[ROM] Corvus5 (newbe5 and Corvus teamed ROM)

Guest the_corvus

Guest MikhailM
Is it ok to run this rom without overclocking. I need to get as much battery life from my vega as possible. How does not overclocking affect this rom?

Works perfectly well at the normal setting for most apps. Do not know about action or role play games, as I do not use them.

MikhailM.

Guest Jisonga

Just flashed sp1 today as i wanted to play some of those great tegra 2 games and needed working tilt sensors and man is this a great rom it works really really well.

The added bonus of being able to use my xbox pad on the many emulators is the icing on the cake for me.

But i do have a question if i may and sorry if its been asked before but i cant seem to get the usb ports on my vega dock to work wwhen using this rom. Is that just how it is with a custom rom or am i just being dumb and missing something silly.

Thanks for the hard work you all put into this rom and of course the damn fine vegacomb rom as well.

Jason.

Guest Katsunami

Hello. Yesterday I have received a Point of View tablet, and intended to put Corvus5 or Vega R8 on it. I have tested both.

Quadrant:

Vega Mod R8: 2275

Corvus5 SP1: 1885

SmartBench 2011

Vega Mod R8: 2971

Corvus5 SP1: 1781

In SmartBench 2011, there are some other scores for Tegra 2 Tablets, running on stock speeds:

Advent Vega: 2909

Motorola Xoom: 2929

Asus Transformer: 2928-3100 (multiple submissions)

Galaxy Tab 10.1: 2700 - 3003 (multiple submissions)

So, the Vega R8 Rom seems to be somewhere in the middle of the pack, while Corvus5 with it's score of 1781 seems to be very slow.

Also, when going to "About this device -> Status" the application force closes because the phone app is not in there. (R8 has the same problem, where I removed to phone app myself.) Is it possible to create two dummy apk's for the phone app and phone-provider, so there will be no crash? (I have some, but not much experience in Android programming; I may take a look at this.)

Guest ptbw

But i do have a question if i may and sorry if its been asked before but i cant seem to get the usb ports on my vega dock to work wwhen using this rom. Is that just how it is with a custom rom or am i just being dumb and missing something silly.

I don't have a dock but I believe if you are running Corvus in host mode then the ports on the dock are switched to slave ( ie the reverse of their usual function ). In order to have the dock function I believe you need to reboot to put the Vega in to slave mode.

HTH

Guest MikhailM
Hello. Yesterday I have received a Point of View tablet, and intended to put Corvus5 or Vega R8 on it. I have tested both.

Quadrant:

SmartBench 2011

In SmartBench 2011, there are some other scores for Tegra 2 Tablets, running on stock speeds:

So, the Vega R8 Rom seems to be somewhere in the middle of the pack, while Corvus5 with it's score of 1781 seems to be very slow.

Katsunami,

Rather than just trusting the SmartBench scores, why don't you try the roms. Corvus 5 + SP1 is the fastest rom in my experience, at least on the Advent Vega. Do not have a POV Mobbi, so can't compare, but as it is supposed to be exactly the same device, it should be similar.

MikhailM.

Guest newbe5

Quadrant:

SmartBench 2011

Also, when going to "About this device -> Status" the application force closes because the phone app is not in there. (R8 has the same problem, where I removed to phone app myself.) Is it possible to create two dummy apk's for the phone app and phone-provider, so there will be no crash? (I have some, but not much experience in Android programming; I may take a look at this.)

There is a known bug in the kernel we used in Corvus5 (and SP1) where setting it to 1ghz actually slows the speed down considerably. Setting the clock speed to 1.2ghz completely fixes this (you don't just get a small speed bust because you have set it to 200mhz higher, there is actually a fault in the timings on the 1ghz setting). Try this and you will notice the difference.

newbe5

Guest Katsunami

Hi. Thanks for the answer and for making the ROM. Without this, and R8, I would never have bought a PoV tablet.

OK, as I own and have used SetCPU in the past (but don't now, as my Milestone does not require it anymore), I'll install it on the PoV and test this out. It seems R8 has a huge bug: the tablet cannot be suspended. Holding the power button and then clicking the "Suspend" option, does nothing... so I will need to switch to Corvus5.

