nVidia drops support for Tegra Harmony

Guest JingleManSweep

Guest mintvilla
How refreshing. Another Honeycomb thread, and repeating everything that's been said :)

how refreshing - a useless comment that adds nothing to the thread.

Theres alot of new vega owners at the minute, have more patience.

Also - if you read the title, its about nvidia dropping support for its hardware, its not another when are we getting honeycomb thread.

Guest simonta

Also - if you read the title, its about nvidia dropping support for its hardware, its not another when are we getting honeycomb thread.

Yes, but that news was posted here weeks ago, and exactly the same discussion followed. How does constantly duplicating, as most threads do, help newcomers?

Guest peter a

Well I`m just saying, if it is supported by nVidia , Why are the Kernel / Firmware so bad?

Hardware you can`t change , but the Kernel / Firmware should be right .

So now it`s not supported by nVidia, what chance have we got.

So will it make people find way around it and improve in ways nVidia could not ?

Guest steviesteve

I couldnt care less and I dont know anyone who ever bought a new car with the hope that the manufacturer would improve it free of charge with future updates! As far as i see, the Vega works well with the latest ROM and if you stick a custom ROM you can improve it yourself. Its like when Apple release new products and everyone moans that they got ripped off. Point Im trying to make is, if it currently does what you want to and the price is right then buy it now, if it doesnt then wait until it does to pay up, never get roped into a sale on the ideal of continued support or free of charge upgrades.... that would be foolish surely?!?!

Guest Logseman
I couldnt care less and I dont know anyone who ever bought a new car with the hope that the manufacturer would improve it free of charge with future updates! As far as i see, the Vega works well with the latest ROM and if you stick a custom ROM you can improve it yourself. Its like when Apple release new products and everyone moans that they got ripped off. Point Im trying to make is, if it currently does what you want to and the price is right then buy it now, if it doesnt then wait until it does to pay up, never get roped into a sale on the ideal of continued support or free of charge upgrades.... that would be foolish surely?!?!

Even Apple takes 2 years to completely update away its devices. This product (Harmony) isn't even 9 months in the market and it's already discontinued. Tablets are not cars, and just therefore we want to have some support for what we bought.

Guest Logseman
The "Fragments" API has already been released as a static library compatible with older versions of Android going back to 1.6, so HC has no advantage there.

As regards the modders, well not all of them can afford to upgrade their devices, and it's the ones who can't just go and buy a bigger better device that will put in the serious hours getting the most out of what they have already.

I saw recently over on xda a modder reveal that he will be devving for the Asus transformer and it will be good because he is the CM vega maintainer. Well if he is the vega maintainer, why is it that Mad Murdock is doing all the work and actually bringing us something useful, and not him? (I remember one beta build he did, but's that's it) All talk and no action it seems, and I don't think we will miss him too much.

He did two beta builds, in which the device became CM7-fit. Mad-Murdock is doing a superb job, but he's standing on BumbleBee's work. Who, by the way, made it possible for us to receive CM7 nightlies by putting the Vega in the list of CM-maintained devices.

I am of the opinion that more respect to the people who bring us so much good for free deserve more recognition and respect than that which you're showing now.

Guest steviesteve
Even Apple takes 2 years to completely update away its devices. This product (Harmony) isn't even 9 months in the market and it's already discontinued. Tablets are not cars, and just therefore we want to have some support for what we bought.

What support specifically? I mean, what more do you want (the combination or hardware/software that you purchased) it to do? And what sort of subscription are you prepared to pay if any. Why did you buy this if you werent happy with the current level of capability. Really, this sort of thing gets brought up frequently with Android devices and I just dont get it... Dont buy it if you want it to do more. The manufacturer has a obligation to fix any problems but none to improving or developing a finished product. I say this all sincerely with no intention to upset or frustrate.

Might I add a thankyou to those who do create the custom ROMs...

Edited by steviesteve

Guest zzleezz

Whilst manufacturers like Nvidia are not obliged to support a given device/hardware for future software updates, it has become the norm for them to do so and therefore there is an expectation. When they dont meet their loyal customers expectations the loyal customers will become less loyal in the future and given that there doesnt seem to be much competition for Nvidia in the tablet market right now there really isnt much we can do about it.

