Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest stephen m
Read the first post of the thread and follow instructions word for word

I have done and it says this:-

If you want the latest CM7 version as a TPT which will upgrade you Gen2 & do everything in one step, then check out curl66's thread here: [GEN1&GEN2][ROM]CM 7.0.2stable + N57 TPT Image for easy Install or CM 7.0.3 TPT is here, here, here or here (size: 105.8mb md5: ce0780ab4104903edc957688b65d598b) or CM7 Nightly 82 is here, here or here (size:103.86mb md5:6437fca478f2cc91555a407c23025ed6 sha1:7d93a561e7368bf125ee92463f49abb252e4f161). It's a similar process to above & can be used as an alternative to the above TPT, it installs the latest CM7 rom & clockworkmod for you as well as upgrading to Gen2.

But is this installed as you would do as on a Gen1 phone

Edited by stephen m

Guest targetbsp
I have done and it says this:-

If you want the latest CM7 version as a TPT which will upgrade you Gen2 & do everything in one step, then check out curl66's thread here: [GEN1&GEN2][ROM]CM 7.0.2stable + N57 TPT Image for easy Install or CM 7.0.3 TPT is here, here, here or here (size: 105.8mb md5: ce0780ab4104903edc957688b65d598b) or CM7 Nightly 82 is here, here or here (size:103.86mb md5:6437fca478f2cc91555a407c23025ed6 sha1:7d93a561e7368bf125ee92463f49abb252e4f161). It's a similar process to above & can be used as an alternative to the above TPT, it installs the latest CM7 rom & clockworkmod for you as well as upgrading to Gen2.

But is this installed you would do as on a Gen1 phone

The instructions are above that bit you copied and those are what you should be following. The bit you copy and pasted are simply substitute files for the gen 1 to 2 converter. Treat them as you would the gen 1 to gen 2 converter. In fact, the last line you copied says exactly that. :rolleyes: If you're trying to install them using clockwork then you're doing it wrong. :P Maybe read the curl66 thread linked, the instructions are in more detail.

Guest Aarondk1

I'm going to buy a ZTE Blade this afternoon, but i already know it's a Gen 1 phone.

But this upgrade story confuses me, so i have a couple questions.

Copy a Gen2 rom zip file to your sd card ready to install. Check the md5sum of that against the source (you can use AFV for this).

So for example you take the CM7 N85 put it on your phone's SD card, right?

Unzip this Gen2 TPT zip file to your sd card, it should create an image directory

This is the zip you need to download in the tutorial, the one responsible for the upgrade?

But what do i need to do with that? I understand how to install a custom ROM but not what you need to do with the Gen2 TPT.

Can someone explain this a bit please?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Aarondk1

Guest targetbsp
I'm going to buy a ZTE Blade this afternoon, but i already know it's a Gen 1 phone.

But this upgrade story confuses me, so i have a couple questions.

So for example you take the CM7 N85 put it on your phone's SD card, right?

Yes

This is the zip you need to download in the tutorial, the one responsible for the upgrade?

Yes

But what do i need to do with that? I understand how to install a custom ROM but not what you need to do with the Gen2 TPT.

Can someone explain this a bit please?

Thanks a lot!

Post 1 explains how to do it (powering on with certain buttons held - that really is all there is to it). But this explains in more detail if it helps: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...r-easy-install/

Guest wbaw
wbaw, how is the progress on making a custom partition chooser?

I've got to upgrade a big website first, I'm busy on that at the moment.

Guest wbaw
I've got to upgrade a big website first, I'm busy on that at the moment.

But I will be back on it as soon as I have time.

Making it compatible with this gen2 upgrade would be easy, but I also want to add some more extra features to the tpt backup script, like ...

being able to run gen1 roms on gen2 phones, using the opposite to this tpt package (gen2 oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn, gen1 appsboot.mbn & amss.mbn) so that a tpt backup will run any gen1/gen2 rom on any gen1/gen2 blade.

some support for backing up & restoring apps2sd (.android_secure & sd-ext), although restoring will only work on roms that support a firstboot.sh, like cm7.

support for Chinese x/v880 phones & Japanese 003z phones

I also want to rewrite it & simplify the code, make it more readable, use dd for patching the partition sizes rather than cat.

