[ROM] CyanogenMod 7

Guest AntonioPT

Guest levos

Today was CyanogenMod 7 finally released. Is it good for the development?? :)

Any good news about the cm official status??

Edited by levos

Guest arlindo.costa
About the Ndrive app crashing: It's very likely that it's the native library that is not compatible with gingerbread. Only ndrive can fix that.

I received an email from the folks at NDRIVE saying that it is compatible with Ginderbread and up to now they haven't had any problems with it. :)

Guest totiadrenalin
I received an email from the folks at NDRIVE saying that it is compatible with Ginderbread and up to now they haven't had any problems with it. :)

Copybit and sensors library problem. The problem isn't with Ndrive.

Even a simple compass app can not work properly. and with some app like PhoneTest.apk you can see that none of the sensors are working properly. They actually work, the os can detect them, but can not read the informations from them.

Also for the same reason the gallery app doesn't work like it should to.

And after the gallery or camera, or some game is started, the system get's confused for some reason, and overloading the processor. I already post a log from my phone while the system was messed few posts above.

I tried to replace the /hw library with the cm6 library, but still the same problem.

It says that some operation is not permited for the copybit.

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest pedrojaime

@thisweb - Who out there remembers hacking with their Sharp Zaurus SL5500 a decade ago trying to get all this functionality that we have today? We couldn't even get telephony working then, just PDA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Zaurus

@AntonioPT - according to this post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=96018

"There is a huge problem with OpenGL development right now.

The current OpenGL Version is 4.0, but you can only find tutorials/resources for 2.0. They changed huge parts of OpenGL in 2.1 so if you want to learn the current OpenGL, you have to wait a few more months until more documentation is available. Many libraries, like SDL and Qt don't support the current OpenGL version in their stable releases, only deprecated versions."

I realise this is almost a year ago that this was posted but ever since going to kernel 2.6.32 on my Archlinux box, just get a black screen with Opengl applications. Not sure how much/far this has progressed since I am still having these issues on 2.6.37 kernel in Linux, have not tested OpenGL on 2.6.38 though. So yes, AFAIK there are outstanding bugs in OpenGL at the moment..

I am really amazed with how well Gingerbread is working on U8220-6 btw, excellent work! :)

EDIT: Does anyone know why installs of apps cause CM7 to reboot? Is this the aforementioned 'copybit problem' Does anyone know what the status is on this bug or has someone found a way around it?? thanks TomG, will wait for your update with the copybit situation.. Very happy you are able to reduce /system in size since I must use Venezuela 2.1 rom to get the 3G frequencies right and cannot put Hungary 2.1 rom that kills my 3G AFAIK? thanks again for your great work!

/peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest Boony123

the pulse can only use 1.2 OpenGL becuase of hardware i think? anything more and I dont think the GPU can deal with the processes? I dont know though. This rom is fine very stable, "bit" slow but im not all for speed when you can copy an paste sooooo much easier :) but cam not working sucks. wish I knew more about kernel editing to mess :)

Good job on this ROM guys :)

Guest pedrojaime

Is it possible that my 'reboot-on-install' issue is down to low system space?? I fixed this same issue on CyanogenMod6 just now by moving apps+cache to sd and fixing permissions using Rom Manager as per the forums. Has someone done the same on Gingerbread to fix the reboot issue??

Just wondering if Huawei U8220-6 has enough juice to handle Gingerbread+installing a few large 3rd party apps (like whatsapp, skype, facebook, titanium backup..) before I try 2.3.3 again. More than anything, I think I need to buy a larger SD card. For the CPU there is always overclocking.

thanks,

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest jimmie32

There is a difference between OpenGL (mainstream) and OpenGL ES (mobile)...

Current ES revision is 2.x. 4.x is desktop.

It'd be great if there was 2.x support - if the pulse can hold it - because there's native antialiasing support. I hate looking at jagged graphics.

Though that's going to halve the already poor framerates we get...

