so far as going back to stock but I have been considering it for quite some time. I've been waiting for this FR13 release though since the market lag is unbearable. I can't recall if this market lag was in the stock ROM as well, is it?

Guest Trym Hansen
I'm experiencing the same thing as you are, I find myself waiting alot and having to clean out some running apps from memory once in a while to keep it running smooth. When playing Dungeon Defenders I never had lag issues on stock but I do have lag with MCR. I haven't gone so far as going back to stock but I have been considering it for quite some time. I've been waiting for this FR13 release though since the market lag is unbearable. I can't recall if this market lag was in the stock ROM as well, is it?

@Marco_CH: Yeah, stock launcher is laggy no matter what, I switched to Launcher Pro (paid) and I'm very happy with it. (Another app which suffers on MCR, restarting LPro takes twice as long on MCR.)

@d-droid. The same short "freeze" is there, but not the lag afterwards. This was my main reason for switching back to stock, after installing and uninstalling a few apps on MCR you get a molasses-like device. Not so on stock. I didn't notice any improvement in FR13 regarding this.

Guest Marco_CH
@Marco_CH: Yeah, stock launcher is laggy no matter what, I switched to Launcher Pro (paid) and I'm very happy with it. (Another app which suffers on MCR, restarting LPro takes twice as long on MCR.)

@d-droid. The same short "freeze" is there, but not the lag afterwards. This was my main reason for switching back to stock, after installing and uninstalling a few apps on MCR you get a molasses-like device. Not so on stock. I didn't notice any improvement in FR13 regarding this.

out of curiosity I installed the original stock rom again. well at least the original file from the main competitor of my service provider. not the smartest thing I did since I have now a branded phone, hehe, but I couldnt bother with downloading another 680mb.

well to my BIG surprise, the stock rom from that provider runs terribly smooth. nothing is laggy. at least not more laggy than with any other rom i tried. that surprised me a lot to be honest.... clearly miles faster than the stock rom I had on the device when I bought it. kinda strange ....

Guest Trym Hansen

I'm also curious, and since the 10D update hasn't shown up for the EUROPE OPEN firmware yet, I decided to tinker around a little. I installed Paul's performance patch for stock rom, and paul's vanilla lock-screen for stock rom.

The phone behaves exactly like before, in other words, whatever regressions there are in MCR do not come from the performance patches.

Which leaves only two likely suspects: ext4 or "kernel optimizations." If we had the opportunity to run ext3 OR ext4 this would be easy to test.

Guest johnnydj
out of curiosity I installed the original stock rom again. well at least the original file from the main competitor of my service provider. not the smartest thing I did since I have now a branded phone, hehe, but I couldnt bother with downloading another 680mb.

well to my BIG surprise, the stock rom from that provider runs terribly smooth. nothing is laggy. at least not more laggy than with any other rom i tried. that surprised me a lot to be honest.... clearly miles faster than the stock rom I had on the device when I bought it. kinda strange ....

could you probably give us a link to that ROM so we can check it out?

Guest BrumBrum74

On MCR Fr12 and there's an update for Gingerbread keyboard out on market. Cannot upgrade to that version. Tried downloading many times. Uninstalled the keyboard and then I cannot install becuase of upgrade failure.

Anyone else with this "bug"?

Guest RotoTrol_P990

Just installed FR13 via online kitchen. I am a bit concerned about the "Multitouch Optimizations": since I installed this MCR i noticed my touchscreen is less responsive. I mean, to move inside a zommed page inside the browser I must move the finger a lot more and the sides of the screen itself refuse to accept the same light touch input - with the tip of my index finger - I used to provide on stock ROM.

May I ask what these optimizations were meant to achieve? I'm curious to understand why my phone behaves this way now.

Edited by RotoTrol_P990

OK peeps... gonna go though every tweak i've made today with a fine tooth comb ready for a super-slick Fr14. Think we can extract that last ounce of performance. :mellow:

P