Then it'll be complete & just need an Android GUI for setting options.

If anybody else wants to take my TPT backup/partition script & fix it up, you're more than welcome. The script that I wrote is public domain as far as I'm concerned, do whatever you want with it. If anybody does want to fix it up for me then pm me, I can tell you what I want it to do & how to do it, I just don't have time for all the testing at the moment.

I don't even have windows installed on any of my pcs, so I can't do the windows flashing at the moment to get my phone to a proper gen2 so that I can test that part of the script. I'll have to write half of it, test it with 3 or 4 different roms, then install windows on a pc, windows flash my phone to gen2 & test another 3 or 4 roms with it. So, it's not that hard, I know exactly what I need to do, but it's a lot of time & work to test it out properly. It'll take me a full day of work, not being able to use my only phone as a phone & not being able to use one of my pcs too, it might stretch into a 2nd day.

Edited by wbaw

Guest KACE_231
But I will be back on it as soon as I have time.

Making it compatible with this gen2 upgrade would be easy, but I also want to add some more extra features to the tpt backup script, like ...

being able to run gen1 roms on gen2 phones, using the opposite to this tpt package (gen2 oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn, gen1 appsboot.mbn & amss.mbn) so that a tpt backup will run any gen1/gen2 rom on any gen1/gen2 blade.

some support for backing up & restoring apps2sd (.android_secure & sd-ext), although restoring will only work on roms that support a firstboot.sh, like cm7.

support for Chinese x/v880 phones & Japanese 003z phones

I also want to rewrite it & simplify the code, make it more readable, use dd for patching the partition sizes rather than cat.

Then it'll be complete & just need an Android GUI for setting options.

If anybody else wants to take my TPT backup/partition script & fix it up, you're more than welcome. The script that I wrote is public domain as far as I'm concerned, do whatever you want with it. If anybody does want to fix it up for me then pm me, I can tell you what I want it to do & how to do it, I just don't have time for all the testing at the moment.

I don't even have windows installed on any of my pcs, so I can't do the windows flashing at the moment to get my phone to a proper gen2 so that I can test that part of the script. I'll have to write half of it, test it with 3 or 4 different roms, then install windows on a pc, windows flash my phone to gen2 & test another 3 or 4 roms with it. So, it's not that hard, I know exactly what I need to do, but it's a lot of time & work to test it out properly. It'll take me a full day of work, not being able to use my only phone as a phone & not being able to use one of my pcs too, it might stretch into a 2nd day.

Didnt understand most of that, but I still really appreciate the work you are putting in to make upgrading to GEN2 an easy process

Guest wbaw
Didnt understand most of that, but I still really appreciate the work you are putting in to make upgrading to GEN2 an easy process

It's more complicated to create the tpt backup script, because of this gen2 tpt upgrade. Soon we'll have 4 different versions of European blades that all behave differently for tpts, we'll have pure gen1 blades, gen1 blades that have been tpt'd to run gen2 roms (using the method in this thread), pure gen2 blades & also gen2 blades that have been tpt'd to run gen1 roms.

So, it's going to be quite complicated to write & then I'll have to test it with at least a couple of different roms in every possible configuration. I'll have to flash my phone at least 8 times. Worse than that, I can't even try the second two configs out until I've formatted my pc & installed windows, because windows flashing is the only way to get to a proper gen2.

Then there are apps2sd issues ... the current version wont backup or restore any apps that you put on your sd card, I want to fix that too.

Also, the Chinese (and possibly the Japanese) version of the blade will still be incompatible.

So it's going to take a lot of time & I have none at the moment. However, when it's done I'm aiming to make it an all in one tpt backup tool which can make a tpt backup from any blade work on any other blade.

Edited by wbaw

Guest wbaw

Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v6.zip size:16.04mb md5:a5bc769e357936a7e8d60b052a8a5d0b sha1:943a550d501d5648f4496ae4720215b5da1d99a6 partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data

Updated to v6, saved another previously unused 768kb from the splash partition & added it to userdata to make it 294.375mb in total. Also included a new improved splash image.

