Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest trueno2k

As I said, it's a very small risk of destroying your phone, but it can happen. I've heard of somebody that flashed a tpt that had worked fine before, but it somehow ended up erasing all the first part of the nand instead. I've done it hundreds of times & not had a problem except when I messed it up trying to create this TPT. A tpt rewrites all the low level firmware, so if it goes badly wrong you might need to jtag it. It's very unlikely to happen (unless you corrupt or change .mbn files), but it's even less likely if you only TPT when you need to. It's a similar kind of risk to doing a bios update on a PC.

Yes I understand... Well, lets just hope each time I tpt there's less than 0.1% chance of failing... If it does however fail, I do have backups and so will be able to transfer to a new phone if that is possible, right?

There is absolutely no need for anybody to update to v8 if they're happy with their current gen2 partition layout. It isn't really an update, you're either gen1 or gen2, all the different gen2 amss.mbn files seem to make no difference at all. All I did were very slight tweaks to gain an extra mb or so since v4 & the stock rom compatible version. Unless you want to try out stock roms, or the rom you want is bigger than your current system partition, there is no need to change. I just use the latest available amss.mbn whenever I make some very minor partition layout change, just in case there are any improvements, or in case it might fix some incompatibility with newer phones. I haven't noticed any difference at all between any of the different gen2 amss.mbn files that I've tried on my phone. The files are a little bit different in each update which is released, but they all seem to behave in exactly the same way to me.

So far my mixing of the mbn files haven't screwed up my phone yet, so I guessing the tpt image file arrangements have been a success, although I didn't really make any real changes, just compiling a new tpt image from the different files in each version of tpt that I downloaded from your server and kept...

Cuz I modify the nightly CM7 rom zip file (before flashing) so that most of the stuff I don't want or use are deleted or replaced with other stuff I do want and use, I get left with a few more MBs of spare /system/app folder space, which am currently filling up with apps/apks (that I rarely need to update) using the "ADB push XXX.apk /system/app" command just so that I can get as much data storage for other apps that need to be there for frequent updates, BUT, for those apps on the /system/app folder I need a PC for me to ADB push new update apps/apk's and this is why it would be nice to have a smaller system partition and larger data partition, so that I only need to put the necessary apps on the /system/app folder... However, I don't want to disturb you or the community for something that is pointless/not useful for the whole community, so I'm very happy to sticking with the 138MB/316MB split until when there is a need from the whole community for less system/more data partition split layout...

AGAIN, Keep up the Great Work... I just can't stop praising for your hard work you have done for this community...LOL :P

You're better off with too much space on system than too little, you don't want to have to tpt again every time you flash a new rom. The most you can possibly gain is about 20-30mb, which isn't much & not worth any time, effort or risk to your phone. If you need more space for apps then partition your sd card instead.

Edited by wbaw

Guest sej7278

You're better off with too much space on system than too little, you don't want to have to tpt again every time you flash a new rom. The most you can possibly gain is about 20-30mb, which isn't much & not worth any time, effort or risk to your phone. If you need more space for apps then partition your sd card instead.

about to tpt my sister's gen1 from mcr12, and will probably use cm-7.1.0-RC1-Blade-TPT.zip for ease of use (then the latest nightly) so does that have a 160mb /system, i.e. is it essentially v5 or later?

Guest Amphoras

I've been looking at making apps recently, so I thought I'd give this a try. Its pretty basic so far, but it can check the md5 of the zip, unzip it to the image folder, and can check the md5s of the files inside the zip. Currently it checks the root of the sdcard and the download folder for the stock and custom v8 TPTs, and gives the option to work on them. It also lets you enter the name of any TPT, as long as its on the root of the sdcard. I'm going to try and add some more stuff, but I'm very new to this, so it takes a while. I've uploaded it here if anyone wants to try it. Let me know what you think :).

http://www.mediafire...3qmadyaskf8jkgs

Made a new version. It now has download links for both v8 Gen 1 to Gen 2 TPTs, and for the Gen 2 to Gen 1 TPT. It also searches for the Gen 2 to Gen 1 TPT when you choose to check the md5/unzip a file. There's an option to delete the image folder so you can easily get rid of it after you've finished the TPT. Made some changes to give better feedback if you try to make it do something it can't (eg. it tells you do pick another file if you try to unzip a txt file rather than claiming to have unzipped it when it hasn't).

New version is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?q4y4i25di4yp6u9

Going to try and add progress bars while it does the different tasks, better feedback after checking the nandroid.md5 on which files match/which don't. Maybe some other stuff, I'm sure I thought of something earlier but I've forgotten now.

