28 Jul Fr19: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (new: custom kernel)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest blafoo

With Fr19 RC1 in combination of baseband 0315 I get the best battery performance on my LGOS ever: 10% loss in about 6 hours.

3G on, checking mail every 30 min., background data disabled.

As previously mentioned a really awfull rom! :)

... But there is still one problem concerning WiFi. It's not possible automatically to connect a saved network by only activating wireless lan. Unfortunately I have to go into wifi-settings (with saved networks) in order to connect. it's not a FR 19 RC1 related problem, because it also occured with earlier versions.

Anyone else having the above-named problem? Some solution? B)

kind regards - N0r0

Edited by N0r0

Guest Elte Hupkes

Ok, I think after 3 days it's safe to say the battery drain is not a calibration issue. Since no app appears to be responsible I'm assuming for now that it's the baseband (I was running 0614). I upgraded to the 0622 baseband + RIL available at XDA, but while I was flashing/wiping I figured I might as well give CM7 a try. Probably gonna stick with that for a few days, so there's not gonna be a fair battery comparison from me for now :).

Guest Ferrum Master

Haven't everyone tought that RIL- Basband versions differ for some compatibility reasons.

They differ from countries. Because each country even the carrier uses different radio equipment for their towers... Ericsson(true one), Motorola, Nokia-Siemens(the most shitty ones) etc. For some people everything is fine, for some there are crazy battery issues etc...

So the point is... every should stick with their latest official baseband for their specific carrier. Because towers also receive software updates and they give a approval for launching new firmwares, that we are ready to support it. We have to take that also into our consideration....

Guest Jay-V
With Fr19 RC1 in combination of baseband 0315 I get the best battery performance on my LGOS ever: 10% loss in about 6 hours.

3G on, checking mail every 30 min., background data disabled.

Do you use the RIL that came with Fr19 RC1 or have you also downgraded the RIL to 0315?

Thanks.

Guest blafoo
Do you use the RIL that came with Fr19 RC1 or have you also downgraded the RIL to 0315?

I am using the RIL that is included in the Fr19 RC1 Rom - no downgrade to the 0315 RIL.

That gives me for today (7:30 - 23:00) right now 30% battery "loss".

blafoo

Guest spburdon

Paul you have done an amazing job.

I moved from FR17 to FR19RC1 and all I can say is "it rocks" battery life is better and it feels snappier when loading apps etc.

well worth paying for add-free membership.

keep up the grate work

I flashed this rom a few days ago... I was an getting error msg when I was doing my first time settings.. don't know if its just me. I wanted to try to go apps so I downloaded the LAUNCHER,SMS pro, dialer, and contacts. But it keeps lagging and I keep getting and LG home force close msg. Is anyone else having the same issue as well? Oh and my data internet keeps disconnecting.

Guest hackworks

I baked a FR19 ROM with most of the default settings and added the dev tools. I had FR18 running and hence flashed the tool to convert ext4 to ext3. I installed CM7 and verified that all ext4 mounts are indeed converted back to ext3. When I flash FR19 and boot, it freezes on LG boot image (the progress bar stops). If I try to get into 'adb shell', I get the following error.

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

Any hints or work around?

So, I am back on CM7.59 now and plan to bake a fresh FR19 ROM today.

Guest Squide
I baked a FR19 ROM with most of the default settings and added the dev tools. I had FR18 running and hence flashed the tool to convert ext4 to ext3. I installed CM7 and verified that all ext4 mounts are indeed converted back to ext3. When I flash FR19 and boot, it freezes on LG boot image (the progress bar stops). If I try to get into 'adb shell', I get the following error.

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

Any hints or work around?

So, I am back on CM7.59 now and plan to bake a fresh FR19 ROM today.

NVflash back to very basic stock rom

and then install CWM, backup the internal SD before NVflash.

Guest hackworks
NVflash back to very basic stock rom

and then install CWM, backup the internal SD before NVflash.

Sorry, a n00b question: How do I use NVflash? I have a nandroid backup of the stock ROM I took after rooting my device though. Would a nandroid restore suffice? CM7 works fine, so I doubt if my partitions are messed.

