GPS crashes with CM7 Gen2

Guest JobSup

Guest Matthew Ferguson
I can confirm it does work. (i.e. Nightly39 + cm7_gen2_converter_ver3)

I was running this configuration last Friday and used my Blade as a GPS on a 100 mile journey (and back).

Worked great. No reboots.

I've just reverted back to this version (remember to backup!) and gps is working perfectly. No reboots.

The reboots are much less often but they do still happen. I was running this configuration for a few days prior to CyanogenMod going officially Gen2, and I still experienced GPS reboots caused by Fancy Widget.

Just disabled Surface Dithering (something to do with image quality) like someone somewhere recommended and the reboot seems to have gone. EDIT: I spoke too soon AGAIN.

Edited by Matthew Ferguson

Guest dibbles

I have not got a clue as to why this happened for me on the latest nightly.

I was using Memory Map perfectly fine with absolutely no reboots at all. Then I thought that I would try out Google Maps to see if the reboot issue occurs for me. It did.

For some reason after removing Google Maps now Memory Map will casue the phone to reboot within 30 seconds or so of launching it. Nandroiding back to my previous state (before I installed Memory Map) and it still happens.!

This was after using MM many times with zero issues. I now regret trying Google Maps as, for some reason, the fine balance of me being able to run MM is no longer in my favour.

Guest JobSup

As mentioned in the first post, flashing N39 with the (old) converter works best for me at the moment. I did not have a GPS related reboot with this setup.

I am just compiling a new build from the current sources and will test that with kallt_kaffe's new universal converter. If that works, then the bug is in the kernel itself, since the converter only replaces the kernel.

Still compiling...

Guest OckoTomBrok

I tried to "downgrade" my freshly converted Gen2 phone to N39 with the help of the Universal CM7 converter (here).

0) Start Clockwork manually

1) Wiped Cache & Dalvik Cache

2) Install CM7#39

3) Install GAPPS

4) Install Converter (w/o AHB)

5) Reboot

6) another Reboot (after first complete startup)

The system does start up into CM7 normally on my GEN2 phone. The kernel is now 2.6.32.9-perf (Kaltkaffe@ubuntu-vm). All my data were retained. Everything seems normal so far...

Started testing GPS:

I started Google Maps and ... it did crash immediately after getting a fix.

Navigon and teh rest run a little bit longer under N39 / Gen2 but they all crash in times shorter than being usefull.

I installed GPS-Test and aLogcat to get a fix on the problem, but GPS-Test worked great. After running around in Cologne for a couple of minutes with a stable fix in GPSTest I switched through all other GPS apps: Navigon, Layar, Wikitude and finally even Google maps. They all worked great in my test period. The GPS didn't loos its fits during the switches, although I ended all programs by using the back button.

After forcing the GPS to loos its fix and restarting the whole procedure, GPS-Test iniated a ReBoot after fix... So I'm pretty much lost, what's going on here. A couple of conclusions I like to draw:

1) N41 / Gen2 is a different problem to all earlier GPS problem.

2) N39 on Gen2 with KalltKaffee's Kernel gives roughly the sam bug than N41 / Gen2

3) It seems that the fix triggers something and not the GPS signal itself (weak conclusion)

I tried to generate a LogCat with aLogCat, but I unsure if it recorded the whole time... (not very familar with the system) ... at least I can't see any GPS related messages...However, I attached it here.

I haven't tried the GPS.conf trick mentioned earlier. Is it working? (read: Did more people tried it?) And does it apply for me - as being in Germany - as well?

Jan

One sidenote: I do get "H" now in areas where I got only 3G before - might be co-incidence, but perhaps that's a real benefit (the only in the moment?) for upgrading to Gen2

logCat.txt

Edited by OckoTomBrok

Guest OckoTomBrok
As mentioned in the first post, flashing N39 with the (old) converter works best for me at the moment. I did not have a GPS related reboot with this setup.

I am just compiling a new build from the current sources and will test that with kallt_kaffe's new universal converter. If that works, then the bug is in the kernel itself, since the converter only replaces the kernel.

Still compiling...

What do you mean with old converter?