Guest k0zmic

Made a new version. It now has download links for both v8 Gen 1 to Gen 2 TPTs, and for the Gen 2 to Gen 1 TPT. It also searches for the Gen 2 to Gen 1 TPT when you choose to check the md5/unzip a file. There's an option to delete the image folder so you can easily get rid of it after you've finished the TPT. Made some changes to give better feedback if you try to make it do something it can't (eg. it tells you do pick another file if you try to unzip a txt file rather than claiming to have unzipped it when it hasn't).

New version is here: http://www.mediafire...q4y4i25di4yp6u9

Going to try and add progress bars while it does the different tasks, better feedback after checking the nandroid.md5 on which files match/which don't. Maybe some other stuff, I'm sure I thought of something earlier but I've forgotten now.

Good work!

Also, (eventually) consider adding a help menu with instructions (i.e. just follow the order of the buttons on-screen) and perhaps troubleshooting tips?

Guest trueno2k

Well, I'm happy with the v8 tpt using which ever version tpt that the 138MB/316MB partition layout came from and modifying the CM7 rom file so I can flash only what is needed/wanted onto the system partition, and I can just uninstall system apps that I pushed on the /system/app folder using ADB, and install them normally when I need to create more space for system app updates... So, yeah, I do agree that I don't need any less system and more data partition as I found out that gapps is increasing with its new market and talk apps...

Question, If I wanted to get to GEN2 tpt state with no ROM or Gapps on the phone do I do a factory reset or do I need to go into the advanced section and do a format on the required folders? I just can't be bothered to having the need to boot into recovery to find out! :P

Oh and thanks for reply again :D

Edited by trueno2k

Guest sej7278

i was about to ask something similar to trueno2k - do we have to do a factory reset during/after this tpt if coming from froyo? its been so long since i did it on my phone i can't remember and i've got to do it on someone's MCR12 gen1 phone tomorrow.

does factory reset wipe the sdcard too (don't want that to happen) or does it just wipe dalvik+/cache+/data ?

looked at the sourcecode to answer my own question: factory reset just wipes data.

Edited by sej7278

Guest seraphim2017

Ok, having troubles with this, I can't get the v8 stock OR custiome to extract, have tried re downloading it several times, and it says error every time when it gets to the boot image (running w7 64 but tried both 32 and 64 bit browsers, firefox, chrome and IE8)

Currently running JJ9 as when I DID manage to update to SS RLS5 it shafted up my handset and hardly anything worked! no wifi, no sms, and wouldn't open market etc..! not very promising considering just how good JJ9 is. I wanted to try out CM7 as it's gingerbread based (isn't it?) But have reverted my handset back to CWM 2.5.1.8 for now.

Any tips for getting this to work, what am I missing? I've formatted sd etc and tried several times, can't get CWM 4.x.x to recognise the v8 tpt file (stock OR custom, both have the same boot image failure when extracting) and have also tried v7 but that also comes up with aborted on CWM.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd love to see Gingerbread goodness on my handset!

Guest seraphim2017

SHould also say that holding menu vol + and power just hangs on the green android, only reaction I get is by vol- and power booting into CWM 2.5.1.8 or 4.x.x and had to drop back to the older CWM as my JJ9 needed updates which newer clockwork didn't support.

Have Md5 checksummed all files and they all checked out so at a loss as to why this happened!

Guest sej7278

SHould also say that holding menu vol + and power just hangs on the green android, only reaction I get is by vol- and power booting into CWM 2.5.1.8 or 4.x.x and had to drop back to the older CWM as my JJ9 needed updates which newer clockwork didn't support.

Have Md5 checksummed all files and they all checked out so at a loss as to why this happened!

you're probably using windows crappy built-in "compressed folders" utility? it really is worthless. try winzip, winrar, 7zip, anything but that built-in rubbish. i've even seen it fail on passworded zips, i don't know how mickeysoft managed to screw up a zip program so badly lol.

Guest targetbsp

you're probably using windows crappy built-in "compressed folders" utility? it really is worthless. try winzip, winrar, 7zip, anything but that built-in rubbish. i've even seen it fail on passworded zips, i don't know how mickeysoft managed to screw up a zip program so badly lol.

It would have been anti-competitive of them to have made it any good. :D

i was about to ask something similar to trueno2k - do we have to do a factory reset during/after this tpt if coming from froyo? its been so long since i did it on my phone i can't remember and i've got to do it on someone's MCR12 gen1 phone tomorrow.

does factory reset wipe the sdcard too (don't want that to happen) or does it just wipe dalvik+/cache+/data ?

looked at the sourcecode to answer my own question: factory reset just wipes data.

factory reset wipes data, cache, sd-ext & android_secure.

The tpt will wipe data, but if you've used any type of apps2sd (including the native froyo one) then I'd advise doing a factory reset in clockworkmod because that wont be wiped during tpt.