Edit: oh and the reboots are definitely not system/data issue. My u8220 has a 228MiB system and nearly 300MiB for data. Not a problem.

Edited by jimmie32

Guest Boony123
Is it possible that my 'reboot-on-install' issue is down to low system space?? I fixed this same issue on CyanogenMod6 just now by moving apps+cache to sd and fixing permissions using Rom Manager as per the forums. Has someone done the same on Gingerbread to fix the reboot issue??

Just wondering if Huawei U8220-6 has enough juice to handle Gingerbread+installing a few large 3rd party apps (like whatsapp, skype, facebook, titanium backup..) before I try 2.3.3 again. More than anything, I think I need to buy a larger SD card. For the CPU there is always overclocking.

thanks,

Peter

did you do a system/cached/data wipe before the install normal the reboot on install is issues with a conflict with old data from a different rom.

Edited by Boony123

Guest pedrojaime

Yes, I did a complete wipe of everything (factory reset and cache). I don't think its a space issue. I have since disabled animations to make the phone faster and overclocked and can now install apps from market no problem but I cannot install from .apks on my sd card (keepass as an example). I have a few .apk files saved on SD card but phone reboots just as it seems the install is about to complete. I believe my phone is now in a pretty clean state. I have 2.3.3 running nicely, just wish I could install a few apps. I ran 'root uninstaller' last night and backed-up and removed 'google partner' and 'html viewer'. Are there any others I could take off without affecting the underlying system? I now have:

SD card: Total space - 1.33Gb; available space - 586Mb

Internal Storage: Total space - 80.25Mb; available space - 36.98Mb

Memory Info shows 30Mb available; out of total of 104Mb (is 30Mb what's left free of the phone RAM?)

I have memory usage on my home screen showing 4500kb - 8000kb depending on what I am doing on the phone. (does this show interface RAM usage?)

So, how could I verify there is no leftover code from previous roms? Would logcat output tell me why local installations are failing?

Here's an RFE (unless this functionality exists already): ability to have increasing volume in ringtones (as they are playing)

Many thanks for your patience with an Android newbie! CyanogenMod7 is amazing!

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest totiadrenalin

thanks,

Peter

Open the rom zip

Move the Laucherpro app in syste/app/ and delete /app floder from /data.

And after installing the rom format the data once again, or fully wipe - factory reset. and after that first boot your phone without flashing the dta2sd and gapps.

boot to recovery once again.

then flash first dta2sd, boot once again.

install some app stored on your sd via file manager.

Open the terminal

type this: a2sd reinstall

(the phone will reboot)

once again open the terminal. type:

a2sd cachesd

(it'll reboot once again)

And after that type:

a2sd swappy30

and reboot in recovery.

Than flash the gapps.

And that's it.

The problem is with the incorrect chown of the /data/app direcotry

It need's to be root, but it's system for some reason.

That's why you can't install

and even see the market app.

Guest pedrojaime
Open the rom zip

Move the Laucherpro app in syste/app/ and delete /app floder from /data.

And after installing the rom format the data once again, or fully wipe - factory reset. and after that first boot your phone without flashing the dta2sd and gapps.

boot to recovery once again.

then flash first dta2sd, boot once again.

install some app stored on your sd via file manager.

Open the terminal

type this: a2sd reinstall

(the phone will reboot)

once again open the terminal. type:

a2sd cachesd

(it'll reboot once again)

And after that type:

a2sd swappy30

and reboot in recovery.

Than flash the gapps.

And that's it.

The problem is with the incorrect chown of the /data/app direcotry

It need's to be root, but it's system for some reason.

That's why you can't install

and even see the market app.

Thanks a lot Totiadrenalin, however, doing this I have encounterd other issues. I moved launcher pro.apk from /data/apps to /system/apps and deleted /data/apps folder like you said. However, I then zipped up the folder with a different name and tried to flash (after wiping). This seems to bomb out. I am compressing the file with 7-zip. Is there anything else I have to do to get the file to flash correctly with clockwork? Signature verification is not on when I try to flash btw.

