Help a noob with his battery problem

Guest sjvega

Guest phil8715
i think what warriorscot said seems to make some sense

how many of you with this issue have versions with 3g? (whether you are using the 3g or not) and i noticed at least a couple of you have pov mobii's so maybe its somethign present in the mobii that isnt in mine (mine is an advent vega)

anyoen having this issue with a vega?

Mine is a Vega too.

Guest carl rose

I always had this problem with my old vega. Since I swapped it an it came with the 1.10 it never happens. I have tested it many times by rebooting normally when it goes under 60% but it is fixed. I had to reboot 4 times a while ago and everytime I reboot it comes with thew same % as it was. Not even 1% off. It basically does not take anything out of the battery to reboot

Guest Minimonkey
fully charge it before resetting the battery stats then let it run down completely then recharge it fully again

Looks like that did the trick cheers.

I fully charged then reset the stats went back to Corvus Rom turned off last night at 66% turned on this morning and it was still at 66%

Guest sjvega

Well, I've finally came to try this solution but it didn't work for me, maybe tomorrow I'll try again to completely charge, wipe the stats and discharge again.

Anyone has another solution? I'm not in a comfortable situation to try to turn it in for another one...

Edited by sjvega

• 2 months later...
Guest ursulavasey

I have a Vega as well, and I have the same problems as reported in this thread. I have tried various roms, taking care to charge and discharge the the battery correctly and wiping the battery stats as per the instructions. It seems to make no different. I like my Vega a lot, but this battery issue is becoming a bit of a bugbear for me. I get the occasional freeze now and then, but a reboot sorts out that problem in no time. The battery is my one fly in the ointment; the one thing I cannot seem to resolve.

Guest phil8715

I have a Vega as well, and I have the same problems as reported in this thread. I have tried various roms, taking care to charge and discharge the the battery correctly and wiping the battery stats as per the instructions. It seems to make no different. I like my Vega a lot, but this battery issue is becoming a bit of a bugbear for me. I get the occasional freeze now and then, but a reboot sorts out that problem in no time. The battery is my one fly in the ointment; the one thing I cannot seem to resolve.

I've reverted back to Stock 1.10 rom, without Clockworkmod I've rooted it and installed the market apk. Just to see how the battery performs and to see if it drops from 60% to 23% while powered off.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ursulavasey

Has anyone found a solution to this problem of apparently incorrect readings and battery drainage yet? The problem still persists, but no solution seems to have been found as yet.

Has anyone found a solution to the random battery readings? does anyone know what causes it?

Cheers Techno

I think there's a clue in the term 'battery stats'. The OS can only monitor the battery current at intervals, let's say 1000 times a second.But a1GHz processor's load can change a million times over that 1millisecond sample period. In fact, a lot of the hardware operates at speeds in excess of 1Khz, so while the screen illumination is a relatively slow changing load, everything else is quite fast. So, the monitoring software has to rely on a statistical technique to make a reasonable estimate of battery usage. As with all stats, unusually high or low data can skew the outcome. So, for example, if you spend a lot of time playing action games just after resetting battery stats, you may find your battery appears to drain quickly from then on. Resetting the stats causes battery usage to be reestimated.

The sudden drop in battery level that sometimes appears after switching off completely and switching back on is probably a software 'bug'. I can see two different ways this could happen, but since build 7 reports my battery in a way that gives me all day battery life, I'll not bore you further.

Edit: Actually the screen illumination power supply probably operates much faster than 1KHz.

Guest phil8715

I think there's a clue in the term 'battery stats'. The OS can only monitor the battery current at intervals, let's say 1000 times a second.But a1GHz processor's load can change a million times over that 1millisecond sample period. In fact, a lot of the hardware operates at speeds in excess of 1Khz, so while the screen illumination is a relatively slow changing load, everything else is quite fast. So, the monitoring software has to rely on a statistical technique to make a reasonable estimate of battery usage. As with all stats, unusually high or low data can skew the outcome. So, for example, if you spend a lot of time playing action games just after resetting battery stats, you may find your battery appears to drain quickly from then on. Resetting the stats causes battery usage to be reestimated.

The sudden drop in battery level that sometimes appears after switching off completely and switching back on is probably a software 'bug'. I can see two different ways this could happen, but since build 7 reports my battery in a way that gives me all day battery life, I'll not bore you further.

Edit: Actually the screen illumination power supply probably operates much faster than 1KHz.

If it's a software bug why has nobody at Advent even attempted to look into it?

I have used different roms all with the same result. So it doesn't matter whether you have the last VegaComb 3.2 build 7 or the Advent stock rom it still fails.

