A "short" rant about the current state of affairs.

Guest jtc42

Guest zerosignull

I agree with the sentiment. Lots of people who think the world owes them something. Don't want to sound to old but I bet your arse a lot of the people doing the complaining are teens or in their early 20s. The concept that they bought a phone and are only entitled to expect the phone as sold to be fit for purpose by the seller just washes over them.

However, someone mentioned flame baiting in the Ps3 communities and I can kinda understand some of that. After-all, Sony, the people that made the hardware, do make updates to the software which you are entitled to. Before anyone says ure not, try telling that to someone that cannot play game X because it requires a new firmware version, which was probably just a DRM update. etc etc.

All in all it is a shame. You are essentially getting a free lunch from the ROM developers/modders who are acting as a free software development house.

Peace out ya all!

Guest Sebastian404
I've seen the same thing happen with Slashdot, digg and reddit. It seems that the larger the sample size gets, the ratio of constructive to abusive contributions swings further to the right.

In soviet Russia you abuse the sample! I'm sure there is some term to describe this phenomena, like Godwins Law or something.

I'm not sure if many of the posters here were around when the first 2.2 leak came out, and I posted an update, the RIL did'nt work and there any number of issues with it, but it was proof of concept that it worked really...

I was swamped with messages reporting the bugs, as if I was going to fix them. and within 24 hours I got a number of messages from people demanding to know when I was going to fix 2.2 since they had already sold phones on ebay as 2.2 and wanted tp start shipping them.

The SF is an amazing device for the price, the slow downgrade of screen quality since release and the sheer number of shipped devices will show you that, and it has attracted a lot of people, I'm not sure if these forums are still the more popular on modaco, or if CM7 has killed all the interest here, since its now 'done'.....

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest KillerMackem

I haven't been around for long but I really appreciate what the developers have done. My OSF is now a lot more usable than what it was when I got it out of the box. I sincerely hope they don't get put off by all of the idiots raging at the problems the firmware has; everything has to start somewhere.

Guest Chaz_UK

Such an excellent thread and a pleasure to read. I love what all of the communities have achieved for the blade and hope it continues for a long time.

The trolling/complaining is a massive shame but I do feel that what has been achieved by the communities making all this possible on the Blade outweighs all of the negativity. Great thread.

Guest bbforrest

Exactly right.

I live by a simple maxim - Never ask a question unless you are willing to hear both possible answers.....

Some of the people arguing with the developers could do with learning that....

Guest The_Duck

I came across this thread by searching out HCDR.Jacob 's recent postings.

I see the usual suspects from the other threads pop up in this one with their thanks to the devs which I wholeheartedly agree with. It certainly made for nice reading when you get through 3 whole pages of forum posts without a single whine or complaint about something not working !!

I guess it's a different world when the degree of separation between developer and end user is effectively nil. There is no nice buffer of support centre or helldesk and the end user feels that it is their right and duty to bring every little issue to the development teams attention for an immediate fix, bypassing the normal release management cycle just so that their particular issue can get sorted out first.

I am not sure if it is a good thing or a bad one but when I got my Blade thru flE-bay it was already rooted, FLB v6'd and worked like a charm. I never had to use it in it's stock form, so my view of how the Blade is in stock form is somewhat skewed I think.

I have no warranty.. I am pretty sure of that since I got it from flE-bay, but I still have reservations about going to Gen2. I may stick with CM7 R39 or may switch back to a froyo ROM, prob Swedish Spring at this stage. Just typing that last sentence is pretty amazing... I CAN CHOOSE what I want to run on my handset ?!?!. How many other people who have been using mobile phones (since 1988 <----OMG that long ? ) can say that ?

Even though I work in an IT Profession, I am certainly not in any position to contribute to any of the coding efforts or development work per se but I can certainly test things here and there and report back on results etc. Probably the most I think I can contribute other than a fiver here or there.

I guess I too would like to offer my thanks and support for the great work being done by the various developers of the different ROM's. Keep up the good work guys and don't let the grind of dealing with users get you down.

Cheers guys.

