Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest topek

I'm frustrated.

I downloaded the file.

Then extract it to my SD Card (folder image).

Then remove battery, waited at least 1 minute

Then press: MENU and hold it

Then press: Volume+ and hold it

Then press power and holt it for 1 second to switch on the device.

But there just boot my old swedish spring.

It doesn't matter how stron i press the buttons :)

If i only press volume+ button also nothing happens.

I have additional question.

My SD card ist 8GB and formatted with FAT32. I dont, have any partitions on it.

Formated the card in windows 7.

Question:

is it possible here to search in a specific topic or just the whole forum?

Guest Yuccaman
Question:

Can't help with the main problem, but I can help with this.....

At the bottom of each thread on the left hand side is Search button to search within the topic.....

Guest geegeethatsme

Thanks wbaw. The all-in-one Gen2 conversion and flash of GSF worked faultlessly. A2SD scripts ran on first boot. Just had to restore my ADW settings (I prefer it to LauncherPro) and job's a good 'un. One minor prob with a background services app (ClutchPad) which may be a generic Gingerbread thing and on which I'll speak to the app dev. All other functions tested so far are fine - GPS, MMS, 3G, dialer.

Now to see if it will allow me to switch sims in my dualsim slot without the constant re-signing into Google.

EDIT: Hmm, well yes, up to a point. I can now change between sims and don't need to re-sign into Google, hurrah. That does indeed seem to be a 2.3.4 side-benefit. But after the first switch between sims the Sim ToolKit embedded in the adapter appears to trip out. Grrr. I doubt that's an issue with wbaw's excellent rom, rather something to do with the adapter itself. I'll update if I find a fix.

Edited by geegeethatsme

Guest geegeethatsme
Is the Gen 1 to Gen 2 upgrade and rom compatible with the original OLED screen or just for TFT ?

My SF is one of the originals from last Autumn, with the OLED screen. No problems here.

Guest jonep
My SF is one of the originals from last Autumn, with the OLED screen. No problems here.

Thanks.. Can you just run Ginger Stir Fry B9 Gen1 Upgrade TPT or do you need to do the upgrade first ?

If you can what partition size does this give you ie maximum space for apps ?

EDIT : Answered my own question. Yes you can. Very much install and play. Credit to the OP and Cook ...

Edited by jonep

Added all in one rom upgrade TPT installs...

Gen1 to Gen2 All-in-one custom rom upgrade TPTs

Great work once again. Thank you very much, your work ist greatly appreciated.

May I ask what partition layout you are using? Is ist v7, v7b or something completely different?

Guest wbaw
Great work once again. Thank you very much, your work ist greatly appreciated.

May I ask what partition layout you are using? Is ist v7, v7b or something completely different?

Same partition layout as 7b (140mb system), new amss.mbn from the swedish/danish generic update (I think the 7 & 7b versions use the Greek amss.mbn).

Edited by wbaw

Guest topek
I'm frustrated.

I downloaded the file.

Then extract it to my SD Card (folder image).

Then remove battery, waited at least 1 minute

Then press: MENU and hold it

Then press: Volume+ and hold it

Then press power and holt it for 1 second to switch on the device.

But there just boot my old swedish spring.

It doesn't matter how stron i press the buttons :)

If i only press volume+ button also nothing happens.

I have additional question.

My SD card ist 8GB and formatted with FAT32. I dont, have any partitions on it.

Formated the card in windows 7.

Question:

I repeat my question.

I CAN'T flash my device.

Nothing happens if i press and hold: Menu & volume+ and then switch on the device.

My ZTE just boot my swedish spring...

Regards

topek

Guest wbaw
I repeat my question.

I CAN'T flash my device.

Nothing happens if i press and hold: Menu & volume+ and then switch on the device.

My ZTE just boot my swedish spring...

Regards

topek

Are you sure that you have a Gen1 phone? Did you try a different sd card?

Am I right in thinking Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v7b is the better of the 2?

Not really. It's only better, if the partition layout suits you better.

