Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest digital0

No need to make cache bigger, it works ok with SS RLS5, it's probably your mistake. BTW, it was talked about many times.

Also - I have to flash matching pairs of amss.mbn and amsshd.mbn? do you know what amsshd.mbn contains?

I already tested the Hungarian amss yesterday (with all gen2 versions i have an issue with outgoing calls on WCDMA in my area), so it works at least.

The header contains information about the offset and length of the file. While the amss one doesn't seem to be used in the same way as the other headers, it's best to keep the images and their respective headers together.

Guest Jekle
I already tested the Hungarian amss yesterday (with all gen2 versions i have an issue with outgoing calls on WCDMA in my area), so it works at least.

The header contains information about the offset and length of the file. While the amss one doesn't seem to be used in the same way as the other headers, it's best to keep the images and their respective headers together.

I wonder if wbaw could use the new amss.mbn and amsshd.mbn in the new version of Gen 1 to Gen 2 as Swedish one is dated before Christmas and The Hungarian one is more recent and could improve radio quality and strength

Guest u116040

For interested people (maybe ?), other TPT partition layouts based on V4 (with another splash and Amon_RA Recovery 2.3), both tested, details in attached file :

-Gen2 stock layout: Cache 37.5M, System 220M, Data 162.5M, OEM 21M = Total of 454.5M used.

http://www.multiupload.com/626Y7YMYF7

(splash restored at 0X21c)

-Custom layout: Cache 37.5M, System 220M, Data 177.25M, OEM 21M = Total of 469.25M used.

http://www.multiupload.com/XNVCCYVGQT

(as I use S2E, I don't care about data partition)

Edit 16/05: Amon_RA 2.3b1 can't restore backups.

Thanks to wbaw & cpg, splash authors (madeli, Frankish), recovery authors (Sebastian404, Amon_RA), CyanogenMod team, everyone working on the Blade .. :unsure:

Partitions.xlsx.zip

Edited by u116040

Guest wbaw
Will do. The two Swedish ones are the Comviq and Telia/Sonera ones right? could you point me in the right direction to get hold of the japanese and greek updates?

amss.mbn is the radio firmware, it's the only file you need to replace to test that. appsboot.mbn is the bootloader, best to leave that as it is in my package, that's what controls the partition sizes, fastboot mode on boot, it's also what limits greek & chinese blades to 256mb ram.

The Japanese one isn't likely to work properly in Europe, on our Blades, like the Chinese one doesn't.

There's a thread about the Greek gen2 update here: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...al-2-2-upgrade/

Here's the Japanese one anyway: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...p-official-2-2/

There was also another thread about amss.mbn flashing, so it's probably best to move the discussion there: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...s-mbn-flashing/

I don't think there's likely to be much difference between the amss.mbn on european gen2 blades, it's probably a waste of time & I don't think any will enable hsupa, change signal strength or provide any of the mythical gen2 features. It'd still be good for somebody to confirm it though. If any of them are found to be any better than the others, then I'll include the best one in this package. I can't notice any difference between gen2 & gen1 amss.mbn, except for roms needing different ril libs.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Jekle
amss.mbn is the radio firmware, it's the only file you need to replace to test that. appsboot.mbn is the bootloader, best to leave that as it is in my package, that's what controls the partition sizes, fastboot mode on boot, it's also what limits greek & chinese blades to 256mb ram.

The Japanese one isn't likely to work properly in Europe, on our Blades, like the Chinese one doesn't.

There's a thread about the Greek gen2 update here: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...al-2-2-upgrade/

Here's the Japanese one anyway: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...p-official-2-2/

There was also another thread about amss.mbn flashing, so it's probably best to move the discussion there: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...s-mbn-flashing/

I don't think there's likely to be much difference between the amss.mbn on european gen2 blades, it's probably a waste of time & I don't think any will enable hsupa, change signal strength or provide any of the mythical gen2 features. It'd still be good for somebody to confirm it though. If any of them are found to be any better than the others, then I'll include the best one in this package. I can't notice any difference between gen2 & gen1 amss.mbn, except for roms needing different ril libs.

I had to increase my cache partition to 20MB because of market issues I had to replace appsboot.mbn and partition_zte.mbn no wonder fastboot doesn't work

Guest abdn-android

Something I've noticed after using this method to go Gen1 to Gen2...

If you try this battery recalibration it behaves differently under Gen2 than Gen1.

My phone is Gen1 to Gen2 OLED SS RLS5.