Will this problem be fixed in the near future? While I like Corvus5 (after I take out some of the apps I don't use), I'd also like to run the tablet at stock speeds.

Is there any way of fixing the force close, created by "About This Device" -> "Status" ? It crashes because the Phone and TelephonyProvider APKs are no longer in there. (if removed, the R8 ROM get's this problem too).

Edited by Katsunami

Guest MikhailM
There is a known bug in the kernel we used in Corvus5 (and SP1) where setting it to 1ghz actually slows the speed down considerably. Setting the clock speed to 1.2ghz completely fixes this (you don't just get a small speed bust because you have set it to 200mhz higher, there is actually a fault in the timings on the 1ghz setting). Try this and you will notice the difference.

newbe5

Newbe5,

I am running Corvus5 + SP1 on the Vega, but when I install SetCPU or CPU Master, it only gives me a top setting of 1GHz. How does one install SetCPU to provide a higher speed?

MIkhailM.

Guest Katsunami
Is there any way of fixing the force close, created by "About This Device" -> "Status" ? It crashes because the Phone and TelephonyProvider APKs are no longer in there. (if removed, the R8 ROM get's this problem too).

Btw... just had this problem with Corvus5 too. Could not suspend the tablet by short-pressing the power button. Reflashed the ROM from Clockwork, and it worked again... I hope it stays that way now.

Edit: fail on my part. It seems that the setting for the END button in Spare Parts was responsible for this. I disabled it, thinking the Vega did not have one. The POWER-button seems to function as such. So, another problem fixed.

Edited by Katsunami

Guest MikhailM
Newbe5,

I am running Corvus5 + SP1 on the Vega, but when I install SetCPU or CPU Master, it only gives me a top setting of 1GHz. How does one install SetCPU to provide a higher speed?

MIkhailM.

OK, should have done more searching before asking questions. Obviously I needed to put the setCPU.txt fileon the SD card and set the desired top speed. Now done and working well.

MikhailM.

Guest arnookie
NEW in Corvus5 SP1

So, a little quiet on the VegaComb front right now, still have some stuff in the works, but I thought it was high time I took a quick break and spent a little time pushing out a small (but good) update to Corvus5. I know a lot of people use Corvus5 as their fall-back ROM while VegaComb is still in the works, and so I thought I should try and show it a little love too (since I really like this ROM, and it's FAST!).

I didn't want to make too many huge changes, as Corvus5 has a good history of being a stable, fast and extremely reliable ROM, and felt that too much tweaking might risk what we already have. So, the changes are as follows:

Added latest nVidia frameworks, and updated some libs to the latest versions to try and work out a couple of kinks.

Fixed the 50% audio issue, volume should now increase correctly up to 100% (and not stop increasing at 50%). This won't actually make the max volume and louder, but it makes the slider work correctly.

Added the brilliant Host/Slave mode indicator to the ROM as standard (made by simonta and pbtw I believe) which has been GRID themed by me to fit in with the ROM.

Added a brand new Game/Mouse mode indicator/switcher (made by the talented ptbw especially for Corvus5). This is a great tool and allows you to easily switch between "Game" (accelerometer) mode and "Mouse" (erm... Mouse) modes. The two modes have to be separate due to the way that the libraries within the ROM work, but now you can easily switch Corvus5 into a mode which works perfectly for mouse support, and back again for playing games such as SpeedX. This tool will reboot your Vega for you, so if you are switching to Mouse mode, remember to hold BACK after the app reboots the device to make sure it boots up in HOST mode for connecting the mouse :)

Kernel has been updated to the current VegaComb stable Kernel (based on CorvusKernel 0.2). This brings with it Xpad support, removal of the Blue light of DOOM, and 1.5ghz overclock (but the standard is 1ghz, not 1.5 as with the bug in the 0.2 kernel). It also has the fixed memory management patch which comes with the Vegacomb kernel, to make things just that bit sweeter, and hopefully speedier.

No more need for a manual SetCPU file, available overclock speeds should be automatically detected by any decent overclock application, such as SetCPU, CPU Master or No Frills CPU.