Guest pundir_ajay
This will convert your Gen1 phone to Gen2 & boot into ClockworkMod for you to install your rom. You will lose your data. Make any backups you want first. Gen1 nandroid backups wont restore on a Gen2 phone. Always check MD5s, one way to do it is to download AFV (Android File Verifier) from the Android Market, search for AFV.

It is for European Gen1 ZTE Blades, Orange San Franciscos, Sapo A5s & Base Luteas sold with Android 2.1 Eclair only. None of the downloads on this page will work if your phone was sold with or operator upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo. In that case, you already have the upgraded radio firmware. This is a safer alternative to the operator 2.2 upgrades which keeps some of the good features of Gen1 (like fastboot mode, tpt mode & extra storage space), but upgrades everything necessary to run Gen2 Android 2.2 Froyo & Android 2.3 Gingerbread roms.

Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v7.zip mirror mirror

Download size: 16.02mb

MD5: c10cd48bbfb8e2c16384ebb49e06eb5c

Partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data

Alternative version - Just enough space for CM7 & other custom roms, maximum space for your apps & data.

Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v7b.zip mirror mirror

Download size: 16.03mb

MD5: c1b4966604579fcc4bb2f69b83b6cb75

Partitions: 2mb cache, 140mb system, 314mb data

Instructions

Copy a Gen2 rom zip file to your sd card ready to install. Check the md5sum of that against the source (you can use AFV for this).

Unzip this Gen2 TPT zip file to your sd card, it should create an image directory.

Check the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory on your sd card using AFV on your phone (long press on nandroid.md5 file, then Verify Nandroid Backup)

Power off, wait a few seconds, then power on with menu & vol+ held.

It should take a few seconds to flash the new Gen2 firmware (you should see some green text), then it should reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, use that to wipe data & then install your Gen2 rom.

Once installed, remove the image directory from your sd card, to prevent accidentally reinstalling. Once you have installed this just vol+ & power on will send you back into tpt mode if there is an image directory, even if you needed menu & vol+ before.

These are all in one rom + gen2 radio firmware + clockworkmod installs for 'Gen1' ZTE Blades & Orange San Franciscos which were sold with Android 2.1 (Eclair). They will upgrade your phone to Gen2 radio firmware, install the rom & the latest ClockworkMod all in one step, even on unrooted phones. There are two versions of my Ginger Stir Fry - ZTE Gingerbread 2.3.4 based custom rom, one with the ZTE dialler, keyboard & other apps & the standard version with improved replacements.

To install: Unzip the file to the root of your sdcard, it will create an 'image' folder. Check the integrity of the files using AFV (available from android market) to find the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, then long press on it & verify nandroid backup. Turn off your phone, leave it for at least 30 seconds, then hold menu & volume + when you power it on. You should see some green text (may be just a blank screen) then it should reboot & you should see a big android while it is performing it's first boot (this will take a while). Once it has successfully started up don't forget to delete the image folder on your sd card, to prevent any accidents.

Ginger Stir Fry B9 Gen1 Upgrade TPT

Download: gsf-blade-b9-tpt.zip mirror mirror

Download size: 101.03mb

MD5: 60a541641bf1062414c799c8e3345dbc

Ginger Stir Fry B9 Gen1 Upgrade TPT with ZTE Apps, Dialler & Keyboard

Download: gsf-blade-b9-zteapps-tpt.zip mirror mirror

Download size: 105.97mb

MD5: a5765b0aa9da0068abe5437caf8c729b

CyanogenMod 7.1 RC1

Download: cm-7.1.0-RC1-Blade-TPT.zip mirror mirror

Download size: 104.48mb

MD5: 4e7a35b4485bf0296ba57c1f4730c4e3

It is reversible using any Gen1 full TPT (links below), but this will only work on phones that have been upgraded using this method, not phones bought with Gen2 or upgraded with the windows software.

The technical bit...

This includes a mix of Gen1 & Gen2 firmware files to make it work. Everything important for roms is Gen2 ... here are the files.

