Best ROM. R8, or Corvus5?

Guest Stevonator

Guest Zebrahead
You do need to wipe it for it to work reliably but if you use titanium backup you can keep programs and settings. Nandroid backup with CWM has its advantages but also its disadvantages you cant pick and choose what to restore like to can with titanium.

Are you sure? I think the only thing you'd really need to wipe are the caches.

As long as you push the entire system folder provided by Corvus as well as the apps in /data/app, shouldn't you be able to keep your existing data partition (and SD card)? It' shouldn't cause any problems in theory as it's as if they had all be reinstalled?

Zeb

Guest Bobby Elliott
I would agree with most of the other posts. I changed a few days ago from R8 to Corvus5 and I much prefer it. Overclocking makes a really difference in performance. However, even without overclocking, it is faster, WiFI performance is much better than R8 and it seems a little more stable.

So far the only downside is shorter battery life (I guess cause by the overclocking) and the theme. I would be interest read any recommendations for a good themes.

How do you enable and change theme on Corvus?

Guest warriorscot
Are you sure? I think the only thing you'd really need to wipe are the caches.

I usually wipe everything but the SD card since I am restoring it all anyway or its easy to put back together again especially if you push apps from the online market rather than the device one. Otherwise I'm never sure if a problem comes up if its a remnant or something new.

On the Grid theme: Like the theme but I would prefer different colours or a choice of colours perhaps dark blue and red or blue and green rather than light blue and pink.

Edited by warriorscot

Guest Stevonator

Continuing on from Warriorscot, the Grid theme will only appeal to a certain audience there needs to be different colour options :mellow: Tell you what Newbe5 if you could upload alternate Themes we could use still keeping the original Grid design it would be downloaded like hot cakes! Personally the look of the theme now reminds of Tron and that's enough to make me happy :o

BTW, Tron Legacy was an epic film :D

Edit: And oh ye only one more day till my Vega! I remember when I had to wait weeks for it, but now it's only tomorrow!!!! So excited!!!

Edited by Stevonator

Guest premieral
Continuing on from Warriorscot, the Grid theme will only appeal to a certain audience there needs to be different colour options :o Tell you what Newbe5 if you could upload alternate Themes we could use still keeping the original Grid design it would be downloaded like hot cakes! Personally the look of the theme now reminds of Tron and that's enough to make me happy :D

Edit: And oh ye only one more day till my Vega! I remember when I had to wait weeks for it, but now it's only tomorrow!!!! So excited!!!

hope they dont sell out tonight :mellow:

Guest Stevonator
hope they dont sell out tonight :mellow:

I've just reserved it :D A new Vega and a shiny new case :o I just prey to God pay day is tomorrow lol. Quick question for everyone here. I get paid on the last working day of the month. So that would be Thursday wouldn't it. It wouldn't be Friday because no ones working and it's the Royal Wedding... Am I correct in thinking that lol :D ??

Guest premieral
I've just reserved it :o A new Vega and a shiny new case :mellow: I just prey to God pay day is tomorrow lol. Quick question for everyone here. I get paid on the last working day of the month. So that would be Thursday wouldn't it. It wouldn't be Friday because no ones working and it's the Royal Wedding... Am I correct in thinking that lol :D ??

hope so because im in the same boat :D

Guest Stevonator
hope so because im in the same boat :mellow:

lmao, I'll be checking my account balance at like half past 8 in the morning lol! I would be gutted if it's not in there !!!

Guest cupracing

I have switched back to R8, after a lot of time with Corvus I found it slightly unstable and didn't notice an increase from overclocking apart from the machine getting warmer. The machine seems happier on R8 IMO

Guest Stevonator

Unfortunately my very slow finance team didn't put my wages through until today! Which means I won't be getting my vega till tomorrow or maybe later ! I was gutted when i checked my bank account and saw a lonely 88p sitting there :mellow:

i got my vega yesterday and so far i've tried stock which was pretty lame,

r8 was better,

and now i'm on cm7, this has great potential but unfortunately does have some issues with performance! tablet tweaks is excellent and i have the honeybread tablet theme as well with vtl launcher.

I've downloaded corvus so will try that tonight but i think and imo, no offense if any of the devs are reading this but i'd prefer a more stock look or at least a black status bar, i'm not to keen on the theme! but i'm going to try it.