Download Corvus5 SP1 at the bottom of this thread!

If you have issues with the battery indicator not updating, check this thread here!

Ohhh yea baby, 4160 on Smartbench 2011 :rolleyes:

post-715352-1304591602_thumb.png

To Overclock, there are some free apps on the market that should work fine (CPU Meter for one). OR, you could use SetCPU (which supports profiles etc). SetCPU is a PAY FOR app on the MArket. However, if you are a member of XDA forums, you can download it for FREE from here!

The new theme in all it's glory, created from scratch specifically for this ROM.

post-715352-1304591597_thumb.png

The Autorotate widget. This is ON, meaning screen rotation works as normal:

RotateOn.png

And OFF, you should use this for games like Speedx and Raging Thunder 2:

RotateOff.png

Hope you guys enjoy the ROM, a LOT of work has gone in to this from both myself and corvus.

ADDITIONAL THEMES AND APPS (we do not support these themes, flashing an additional theme AFTER ROM setup will wipe your gmail settings!):

Honeycomb theme created by partner2!

post-715352-1303315516_thumb.png

BRAND NEW! Alternate colour schemes by popular demand!

Choose the GRID that suits you!

GRID Classic

GRID-ClassicStatusBar.png

GRID Red

GRID-RedStatusBar.png

GRID Orange

GRID-OrangeStatusBar.png

GRID White

GRID-WhiteStatusBar.png

Original GRID thread is here!

Special edition Host Mode indicator Widget for Corvus5 by ptbw (this is now included in the SP1 patch below)!

Get it here!

post-798666-1304537661.jpg

Instructions on how to change the images are in ptbw's post here!

Corvus5 SP1 Update (flash over Corvus5, no need to wipe!): Corvus5-SP1-Updater.zip | Mirror: Corvus5-SP1-Updater.zip (MD5: 3856D5AD380D3AF76B5C3CBEEF51513A)

Have fun!

newbe5

Still a big issue for me is the sound volume. Even though the sound volume bar is fixed it is still only playing sound at 50% even though the bar shows 100%. In fact you cant hear any volume until you get to 50%.

When I use other rom the sound is much louder than this rom. Even with the sp1 fix the volume is still only 50% compared to other roms. Is a fix beeing looked at for this? It's a real big issue for me as I can hardly hear anything played on youtube. Do others still have this problem? Can anyone point to a fix for this?

Edited by arnookie

Guest Katsunami

I can hear sound, even when the meter is only one click about 0, and it gets louder up until it reaches 100%, but it is not very loud. (Loud enough for me, but I have very good hearing.)

I have never tried any other ROM while playing video's, so I don't know if it can get any louder with other ROMs.

OK, should have done more searching before asking questions. Obviously I needed to put the setCPU.txt fileon the SD card and set the desired top speed. Now done and working well.

MikhailM.

Are you running SP1? I did not need to install setcpu.txt and could immediately overclock.

Edited by Katsunami

Guest MikhailM
I can hear sound, even when the meter is only one click about 0, and it gets louder up until it reaches 100%, but it is not very loud. (Loud enough for me, but I have very good hearing.)

I have never tried any other ROM while playing video's, so I don't know if it can get any louder with other ROMs.

Are you running SP1? I did not need to install setcpu.txt and could immediately overclock.

I am currently running Corvus 5 + SP1, but on a setup I installed some time ago and backed up together with my apps, etc.. I then went over to Vegacomb, but , although I liked that generally, the few remaining glitches made me go back to Corvus 5 + SP1, which I did by restoring the backed up setup.

I do not think I could overclock this setup before, and I certainly could not after restoring it. SetCPU gives you the option to select your device. If you choose Nvedia Tegra 2? you only get a maximum 1000 MHz. If you select the variable, user defined option below that - you need to have the setcpu.txt file on the SD (it tells you so on the selection button!

So I am curious, how you managed to overclock without puting that file on your SD card. I do not think SP1 does that automatically, but I may well be wrong.

MikhailM.

