[ROM] CyanogenMod 7

Guest AntonioPT

Guest twrock
Hello can I ask for new update

thanks

Of course you can.

You can also ask for a million dollars, a free Porsche, and to be married to a supermodel. :P

Guest arlindo.costa
Of course you can.

You can also ask for a million dollars, a free Porsche, and to be married to a supermodel. :P

I just want to .... win the Euro Millions :rolleyes:

Guest totiadrenalin

And of course I can ask for a new Nexus S for example!

But who on earth could give it for fre?

Hahahaha!

There's nothing wrong with asking for new update, but the problem is that if we are all resting in background and waiting for new update, we'll never get it that way.

This forum is for developers, testers and regular users of course.

But the regulars users always asking for something new and more from the developers, and never try to ask them self, what will happend if we all are only waiting for new update from the developers, and never even think to help them with development.

If you doesn't have ability in development of course everybody can test the roms , and report the issues, but first of all read the forum carefully first.

And try to respect the developers as they respect them self.

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest urom
And of course I can ask for a new Nexus S for example!

But who on earth could give it for fre?

Hahahaha!

There's nothing wrong with asking for new update, but the problem is that if we are all resting in background and waiting for new update, we'll never get it that way.

This forum is for developers, testers and regular users of course.

But the regulars users always asking for something new and more from the developers, and never try to ask them self, what will happend if we all are only waiting for new update from the developers, and never even think to help them with development.

If you doesn't have ability in development of course everybody can test the roms , and report the issues, but first of all read the forum carefully first.

And try to respect the developers as they respect them self.

Toti, well spoken!

As I am scripting around with php, mysql and so on, I really do know what it takes to do the work you are doing. Torturing youre brain for hours and hours til you get the knack :rolleyes: - or not :P .

I do humble take what you provide beeing happy whith what I get. I dont post much in forums but read a lot, and you can be assured that I appreciate your work VERY much!

I got my pulse in late '09 and isn't it fantastic how far we you devs came!

THANK YOU!

regards

uli

Guest totiadrenalin
Toti, well spoken!

As I am scripting around with php, mysql and so on, I really do know what it takes to do the work you are doing. Torturing youre brain for hours and hours til you get the knack :rolleyes: - or not :P .

I do humble take what you provide beeing happy whith what I get. I dont post much in forums but read a lot, and you can be assured that I appreciate your work VERY much!

I got my pulse in late '09 and isn't it fantastic how far we you devs came!

THANK YOU!

regards

uli

I must admit that I do not quite understand a lot of java, but on account of it for 15 years I know how operating systems really breathe.

And to be honest, for tangible reasons, the first time in my life I bought a computer two years ago.

But as already said, more than 15 years I was close friend with computers.

Even since I was 2 years kid, when was starting to speak, my first connected sentence was: Daddy buy me a computer. That's what my parents told me.

And I do quite understand PHP, C#, C++ and Basic programming languages.

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest UTOPY
After one year and so making experiments over my Pulse, with several of Android roms, I get a clear answer!

Our phone can not perform speed and stability.

Do you want your phone to be very stable, and with no single FC, no matter the rom you put in your phone?

Well then!

Simply fallow my instructions.

First of all!

Forget the speed!

First the rools!

01. Never Enable the JIT

02. Never set the dalvik heap to high.

03. Never use compcache.

04. Use only swap!

05. Never use the Froyo+ integrated apps2sd!

06. Use only the dta2sd.

07. Never overclock to much your CPU!

08. If you really want to overclock the cpu then never overclock it over 614MHZ!

09. Never use Auto Task Killer apps!

10. Never try to compare the pulse Speed performances with some other Android device!

Now the instructions!

01. If the jit is enabled then disable it from the terminal, or from the cyanogenmod settings

02. Set the dalvik heap from 16-22 depending of the size of the swap partition you create on your sdcard.

03. Immediately disable the compcahe from cyanogenmod settings.

04. Partition your sdcard with ext2, swap, and fat32 partitions. - the swap partitions should be between 32-64MB, and swappiness between 15-30%.

Depending of the swap partition size. As bigger the swap size is as less the swappy should be!

05. After you partition your sdcard with ext2 and swap partitions, you can move both: apps and dalvik-cache to sd-ext or /system/sd depending of the android version.

Both /sd-ext/ and /system/sd are the same, just that froyo+ mount the ext partition to /sd-ext/ and eclair to /system/sd/

But never try to move the Android apps data to the ext partition!

06. If you use some overclocked kernel, immediately set the CPU freq to 614MHZ or lower.

You can use the SetCPU app for that purpose, or if you have the CM7 rom on your phone, then set the CPU speed from the cyanogenmod settings.

07. I really strongly suggest you to do not try to compare the PULSE speed performances with any other Android device.

You will never make your phone running faster without losing the stability of your phone!

I truly hope that this could help you guys!

Best regards

TOTI

Toti thank you for your advice with the JIT disabled and an adjustment dalvik Set the heap from 20 to 64 mb swap and swappiness Between 15.

With my huawei ROM TWROCK 0.33 runs without slowdown.

a big thank you for your expert advice.

Guest Casterina
Toti thank you for your advice with the JIT disabled and an adjustment dalvik Set the heap from 20 to 64 mb swap and swappiness Between 15.

With my huawei ROM TWROCK 0.33 runs without slowdown.

a big thank you for your expert advice.

+1 :rolleyes:

Is it just me, or do you feel that the battery last much more longer with twrock 0.33

Before the phone was at 70% at around 3pm. Even at 11pm, its at 80% with heavy texting :P

Guest twrock
04. Partition your sdcard with ext2, swap, and fat32 partitions. - the swap partitions should be between 32-64MB, and swappiness between 15-30%.

Depending of the swap partition size. As bigger the swap size is as less the swappy should be!

