Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest dibbles

@Zythus - I have seen this posted a number of times by people trying to help you and I'm not sure with your responses if you have done what was suggested, as it does work.

Download the appropriate TPT file you wish to use and check the MD5. Extract the folder from it to your micro SD card of your phone. It should be a folder called "image" with a number of files in it. It must NOT be a folder within a folder (hope that makes sense) as some methods of extracting will place it within a folder, and then you have one within another.

So on your SD card of your phone you then have a folder with all the files in it called "image".

Then read the first post VERY carefully on how to power up your phone and keep those buttons pressed for the process to start.

Until you can confirm to people that you have done exactly what they are asking you to do it makes it difficult to help further :)

To show you have understood if it does not work write your next post with a list of steps you did detailing exactly what you did do.

Edited by dibbles

Guest Zythus

Yes, but how to do that now? Phone wont start, so I can't get access to my SD card.

I think u dont get it. My phone cant START. ITs stucking on GREEN DROID LOGO. So how I can put there tpt, or change the directory of that tpt?

I know I need to change the directory of tpt, but I can't get access to it!

Edited by Zythus

Guest dibbles
Yes, but how to do that now? Phone wont start, so I can't get access to my SD card.

I think u dont get it. My phone cant START. ITs stucking on GREEN DROID LOGO. So how I can put there tpt, or change the directory of that tpt?

I know I need to change the directory of tpt, but I can't get access to it!

It will not be stuck at the green droid if you remove the battery :)

If you can't access the card via the USB cable then you will have to remove your micro SD card and place the "image" folder on it via a card reader connected to your PC and maybe the use of a SD card adapter.

The above would be the simplest way of doing it.

Edited by dibbles

Guest Damion_Nash

Thanks for all the help, not.

Never mind, I got there by myself in the end and thought I'd share in case anyone else spends the best part of day banging their head against a wall.

The phone wouldn't TPT. The image folder was in the root of the sd card, the correct button combo was being pushed, but no TPT. Oh and for the record my French Blade showed a ZTE splash screen for fastboot not a green android.

After many hours of banging my head it occurred to me that I'd recently used Clockworkmod to format and partition the sd card and figured a different "stock" card may work. Low and behold it bloody did.

So, if you've tried and tried with no success it may be worth a bash with a non partitioned card.

Guest Zythus

How came I didn't thought about putting my sd card into that adapter... 1 sec after pressing Menu + Vol up and power buttons, I saw green text, with loading files and %, then green droid for a minute, and then Cyanogen Mod 7 logo! (Im using 106 mb package). Now after that screen is black. I don't want to touch anything, lol.

Lol, my fail.. it just went sleep.

Thank you dibbles! Love you.

Edited by Zythus

Guest dibbles
How came I didn't thought about putting my sd card into that adapter... 1 sec after pressing Menu + Vol up and power buttons, I saw green text, with loading files and %, then green droid for a minute, and then Cyanogen Mod 7 logo! (Im using 106 mb package). Now after that screen is black. I don't want to touch anything, lol.

Lol, my fail.. it just went sleep.

Thank you dibbles! Love you.

(dibbles blushes)

You are most welcome, enjoy your phone. :)

Thanks ever so much for this, its been the one thing stopping me from going to Gen2, and now I can go back to keeping up with CM7 :)

a real boon!

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Why? No problems never... :S

Because the TPT upgrade repartitioned your phone, you may now overflow the 136mb system

partition where you previously didn't with the stock partition setup.

Guest Chopstick

I currently have clockwork recovery installed, can I still try this procedure? Will there be any conflict?

P.S: I'm on a gen1 device, trying to update to gen2.

I currently have clockwork recovery installed, can I still try this procedure? Will there be any conflict?

Yes & no :)

Guest bigup

can confirm, works fine :)

did it this morning, was gen1 SS rom and latest clockwork installed then used the all in one upgrade to CM7.02 gen2 from first post.

Guest Chopstick
Yes & no :)

but i'm still a bit confused, I've always used clockworkmod to intall a new ROM, I have never attempted to do anything with TPT, this will be the first time i'm using this method, and it sounds a bit too easy for me and that makes me afraid that I might be skipping a few steps.

Do I really just have to empty my SD card, unzip "CM7.0.2-Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT.zip" to it's root folder, power up with menu and vol+ pressed and let it do the magic?

It all sounded too easy to me and made me suspicious about it, I just don't wanna brick a brand new Blade, alhough I have previously installed custom roms with CWM (including Gen2 roms converted to Gen1).

Guest dibbles
but i'm still a bit confused, I've always used clockworkmod to intall a new ROM, I have never attempted to do anything with TPT, this will be the first time i'm using this method, and it sounds a bit too easy for me and that makes me afraid that I might be skipping a few steps.

Do I really just have to empty my SD card, unzip "CM7.0.2-Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT.zip" to it's root folder, power up with menu and vol+ pressed and let it do the magic?

It all sounded too easy to me and made me suspicious about it, I just don't wanna brick a brand new Blade, alhough I have previously installed custom roms with CWM (including Gen2 roms converted to Gen1).

As long as you have extracted the checked MD5 file (CM7.0.2-Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT.zip) to the root of your SD card as the "image" folder then "Yes" it is as simple as you write. :)

Guest spenz09

It really is as simple as it seems, many thanks to all. i used CM7.0.2-Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT.zip

the hardest part is putting all my apps back (with a little help from titanium)

Edited by spenz09

Yes, that's exactly the procedure.

Just make sure the TPT file is unzipped correctly - you need to have the image folder at the root level of your SD card -

everything else is, as you say, pure magic, works like a breeze :)

Guest solidslash

Should the "image" folder be the only one on the sd card? Do I have to format my sd card?

edit: thanks guys!

Edited by solidslash

Guest gwebb
Should the "image" folder be the only one on the sd card? Do I have to format my sd card?

No, as long as the image folder is in the root of the sd card you will be fine, my card was full of other junk.

Guest Michealtbh

No, as long as it's there.

I've been having trouble with Market downloads ever since this procedure. Downloads start then instantly stop. Gona try a fresh TPT today and if the problem persists I think I'll go back to gen1. Nice to know I can switch between gens so easily :)

Edited by Michealtbh

Guest Damion_Nash
wtf? :)

Do you want to come & say that to my face?

It wasn't directed at you.

If anything I'd like to thank you for all your hard work, it's much appreciated.

I was just a bit surprised that a plea for help fell on so many deaf ears here.

Guest dibbles
No, as long as it's there.

I've been having trouble with Market downloads ever since this procedure. Downloads start then instantly stop. Gona try a fresh TPT today and if the problem persists I think I'll go back to gen1. Nice to know I can switch between gens so easily :)

I have noted a few posts about this type of issue. Did you use the default partition layout....? (I changed mine)

Did you try something like a SS ROM rather than just the CM7...?

Was it just the market that gave the issue and did you try to clear the data and cache from it..?

Guest dibbles
It wasn't directed at you.

If anything I'd like to thank you for all your hard work, it's much appreciated.

I was just a bit surprised that a plea for help fell on so many deaf ears here.

Threads update very quickly at times and peoples plea for help can be simply missed. There is nothing personal and it might have been more appropriate to have simply posted your request for help again, rather than assume you was being ignored.

Anyway glad that you are sorted :)