Use 7zip to extract files: http://www.7-zip.org/

Guest seraphim2017

Solved: Wbaw thanks for that, I used my old works pc and the older windows zip function worked fine. I'm now running either Cyanogen nightly 164 or RC1 of 7.1.0 (can't remember which!) and have done a full overnight charge and reset battery stats (battery life important for me!) having turned off wifi BT and operating on 2/3g mix, I'm going to see how long battery lasts.

The kernel being used is still froyo? (32 not 35?) but it's gingerbread somehow? Much more space now than before, stopped me from getting permanenent low storage on phone messages and bouncing back text messages!

It says Gingerbread 2.3.5 on the about me section, is this the most current version, and is it stable?

Still drops wifi at home (which my ipod touch doesn't) but every version of android I've ever used has done this, seems to be an android thing more than anything else.

All in all, thanks Wbaw!

Oh, and what i did wrong was not putting the folder 'image' in the root directory, hence the hang on android man when I pressed vol up, menu and power. I'm a typical android user, as for every one of you that's good at this stuff, there are a thousand of me just using the thing! (I once spent a whole half hour watching a really boring cookery program before my Missus told me it was a microwave!)

Bonus result, angry birds seems to lag less, extra bonus, google remembered my apps and redownloaded them for me!

EDIT:

GPS doesn't work = CM 7 useless to me until it does! Is GSF b19 more reliable?

Edited by seraphim2017

Basically, gen 2 lets you run gingerbread roms.

Yeah.

When ZTE started releasing froyo phones & updates to froyo they made them depend on new radio firmware & bootloaders to load froyo making their 2.2 roms incompatible with 2.1 phones, this was called 'Gen2'. Most of the blades & variants sold worldwide are now Gen2. It's easier & safer to update a gen1 phone to gen2 than downgrading gen2 phones to gen1.

To make all the phones compatible with each other & make live easier for rom developers it was decided that everybody should update their 'gen1' phones to 'gen2'. ZTE's official way of doing that is messy, it requires Windows, it wastes storage space on your phone & it has quite a high failure rate. So I created this improved method.

Guest sej7278

isn't a 2mb cache going to cause problems with market3 - or is that not the download cache ?

i noticed /cache/download is symlinked to /data which is 290mb or something (v5) so i guess it will be fine?

its just that my sister's phone (v8) is having trouble downloading facebook and maps and i wondered if this was why, although she has the regular market2.

Guest Amphoras

Has anyone tried/managed to unzip the v8 custom TPT using my app? Been doing some testing tonight and I can't get it to work. The other ones I've tried (including v8 stock) have been fine. I tried unzipping and rezipping it on my pc then trying, and that worked for some reason.

Did you use something different to zip that file that the others wbaw? Don't see why you would have, but I can't think of any other reason. The code it uses to unzip the files should be exactly the same, the md5 sums match, and if I unzip it using something else, the files inside all match the nandroid.md5 file.

Can anyone think of anything else that could be causing it? Its very confusing.

Guest LukeMR

Firstly...thank you to Wbaw for this easy to use upgrade. I did it over the weekend and it worked flawlessly. I'm loving GSF !! :D

But I've come across a small problem which I hope someone can help me with.

I'm having trouble getting any alarm apps to work properly. I noticed that there wasn't a default one installed so I've tried Alarm Clock Plus and Alarm Clock Extreme but both have the same issue. Neither of them will let me snooze or even turn them off. The snooze/dismiss button appears but when pressed it just disappears. It says it's in snooze mode but the music/sound keeps playing. The only way to stop it is to manually "kill" the alarm app in settings. Not the nicest way to wake up in the morning :blink:

Has anyone come across this problem before and is there a fix or an alarm app that works?

Guest MidaMilunk

Do you think I would EVER convert my phone real Gen2? Does it have any advantage?

I have bought some application which is bound on some identifier. It has changed after TPT-ing to Gen2, I think it would also change converting into a REAL Gen2 device, so I do not want to finish the "phone change" process before to decide whether I am going to keep the current configuration.

Many people reports higher Quadrant scores than me with the very same hardware and ROM. Is it possible that this is in connection having an officially Gen2ized phone or a TPTd device?

I need to go back to Gen1. How can I find out, if I used TPT or Windows flash to convert to gen2?

I dont want to brick my phone.

Or can I use TPT gen2 to gen 1, if I used the TPT method to convert to gen2?

Thanks.

Guest digital0

It's written in the 1st message:

It is reversible using any Gen1 full TPT (links below), but this will only work on phones that have been upgraded using this method

Guest targetbsp

I need to go back to Gen1. How can I find out, if I used TPT or Windows flash to convert to gen2?

I dont want to brick my phone.

Thanks.

The methods involved are completely different. If you check the instructions for both, surely you'll remember which you followed?