[ROM] Corvus5 (newbe5 and Corvus teamed ROM)

Guest the_corvus

Guest godmode
That's. Strange i have a different keyboard? I have installed ni keyboard and it works fine

Yeah its weird i used to have the ni keyboard which i loved. If install it now turning it on or off makes no difference, i still have the default one.

Guest the_corvus
Add me to the silent majority. Everyone is going to have something they dont like, mine is not being able to install a different keyboard! By the way im overclocked to 1.6ghz and stable. Rockin!

To install a new keyboard, install the apk, and then in settings>language and keyboard, change to your keyboard. If doesnt show when you write, hold your finger over the text box until a menu shows and change input method.

Good job with 1.6Gh.

To think i very nearly got a ipad 2! Im very pleased with the vega and many thanks for this fantastic rom :o ive fixed the blue light problem! .........................ive stuck some tape over it :D

This is the way... you have a problem, you fixed it :D

I'll start by apologising in case I break any rules of etiquette here, but this is my first post on this or any other forum.

I've been a Vega owner for some time and have really enjoyed mucking around with the thing, trying new ROMs and mixes of various apps etc. Of course I've been actively monitoring this and the XDA site to keep up with the latest activity but I've not posted thus far. So why now?

It occurs from time to time that a kind of tit-for-tat discussion kicks off, often over small issues that get blown up somewhat. One thing I know from my professional life (I.T. of course :mellow: ) is that text/email often doesn't help in these situations as the emotional clues we get from speaking to people are not there - this often makes things worse. So the catch-22 here is that I'm now making the situation worse still by joining in, so I'll get to the point.

I think what corvus and newbe5 have done is fantastic and I'm delighted (smartbench 4205) - consequently I have donated to both. I sincerely hope they enjoy a beer or two on me, feel a little more valued, and are encouraged to do a little more still for the rest of us. Picking away at people's points, whatever the motives isn't necessarily the way to keep them onside.

That's all from me and I promise I will not be adding any more to this subject - whatever gets said.

Cheers to corvus and newbe5

P.S. No blue lights or other niggles for me. :D

Thank you very much... with this kind of support (not the donation, of course) give us energy to continue improving Corvus5.

Welcome, and a good opening post. I couldn't agree more with you. Folks have no clue how much effort any dev worth doing takes and to get a post like " thingy doesn't work, please fix" is, how to say it delicately, cr*p.

Sadly, you will come to learn that there are some facts of life around forums that you either learn to live with or throw in the towel. Sadly, I'm close to the latter. I've tried my best to be a significant contributor but have "hit the wall". I've got a project underway, to try to banish the USB driver problems with an auto installer, but it will be my last. Probably not a bad thing, new blood and all, and I'm far too modest to think that anyone will actually care but for what it's worth, these are the things I have not been able to live with.

1. Folks who start new topics without searching or trying to help themselves.

2. New posts asking questions about a particular topic which are already answered in the original topic

3. People who make first posts getting all rowdy and swinging their fists.

4. Single posts in reply to some major contribution such as "blue light, fix it" ;-)

5. Paul and the mods seem to have abandoned this particular corner of the web. Multiple requests for stickies to help noobs have fallen on deaf ears.

6. Just too difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff with so many repeat threads and all of the above. I don't have enough time to filter it all out.

7. People who post "don't worry, I fixed it" without saying what they did or never come back letting you know if something worked.

and so on.

I know it's just the way it is and trying to change behaviours is like starfish on the beach. It's just worn me out.

Enjoy your Vega, I'm off to be a leecher....

Thank for all your work simonta and see that you feel the same as me... a lot of work done to get only or silence or people crying... Don't throw the towel, really there is people that needs our help and when they realize that we need their support they are here.. you can see this thread.

Thanks once again for the ron

Just a quick question

Battery lifewith this ron has been good up until I watched a film just now

it is using over 3% a minute

anyone else have this problem

Was using rockplayer

thanks

Thinks that can eat your batt (in order, bigger the first):

1) display (put in the lowest level posible

2) wifi (switch off if not needed) and auto-sync (switch down too if not used)

3) cpu (1Gh for a movie is more that enought, try to slide to 800 in setcpu and test the diff)

4) bt

This is without 3G, if you have 3g it's in second place depending of coverage.

It depends too of the movie, if it's HD is more cpu/batt hungry that a SD, by example.

You can also test with other players, the default one is better because has Tegra2 HD decoding support so it uses GPU to decode HD content, but Rockplayer uses cpu only, so eats more batt too.

Great ROM

Automount of FAT and NTFS devices..... I put in host mode, but I can't see my FAT32 USB stick or my NTFS hard drive... where do they mount? where can I see them ?

Got over clock working... so what is the normal clock speed? If I want to stop overclocking, do I just uninstall setCPU?

