Steve's Next project

Guest mba07

Guest blimey

Is there any possibility of fixing the dropdown menu and other places that don't scale correctly if dpi is something lower than 160?

Guest tv-arnd
already have the carrier text removed from status bar courtesy of someone on xda :D

I liked the transparent option

Carrier id is not a bad thing, esp. when travelling and roaming. Liked the transparent option too, but this conflicts with the date display at the same position. I guess it is just right in 1.9.0.

Guest jmhalder

I know this isn't a support thread, but I'd like more phone stability. I'm on 1.9.0b5 (I haven't gone to the "GM" build, I dont think much changed), but my install.txt is:

tabmail

us180

tabletphone

my phone.apk FC's during calls, sometimes after I drop a call, I get a "NO SIM" in the notification bar. I'm in a moderate signal area, sometimes the call drops because of signal issues, sometimes the call drops cause of rom issues. I seem to have the same kind of problems on a OEM build (rooted with density @ 180-190). The only variable would really be that I'm not running 160 dpi either way. Is the density setting whats causing my problems? If so, another reason to go CM7.

Guest Stephen Hyde

its pretty well known that the stock dell dialer ONLY works at 160 dpi, and will crash at any other res, tabletphone seems to fix this quite alot

Guest disco77

FOR PEEPS WITH BAD EYESIGHT...

again, thanks to DJS for a great job, I cant remember a phone I've not got bored with nr a years ownership, and all because of all this wonderful tinkering!

I'm getting blind as a bat so teetermod and 1.6.1, ADW launcher with Honeycomb UI looks fantastic and more importantly easily to see without glasses. You dont get front camera and you cant see a name for whos calling but easily rectified with an audible id app........

Guest sozofriend1234

Hi Steve,

Sorry if it is not a correct suggestion but can we add a dialer which supports Video calling and do not have to use Fring or ooVoo etc. as it is in many other phones. I had LG KS20 prior to Streak and even that Tiny phone had Video Calling in dialer itself.

Guest extrememonkey

Did anything ever come of the miui release Steve was working on???? Maybe that could be his new play thing!!!

I know the English version has been ported to several other devices, but also know that Dell have not made things easy so devs to do this on the Streak, only wish I knew something/anything that I could do to help!!!

Guest mrmrmrmr
Hi Steve,

Sorry if it is not a correct suggestion but can we add a dialer which supports Video calling and do not have to use Fring or ooVoo etc. as it is in many other phones. I had LG KS20 prior to Streak and even that Tiny phone had Video Calling in dialer itself.

that comes embedded with...

... Gingerbread !

Guest WakeRider89

Idk if many other people have noticed this but I want to say I received better signal quality of both 3g and wifi(at&t us) on 1.6 and 2.1 stock roms. im not sure if its something simple or not on steves roms but ive been following since i think it was 1.4.6, been so many i cant remember.

anyways if someone has some knowledge of this please feel free to enlighten me

otherwise maybe steve could throw in a super juice signal boost :D

Guest sozofriend1234
that comes embedded with...

... Gingerbread !

Hi,

Do we have a gingerbread ROM from Streak in that case?? May be Steve can help with this for now..

Guest Stephen Hyde

ive said before gingerbread im looking at but courtesy of dell and qualcomm not releasing some sources its slow work and may never happen, and im much less inclined to do it when i have certain members constantly complaining and pushing for it without offering any sort of help and who have admitted to never having even bothered to donate to my wor, and gingerbread is 95% graphical update not much in the way of features, and its a lot slower imo than 2.2

Guest Techneut
ive said before gingerbread im looking at but courtesy of dell and qualcomm not releasing some sources its slow work and may never happen, and im much less inclined to do it when i have certain members constantly complaining and pushing for it without offering any sort of help and who have admitted to never having even bothered to donate to my wor, and gingerbread is 95% graphical update not much in the way of features, and its a lot slower imo than 2.2

Please don't look at only ONE person who seems to be too egotistic and just doesn't want to stimulate your work... ;)

All the others, including me, are appreciating your efforts VERY much. :D

Just my two cents...

B)

Guest mrmrmrmr

Steve,

I think we have a communication problem with you. Because whatever I say, you get it wrong.

Maybe it's because that my mother language is not English. I don't know the exact reason but you really are getting me wrong.

first;

I am not complaining or pushing. I am just putting a fact that Gingerbread is good (at least from my point of view). It might not be possible to port it to Streak. It may be very hard, or even impossible. But that won't make me say it's good and worths the effort.

second;

I am not in a situation to offer you any help. If you believe, I can help in any way, I would be more than happy to help for you and for the community. It's just that I don't have any knowledge about compiling roms.