When I was on Gen1, the battery calibration worked as described in the link above - specifically when the phone was turned off and plugged in (after charging fully with power on), LED would stay red for 20-30 minutes or so and then it would turn green/white. I understood that this was charging above what the ROM was registering as 'full' based on battery stats. It would take some extra charge like this for 2 cylces or so as described in the link above. I could then erase battery stats and and have a larger capacity to charge the battery.

However, after going to Gen2, when phone is turned off and plugged in (after fully charging with power on), LED is red for maybe 5-10seconds and then turns to green/white immediately. It appears that it takes no extra charge beyond what is reported in the ROM.

FYI: I also TPT'd (Gen1 to Gen2) another SanFran (white with TFT screen) for my officemate and it now does the same thing - that is, it doesn't stay red when charging while powered off (after fully charging with power on).

Has anyone else seen this? Does it indicate that we aren't able to get 'overfull' charges on Gen2; Or maybe that this calibration method isn't needed on Gen2 because you already get the max charge with power on? Not sure what to make of this. Curious what your thoughts are.

Edited by abdn-android

Guest jonmac73

Hi, still not sure about doing the GEN2 upgrade.

If I just wanted to try CM7 before taking the plunge, could I just install the file linked below in original post ?

Or is it pointless and should GEN2 anyway.

I know I've voided by installing custom (SSRLS5) but seems to be not much proof of real benefit from GEN2 other than running CM7.

Also any special steps I need to do/check etc.

Thanks in advance

Going back to Gen1

If you upgraded to Gen2 using the above TPT, then going back to Gen1 is easy & safe (if not, sorry, out of luck here). You can install any Gen1 TPT to go back to Gen1, but make sure that it contains a Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn

Here is a Gen1 CM 7.0 stable TPT (101.9mb) CM7-stable-Gen1.zip mirror mirror d5ffb46108702152f700d79e7ad24794 (2mb cache 140mb system 314mb data) - thanks to curl66

Guest wbaw
Something I've noticed after using this method to go Gen1 to Gen2...

If you try this battery recalibration it behaves differently under Gen2 than Gen1.

My phone is Gen1 to Gen2 OLED SS RLS5.

When I was on Gen1, the battery calibration worked as described in the link above - specifically when the phone was turned off and plugged in (after charging fully with power on), LED would stay red for 20-30 minutes or so and then it would turn green/white. I understood that this was charging above what the ROM was registering as 'full' based on battery stats. It would take some extra charge like this for 2 cylces or so as described in the link above. I could then erase battery stats and and have a larger capacity to charge the battery.

However, after going to Gen2, when phone is turned off and plugged in (after fully charging with power on), LED is red for maybe 5-10seconds and then turns to green/white immediately. It appears that it takes no extra charge beyond what is reported in the ROM.

FYI: I also TPT'd (Gen1 to Gen2) another SanFran (white with TFT screen) for my officemate and it now does the same thing - that is, it doesn't stay red when charging while powered off (after fully charging with power on).

Has anyone else seen this? Does it indicate that we aren't able to get 'overfull' charges on Gen2; Or maybe that this calibration method isn't needed on Gen2 because you already get the max charge with power on? Not sure what to make of this. Curious what your thoughts are.

I noticed the same thing, but imo you shouldn't do any 'battery recalibration', it calibrates itself over time, you're just wiping that calibration data rather than actually recalibrating anything. Overcharging batteries is dangerous & severely reduces the life of your battery, so it's good that the phone wont let you do that. They're best kept at about 60-80% charge & topped up as you need.

Guest abdn-android
I noticed the same thing, but imo you shouldn't do any 'battery recalibration', it calibrates itself over time, you're just wiping that calibration data rather than actually recalibrating anything. Overcharging batteries is dangerous & severely reduces the life of your battery, so it's good that the phone wont let you do that. They're best kept at about 60-80% charge & topped up as you need.

Gotcha. Thanks for the insight.

Guest cartoone

As per first page..

Unzip this Gen2 TPT zip file to your sd card, it should create an image directory.

Power off, wait a few seconds, then power on with menu & vol+ held.

Did the above step, but phone not entering into recovery nor flashing with Gen2

Current situation

1. New ZTE blade with android2.1

2. Rooted

3. "image" directory kept at /sdcard level

any other steps required like removing battery etc?

ta

Edit: made it to work. Had to remove battery

Edited by cartoone

Guest Fou-lu

The N69 TPT could cause people problems on that nightly, AFAIK sensors were removed After N67(last working Nightly)

Edited by Fou-lu

Guest wbaw
The N69 TPT could cause people problems on that nightly, AFAIK sensors were removed After N67(last working Nightly)

I added the old sensor lib into it. It works fine, it's what I'm using. Please test before you criticise.