If it's a software bug why has nobody at Advent even attempted to look into it?

I have used different roms all with the same result. So it doesn't matter whether you have the last VegaComb 3.2 build 7 or the Advent stock rom it still fails.

My guess is that Advent considered it low priority. Besides, a proper fix requires a hardware change, and a completely different software technique.

UPDATE Using an app called 'current widget',I've just been checking how often the Vega actually checks the battery current. It doesn't! That means it estimates battery usage from what it thinks is going on. There are some implications to this, so I'll get back to you when I've done some more investigation.

Edited by lesd

I am not on vc..but on modaco r8 and have the same prob..

Using battery counters, system menu etc..all give the same result

Yesterday..actually refreshed from 60% down to 23% about 1min after boot..and was on 60% prior to me powering off night before

My guess is that Advent considered it low priority. Besides, a proper fix requires a hardware change, and a completely different software technique.

UPDATE Using an app called 'current widget',I've just been checking how often the Vega actually checks the battery current. It doesn't! That means it estimates battery usage from what it thinks is going on. There are some implications to this, so I'll get back to you when I've done some more investigation.

Using the Current Widget app, I have found that of all the ROMs I have, only Vegacomb 3.2 build 7 actually monitors battery current and voltage. The following ROMs do not:

Stock ROM 1.09

Stock ROM 1.10

Modded stock v1

Modded stock v2

Modaco R8

Corvus 5 + SP5

Cyanogenmod

So, if you have one of those ROMs you,ll need to reset battery stats regularly. If you have Vegacomb 3.2 build 7, then your battery level will be correctly reported.

You can check whether whether the battery curent and voltage is being monitored using the Current Widget app. Once installed, if it reports battery current as 0ma, the battery current is not being monitored.

BTW Well done to the devs for fixing the battery monitoring issue.

Edited by lesd

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Has anyone solved this issue yet, I am currently experiencing this on Vegacombe 8.1, all stats have been cleared, the battery discharges fine if I turn it off using 6 second method anything above 69% it always starts up with the same value even if I leave it a day or two, if I shut it down around 65% for example even if I start it up 20 minutes later it has lost 30%.

I was going to go back and try the original rom but it seems like people are having the same issues on that too.

It really is a pain.

it is due the heat of/in the accu.

when the accu becomes hot, by playing games or stuff, the electrons in the battery are "moving" faster then when it is cooled down. due this faster performance, the battery indicator believes that there isn't much changed (only like 5-10% over 20 min of surfing or playing), because the hot electrons are more effective.. but when it is all cooled down, you will see your battery going drasticly down when still turned on (say 1% each minute, wheter you play or not on the thing; own experience)... shutting it down will lead to a new reading of the cooled down battery, and that is why it drops sow hardly sometimes; the change of a warm accu to a cooled down accu.

Edited by duvee

it is due the heat of/in the accu.

when the accu becomes hot, by playing games or stuff, the electrons in the battery are "moving" faster then when it is cooled down. due this faster performance, the battery indicator believes that there isn't much changed (only like 5-10% over 20 min of surfing or playing), because the hot electrons are more effective.. but when it is all cooled down, you will see your battery going drasticly down when still turned on (say 1% each minute, wheter you play or not on the thing; own experience)... shutting it down will lead to a new reading of the cooled down battery, and that is why it drops sow hardly sometimes; the change of a warm accu to a cooled down accu.

Sorry, Duvee. I don't think I've understood your post correctly. A hot battery has a higher internal resistance, so if anything, the battery charge will be reported higher after it has cooled down.

If you install 'Current Widget' from the market, you can tell whether the battery is being monitored or not. If current widgrt reports a battery current of 0mA, the battery current is not being monitored by the software. In a previous post, I've listed those ROMs I've checked, and Vegacomb is the only ROM which actually monitors the battery properly. If you have Vegacomb 3.2 build 7 or later and the current is not reported properly, then it isn't installed properly.

Edited by lesd

Hi Guys,

Has anyone solved this issue yet, I am currently experiencing this on Vegacombe 8.1, all stats have been cleared, the battery discharges fine if I turn it off using 6 second method anything above 69% it always starts up with the same value even if I leave it a day or two, if I shut it down around 65% for example even if I start it up 20 minutes later it has lost 30%.

I was going to go back and try the original rom but it seems like people are having the same issues on that too.

It really is a pain.

In relation to the above going back to the Corvus5 2.2 rom seems to have sorted this for me, battery stays at correct percentage when turned off below 70% and turned on a day later, battery is correct even after a few minutes of running and starts to disperse normally.

Not sure why vegacombe is doing this as I don't think it uses the battery stats and is taking the battery level purely from voltage.