They have us over a barrel and what this very short lifespan for our beloved chipset means is that if we want to have an official HC device we are going to have to spend some more money and make Nvidia a little bit more money.

Its just the way it is, nothing we can do about it. But, do those that feel burned by Nvidia feel that their Vega will be without HC? I seriously doubt that, it will end up shoehorned on there one way or another, and yes it might not be 100% functional but show me a stock rom that is :)

Guest craskman

I have post on this nvidia forum, the more they get,.. more chances we might have to call their attention and change their position.

The issue here is not just the end of support for harmony based tablets, but also the attitude of leaving thousands of customers with an obsolete tablet in few months. And they know that 99% of those customers are expecting Honeycomb ever since. I bet that will be more harmony tablets sold than any other nvidia based tablets by the end of 2011. Or maybe not due this news.

my 2 cents...

CrK

Guest princeotter
I have post on this nvidia forum, the more they get,.. more chances we might have to call their attention and change their position.

The issue here is not just the end of support for harmony based tablets, but also the attitude of leaving thousands of customers with an obsolete tablet in few months. And they know that 99% of those customers are expecting Honeycomb ever since. I bet that will be more harmony tablets sold than any other nvidia based tablets by the end of 2011. Or maybe not due this news.

my 2 cents...

CrK

Well I bought the Vega as a cheap tablet to have a bit of fun with and to save having to boot up the netbook. So what if I don't get Honeycomb or whatever or that Nvidiia stops support. At the moment it does what I want and lets me play around with various apps. Christ £250 - thats barely 3 mins worth of an overinflated Chelsea players salary (me upset about Chelsea losing .. surely not). In 6 months time technology will have moved on and I 'll have yet another outdated tech product to add to the collection. Whatever.... One thing is certain in todays life... you buy something today and something better will be out soon after

Guest craskman
Well I bought the Vega as a cheap tablet to have a bit of fun with and to save having to boot up the netbook. So what if I don't get Honeycomb or whatever or that Nvidiia stops support. At the moment it does what I want and lets me play around with various apps. Christ £250 - thats barely 3 mins worth of an overinflated Chelsea players salary (me upset about Chelsea losing .. surely not). In 6 months time technology will have moved on and I 'll have yet another outdated tech product to add to the collection. Whatever.... One thing is certain in todays life... you buy something today and something better will be out soon after

I kinda agree with you, actually I was lucky enough to buy mine for £190 on pixmania (during that special and unique last Nov weekend). Currently, my vega is more a toy for my kids than anything else. But still sad because nvidia knows how many harmony's they have sold and most of those users have bought it thinking on honeycomb, they know it but still,.. money speaks louder. This is the attitude I am against.

Maybe, next time i will get one of those new galaxy tabs, they don't use nvidia i suppose.:)

Guest diamondgar

latest from the Nvidia board, to be honest im a little confused by all this. As it stands i fear we will never have a tablet that lives up to its potential because Nvidia wont release the drivers. I know they're not required to but i expected the vega to be upgraded and i will be disappointed if its not. It will likely put me off going with Nvidia in the future if i can avoid it.

UPDATE 12 APRIL 2011:

Sorry folks looks like I caused a bit of confusion. Since this is a developer forum my comments

were targeted at Tegra Honeycomb developers and for this we’d like to focus on Ventana. For shipping or production products, customers should contact the device makers directly for OS support plans. They are responsible for the OS shipping on their device.

In relation to our linux kernel git repository, NVIDIA will continue to provide full open-source support for all of our kernel components and will push more of that upstream over time.

Andrew Edelsten

Tegra Developer Relations

NVIDIA Corporation

Guest warriorscot

It's not like the NVidia ROM actually works either, its only a guide to manufacturers. We have had a couple of manufacturers saying they are working on Honeycomb. Certainly the whole thing with google has delayed the process but it hasn't stopped it.

Guest El Nino9
erm? Look at the dates... March 16th its really old news..... we already knew this.

This doesn't mean that Honeycomb won't work.

Harmony was only supported up to android 2.2 yet we have an almost fully working 2.3 build in CM7... HC will be the same, eventually it will work, maybe not fully, but it will work.

Lenny, tell em about the HTC hero days back when villian were using a CDMA port of sprint hero leak because 2.1 took for ever. yet even thought HTC have dropped that product you can get an AOSP build of froyo (froydvillian) and even gingerbread on the darn thing. same thing will be for this.

