Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest Just Wondering

hmmmmm i did as per the instructions , i downloaded the gen 1 to gen 2 zip , unpacked to the root of my sd card (16gb i've heard this can be a issue ) booted into recovery (latest version) but the G1 to G2 program did not kick in ?!?!? was there something i was ment to do to make it work , the instructions kinda make it sound as if it will just kick in automatically once i'm in recovery mode and then i choose the rom of my choice ?!?!?!?

where did i go wrong please

++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ive just taken another look , looks as if i needed to hold down the vol down and the menu button on boot up +++++++++++

i've installed gen 1 of swedish 5 rom can i then just install the same Swedish 5 rom over the top gen2 version ............or will i need to reinstall all apps etcs , clear cache etc etc

Edited by Just Wondering

Guest danmanbad

Hi thanks for your TPT it was the only reason i would goto gen2 as the windows way has its trouble

i was just woundering if you can make a TPT that changes the partition lay out to the new one with out a wipe as i would like to try out some of the other roms that are on here because SS5 Automaticly mounts /cache as tmpfs (ramdisk) if cache partition is less than 20000kb and would i be misstaken to think this is the only rom that dose this (i could be wrong) so i would be able to still download of the google market

thank you fro your time and the TPT

IT ROCKS MY BLADE AND ROLLS THE WORLD

Edited by danmanbad

Guest Skivis
Going back to Gen1

If you upgraded to Gen2 using the above TPT, then going back to Gen1 is easy & safe (if not, sorry, out of luck here). You can install any Gen1 TPT to go back to Gen1, but make sure that it contains a Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn

Here is a Gen1 CM 7.0 stable TPT (101.9mb) CM7-stable-Gen1.zip mirror mirror d5ffb46108702152f700d79e7ad24794 (2mb cache 140mb system 314mb data) - thanks to curl66

Here is Gen1 with stock partitions & ClockworkMod 3 (16.4mb) - Gen2-to-Gen1-TPT-v2-stock.zip mirror mirror fddc02f6f48a53910c317fbef38cf7e4 (42mb cache 207mb system 208mb data)

When you say "If you upgraded to Gen2 using the above TPT", does that by any chance include the method described on the CyonogenMod Wiki-page for the Blade? Thats the guide that I followed when installing CyanogenMod 7.0.2 on my blade and I'm just wondering if it's safe for me to go back to Gen1 following the instructions in your guide. Are the converter-files initially the same except that your's is v3 and the one on CyanogenMods site is v2 or are they completely different converters?

And if it's safe for me to use this method to go back to gen1, do I just put the zip on my SD-card, wipe data/cache and run the zip from Clockwork Recovery?

Guest cpg

I planned to do this before, but i've been a bit busy lately. I finally TPT-updated my phone to gen2 as well (if not for any noticeable differences, at least the gen2 radio firmware is newer than the original orange version).

I managed to relocate the splash partition to the original gen1 location and to enable fastboot (with volume up). I'm currently running with a 140mb system and 314.9mb data partition.

I'll send my files to wbaw to include in his update. I could just as well enable fastboot for windows-flashed gen2 phones, though i think it would be more appropriate to include that in one of the existing update packages instead of posting it separately here.

Guest wbaw
When you say "If you upgraded to Gen2 using the above TPT", does that by any chance include the method described on the CyonogenMod Wiki-page for the Blade? Thats the guide that I followed when installing CyanogenMod 7.0.2 on my blade and I'm just wondering if it's safe for me to go back to Gen1 following the instructions in your guide. Are the converter-files initially the same except that your's is v3 and the one on CyanogenMods site is v2 or are they completely different converters?

And if it's safe for me to use this method to go back to gen1, do I just put the zip on my SD-card, wipe data/cache and run the zip from Clockwork Recovery?