Edited by wbaw

Guest modacool
Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v6.zip size:16.04mb md5:a5bc769e357936a7e8d60b052a8a5d0b sha1:943a550d501d5648f4496ae4720215b5da1d99a6 partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data

Updated to v6, saved another previously unused 768kb from the splash partition & added it to userdata to make it 294.375mb in total. Also included a new improved splash image.

Thanks wbaw.

Does anyone know how to boot into TPT in the devices that the normal volume + power doesn't work?

I've tried everything and can't do it.

Guest KACE_231
Thanks wbaw.

Does anyone know how to boot into TPT in the devices that the normal volume + power doesn't work?

I've tried everything and can't do it.

try menu and vol+ together

Guest Conan Troutman

hi guys,

i need a little help cause i'm kinda stuck in the clockwordmod recovery.

i followed the steps wbaw described and everything worked fine - but when it comes to installing the gen2.zip file the installation is aborted (after finding and opening the update package).

after enabling the signature verifictation it is the same, it just adds "E:signature verification failed".

what shall i do?

thanks for your help

PS: can't reboot, just keep getting in the recovery mode over and over again, with or without SD card

Edited by Conan Troutman

Guest KACE_231
hi guys,

i need a little help cause i'm kinda stuck in the clockwordmod recovery.

i followed the steps wbaw described and everything worked fine - but when it comes to installing the gen2.zip file the installation is aborted (after finding and opening the update package).

after enabling the signature verifictation it is the same, it just adds "E:signature verification failed".

what shall i do?

thanks for your help

PS: can't reboot, just keep getting in the recovery mode over and over again, with or without SD card

Redownload an appropriate GEN2 ROM and check the md5#. You can use clockwork to access SD card via usb

Edited by KACE_231

Guest Conan Troutman

thanks a lot - i actually did check the md5 and it was reported as correct, but now i tried a different file (with an this time obviously proper md5 checker...) and it worked just fine. :D

Guest digital0
Small update. Just replaced the amss.mbn with the one from the latest Portuguese release.

What files should I take from v7 and v4 in order to have latest versions of everything and partition layout like in v4 (smaller system)?

Guest LexS007
What files should I take from v7 and v4 in order to have latest versions of everything and partition layout like in v4 (smaller system)?

need edit partition_zte and appsboot. I can do it tomorrow.

Edited by LexS007

Guest nio25

why the boot.img and the recovery.img files are exactly the same in Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v7.zip?

edit: never mind,i figured it :D

Edited by nio25

Guest LexS007

I edit partition from v7. New partition(138mb system, 315mb data, 2mb cache). LINK

md5 : a618471d44ae48d8ef6bccb432b3cfad

sha1: f23e3e7256c32bacb11acdeb5da64b89dd71fded

Edited by LexS007

Guest Bobby Newmark

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the Android world. I've got a ZTE Blade (San Francisco) from Orange Poland, with Cyanogen 7.0 Gen1. I'd liek to switch to latest Cyanogen, but I can't do the Gen1>Gen2 conversion for some odd reason.

I've read the whole thread here (please be forgiving if I missed a post or two), and can't find an answer why I can't do it. I take the followign steps.

1. I format the SD card (tried Windows, mkfs.vfat and ClockWorkMod format /sdcard) [just in case]

2. Download the TPT Cyanogen 7.03 image from the first post. I verify it's MD5, eveyrhing is ok.

3. I extract the image folder to the root of the SD card

4. Turn off the phone, remove battery, wait 10 sec

5. Press Menu+Vol+ and while holding them press Power on for about a sec.

Now, I know that it should start flashing, but.. it doesn't. I get the green Android logo, followed by the Cyanogen skateboard one and it boots normally to Cyanogen 7.0 Gen1.

I've tried two different SD cards (8GB and 4GB) both reformatted from scratch. Unfortunately, I don't have the original card, because I gave it away.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. I'd really liek to move to the latest nightly.

Guest paulocostavct

ok here goes a stupid question.

To go back to gen1 i need to run the tpt gen2 to gen1 but i also need to change the clockwork to another version right?

Guest kol0bok
ok here goes a stupid question.

To go back to gen1 i need to run the tpt gen2 to gen1 but i also need to change the clockwork to another version right?

TTBOMK Clockwork is part of the TPT set, so you get it automatically installed and then you can restore or install a Gen1 ROM from it.