Gen1: cefs.mbn, oemsbl.mbn, oemsblhd.mbn, partition.mbn, qcsbl.mbn, qcsbl_cfgdata.mbn

Gen2: amss.mbn, amsshd.mbn, appsboot.mbn, appsboothd.mbn, partition_zte.mbn

If you want to experiment then it's important to make sure that oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn are from the same version. Do not use the appsboot.mbn or partition_zte.mbn on a proper Gen2 phone.

Going back to Gen1

If you upgraded to Gen2 using the above TPT, then going back to Gen1 is easy & safe (if not, sorry, out of luck here). You can install any Gen1 TPT to go back to Gen1, but make sure that it contains a Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn

Here is Gen1 with stock partitions & ClockworkMod 3.0.14 (16.4mb) -

Download: Gen2-to-Gen1-TPT-v2-stock.zip mirror mirror

MD5: fddc02f6f48a53910c317fbef38cf7e4

Partitions: 42mb cache,207mb system,208mb data

Safety

Charge your phone first, make sure it's well charged before doing any TPT, but remove it from the charger before you TPT.

Check the MD5 of any files, they're there for a reason. AFV from the android market will help you to check the files on your phone, there is a nandroid.md5 file to check.

There is a nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, check that when it's on your phone, using AFV from Android Market.

No guarantees.

Remove the image directory from your sd card after install, to prevent accidental wipe & re-installs in future.

Dear freind I have dell xcd35 which is actually ZTE_BLADE only my problem is when try to boot in recovery mode by any mean it just hangs on dell logo on screen doesnt go beyond that.i used recovery manger rom manager boot manager and start with volume key on hold but nothing worked please help

thanks in advance

ajay

Guest pundir_ajay
This will convert your Gen1 phone to Gen2 & boot into ClockworkMod for you to install your rom. You will lose your data. Make any backups you want first. Gen1 nandroid backups wont restore on a Gen2 phone. Always check MD5s, one way to do it is to download AFV (Android File Verifier) from the Android Market, search for AFV.

It is for European Gen1 ZTE Blades, Orange San Franciscos, Sapo A5s & Base Luteas sold with Android 2.1 Eclair only. None of the downloads on this page will work if your phone was sold with or operator upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo. In that case, you already have the upgraded radio firmware. This is a safer alternative to the operator 2.2 upgrades which keeps some of the good features of Gen1 (like fastboot mode, tpt mode & extra storage space), but upgrades everything necessary to run Gen2 Android 2.2 Froyo & Android 2.3 Gingerbread roms.

Alternative version - Just enough space for CM7 & other custom roms, maximum space for your apps & data.

Instructions

Copy a Gen2 rom zip file to your sd card ready to install. Check the md5sum of that against the source (you can use AFV for this).

Unzip this Gen2 TPT zip file to your sd card, it should create an image directory.

Check the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory on your sd card using AFV on your phone (long press on nandroid.md5 file, then Verify Nandroid Backup)

It should take a few seconds to flash the new Gen2 firmware (you should see some green text), then it should reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, use that to wipe data & then install your Gen2 rom.

Once installed, remove the image directory from your sd card, to prevent accidentally reinstalling. Once you have installed this just vol+ & power on will send you back into tpt mode if there is an image directory, even if you needed menu & vol+ before.

These are all in one rom + gen2 radio firmware + clockworkmod installs for 'Gen1' ZTE Blades & Orange San Franciscos which were sold with Android 2.1 (Eclair). They will upgrade your phone to Gen2 radio firmware, install the rom & the latest ClockworkMod all in one step, even on unrooted phones. There are two versions of my Ginger Stir Fry - ZTE Gingerbread 2.3.4 based custom rom, one with the ZTE dialler, keyboard & other apps & the standard version with improved replacements.

To install: Unzip the file to the root of your sdcard, it will create an 'image' folder. Check the integrity of the files using AFV (available from android market) to find the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, then long press on it & verify nandroid backup. Turn off your phone, leave it for at least 30 seconds, then hold menu & volume + when you power it on. You should see some green text (may be just a blank screen) then it should reboot & you should see a big android while it is performing it's first boot (this will take a while). Once it has successfully started up don't forget to delete the image folder on your sd card, to prevent any accidents.