I think a lot of people still don't understand this. It is non-intuitive, so they misunderstand. But Toti has said it correctly here again.

So for example, in my case, I have a swap partition of 32mb. I set the swappiness to 30. That works well for me.

But previously I had a swap partition of 64mb. Then I needed to set swappiness at 15 to have it work well. If I set swappiness higher, I started to get terrible lag.

And one more thing. In my experimentation, the "Basic" and TWeak roms defaulted to swappy 30 because compcache was enabled by default. But after disabling compcache, the swappiness jumped up to 60, even without me setting it. So then I had to go back in the set swappy30. So it is always a good idea to check all the settings after you make any change and then reboot. You might be surprised at what happens without you knowing. :P

Guest UTOPY
I think a lot of people still don't understand this. It is non-intuitive, so they misunderstand. But Toti has said it correctly here again.

So for example, in my case, I have a swap partition of 32mb. I set the swappiness to 30. That works well for me.

But previously I had a swap partition of 64mb. Then I needed to set swappiness at 15 to have it work well. If I set swappiness higher, I started to get terrible lag.

And one more thing. In my experimentation, the "Basic" and TWeak roms defaulted to swappy 30 because compcache was enabled by default. But after disabling compcache, the swappiness jumped up to 60, even without me setting it. So then I had to go back in the set swappy30. So it is always a good idea to check all the settings after you make any change and then reboot. You might be surprised at what happens without you knowing. :P

Hello TWROCK,

For you it is better to use a SWAP with a 32 MB swappiness 30 compared to 64 MB and SWAP swappiness of 15?

Thank you for your response and your work for your ROM.

Guest twrock
Hello TWROCK,

For you it is better to use a SWAP with a 32 MB swappiness 30 compared to 64 MB and SWAP swappiness of 15?

Thank you for your response and your work for your ROM.

I can't say. But I didn't see any point in wasting space on my SD card, so I set my swap file at 32mb. Maybe someone who understands more can tell us why one is better than the other. (Or maybe they are the same.)

Guest totiadrenalin
I can't say. But I didn't see any point in wasting space on my SD card, so I set my swap file at 32mb. Maybe someone who understands more can tell us why one is better than the other. (Or maybe they are the same.)

I have 64mb swap partition, and swappy15, But I can't found any differences between 64mb swap and swappy15 / 32mb swap and swappy30.

Guest UTOPY
I have 64mb swap partition, and swappy15, But I can't found any differences between 64mb swap and swappy15 / 32mb swap and swappy30.

Hello all,

Thank you for your answer is no remorse I continue with my SWAP 64 MB because I do not need more space on my card.

Good evening from France.

Guest jafp

I have 64mb swap partition, swappy was at 60, i change to 15 but when i restart de device it change again the swappy to 60, if someone have any idea, please let me now.

Thanks for all this recommendations to improve the functioning of our device.

Guest Casterina

Do people feel that they see a big difference in battery life with the recommendations which Toti said with the CM7 rom?

Guest twrock
I have 64mb swap partition, swappy was at 60, i change to 15 but when i restart de device it change again the swappy to 60, if someone have any idea, please let me now.

Thanks for all this recommendations to improve the functioning of our device.

Are you setting this via Terminal Emulator or A2SD GUI? I suggest you set it via Terminal Emulator.

Open Terminal Emulator.

Then,

su

a2sd swappy15

That should do it.

Guest jafp
Are you setting this via Terminal Emulator or A2SD GUI? I suggest you set it via Terminal Emulator.

Open Terminal Emulator.

Then,

su

a2sd swappy15

That should do it.

Your suggestion works, thanks TWROCK!

I was settings via A2SD Settings, now i set via Terminal Emulator, i reboot and it's ok.

Guest twrock
Do people feel that they see a big difference in battery life with the recommendations which Toti said with the CM7 rom?

I don't use CM7, but with CM6, I have not see a difference. But on the other hand, I also haven't seen a drop in performance either, so all is well.

Since the only differences between what Toti suggested and what I was already using was JIT (Toti recommends OFF and I had it ON) and Heapsize (Toti recommends 16-22 and I was using 24), maybe there wasn't enough change to notice.

As always, YMMV.

Guest twrock

Yes, in the past with 2.1 roms I was using 64mb with swappy15. 32/30 "seems" no different. So my experience is the same as yours.

But of course I haven't done any real testing, so that is just my feeling.

Guest darkdevil1

Is Dalvik heap the same as VM heap size in Cyanogen mod settings? I made a 64mb swap partition, so should I just keep it on the default 24m?

Guest Casterina
Is Dalvik heap the same as VM heap size in Cyanogen mod settings? I made a 64mb swap partition, so should I just keep it on the default 24m?

Yes it is, i believe. I set mine to 16m

Guest totiadrenalin
Yes it is, i believe. I set mine to 16m

Why does Dalvik (VM) heap size depending of the swap size and swappiness?

Well as bigger the dalvik heap is as more ram memory it give to separate process.

And as you know that swap is actually a cache for the unused processes?!

Than as bigger swap is as higher the vm heap can be!

But I think so that the best value of the vm heap will be 22m.

It is only my personal opinion!

And why not JIT?

Well our processor can not stand it!

It actually can not stand more than 10 apps in process without JIT.

I've been testing this thing, and trust me, when did I lye you guys?

And why not task killers?

Well, the auto task killer apps are some kind preventing the phone from sleeping, to kill the apps even when the phone is sleeping.

When you put the phone to sleep, after 90 seconds you should get absolutely no log at all in adb logcat !

If you get any log (debug), then something is happening with your phone. And if it's not some incoming: sms, call, or email. Than you will have to take kare of it.

Because that's what reducing the battery life.

Best Regards

TOTI

Edited by totiadrenalin