Thanks

The mount point is /mnt/usbdisk.

If the disk is 2.5, maybe need external power.

Corvus.

Guest DirtyVega

Loving the Corvus5 rom. Not tried a new ROM is quite a while and so far i am really impressed with how stable it is. Keep up the stellar work.

Guest CoWPlagued
I found that the CPU speed would reset to 216Mhz but then found setting up various Profiles got around that issue. It certainly flys at 1400 Mhz (and boy is it slow at 216Mhz)

Back again. I've had a go at using profiles to prevent the 216 issue, but to no avail.

Even if I set the mimimum speed to over 216, it still every now and then drops below the set limit and locks.

Has anyone found what causes this or a workaround. More than happy to test things.

Guest Panayioti
Hey there, i just added 1600000 to my setcpu.txt file on the root of my sdcard. Then used setcpu to change max freq. Have not noticed any major side effects yet. Battery life seems fine, its not any hotter and it very stable!__

In smartbench does it show that the vega is at 1.6 Ghz?

Guest Bobby Elliott
Has anyone found what causes this or a workaround. More than happy to test things.

This happened to me too. I had installed a few CPU speed apps and I think they were conflicting. So, I removed them all except SetCPU, put the text file back onto my SD card and selected it again, and my Vega has behaved since.

You might want to remove all CPU speed apps, and re-install one and see if that helps.

Guest asanchez

Is the vega able to read external drives via usb using this ROM, or any ROM? ive tried but no luck so does anyone know and if so want would i need to do to enable this?

Guest beegee1962
Is the vega able to read external drives via usb using this ROM, or any ROM? ive tried but no luck so does anyone know and if so want would i need to do to enable this?

Maybe a stupid question, but you did not mention it.

Did you put your USB into host mode before plugging it in?

Guest asanchez

Guest MaxiP

Short answer - yes

Long answer - please read the ROM description at the start of the post along with the search function to gain an understanding of the 2 main methods of enabling USB support. When you have decided which approach you want, then read the various threads about the differing ROM's & functionality. At that point, you should be in a position to decide which ROM is most appropriate for you along with the install mechanism...after that, give it a go and ask any questions as you need.

Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt but there are many comments / threads asking the same questions with answers and it gets a bit frustrating when the same question is asked without even doing a search beforehand.

Guest asanchez
Maybe a stupid question, but you did not mention it.

Did you put your USB into host mode before plugging it in?

Sorry not entirely sure what you mean here as no other android tab i have requires you to do anything for externals to be recognised, so can you elaborate please a little further?

Guest phil-t
Sorry not entirely sure what you mean here as no other android tab i have requires you to do anything for externals to be recognised, so can you elaborate please a little further?

It's simple really, there is only 1 USB port, and it can't simultaneously act as a HOST and a SLAVE,

A HOST USB device can communicate with any SLAVE device plugged in, SLAVE devices are USB Sticks/HDD/Mouse/Keyboard.

A PC runs it's USB ports as HOSTS for example, and so when you plug slave devices in, it can work with them..

The VEGA is by default a USB SLAVE, so it looks like a USB HDD when plugged into a PC..

As I said, it can't be HOST and SLAVE at the same time, so the new ROMs allow you to switch between HOST and SLAVE mode, done by holding the back button when you boot, other Android Tablets only dream of being able to be this configurable!

See the first post or two, it details how to switch into HOST mode..

Hope that helps..

Edited by phil-t

Guest chaosss

Guys,

Thought I would post this in here to see if anyone has any ideas.

Trying to install this ROM using the following steps:

Have tried the following many times:

1) Install stock ROM

2) Use Advent Tools to install CWM

3) Perform the 3 wipe operations and install Corvus5 ROM from SDCard using Update from SD card in CWM.

4) Reboot when complete

I end up with the two penguins on the screen and nothing else. It just stays here. I can reflash the original image easily but I want to run Corvus5. Any hints?

The only thing I can think of is some problems with the ext2 partition on my SDCard. I spent ages re-formating and re-partitioning this and the only way I could get it to work was to do it in Windows using a partition tool. CWM still won't format the ext2 partition (says it not found) but at least I can install the update form the SD card now. Would this stop it booting?

Before doing the above step I couldn't mount the SD card at all and CWM would deny all knowledge of it. I tried using CWM to create the EXT2 partition but it says it has done this but still can't format it.

Guest Maxwell4321
Guys,

Thought I would post this in here to see if anyone has any ideas.

Trying to install this ROM using the following steps:

Have tried the following many times:

1) Install stock ROM

2) Use Advent Tools to install CWM

3) Perform the 3 wipe operations and install Corvus5 ROM from SDCard using Update from SD card in CWM.

4) Reboot when complete

I end up with the two penguins on the screen and nothing else. It just stays here. I can reflash the original image easily but I want to run Corvus5. Any hints?