Duck

Guest kallt_kaffe
Just yesterday there was a thread DEMANDING that the devs add relevant bits to the kernel for a new accelerometer

How kind -.-

It would be much more effective to demand that ZTE release their latest sources instead...

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe
16 actually ;D

Well, I'm old enough to be your father... When I was 16 we coded Motorola 68000 assembler, used floppy disks, was amazed by the speed of US Robotics HST modems and communicated with FidoNet and Netmail. Mobile phones was almost the size of a car battery.

Thanks a lot! Now I really feel old. :)

Guest t0mm13b
Well, I'm old enough to be your father... When I was 16 we coded Motorola 68000 assembler, used floppy disks, was amazed by the speed of US Robotics HST modems and communicated with FidoNet and Netmail. Mobile phones was almost the size of a car battery.

Thanks a lot! Now I really feel old. :)

Son, I *am* old enough to be your father :)

lol!!!!!!

Yeah, fastest dial-up speed was 2400bps (that's bits per second....) logging into a BBS.... meh... I had 5"1/4 floppies and a 10Mb hard disk (yes, 10 megabyte), sadly I wish I hadn't got rid of it as it's a classic IBM XT 8086 with hercules and IBM DOS 2.10, oh and getting windows 2 up and running on it :(

Guest mr. grapes

I'd just like to add my 2p...

I've totally appreciated the work of this community from pretty much day 1 of the OSF miracle... I just have never posted since just about every question i've ever had was answered for me just by looking at the first page (hence this is actually my first post) but i think i was the first person at my Orange shop to get one back in september (they came in that day and i went down at lunchtime :) ) and I've been lurking here ever since, with the phone barely fully charged before it was rooted - though i waited til Paul's R3 was out before dropping a custom ROM on. by that time (about a week) I was so hacked off with the stock ROM (*something* was was constantly force closing on me... usually the launcher!) that I jumped on R3 ASAP :)

unfortunately it was probably the same source that led me here as to what's brought the moaning masses - HotUKdeals... the OSF is *STILL* the hottest deal ever, and bear in mind that most of the people one there will gladly dig up their dead grandmother if it means they get something cheap, and have attitudes to compare (typical response on humble indie bundle threads are "WOO HOO! 5 GAMES FOR 1 US CENT!" should give you an idea.

I love this phone, i love the reactions i get from people who've spent 4-6x as much on desires/galaxies/iphones etc. - one guy in my office takes every chance he can to slight the blade - one of the £500 desire brigade - and i know he's just trying internally to justify his desire (I was literally on the verge of dropping silly money on a desire or galaxy s when this came along)

most importantly i love the work the community has done for this device as it's transformed what was an otherwise hobbled, bloated advert for orange services into something i can't stop playing with.

As a pro software dev, i know how dedicated you have to be to do this sort of stuff in your spare time as well as a full time job/studies. if i had any to speak of, I'd contribute back. unfortunately at this time, it's so far away from my skillset, that I've been ashamed to post.

as for my view on the CM7 Gen1/gen2 furore, well i have a gen1 phone, which i won't move to gen2 until there's either a way of reverting back, or there are a few more ROM's available (at the very least an stock UK orange one)

I'm blighted by a CM7 stable bug (reboot while plugged in) but i accept the gen2 decision as one made by people doing this in their *spare* time.

so keep it up, and don't let the b@st@rds grind you down :(

Edited by mr. grapes

Guest jtc42

Some really fantastic responses again. Whenever I need cheering up I'll pop back here and see what people have said, it's really interesting and really wonderful to see the internet community at it's best at a time when it's so easy to see it at it's worst.

In response to mr. grapes regarding Gen1 to Gen2, yesterday you may have seen I attempted the upgrade, but the utility failed and bricked my SF, how embarrassing. Theyre sending me a new one tomorrow, but after that I think I'm too scared to upgrade so Im sticking with Gen1 on the grounds that it still has a good 2.2 ROM (many in fact) and by the time CM7 is as stable as 2.2 ROMs, someone will no doubt make a gen1 port.

I can safely say this because this community, at it's heart, is still amazing! (We now have 4 pages to prove it) :)

Guest zerosignull
[...]I was swamped with messages reporting the bugs, as if I was going to fix them. and within 24 hours I got a number of messages from people demanding to know when I was going to fix 2.2 since they had already sold phones on ebay as 2.2 and wanted tp start shipping them [...]