Guest hackworks

I read through the link and thank you for the pointer. All I am going to gain from using NVflash is a clean partition table. Since I have successfully restored CM from nandroid (which does a raw 'dd' like image restore), I guess my partition tables are intact. I am able to get into CWM 3.0.2.8. Would I still need to perform nvflash?

Guest hackworks
I read through the link and thank you for the pointer. All I am going to gain from using NVflash is a clean partition table. Since I have successfully restored CM from nandroid (which does a raw 'dd' like image restore), I guess my partition tables are intact. I am able to get into CWM 3.0.2.8. Would I still need to perform nvflash?

I flashed using NVflash, thanks for the superb writeup on this forum. I tried taking a nandroid backup and it failed. I was using the CWM from CM7 which uses the external sdcard. I flashed the CWM with internal sdcard support and am able to take a nandroid backup. Flashed FR19 that I re-baked with mostly defaults and it is up and running. The culprit seems to be the CWM with external sdcard support.

Edited by hackworks

Guest PAQman
A couple of fixes in the next day or so then hopefully we'll be ready for full release and prebakes!

Will your next release base on 622? I took that rom and made some small tweaks, removed and exchanged some apps. I've got a real good battery life now and my o2x is running without any reboots since last Friday. I also flashed the 622 baseband. I'm happy with it. I think, if you put your hands on the 622, the o2x will start to fly :-D

Guest unfun
Haven't everyone tought that RIL- Basband versions differ for some compatibility reasons.

They differ from countries. Because each country even the carrier uses different radio equipment for their towers... Ericsson(true one), Motorola, Nokia-Siemens(the most shitty ones) etc. For some people everything is fine, for some there are crazy battery issues etc...

So the point is... every should stick with their latest official baseband for their specific carrier. Because towers also receive software updates and they give a approval for launching new firmwares, that we are ready to support it. We have to take that also into our consideration....

does that mean we should also get the ril from our official build or is the one included with custom roms universal

Will your next release base on 622? I took that rom and made some small tweaks, removed and exchanged some apps. I've got a real good battery life now and my o2x is running without any reboots since last Friday. I also flashed the 622 baseband. I'm happy with it. I think, if you put your hands on the 622, the o2x will start to fly :-D

I haven't looked at a 0622 ROM, do you have any further details?

P

Guest Jay_Snake
I haven't looked at a 0622 ROM, do you have any further details?

P

Paul,

I'm running the 0622 ROM, and I quite like it. Why?

- Overall speed is smoother than FR19RC1

- No more "app install lag"

- Battery life improved again (specially with the 622 baseband)

You can download the full rom here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1138049

What kinds of tweaks did you made?

Edited by Jay_Snake

Guest Ferrum Master
does that mean we should also get the ril from our official build or is the one included with custom roms universal

From my experience with XPERIA X10 and many other dozen phones(I am repair technician official for certain brands and have access to certain manufacturer information and bulletins), SE did implement many baseband versions lately. With improper basebands in some countries were reports about delayed SMS problems, disconnections from the tower(phone can not be reached by a call, despite the fact that the bars are normally full and cell info is displayed as usual). Also battery drain could be cause of that... as a dirty workaround RIL asks additional info to the cell, to check in way to often as it should be.

I remember old SEMC DB3150 R6xxxx problems(DB2020 also had it, same radio modules Ray/Marlin). LG had also some units with SE's CPU!, but their software was built from older R6 SDK for A200 platform, and suffered exactly with no network syndrome. SE released R8xxxx, but LG didn't move a finger. And this problem existed only for one certain carrier in our country... so make your judgment by yourselves.

As far I understand, we should stick to our EMEA at least... not experimenting with USA or Asian basebands or carrier specific ones. We have to be careful, and if we are reporting some problems, we have to take also this argument into our objective judgment.

Edited by Ferrum Master

Guest PAQman
I think this is what you are looking for.

That's only the baseband and the ril.

the rest of the rom is here -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1138049

It's really worth taking a look at it. As I said, the reboots seems to be gone, it feels smoother, the lockscreen hides the screen correctly when you turn it on, app install lag is gone and a real good battery life.