Guest Tony Williams
I have switched back to R8, after a lot of time with Corvus I found it slightly unstable and didn't notice an increase from overclocking apart from the machine getting warmer. The machine seems happier on R8 IMO

I agree, great Rom in terms of speed,animations etc but after a couple of days has stability issues for me. Angry birds seems to hang a lot more than on R8 and yahoo video calling either force closes or appears to work and gives no video at the remote end. Also multiple keypress issues - its taken me ages to type this! and that's without the charger connected.

Guest newbe5
Continuing on from Warriorscot, the Grid theme will only appeal to a certain audience there needs to be different colour options :mellow: Tell you what Newbe5 if you could upload alternate Themes we could use still keeping the original Grid design it would be downloaded like hot cakes! Personally the look of the theme now reminds of Tron and that's enough to make me happy :o

I have already thought about this, and I think it will be the next thing I release, a couple of alternate colour themes for GRID. thanks for the support!

newbe5

Edited by newbe5

Guest simonta
Hi,

Thursday is nearly here now, only three days untill I get my Vega! Can't wait!

So in everyone's opinions here. What is the best ROM to use? I've been drawn towards Corvus 5 due to the HoneyComb theme you can use with it. However I'm not sure whether R8 is more stable ...

What are the benefits of using either ROM and the disadvantages ?

Cheers :mellow:

Stevonator

Hi Stevonator. Been watching your posts with interest. Did you get your Vega? Already modded? Just ask if you need any help.

Cheers

Edited by simonta

Guest Stevonator
Hi Stevonator. Been watching your posts with interest. Did you get your Vega? Already modded? Just ask if you need any help.

Cheers

Hi Simonta,

Unfortunately the Finance team at where I work put my wages through on Thursday which means I can't buy the Vega till Saturday. I can guarantee though that as SOON as it's in my hands it will be modded :o

Thanks Simonta I will ask if I need help :mellow:

Guest Stevonator
I have already thought about this, and I think it will be the next thing I release, a couple of alternate colour themes for GRID. thanks for the support!

newbe5

Sorry about the double post ...

No probs newbe5 :D You've put a lot of effort into making the Vega worth buying, it's because of people like you I'm buying one ! :mellow: So thanks :o Ohh also just thought I'd say I've seen your YouTube videos !! There amazing ! It really gets the point across that just because the Vega is cheap and not Apple, it's still a very very good choice for a tablet.

When I get my Vega I will definately be contributing to the community more. I can't wait :D

Edited by Stevonator

Guest newbe5
I usually wipe everything but the SD card since I am restoring it all anyway or its easy to put back together again especially if you push apps from the online market rather than the device one. Otherwise I'm never sure if a problem comes up if its a remnant or something new.

On the Grid theme: Like the theme but I would prefer different colours or a choice of colours perhaps dark blue and red or blue and green rather than light blue and pink.

OK then, a few people have asked for this, and I am now back from holiday, so I figured I would try and whip something up for those of you that fancy a change!

BRAND NEW! Alternate colour schemes by popular demand!

Choose the GRID that suits you!

GRID Classic

GRID-ClassicStatusBar.png

GRID Red

GRID-RedStatusBar.png

GRID Orange

GRID-OrangeStatusBar.png

GRID White

GRID-WhiteStatusBar.png

The images above are mock-ups showing the colours, not an actual screenshot, so they might look a little low-res by comparison to the actual theme when you install it :o I have made a dark blue version, and a green one, but I am not quite happy with them yet, so I will release them once they look the way I would like :mellow: Hope this will do for now though!

newbe5

Edited by newbe5

• 2 months later...
Guest Sallu01

Hi All, I've just got my new vega and then I found this forum which I agree seems very friendly and helpful. I've been reading about the different ROMS for vega and looks like more people like corvus5, so i want to do corvus5 as well, but i am not very tech guy with these devices, so can anyone help me that where can i get the corvus5 rom with simple steps to install, im sure that someone will reply me soon as i can't wait to update my vega and start using it....B) , and one more question guys, does everything work fine in corvus5 like wireless, bluetooth and specially camera as i want to use my vega for video chat aswell.. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

Salman

Guest Jisonga

Corvus5 sp1 gets my vote as for me it was rock solid and because tilt sensor worked i could use my vega as a gaming machine.

Along with xbox pad support which meant emulators were taken up a notch over using touch screen.

And with it being rooted you could install, play and fiddle to your hearts content.

Just add opera browser and hackers keyboard along with honeycomb theme and its as good as any tablet rom combination out there mate.

Jason.