Im sure Flib got the some crap form an ebay seller when he created a 2.1 ROM for the t-mobile pulse. I don't know what bridge these people come from but they need to go back under it. Personally had I got that I would have sent the guy an invoice!

Yeah, fastest dial-up speed was 2400bps (that's bits per second....) logging into a BBS.... meh... I had 5"1/4 floppies and a 10Mb hard disk (yes, 10 megabyte), sadly I wish I hadn't got rid of it as it's a classic IBM XT 8086 with hercules and IBM DOS 2.10, oh and getting windows 2 up and running on it tongue.gif

BBC micro and ZX Specy 128k FTW :)

Edited by zerosignull

Guest kallt_kaffe
BBC micro and ZX Specy 128k FTW :)

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum with 16kb, later upgraded to 48kb. Back then ALL "home" computers were equipped with TV-OUT.

Btw, can someone please rename the thread to "Nostalgic nonsense talk"?

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest jtc42
Btw, can someone please rename the thread to "Nostalgic nonsense talk"?

At least put "formerly 'a short rant'" as the description >.< It stayed on topic for a while at least :)

Guest dibbles

I paid over £100 for my ZX80, I could have got it as a kit for a little cheaper but didn't fancy soldering it together.

Then the ZX81 - with the wobbly 16k expansion pack.

The ZX82 (Spectrum)

Commodore 64, with Simon's basic cartridge.....................

(the list is very long and almost endless)

I remember spending days and days typing in endless listings from magazines for games, my wife would sometimes read them out to me. Then I would spend countless weeks trying to debug then, looking for a gosub with no return etc etc.

Edited by dibbles

Guest jtc42

I use a classic grey brick Gameboy in my music? Best I can do >.<

(By the way, it's not all bad, going off topic. This thread only seems to be used by the core community. It's nice to have a n00b-rage free sanctuary) :)

Guest t0mm13b
I paid over £100 for my ZX80, I could have got it as a kit for a little cheaper but didn't fancy soldering it together.

Then the ZX81 - with the wobbly 16k expansion pack.

The ZX82 (Spectrum)

Commodore 64, with Simon's basic cartridge.....................

(the list is very long and almost endless)

I remember spending days and days typing in endless listings from magazines for games, my wife would sometimes read them out to me. Then I would spend countless weeks trying to debug then, looking for a gosub with no return etc etc.

You got your wife to read out code listings to you?! :)

That's class!!! but mind you

I remember typing in a listing from a magazine that went out of print called "Let's Compute" and the code claimed to double your memory, this was at the time when doublespace, doublestacker was the rage, well... I spent about a day verifying that everything I typed in (GW-BASIC code may I add), only for it to print a april fool message... meh :)

Ahhhhh the memories... :(

Guest isambard
Son, I *am* old enough to be your father :)

lol!!!!!!

Yeah, fastest dial-up speed was 2400bps (that's bits per second....) logging into a BBS.... meh... I had 5"1/4 floppies and a 10Mb hard disk (yes, 10 megabyte), sadly I wish I hadn't got rid of it as it's a classic IBM XT 8086 with hercules and IBM DOS 2.10, oh and getting windows 2 up and running on it :)

2400bps?! LUXURY. when i wer' kid, we used fo' bang two bricks t'geth' t' make ones and zeros!

Guest t0mm13b
2400bps?! LUXURY. when i wer' kid, we used fo' bang two bricks t'geth' t' make ones and zeros!

lulz!!!!!! :)

Thanks for that linky +1!!!! :)

Guest Len Ash
lulz!!!!!! :)

Thanks for that linky +1!!!! :)

Horrifyingly, I'm probably the oldest of all.... my PC is actually an abacus in drag.

Off to bed with a hot water bottle and a mug of cocoa.... and a good book.

Guest t0mm13b
Horrifyingly, I'm probably the oldest of all.... my PC is actually an abacus in drag.

Off to bed with a hot water bottle and a mug of cocoa.... and a good book.

ehhh.... not even a kindle????? :)