Guest craskman

I think the issue is not on nvidia ROM but on nvidia kernel. Basically, I think, we are all expecting nvidia to support harmony platform (drivers, etc) on their latest kernel (.36). Then it will be up to manufactures to add their own drivers (wifi, lcd, buttons, etc). Seems everybody thinks that nvidia won't be adding harmony support on their upstream kernel.

I tried many times to put it to work with vega but as far as I know, no one has been successful, not in vega or in any other harmony based tablet (though the latest upstream kernel shows harmony support). Seems that it’s broken somewhere for harmony and also seems nvidia is not too much concerned about that.

I just hope that nvidia keeps supporting harmony on their upstream kernel (a working kernel without displaying harmony just to show off).

Also, still not sure where it starts and ends the responsibility of nvidia, google and manufacturers on all of this. But I don't see the manufacturers to write kernel code specific for harmony hardware, or even google, though seems that google has been actively writing kernel code especially for xoom support. The weird thing is that I don't see motorola doing the same.

So a working kernel from nvidia and AOSP 2.3.3, I believe would be quite easy to give vega a full working CM7 ROM. Maybe the experts can clear this one out.

CrK

I am of the opinion that more respect to the people who bring us so much good for free deserve more recognition and respect than that which you're showing now.

+1 to that , any help is just that, HELP, so dont complain if its not as much as you want.

i am constantly amazed that the most ardent whiners are the ones who input the least themselves

I don't know who you are calling an ardent whiner coz I didn't complain about anything as far as I am aware. I just hadn't seen much cm7 Vega development - certainly the Vega download page is still empty. However I am currently using cm7 and appreciate the work that has been done to make it as usable as it is. On the other hand l'm not going to hero-worship devs either.

Guest yabbas
There is an explanation. And this topic has been covered numerous times on this forum and XDA...

Stop panicking people. The HTC Hero was never meant to run anything past 2.1, and mine is happily whirring away with 2.3.3.

Just because we shouldn't, doesnt mean we can't :)

True, just takes a lot longer :) Never saw the explanation mentioned anywhere...

Yes, but that news was posted here weeks ago, and exactly the same discussion followed. How does constantly duplicating, as most threads do, help newcomers?

Yup, missed those for the obvious reasons.

What are the video players folk use and what is a source of good content? Anyone got HQ iPlayer content working on-line or off line?

I'm using Rockplayer Lite - seems to work on most files I throw at it, including a recent 720P AC3 Tron 2 mkv (with subtitles.) Tron 2 plays without sound (but smooth as hot butter) using HW acceleration, using software only it works with very minor jerks.

Apple still support their devices eons down the line, so not really sure what you're on about. Since updates involve "intangible" goods like software, it's not the same as a hardware upgrade. I think the question was "if its the same chip - what exactly is the reason for no more support". But that's a moot point now because...

UPDATE 12 APRIL 2011:

Sorry folks looks like I caused a bit of confusion. Since this is a developer forum my comments

were targeted at Tegra Honeycomb developers and for this we’d like to focus on Ventana. For shipping or production products, customers should contact the device makers directly for OS support plans. They are responsible for the OS shipping on their device.

In relation to our linux kernel git repository, NVIDIA will continue to provide full open-source support for all of our kernel components and will push more of that upstream over time.

Andrew Edelsten

Tegra Developer Relations

NVIDIA Corporation

..after a thread was resurrected and more "interest" garnered by "Joe Layman" over an old March posting on the nVidia boards - the response is that we WILL get support! So yeah...all this is moot now.

Guest Lennyuk

Please stop making new posts (not just you, but everyone) for each tiny new bit of information we recieve.

This has already been logged in 2 other threads here on Modaco and two threads on XDA.

Guest elvis333
Please stop making new posts (not just you, but everyone) for each tiny new bit of information we recieve.

This has already been logged in 2 other threads here on Modaco and two threads on XDA.

Please stop telling people what to do.

Guest simonta
Please stop telling people what to do.

And I think the people here who make serious contributions are entitled to request that the clutter is reduced. Repeat threads make it much more difficult to filter what you need to know from the noise. It annoys a lot of people.

I'm with Lenny...