CyanogenMod 7.1 RC1

It is reversible using any Gen1 full TPT (links below), but this will only work on phones that have been upgraded using this method, not phones bought with Gen2 or upgraded with the windows software.

The technical bit...

This includes a mix of Gen1 & Gen2 firmware files to make it work. Everything important for roms is Gen2 ... here are the files.

Gen1: cefs.mbn, oemsbl.mbn, oemsblhd.mbn, partition.mbn, qcsbl.mbn, qcsbl_cfgdata.mbn

If you want to experiment then it's important to make sure that oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn are from the same version. Do not use the appsboot.mbn or partition_zte.mbn on a proper Gen2 phone.

Going back to Gen1

If you upgraded to Gen2 using the above TPT, then going back to Gen1 is easy & safe (if not, sorry, out of luck here). You can install any Gen1 TPT to go back to Gen1, but make sure that it contains a Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn

Safety

Charge your phone first, make sure it's well charged before doing any TPT, but remove it from the charger before you TPT.

Check the MD5 of any files, they're there for a reason. AFV from the android market will help you to check the files on your phone, there is a nandroid.md5 file to check.

There is a nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, check that when it's on your phone, using AFV from Android Market.

No guarantees.

Remove the image directory from your sd card after install, to prevent accidental wipe & re-installs in future.

will this work for my dell xcd35. which is zte_blade originally sold by dell in india.

it stuck in boot recovery mode just hangs on dell logo. i tried various methods.like rommanager. various booting applications hed volume kry while power on. but nothing helped. can you help me. thanks in advance.

ajay

Guest topek
Are you sure that you have a Gen1 phone? Did you try a different sd card?

Yeah, i'm sure.

I used ask-mr-pig-fish

I used different SD card.

I took 2GB Card (normally i use 8GB) formatted it in windows 7 using FAT32 and extract the image folder to that (empty and formatted card).

Should the SD card have different partition system?

Perhaps is my Blade already changed to Gen2 (i bought it used, swedis spring, 2.2 was already there)?

If i start my device with pressed volume- i see on the screen

ClockworkMod Recovery V3.0.2.8

reboot system now

apply sdcard:udpadate.zip

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

install zip from sdcard

backup and restore

mounts and storage

advanced

But if i ask mr pig fish i get the answer:

"your phone was buyed as 2.1"

How can i check, that my phone has been changed to Gen2?

Edited by topek

Guest pundir_ajay

Instructions

CyanogenMod 7.1 RC1

The technical bit...

Going back to Gen1

Safety

No guarantees.

Dear friend,

i just tried it. but unfortunately installation aborted i dont know why. know it is just stuk on recovery mode menu. plaese help.

ajay

Guest topek
Dear friend,

i just tried it. but unfortunately installation aborted i dont know why. know it is just stuk on recovery mode menu. plaese help.

ajay

Dear friend,

why do you cite 500 lines of text and write 1 (ONE!) sentence?

My god :-(

Guest geegeethatsme
If i start my device with pressed volume- i see on the screen

ClockworkMod Recovery V3.0.2.8

reboot system now

apply sdcard:udpadate.zip

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

install zip from sdcard

backup and restore

mounts and storage

advanced

You can see the Image folder on your sd card? And you did hold down Menu and Volume+ long enough when booting from a cold start (not from within Clockwork) until green text appeared detailing the image installation progress?

Guest topek
You can see the Image folder on your sd card?

Yes i can.

I also verfied the file nandroid.md5 with "AVF" (Android File Verifier) for checksum.

Everything ok

And you did hold down Menu and Volume+ long enough when booting from a cold start

I remove the battery for at least 1 minute

Then i put the battery back to my device and close it with plastic cover.

Then i pressed and hold MENU

Then i pressed and hold volume+

Thein i pressed for 2 seconds Power and then release the button

I'm still pressing/holding these 2 buttons: MENU and volume+

My Android bootet normal. Old system (swedish spring) has been loaded.

So i pressed for about 2 minutes until my old system is completly booted.