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest sun lbx

hi there

does anyone know anythin bouta official cm7 release??

i can be wrong now, but i heard that all the roms for all supported devices were released recently.

for all phonez but pulse.

If im wrong, give up my post.

if im right, please share your opinions about WTF :)

Guest Casterina
hi there

does anyone know anythin bouta official cm7 release??

i can be wrong now, but i heard that all the roms for all supported devices were released recently.

for all phonez but pulse.

If im wrong, give up my post.

if im right, please share your opinions about WTF :)

The Pulse might have a offical CM7 status hopefully this week :)

Guest Casterina

Btw, In Antonios first post where he mentions that the compcache should be off by default. But, isn't it compcache virtual RAM.. which should be considered as a good thing , Its like SWAP where a chunk of your SWAP is used as RAM for the phone :s correct me if im wrong :)

Guest sun lbx

whoof

i used to think that SWAP is a chunk of your sdcard which is used as RAM.

and COMPCACHE is a compressed area of RAM so that it can store more data

Guest pedrojaime

but as I understand it, compressed ram (using compacache) is slower than using normal ram, so there is a trade off. Looking forward to official CM7!

Guest sun lbx

yes, obviously, Compcache RAM area is slower than normal RAM.

but sometimes overall amount of RAM is prior to response time.

and COMPCACHE can either speed up or slow down the phone.

with Low-RAM phones like Pulse it enables more-o-less usable multitasking without creating SWAP partition.

Guest Casterina
whoof

i used to think that SWAP is a chunk of your sdcard which is used as RAM.

and COMPCACHE is a compressed area of RAM so that it can store more data

I thought that the compcache uses some MORE chunks from the sdcard.. like SWAP..

Looks like i was wrong haha, this is could be the reason why my CM6 was runnig a bit slow "/

Guest totiadrenalin
Thanks a lot Totiadrenalin, however, doing this I have encounterd other issues. I moved launcher pro.apk from /data/apps to /system/apps and deleted /data/apps folder like you said. However, I then zipped up the folder with a different name and tried to flash (after wiping). This seems to bomb out. I am compressing the file with 7-zip. Is there anything else I have to do to get the file to flash correctly with clockwork? Signature verification is not on when I try to flash btw.

Maybe the problem is with out of memory in system when you move the launcherpro app in system.

Unzip this file and put the Launcher2.apk in system/app

This is the official Launcher from android 2.3.3 sdk.

It should work.

And don't unzip the rom

Just open it and do the things

remove the /data/app file with the launcherpro app inside

You can install it after you finish installing the rom.

Launcher2.zip

Guest totiadrenalin
I thought that the compcache uses some MORE chunks from the sdcard.. like SWAP..

Looks like i was wrong haha, this is could be the reason why my CM6 was runnig a bit slow "/

I'm testing this rom for two days.

I was so excited so I couldn't miss the chance to try it.

:)

It's much faster then cm6 and to be honest it's a bit more stable then cm6.

Just some polishing are needed.

Like the copybit, the sensors, and some profile group problem. As fare as I can see in the logcat.

The sensors are working perfect, but the OS can not read the informations correctly.

The magnetic field sensor, the digital compas, and the temperature sensors.

The rotation is working just perfect, and has never stack until now.

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest totiadrenalin
yes, obviously, Compcache RAM area is slower than normal RAM.

but sometimes overall amount of RAM is prior to response time.

and COMPCACHE can either speed up or slow down the phone.

with Low-RAM phones like Pulse it enables more-o-less usable multitasking without creating SWAP partition.

The compcache isn't seperated swap partition.

It's just part of the ram used as swap.

And it is slower only because the processor need to compress and decompress the data that need to be cached.

And you won't and up with more ram, just less memory will be marked as inactive from the OS, and will be used as swap.

And the compcache is kind a swap.