Guest Fou-lu
I added the old sensor lib into it. It works fine, it's what I'm using. Please test before you criticise.

Ok Sorry, just wrote that incase you didn't know :unsure:

Guest Hanks6

going to update my OLED SF to Gen 2 shortly...quick Q. is the recovery included with this tool the latest Gen 2 compatible clockwork? as in i don't need to do anything myself to update/change my current Gen 1 version of clockwork beforehand...

cheers.

Guest targetbsp
going to update my OLED SF to Gen 2 shortly...quick Q. is the recovery included with this tool the latest Gen 2 compatible clockwork? as in i don't need to do anything myself to update/change my current Gen 1 version of clockwork beforehand...

cheers.

You don't have to do anything with clockwork. If you did, the instructions would say so cause it'd be fairly important. :unsure: Yes you end up with a Gen 2 clockwork though IIRC it's not the latest version from Rom Manager.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest commander_keen

After applying this TPT-upgrade, is it normal that VolUp+Power does not result into fastboot-mode when no image-folder is present on the SD-card? If so: what's the official new fastboot-shortcut?

With image-folder it it using that of course, but without it, it just boots normal and doesn't stay at the green android.

Guest Hanks6
You don't have to do anything with clockwork. If you did, the instructions would say so cause it'd be fairly important. :) Yes you end up with a Gen 2 clockwork though IIRC it's not the latest version from Rom Manager.

thanks, thought so. gen 2'd now :unsure:

Guest anglergab

@wbaw

1. Do you think that the amss.mbn from the official Hungarian T-Mobile Froyo update exe (sysdy\files) can be put into your Gen1 -> Gen2 TPT without bricking the phone? (in your TPT one can find the Swedish radio mbn, I'd like to have the Hungarian one on my Blade). I checked the md5 hashes: the Swedish and the Hungarian amss.mbn are different.

2. Is it true that the generation of partition.mbn and oemsbl.mbn must be strictly identical (Gen1) in your TPT packages?

Thanks for your answer in advance!

Edited by anglergab

Guest wbaw
@wbaw

1. Do you think that the amss.mbn from the official Hungarian T-Mobile Froyo update exe (sysdy\files) can be put into your Gen1 -> Gen2 TPT without bricking the phone? (in your TPT one can find the Swedish radio mbn, I'd like to have the Hungarian one on my Blade). I checked the md5 hashes: the Swedish and the Hungarian amss.mbn are different.

2. Is it true that the generation of partition.mbn and oemsbl.mbn must be strictly identical (Gen1) in your TPT packages?

Thanks for your answer in advance!

1. Yes, but I don't think there's any real benefit from doing it. You can replace amss.mbn with any European Gen2 version.

2. It is true. If partition.mbn is different then it wont flash. If oemsbl.mbn is different then it will brick your phone.

Edited by wbaw

Guest wbaw

Updated the Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT to version 5. See the first post for the new link.

Replaced the TeliaSonera amss.mbn in the old package with the Greek Wind amss.mbn (it's the latest European one).

Increased the system partition size to 160mb.

Removed cefs.mbn (doesn't get flashed, but may cause trouble if used with other methods).

Added a blank cache.img (doesn't get flashed, but might help by wiping cache if used with other methods).

Edited by wbaw

Guest kingmob

Hi,

I'm having some problems getting my white orange san fran to boot after performing the Gen2 upgrade.

I used CM-7.0.3-Blade-TPT.zip as linked to in the first post.

Now when I boot it just sits on the green android and doesn't change.

I can get into recovery by holding the -vol button, and this way I can wipe and install CM 7.0.3 the normal way, which works. It all starts up normally, but as soon as you shut it down and boot from cold, it just sits on the green android again.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Guest volvo132

Hello:)

I have a question... I've updated my Blade to Gen 2 via TPT version 4. Now I see that is newer version at first post, so I should firstly downgrade to Gen 1 before update to v5 or just leave it and update to v5??

Guest digital0
Hello:)

I have a question... I've updated my Blade to Gen 2 via TPT version 4. Now I see that is newer version at first post, so I should firstly downgrade to Gen 1 before update to v5 or just leave it and update to v5??

No need to downgrade to gen1.

Guest digital0
Increased the system partition size to 160mb.

Could you please make a version with smaller system partition size too? 160 MB is not needed for Swedish Spring.