No reaction on Menu & volume+

Or volume+ after switching on the device.

I'm so frustrated....

(not from within Clockwork) until green text appeared detailing the image installation progress?

Nothin appears like green text.

It doesn't matter what i do.

My system boot and start normally.

Is my sd card (formatted FAT32 under windows7) ok?

Or do i need to prepare the card somehow?

best regards

topek

Guest geegeethatsme
Nothin appears like green text.

It doesn't matter what i do.

My system boot and start normally.

Is my sd card (formatted FAT32 under windows7) ok?

Or do i need to prepare the card somehow?

best regards

topek

Very strange. That's the same routine I followed and the green text came up almost immediately. So I would conclude that the tpt process isn't finding the Image folder.

I wouldn't think it would be an issue with partitioning the sd card. You don't have an ext partition so A2SD won't run, but that would only be an issue after the Gen2 conversion and at first boot - unless wbaw has a routine in the Image folder that checks for an ext partition and if that returns a 'none found' then the rest of the process doesn't run. I've deleted my Image folder so I can't look to check. Why not add an ext3 partition (512mb is fine) and try again, if only so that can be ruled out as a cause. Make sure the ext3 partition is the second partition on the card, i.e. the FAT32 partition comes first.

I guess another possibility might be that after you partitioned the sd card you didn't remount it on the phone before attempting the conversion, in which event the conversion process won't find any Image folder and you'll just reboot into the existing rom on the phone?

Guest topek

First of all, thanks for your help.

Very strange. That's the same routine I followed and the green text came up almost immediately. So I would conclude that the tpt process isn't finding the Image folder.

I agree. It looks like this.

I wouldn't think it would be an issue with partitioning the sd card. You don't have an ext partition so A2SD won't run,

You mean the App2SD funcitonality?

It works with my card.

I moved some apps from my Blade to sdCard and they're working.

but that would only be an issue after the Gen2 conversion and at first boot - unless wbaw has a routine in the Image folder that checks for an ext partition and if that returns a 'none found' then the rest of the process doesn't run.

So, you suggest to format the SD Card in different way than windows7 formatiing (FAT32) ?

I've deleted my Image folder so I can't look to check.

What i pity :)

I checked it with another SD Card (just 2GB, not SDHC, like my normal 8GB)

Why not add an ext3 partition (512mb is fine) and try again,

How can i format in a right way my sd card to have ext3 and other partitions?

Make sure the ext3 partition is the second partition on the card, i.e. the FAT32 partition comes first.

As i wrote. I don't know how to create partitions on my sdCard.

I guess another possibility might be that after you partitioned the sd card you didn't remount it on the phone

What do you mean with remounting the card on the phone?

before attempting the conversion, in which event the conversion process won't find any Image folder and you'll just reboot into the existing rom on the phone?

NO idea :-(

.... 2 minutes later ....

i found it here, how2format a card:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-questions-faq/

I want to use A2SD but what do I do

Firstly you need a ROM that supports A2SD, next you need to know if it support EXT2/3/4

Now you need to change the way your SDCard is Partitioned.

In Ubuntu use GParted - in Windows get the home version of Partition Wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Now Copy EVERYTHING off the SD Card.

Make the FIRST partition the FAT32 one (primary partition) - leave 512MB or more for the EXT2/3/4 (where apps will be installed)

Now Make Another partition (must be the SECOND) as EXT2/3/4 - also make this primary.

Now mount the Card and copy all your data back to the FAT32 Part - assuming it fits.

When you install/next boot you ROM, the EXT2/3/4 partition will be mounted as DATA / this is where your apps go from now on.

Edited by topek

Guest topek

I've created ext2 partition on my sd card but menu & volume+ doesn't work as well

partycje8JIUM.jpg

Copied image folder to fat32 (primary) partition

But still dosen't work

:-/

WTF?!

Edited by topek

Guest topek
topek, just try a different micosd card, some seem to be a bit incompatible.

I tried 2 different cards.

My default card

8GB SDHC (noname?)

And from my digi cam:

2GB Kingston

Do you think it's because of the card?