Yes it does include that, it's a previous version of this file. I didn't realise they'd included it in their wiki :mellow:

Guest wbaw
Hi thanks for your TPT it was the only reason i would goto gen2 as the windows way has its trouble

i was just woundering if you can make a TPT that changes the partition lay out to the new one with out a wipe as i would like to try out some of the other roms that are on here because SS5 Automaticly mounts /cache as tmpfs (ramdisk) if cache partition is less than 20000kb and i dont think others do if im not misstaken (i could be wrong) so i would be able to still download of the google market

thank you fro your time and the TPT

IT ROCKS MY BLADE AND ROLLS THE WORLD

You could take a nandroid backup using clockworkmod or rom manager first & then restore it after applying the v3 tpt, although a new improved version is coming out tomorrow, thanks to cpg :mellow:

All Gen2 custom roms automatically handle the reduced size cache partition, there is no problem there, you are mistaken.

Edited by wbaw

Guest wbaw
Ah, thanks - I'm presuming then that TPT's created by that script aren't considered 'a full TPT' (as the first post says 'reversible using any Gen1 full TPT').

Thanks again for your work :mellow:

Exactly. You need to add a Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn so that it includes the gen1 radio firmware so that one of those tpts could be flashed onto a gen2 upgraded phone.

Guest wbaw

Uploaded a new version, many thanks to cpg.

This has another new partition layout, with a bit more room on data. It also has fastboot mode with vol+ & power on enabled - just make sure that you delete the image directory on your sd card before testing it, otherwise you'll go into tpt mode & wipe your data!

Guest danmanbad

thanks for your reply

is there any reason for this update to make it so you cant receave calls or use the data or in most liklyness the rom i was running SS5 on gen1 and gen2 but some of the time i could not receave calls it was a little worse on gen2 and now i cant get on to the market through 3g (back to gen1) but it could be that the reserve tank is used up(orange) so they stop the date i can still get on to orange world so i expet they have stoped the date untill the phone is toped up again

and once again thanks for the reply

Guest LexS007

What new in Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v4.zip? May be you need write changelog in first message?

Edited by LexS007

Guest wbaw
What new in Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v4.zip? May be you need write changelog in first message?

The partition layout changed, you now get almost 15mb more room on /data for your apps, only about 1mb less than is possible on Gen1 now & fastboot mode was added so you can boot into fastboot mode with vol+ & power on. cpg deserves the credit.

Guest t0mm13b
The partition layout changed, you now get almost 15mb more room on /data for your apps, only about 1mb less than is possible on Gen1 now & fastboot mode was added so you can boot into fastboot mode with vol+ & power on. cpg deserves the credit.

I used the windows flasher to upgrade from gen1 to gen2, is there an easy way to get the fastboot into gen2? Or do I have to go back to Gen1, then use the TPT to go to Gen2?

Cheers :mellow:

Guest wbaw
I used the windows flasher to upgrade from gen1 to gen2, is there an easy way to get the fastboot into gen2? Or do I have to go back to Gen1, then use the TPT to go to Gen2?

No, just don't.

Do not flash any of these files on a Gen2 phone which was upgraded with Windows or bought as a Gen2 phone. This is for Gen1 & TPT upgraded Gen2 phones. There is a very good reason I put that in big bold red text in the first post.

If you try to flash these files with the Windows software, then it'll have all the same problems (losing imei, chance of bricking, etc) as a Gen1 downgrade would. If you try mixing these files with Gen2 files then you're very likely to brick your phone.

A proper Gen2 version that enables fastboot mode may be available soon, so don't rush into anything, you'd be taking a big risk with your phone for a very small possible benefit.

Edited by wbaw

Guest t0mm13b
No, just don't.

Do not flash any of these files on a Gen2 phone which was upgraded with Windows or bought as a Gen2 phone. This is for Gen1 & TPT upgraded Gen2 phones. There is a very good reason I put that in big bold red text in the first post.