Guest JobSup
I installed GPS-Test and aLogcat to get a fix on the problem, but GPS-Test worked great. After running around in Cologne for a couple of minutes with a stable fix in GPSTest I switched through all other GPS apps: Navigon, Layar, Wikitude and finally even Google maps. They all worked great in my test period. The GPS didn't loos its fits during the switches, although I ended all programs by using the back button. After forcing the GPS to loos its fix and restarting the whole procedure, GPS-Test iniated a ReBoot after fix...

Observed that too. Once you get a GPS App running and get a fix, you can also start other GPS Apps without problem. The problem seems to be the GPS initialization.

@OckoTomBrok: Did you try N39 with the 'old' gen2 converter ver3? This worked on my Base Lutea.

I started Google Maps and ... it did crash immediately after getting a fix.

What do you mean, it crashed? Maps was unresponsive, it force close?

I just tried GPS with my Gen1 phone, Nightly 41 and k_k's universal converter. I got a GPS fix in roughly 45 seconds. And that's it. No crash whatsoever.

Guest JobSup

Ok, just finished the build from current sources (post nightly41).

On my ZTE-1001 (Base Lutea)

- wipe/factory reset, wipe dalvik, format /system

- flash post nightly41 (using wbaw's modified gps.conf)

- flash universal converter

- reboot

Test 1:

Install GPS Status from APK, no Google Apps or other stuff installed, all default settings -> crash after few seconds (even without getting a fix)

- reboot to recovery

- flash the old gen2 converter ver3 (no wipe)

- reboot

Test 2:

GPS Status started but did not seem to use GPS at first until disable/enable GPS. Could not yet get a fix since I am at work but it does not crash.

So the kernel from the old gen2 ver3 converter seems to be better.

But one question: Do we all have the German version of the ZTE Blade (Base Lutea, says ZTE-1001 under the battery)?

Guest dibbles
But one question: Do we all have the German version of the ZTE Blade (Base Lutea, says ZTE-1001 under the battery)?

Considering mine is a UK Orange SanFran I would doubt it, for me anyway, as it states ZTE-Blade.

I have gone to a variant of SS 2.2 for the time being.

When I made the bug report for the GPS issue, where it would switch off the phone after a period of time after use, I could continue to work with that and Tom and thus provide meaningful information and files to help him to resolve the issue, as did others.

With this bug I find that it now crashes for me within 30 seconds of starting to use the GPS and that makes the GPS function useless and I have almost ZERO sense of direction. I need a working GPS too much at the moment to be able to pursue this.

I have had time to nandroid my SS 2.2 and put a fresh install of n41 and memory maps, where I was before and working, but now it just reboots the phone. So I'm back to SS 2.2 and a working GPS.

Guest OckoTomBrok
What do you mean, it crashed? Maps was unresponsive, it force close?

I just tried GPS with my Gen1 phone, Nightly 41 and k_k's universal converter. I got a GPS fix in roughly 45 seconds. And that's it. No crash whatsoever.

Sorry, crash means a complete reboot of the phone. With this GPS bug I always get complete reboots - not really crashes...

Jan

Guest The Soup Thief

Just confirming that on my UK OLED gen2 blade running n41 this crash (read, reboot) happened consistently this morning running maps and or GPS Test a short while after starting up google maps or GPS test, sometimes after achieving a fix, sometimes, before fixing any satellites in the absence of any temperature spikes (as logged with Battery Monitor widget)

Old news, but just just wanted to confirm that this appears not directly related to the previously rectified erroneous temperature reading problems

edit

Oddly I just did a 40 minute journey w Google navigation and no reboot. Started on wifi at home then switched to 3g. All fine

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest OckoTomBrok
Observed that too. Once you get a GPS App running and get a fix, you can also start other GPS Apps without problem. The problem seems to be the GPS initialization.

I hope this finding might give the Devs a hint. Is anyone in contact with the devs, or do they follow this thread?

@OckoTomBrok: Did you try N39 with the 'old' gen2 converter ver3? This worked on my Base Lutea.

Just realised that there are two. I tried the one from the first post (Md5:f340...328b)

Unsure if I should try the second as well.

Ok, just finished the build from current sources (post nightly41).

On my ZTE-1001 (Base Lutea)

- wipe/factory reset, wipe dalvik, format /system

- flash post nightly41 (using wbaw's modified gps.conf)

- flash universal converter

- reboot

(....)

Why did you use the converter? Your phone is Gen2 and N41 as well...? Just to get the old kernel in the system?

