Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest stoke1863
Best way is wait for my Gen1 TPT then flash that & install your stock rom, either from the nandroid backup you made before you installed your first rom, or from seb's stock rom thread. If you bought an Orange UK San Francisco last September, it's probably the B05 version.

If you bought it from Orange, then it has a 2 year warranty, dial 450 from an Orange PayG phone, or 07973 100 450 from another phone & they'll send a courier with a replacement the next day.

Thanks for the help. I actually have opened this phone to change the digitalizer only this morning. Everything worked perfect until i installed CM7

so i guess there is no replacement for me as there was a small white sticker over a screw

Guest iKrautDroid
I think it was the missing splash.img more than anything, but maybe the missing mbn files & lack of blank system.img & userdata.img had something to do with it too. Version 2 should work reliably anyway.

Also using HCDRJacob's Gen2 ClockworkMod now, due to complaints about amon-ra, hopefully everyone can be happy with that.

Thanks!

Clockwork is better...

Thanks for the help. I actually have opened this phone to change the digitalizer only this morning. Everything worked perfect until i installed CM7

so i guess there is no replacement for me as there was a small white sticker over a screw

well, the courier doesn't check the phone that thoroughly, afaik.

Although it sounds like you might have damaged it, the hardware issue that has caused this problem on a lot of phones is a bad connection to the digitizer, so check that again. The warranty doesn't cover damage that you've caused.

The good news is that it's fixable, if you're useful with a soldering iron, there is a thread on here describing how to do it, use the search. I just suggested a warranty replacement as I assumed it was a common manufacturing defect.

Edited by wbaw

Guest gsam101

I just did the update. It works well, thank you ! I have now HSDPA support that i didn't have before :) (yes, HSDPA and not HSUPA, it didn't work stock my phone, was stuck with the "3G" icon)

Edited by gsam101

Guest leromarinvit
I think I ended up flashing a gen2 partition.mbn along with a gen1 oemsbl.mbn at my final attempt to fix it, that made the phone show no sign of life at all, totally dead. So, don't do that!

Does DFU mode (vol+ & vol- & power) work? If it does, the full-featured flasher could be able to recover it.

Guest burstlam
Agreed :)

As i understood, OEMSBL is sort of a plugin to QCSBL (which is fixed and signed by qualcomm). It probably is the vendor-specific part to locate at least AMSS and possibly the rest of the software on the phone (and it also takes care of TPT and maybe a part of download mode). So it would make sense it has some partition information in it, though i haven't been able to find it so far.

It makes sense to include as little as possible for TPT. With what you describe in mind, TPTs should really never include oemsbl for the blade, as there only are 2 different versions and they both need a different partition.mbn. Currently, though, full gen2 phones won't even accept the TPT images you posted, so people will have to really do something wrong to accidentally put it in their phones :)

Attached is some simple source code that *might* create a valid image.bin. The format seems simple enough and many parts of the TPT flasher code haven't been changed. Again, make sure you know what you're doing if you decide to experiment with it (for example, try it first with high-level images, like boot.img/system.img), and please double-check the code if you're able to. The important part is the type id. Partition table locations are fixed and i gave them an id of 0, since those entries are ignored by the flasher logic.

yes . QCSBL is qualcomm related as I could see module inside link up with it

Guest skyhacker
Stuck at green android guy... as another person in here... no idea what I do wrong. :)

Check if you placed the folder image in the root of the SD Card and not the files, I was doing that wrong

Guest leromarinvit
Does this method enable 850mhz 3G too? I suppose it doesn't?

It should, since the radio is the newer one. In fact, you can use the newer radio on Gen1 phones too by replacing amss in the Hungarian TPT.

I just added a few more TPTs to make it a bit easier.

I'll post another little update to the partition layout at some point, I can reclaim a little more space that's unused with the current layout, should only end up losing about 2mb nand data storage space by going to Gen2 from Gen1 when I get round to it.

Edited by wbaw

Guest KonstaT

Great job wbaw!

I think you should make more versions with alternative partition layouts. Gen2 original layout or atleast one with decent cache. I don't want to start messing with partitions myself. Thanks.

I just added a few more TPTs to make it a bit easier.

I'll post another little update to the partition layout at some point, I can reclaim a little more space that's unused with the current layout, should only end up losing about 2mb nand data storage space by going to Gen2 from Gen1 when I get round to it.

will it be possible to make a version that can be used on blades upgraded to gen2 with windows flasher ?

would be sweet to have TPT back :)

Guest jeddy1

let me understand a bit pls.

i download this : CM7-N42-Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT.zip mirror 78c7c3d5e37edc91fb358b5afa5e4c56 (2mb cache, 136 mb system, 302mb data. 0 oem) - Download size 103.4mb

Did that all sound like too much hard work? This version will upgrade from Gen1 to Gen2, wipe data, install CM7 Nightly 42, gapps & Clockworkmod. All in one TPT to give you the latest CM7 nightly & Gen2 firmware, for any Gen1 Blade.

Just unzip it to your sd card, then power off, power on with menu & volume+ held, then wait a few minutes for it to install.

i have to download the cm7 nightly42 or cm7 nightly42 is in this TPT i will download????

EDIT: ok i guess its in here so only thing i must do just power on with wol up and menu

EDIT 2 : mine is already Gen2 :) but i am getting some reboots when i use the speedtest.net.apk

Edited by jeddy1

Guest dadashi

After I convert my Gen1 to Gen2 TPT can I install my nandroid Gen1 SS RLS5 backup?

The SS RLS's are supposed to be for both Gen1/Gen2 (hybrid?)...that would be great as I wouldn't have to install all my apps, data etc...

Edited by dadashi

Yes, you do. With this tpt method, there is an easy way back to Gen1, ie. for warranty. You don't have this alternative.

Edited by bhf

Guest jeddy1
i cant use the tpt mode of my phone too,dont know why...?

stuck at green android too...

any suggestions?

yes better do it like this: download the first zip which its 16.1 mb.extract the folder it have inside just like it is called image.put it(all the folder called image) to the root of sdcard and put to the root of sdcard also a rom which is for gen2 phones (cm7 nightly 41-50,ss rls5.) turn off phone and turn it on again holding menu and volume up.after it finish it will take u to clockwork recovery then install the rom for gen 2 and thats it:)

AN DEN TO KATALAVES KSANAGRAPSE NA STO PW OLO STA ELLINIKA .

good luck

Edited by jeddy1

CM7-N42-Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT.zip mirror 78c7c3d5e37edc91fb358b5afa5e4c56 (2mb cache, 136 mb system, 302mb data. 0 oem) - Download size 103.4mb

Did that all sound like too much hard work? This version will upgrade from Gen1 to Gen2, wipe data, install CM7 Nightly 42, gapps & Clockworkmod. All in one TPT to give you the latest CM7 nightly & Gen2 firmware, for any Gen1 Blade.

Can this TPT file used as a template and just replace CM7 N41 with the very recent version?

EDIT: I looked into the image directory and the answer would be no, no easy replacement I guess. N41 is integrated as system.img.

Fair enough, so it is the single tpt and all the too much hard work, then. :)

Edited by bhf