If you try to flash these files with the Windows software, then it'll have all the same problems (losing imei, chance of bricking, etc) as a Gen1 downgrade would. If you try mixing these files with Gen2 files then you're very likely to brick your phone.

A proper Gen2 version that enables fastboot mode may be available soon, so don't rush into anything, you'd be taking a big risk with your phone for a very small possible benefit.

Ah k, understood! Thanks! Was going to try it out :o but now I got the confirmation - glad I asked :mellow:

Guest wbaw
Ah k, understood! Thanks! Was going to try it out :o but now I got the confirmation - glad I asked :mellow:

cpg did another hack on appsboot to get the 15mb back (which is used for the modem partitions on a proper gen2), that makes this version totally incompatible with proper gen2 phones, you could end up overwriting something important which can't easily be restored (bricking your phone). A tpt upgraded Gen2 phone still has a Gen1 modem partition layout.

Guest cpg

You should not use the appsboot included in wbaw's package, as the partition layout is not at all compatible with a windows-flashed gen2 phone.

I can change the windows-flasher version of appsboot to enable fastboot (it's a small change), but different people might have different partition layouts and you'd have to reflash the whole thing to change it (which has its own risks). In short, it's possible, but to avoid confusion, i think it shouldn't be posted in this thread.

Guest wbaw
You should not use the appsboot included in wbaw's package, as the partition layout is not at all compatible with a windows-flashed gen2 phone.

I can change the windows-flasher version of appsboot to enable fastboot (it's a small change), but different people might have different partition layouts and you'd have to reflash the whole thing to change it (which has its own risks). In short, it's possible, but to avoid confusion, i think it shouldn't be posted in this thread.

A few people have asked for a proper Gen2 version. Using the Windows flashing program works ok on Gen2 phones, as long as it's using all Gen2 files. We can do a similar kind of package for those phones, just have clockworkmod as boot & recovery, blank system.img & userdata.img, then somebody could do a backup in clockworkmod, flash the new layout & have it boot into clockwork where they can restore their backup.

138mb system is getting a bit tight though, cm7 & gapps seem to be putting on weight, only about 2mb free now. 140mb or even up to 150mb might be safer, especially for proper gen2 phones where flashing is a bit of a hassle & a risk.

Guest Skivis

Ok, I have one last question.

My blade probably needs the touchscreen fix by leromarinvit (my screen becomes totally unresponsive from time to time) so I'm wondering if the following would/should work for me. Right now I am running CM 7.0.2. Like I mentioned before I just simply followed the guide on CyanogenMods Wiki to install it.

So if I would simply put the "Gen1 CM 7.0 stable TPT (101.9mb)" zip-file provided by you in the first post on to the root of my SD- card, power up in Clockwork recovery, clear cache/factory reset and all that and then choose "install zip from SD" and choose Gen1 CM 7 file, would that work for me? Or are TPTs installed in some other way. Also does this file already contain the Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn that you mention.

Would really appreciate if some one could verify this and if I'm wrong, explain how its done.

The reason I want to go back to Gen1 is just so I can follow this guide to go back to gen2 and also get the touchscreen fix mentioned in the beginning of that guide.

I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say =)

Guest ogilviea
Uploaded a new version, many thanks to cpg.

This has another new partition layout, with a bit more room on data. It also has fastboot mode with vol+ & power on enabled - just make sure that you delete the image directory on your sd card before testing it, otherwise you'll go into tpt mode & wipe your data!

Any chance you could upload CM 7.0.3 TPT & CM7 Nightly 62 to mediafire? It looks like my ISP (Be/O2) blocks filesonic :mellow:

Guest wbaw
Ok, I have one last question.

My blade probably needs the touchscreen fix by leromarinvit (my screen becomes totally unresponsive from time to time) so I'm wondering if the following would/should work for me. Right now I am running CM 7.0.2. Like I mentioned before I just simply followed the guide on CyanogenMods Wiki to install it.