Best,

Jan

Guest OckoTomBrok

I think we (me including) should be carefull with our language... Can everyone confirm that with crashes he means REBOOT? (Just editing your posts will be the easiest).

If you see forced closure or something else please report - because that might be unrelated.

Best,

Jan

Guest OckoTomBrok

Tried to alter my GPS.conf to the suggestions above as well. I'm running now:

CM7 # N39 with converter on a GEN2 phone.

Maps still reboots phone after seconds (actually although in rooms without any windows, so it might be not really satellite fix related)

The same with GPSTest, but it takes longer to go into reboot.

# I think it definitely has something to do with GPS initialisation but not directly with the satellite fix.

# It happens on all Gen2 devices not on Gen1 with N41 + converter

# It also happens on Gen2 devices with N39 + converter

For me that means either there is something wrong with the firmware (was this flashed during Gen1->Gen2 conversion), but this is a little bit unlikely due to the working SS. Or the libs / Kernel are defect.

Hopefully someone figures out a solution soon, because I mostly use my phone together with GPS and it's pretty useless in the moment...

Best,

Jan

Guest dibbles

As noted I am back to a SS 2.2 at the moment as I need a working GPS. For those still on n41, as I mentioned on the previous page, it might be time to file a bug report. It is best to include logs like...

last_kmsg

logcat.log

The devs will be more inclined to notice the issue if posted there rather than in this thread only.

Just remember when submitting a bug...

NO NIGHTLIES, home-builds, or anything "based on" CyanogenMod.

If a bug is submitted then a link to that for others to add would be useful.

Guest OckoTomBrok

Hi,

1) There was a bug report already, but it was closed due to the "Nightly"-rule. Partially I can understand that, but as we are one a new platform, which is the only supported by now, I personally would like an exception... but that's just my 2 cents. It has been deleted by now (was here: http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=3553)

2) I try to work on a workaround as I had this one time where all apps where running fine, after the first satellite fix was archived (see earlier post here). <strike>I never could reproduce that until I discovered the option "clear aiding data" in the GPSTest app (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.android.gpstest&feature=search_result). When I delete the aiding information before I try a fix in GPSTest it always (5 times) get a fix without reboots. However it takes a while (I suppose, because it doesn't know on which part of the earth it is) and until now I couldn't use the fix to switch to other Apps. </strike> However, possibly it's a start. Can someone try that on a N41 phone? Would love to go back to the newest nightly...

Will try more as soon as I recharged my phone ;-)

Best,

Jan

Edited by OckoTomBrok

Guest dibbles

I can't try that as I'm on a 2.2 ROM now, as you have read.

I do take your point about not being able to file a bug report about the nightlies. I also wish an exception was made as this n41 build was the first "proper" nightly that worked, without needing to amend in anyway, for the GEN 2 converted phones.

Guest OckoTomBrok

Ok, my last procedure didn't survive furhter testing. In the moment I get the best result with the following procedure:

Every time you need GPS:

1) Disable GPS

2) Reboot phone

3) Enable GPS

4) Start your GPS-App

If you GPS is fixed your can switch (via Home button) to any other App... When you stop your app and loose GPS fix it's likley that you next GPS-fix (without manual reboot) will reboot you phone. The same is true if your phone foes to sleep...

Hope this helps all, who need their GPS at least from time to time...

Please tell me if it works for you!

Best,

Jan

Guest kallt_kaffe

Here, try to replace /system/lib/hw/gps.blade.so with the attached version and let me know if it stops the crashes.

EDIT: Removed file, doesn't work...

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest doubleluckstur
Here, try to replace /system/lib/hw/gps.blade.so with the attached version and let me know if it stops the crashes.

with this, gps functionality breaks.

Guest doubleluckstur
Hmmm... I've only tried it on a CM7 version I compiled myself today. I'll have to try it with N41 myself.

oh... I tried it on a version I compiled today aswell.. I'm not sure about N41 either xD What happens is theres no gps icon in the status bar and gps functionality seems to be broken / non-existant.

Edited by doubleluckstur

Guest kallt_kaffe
oh... I tried it on a version I compiled today aswell.. I'm not sure about N41 either xD What happens is theres no gps icon in the status bar and gps functionality seems to be broken / non-existant.

Correct, I must have mixed up the files. It doesn't work for me either.