When I do something for the community (if I can), I am getting very happy. For example, for several times I compiled the tunnel module for different ROM builds which I never used. I even tried to compile cifs module which I don't even need. (I couldn't succeed in compiling that anyway)

third and last;

yes, I didn't donate for your work. Because I don't donate for anyone's work if I am not obliged to do so. What I understand from donation is that the donator decides and if he has the money to donate, he does so. Even though I appreciate your work (VERY MUCH), I didn't feel like donating and didn't do so.

And I am saying, I don't count giving 5 bucks as a donation to such work. One should at least donate 20$ to 50$ for a work like yours. I've donated to such work 2 times in my PDA/mobile life and that was 50$ each time.

Guest mrmrmrmr
who said i was, tho i think ill be seriously looking at a way to block said user ;p

I think that "said user" is me. I don't know if it will help you but my primary google account is the same as my nickname (mrmrmrmr)

If it will make you happy, block that google account from using your roms. Then your roms will be unusable for me.

As I said in my previous post, I am very happy using your roms and I really appreciate your work. But if "me using your roms" disturbs you, then I won't.

But don't tell me it's because I didn't donate. Being honest and accepting that I didn't donate shouldn't be a reason for being blocked.

That's not the spirit of donation...

After all, there must be several users who didn't donate. It's just that they don't shout it loud like me.

Guest mrmrmrmr
Please don't look at only ONE person who seems to be too egotistic and just doesn't want to stimulate your work... ;)

All the others, including me, are appreciating your efforts VERY much. :D

Just my two cents...

B)

How do you come to the conclusion that I don't stimulate Steve's work ?

How can you say that I am not appreciating Steve's efforts ?

Is it because I didn't donate ?

Donation is something, appreciating a work is totally a different thing.

If you appreciate a work you can consider donating but it is NOT necessary...

Guest jmhalder
So I promissed myself to donate for the first working,stable gingerbread release that will come. I hope that happens before I go and purchase a Samsung Tab...

I know that Steve won't do it because he doesn't like Gingerbread...

btw, I don't count giving 5 bucks as a donation...

It's because you're rude, maybe you aren't trying to be. Maybe this is a problem with language differences. But I'm sure others are seeing it like I am. As mentioned also, $5>$0

Edited by jmhalder

Guest gypsydigi

I am very happy with steves work... I didnt donate but I do intend to when I get some money... I did donate to the website as a whole though. But life comes first and there are many other things that I would rather spend my money on.

I see donations as a perk of doing this type of development. and develop for the passion of developing.

I think this thread has a lot of miscommunication.

Love the great work youve been doing steve. Keep up the good work. If I ever win the lotto ill give you a salary so you can develop all day

Guest superutp
It's because you're rude, maybe you aren't trying to be. Maybe this is a problem with language differences. But I'm sure others are seeing it like I am. As mentioned also, $5>$0

yup I agree...its the attitude that counts more than anything else...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mellojoe
its pretty well known that the stock dell dialer ONLY works at 160 dpi, and will crash at any other res, tabletphone seems to fix this quite alot

I love everything about your work, Steve. In fact, when my Dad bought a Streak, I finally convinced him to go to your ROM. *teehee* I'm happy I did, too.

My only request, and if you are looking for requests, would be this: To get the dialer to work with other densities. My dad's poor eyesight is the #1 reason he went with a Dell STREAK. The larger screen, the larger fonts, etc. I've got him using LCD_density 200 and the phone calls do crash from time to time. Last I heard, tabletphone wasn't working the way you wanted, so we have avoided that so far. If it is working, we'll give it a try. In fact, I probably need to try it anyway.

But, if there was a way to get the phone working perfectly on different densities, that would be brilliant.

Thanks for the hard work, mate.

Guest jmhalder
I love everything about your work, Steve. In fact, when my Dad bought a Streak, I finally convinced him to go to your ROM. *teehee* I'm happy I did, too.

My only request, and if you are looking for requests, would be this: To get the dialer to work with other densities. My dad's poor eyesight is the #1 reason he went with a Dell STREAK. The larger screen, the larger fonts, etc. I've got him using LCD_density 200 and the phone calls do crash from time to time. Last I heard, tabletphone wasn't working the way you wanted, so we have avoided that so far. If it is working, we'll give it a try. In fact, I probably need to try it anyway.

But, if there was a way to get the phone working perfectly on different densities, that would be brilliant.

Thanks for the hard work, mate.

Isn't that the point of having a RIL, so we can use standard apk's to interface with things like the phone. Is it possible to just have the AOSP phone.apk? Even if means it looks bad, I totally have to agree with the above. I LOVE using my phone at a 180-200 density, and sometimes I can't afford to drop the call. I'm back on 160 now, I like that I don't drop calls but miss the largeness. I know I can't just drop a phone/contacts apk in from a AOSP rom into /system/app/, I've tried, I think it has something to do with not having a .odex file. Any help Steve?

Guest johannes999

any hope for the MIUI Rom? I would really love to use that on my Dell Streak because the UI is beautiful, easy to use and gives a totaly different Android experience. If you could only get at least rotation and music playback working would be so awesome:)