The only thing I can think of is some problems with the ext2 partition on my SDCard. I spent ages re-formating and re-partitioning this and the only way I could get it to work was to do it in Windows using a partition tool. CWM still won't format the ext2 partition (says it not found) but at least I can install the update form the SD card now. Would this stop it booting?

Before doing the above step I couldn't mount the SD card at all and CWM would deny all knowledge of it. I tried using CWM to create the EXT2 partition but it says it has done this but still can't format it.

In CWM dont use the option to install Update, you need to use Install zip from SD instead, also try deleting the Corvus zip from your SD then copy a fresh download over to the SD and try again. Have you got another Android device that you could format the SD with ? If so do it that way then put it into the Vega, if not make sure it is formatted as FAT32

Edited by Maxwell4321

Guest PurpleRob
In smartbench does it show that the vega is at 1.6 Ghz?

I have also done this and in fact also put in 1.8ghz text as well.

In setcpu it does recognise it and you can alter the CPU to the 1.8ghz but the scaling driver seems to go mad and alters the speed on its own up and down constantly although the Vega doesn't lag.

In smartbench it still see's the Vega as 1.4ghz and there is no difference in the speed tests.

Hope this helps

Rob

Guest asanchez
It's simple really, there is only 1 USB port, and it can't simultaneously act as a HOST and a SLAVE,

A HOST USB device can communicate with any SLAVE device plugged in, SLAVE devices are USB Sticks/HDD/Mouse/Keyboard.

A PC runs it's USB ports as HOSTS for example, and so when you plug slave devices in, it can work with them..

The VEGA is by default a USB SLAVE, so it looks like a USB HDD when plugged into a PC..

As I said, it can't be HOST and SLAVE at the same time, so the new ROMs allow you to switch between HOST and SLAVE mode, done by holding the back button when you boot, other Android Tablets only dream of being able to be this configurable!

See the first post or two, it details how to switch into HOST mode..

Hope that helps..

Thanks and understand what a host and slave is but appreciate the advise as might help others and searching on here doesn't really help as you end up going into tens of threads or posts that are not relevant including not having a specific thread to the issue. In saying this I did try your suggestion and the external hd then lit up which was good but neither file manager file astro would show anything after a considerable wait. Will try to again later as will see if its corvus related, again thanks for the help but still no joy as of yet....

Guest chaosss
In CWM dont use the option to install Update, you need to use Install zip from SD instead, also try deleting the Corvus zip from your SD then copy a fresh download over to the SD and try again. Have you got another Android device that you could format the SD with ? If so do it that way then put it into the Vega, if not make sure it is formatted as FAT32

Thanks for your response. Install ZIP from SD card was the option I was using.

Anyway just formatted by SD card in my GalaxyS, re-downloaded the ROM and tried with the same result. When I rebooted I just got a blank screen.

I'm absolutely stumped.

Guest paraffinbrain

ROM and overclocking is great - many thanks for the hard work, much appreciated.

I have to reset more than I used to with R8, still not enough to switch back though - and Kindle had a wobbly every 5 or so mins, bottom half of screen tears and blanks, then the page resets ok. Didn't see that before and haven't seen another mention.

Guest Maxwell4321
Thanks for your response. Install ZIP from SD card was the option I was using.

Anyway just formatted by SD card in my GalaxyS, re-downloaded the ROM and tried with the same result. When I rebooted I just got a blank screen.

I'm absolutely stumped.

Have you tried flashing another older ROM such as the Modaco R6 or R8 first and then going straight to Corvus5 without flashing the official ROM in between

Guest terminaljunkie
Thanks and understand what a host and slave is but appreciate the advise as might help others and searching on here doesn't really help as you end up going into tens of threads or posts that are not relevant including not having a specific thread to the issue. In saying this I did try your suggestion and the external hd then lit up which was good but neither file manager file astro would show anything after a considerable wait. Will try to again later as will see if its corvus related, again thanks for the help but still no joy as of yet....

There is another issue with USB in that the VEGA does not supply enough power to some bigger USB devices that hve none of their own.

Guest Bobby Elliott

Ditto. Not sure if this is a ROM issue or a overclock issue, but I have to reset at least once per day due to device freezing.

Edited by Bobby Elliott

Guest Vansphone

I have been using version 5 of this ROM for a while now and I still think it ranks as the best.

However over the last couple of days I have a number of freezes while in some apps. This has only just started to happen so I am assuming it must be an app I have loaded? Therefore, I have removed a few to see if the Vega stops freezing.

Guest Bazabaza

Great rom...Fast and reliable for me at least. Only issue...and its probably me.

Have made a script for checking USB HOST/SLAVE in Gscript light as in first post (cat/data/var/mode)

when i run it get stderr: cat/data/var/mode: not found

any ideas? what am i doing wrong?