So if I would simply put the "Gen1 CM 7.0 stable TPT (101.9mb)" zip-file provided by you in the first post on to the root of my SD- card, power up in Clockwork recovery, clear cache/factory reset and all that and then choose "install zip from SD" and choose Gen1 CM 7 file, would that work for me? Or are TPTs installed in some other way. Also does this file already contain the Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn that you mention.

Would really appreciate if some one could verify this and if I'm wrong, explain how its done.

The reason I want to go back to Gen1 is just so I can follow this guide to go back to gen2 and also get the touchscreen fix mentioned in the beginning of that guide.

I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say =)

CM7 Nightly 62 has the touch screen fix, you can just download that from the cyanogen site & it's a zip file to install with clockwork.

TPTs are different the only reason to install them is to upgrade to Gen2 (you've already done that) or downgrade to Gen1 (you don't want to do that) or to change the partition layout of your phone's internal memory (you don't really need to do that). With a TPT you unzip the file to your sd card, it creates an image folder on your sd card & you flash it by powering on with vol+ held. It flashes everything on your phone, including all the stuff that makes it power on, so if you somehow get it wrong, flash a corrupt file, run out of power or interrupt it, you can break your phone. Only TPT if you have a good reason for it & be careful.

Usually to update roms you should just download the zip files from the cyanogen site & install those using clockwork, nightly 62 & any future versions contain the touchscreen fix that you need. It's much safer to flash a new rom using clockwork, because it doesn't make such low level changes to your phone, there is no way that you can possibly break your phone using clockworkmod.

Guest wbaw
Any chance you could upload CM 7.0.3 TPT & CM7 Nightly 62 to mediafire? It looks like my ISP (Be/O2) blocks filesonic :mellow:

I can, but it'll take me a while.

Guest Len Ash
I can, but it'll take me a while.

Previously used "Windows" method of Gen1 - Gen2. Tried this, works fine BUT WiFi is broken completely in some ROMs (as in mine) that DO work fine in the Windows conversion method. I also have boot loops in some ROMs...

It COULD be - ROMs are just too large as is. Will report back for reference, but as you have alluded to, the system partition needs to be 148-155MB really. A means of changing that post-conversion would be incredibly useful.

EDIT - it is the lack of system space. Some "important" files just get dropped...

More System SPACE needed!

Cheers

Edited by Len Ash

Guest hedgepigdaniel
A few people have asked for a proper Gen2 version. Using the Windows flashing program works ok on Gen2 phones, as long as it's using all Gen2 files. We can do a similar kind of package for those phones, just have clockworkmod as boot & recovery, blank system.img & userdata.img, then somebody could do a backup in clockworkmod, flash the new layout & have it boot into clockwork where they can restore their backup.

138mb system is getting a bit tight though, cm7 & gapps seem to be putting on weight, only about 2mb free now. 140mb or even up to 150mb might be safer, especially for proper gen2 phones where flashing is a bit of a hassle & a risk.

For those who haven't noticed, hecataes pinned windows gen2 flashing thread now has a safe method of downgrading to Gen1 that does not suffer from the corrupt IMEI problem and is about as easy as a windows Gen2 upgrade. It's awesome that cpg has found a way to enable fastboot on Gen2. What this means that there are now significant benefits to be gained from flashing something other than stock Gen2: the ability to use fastboot, 15MB of extra storage space, and the ability to use TPT. It would be nice to easily give people with stock Gen2/windows upgraded phones (which there will be more and more of) a way of enjoying these benefits.

wbaw: Besides the risk of losing the IMEI (which can now be easily avoided), is there any reason why your TPT files could not be flashed via windows to a Stock/windows upgraded Gen2 blade?

If not, then I will create a set of files for flashing a stock/windows upgraded gen2 phone with your TPT files and get them in hecataes post (or possibly try to get a new pinned topic). That way people who bought gen2 phones or upgraded with windows can stay Gen2 and get 15MB, fastboot, and TPT in one step.