Guest Katsunami

I just put SetCPU onto the tablet. Didn't do anything special; it just detected all speeds, up to 1.5 GHz, after I hit the Autodetect button. Didn't need the extra file. It even says so in the post about SP1:

No more need for a manual SetCPU file, available overclock speeds should be automatically detected by any decent overclock application, such as SetCPU, CPU Master or No Frills CPU.

Switched to the free version of CPU Master, as SetCPU is sometimes locking the tablet on 216 MHz after it awakes. I'm testing if CPU Master does the same. (It's actually almost the same app, but free, with profiles disabled. Paid version has got profiles, just like SetCPU.)

Edited by Katsunami

I just put SetCPU onto the tablet. Didn't do anything special; it just detected all speeds, up to 1.5 GHz, after I hit the Autodetect button. Didn't need the extra file. It even says so in the post about SP1:

Switched to the free version of CPU Master, as SetCPU is sometimes locking the tablet on 216 MHz after it awakes. I'm testing if CPU Master does the same. (It's actually almost the same app, but free, with profiles disabled. Paid version has got profiles, just like SetCPU.)

I got the locks with both CPU tools...

Guest ThomasAstor

When I go to the setting and put "1200 max1000min", I get only 1000 MHz.

Is it normal or does it vary regarding applications running?

And does the box "Set on boot" needs to be ticked?

Thanks

Edited by ThomasAstor

Guest Jisonga

Sorted out host usb on dock. You need to have dock plugged into mains and then they all work ok no matter what the setting on rom is.

Also installed the honeycomb theme for sp1 and it now looks as good as it runs, sorry newbie5 nothing personal.

i have installed the no frills cpu app off market and set it to 1.2ghz and everything is really really flying along.

The only last little problem if have got is when using the latest version of opera browser i can not add any text such as replying to a topic here without it dissapearing everytime i try and post it. The problem does not happen with stock browser which is a shame as i love the way opera works.

Jason.

Guest luckyluca

Apologies for what might seem like a stupid question but I'm 100% new to the advent vega.

Having a vanilla windows7 64bit installation with no drivers installed as yet what are the steps I should follow to install the corvus5 on a advent vega tablet?

I take I should install usb drivers, then cws, then I take I should first flash the rom to the latest version from advent and then install the custom rom corvus5 and then again the corvus 5sp1 right?

..but what is cws and where do I get it? somebody mentioned to try and use vegatools3 instead.

..and what about usb drivers?

...Is there a specific stepbystep guide somewhere ?

I found this but it refers to MCR, not corvus..

Thanks

Luca

Edited by luckyluca

Guest xathras
Apologies for what might seem like a stupid question but I'm 100% new to the advent vega.

Having a vanilla windows7 64bit installation with no drivers installed as yet what are the steps I should follow to install the corvus5 on a advent vega tablet?

I take I should install usb drivers, then cws, then I take I should first flash the rom to the latest version from advent and then install the custom rom corvus5 and then again the corvus 5sp1 right?

..but what is cws and where do I get it? somebody mentioned to try and use vegatools3 instead.

..and what about usb drivers?

...Is there a specific stepbystep guide somewhere ?

I found this but it refers to MCR, not corvus..

Thanks

Luca

To install drivers for the first time use AUDI (Automatic USB Driver Installer) and the AUDI guides (search forum for "Audi").

Before you do anything read this thread first ( http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...ddedstock-1-10/ ). This is a new modified stock ROM that will make all your future ROM adventures a lot easier.

Guest geoyakult

hi people....

i might be missing something here, but how do you installed the SP1 to the original Corvus5?

Help would be much appreciated.

Guest Remington Steale
hi people....

i might be missing something here, but how do you installed the SP1 to the original Corvus5?

Help would be much appreciated.

Copy the zip file to the sd card, reboot into recovery, install zip from sdcard.

Dont unzip it first

Guest geoyakult
Copy the zip file to the sd card, reboot into recovery, install zip from sdcard.

Dont unzip it first

Aha! Will try this tonight when i get back from work - cheers.

Guest tradeout

I just got an Advent Vega, and have to say I'm pretty impressed with how well it handles out of the box.

However after reading all the threads here about how this ROM improves the device I am installing it now. (Thanks :blink: )

I have just one question though; the stock ROM had some automatic update feature, is this included with this ROM?