What is your reason for not going Gen2?

Guest JimJam707

Guest popoyaya
+1

Swedish Spring with darktremor's Apps2SD is (nearly) the perfect ROM for me. I will stay on Froyo until I get my next phone in 2-3 years.

Regards

Wolfgang

Shame you'll never know the power and Joy of Gingerbread & CM7 then.

I guess some people will always like to stay a step behind the rest of us. :mellow:

Guest Maz2011

My reasons for not going to Gen2 are that I'm not sure it will really give me the 850Mhz 3G data functionality that I want, also because I have no idea which method of upgrading will also release the extra memory available in the Blade, and also because I dont understand which partition setup to use, or why. This cache partition business is very confusing.

So for the moment I use CM7 N57 converted to Gen1.

Guest ShahinTehShiz
sure, was also scared as have no access to PC to unbrick when something goes wrong, but couldn't wait any longer :mellow:

simple steps?

1. download the TPT file ( http://filesonic.com/file/870828724/Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v3.zip )

2 download a GEN2 rom

2. unzip the contents of the TPT zip to SD card (should show a "images" folder on SD root)

3. power off, remove battery, place battery back in

4. hold vol + and menu, whilst holding them power on

5. Green text will show and it will boot into recovery (your now GEN2)

6. wipe, and install the GEN2 rom you picked

7. done

curl66 method is even quicker though..

Woah, wheres curl66 method? and is there a guide on what to do with your pc incase you brick the phone?

Thanks!

Guest IPB_Refugee
Shame you'll never know the power and Joy of Gingerbread & CM7 then.

I guess some people will always like to stay a step behind the rest of us. :mellow:

Oh, I did try CM 7 stable but I switched back to Swedish Spring (SS). :D

SS runs fast and smooth and I never experienced any real problem with it. USB Tethering works fine with SS, too. Battery life is about 3 full days.

Nonetheless I'm looking forward to the Android version of my next phone. Maybe Mighty Marshmallow. :o

Guest jeddy1
I've not updated as my Gen1 CM7.0.0 is solid as a rock. I'll update once all the Gen2 GPS and charging issues are fixed.

i dont understand what charging issues are u talking about but i dont think i have any!

if u are talking about status what u charge it from a charger if it says (AC) or (USB) thats ok btw

i´m GEN2 CM 7.0.2 RoCkS....!!

Guest targetbsp
i dont understand what charging issues are u talking about but i dont think i have any!

if u are talking about status what u charge it from a charger if it says (AC) or (USB) thats ok btw

i´m GEN2 CM 7.0.2 RoCkS....!!

Recent versions of CM have a chance of crashing the phone whilst charging. It seems to vary from person to person how high that chance is. I had it 3 times in 2 weeks, which considering how often I connect it to usb on my computer isn't too bad. Others say it happens pretty much most of the time.

It's actually the most tracked current Blade specific bug on CM7's bug tracker.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Phoenix Silver

i use SS4b and gen1 and it works perfectly

i'll go with CM7 when the bugs will be fixed

i can't afford a buggy phone because i use it for work

Guest Scoopading

I'm still on CM7 Gen 1 Nightly 25 and I've been happy with it. Performance is good and there's no major issues that I've noticed over the many weeks I've been using it. I've been keeping an eye out for any new kernel fixes that I consider worthwhile upgrading to newer nightlies for, but there's been nothing yet. If anything there seem to be some new issues that mean I feel like I'm better off staying where I am.

If current Gen 2 problems manage to get solved, and there's some additional worthwhile enhancements (like FM radio or accelerometer improvements etc) I'm sure I'll upgrade to Gen2. But, until there's something more, there's no real reason for me to move past N25 since I'm relatively happy with it. Hopefully I'm wrong, but unfortunately it looks like it'll take ZTE releasing an actual 2.3 based device (where the Blade can hopefully make use of its kernel/libraries on CM7 without major issues) before there's significant progress. Maybe then the move to Gen2 will make more sense, since I guess most Blade owners (at least in places like the UK) don't actually care about the Gen2 specific things like the extra frequency band.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Other (Please State in a Post)

Because Gen 2 is only needed for CM7.0.2. I have tried it and it's fun but not stable. SS RLS5 is excellent. And if someone could point out what 2.3 Gingerbread can do that 2.2 Froyo can't I would love to know. I have posted the very same question on the Cyanogen forums, not a single response.

Better synthetic benchmarks are no good if the ROM crashes whilst charging.

Anil.

Guest k0zmic

Because Gen 2 is only needed for CM7.0.2. I have tried it and it's fun but not stable. SS RLS5 is excellent. And if someone could point out what 2.3 Gingerbread can do that 2.2 Froyo can't I would love to know. I have posted the very same question on the Cyanogen forums, not a single response.

Anil.

Mainly the interface, it feels smoother and generally faster, it has all the Cyanogen 'Tweakability' and better Copy and Paste.

Guest targetbsp
Mainly the interface, it feels smoother and generally faster, it has all the Cyanogen 'Tweakability' and better Copy and Paste.

And missed call/text notification led whilst the phone is asleep. :mellow:

It's not just synthetic benchmarks that are faster. Compare a complex Angry Birds level between Froyo and Cm7...

Mind you, as I stated earlier I'm still using an old CM7 with no charging issue - in fact, no issues at all for what I use the phone for. So I get all of the above benefits and no downsides. :o

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Taptap1

Some issues I heard and no need of the hardware advantages. Only that I couldn't install new CM7 nightlies, but Kalt Kafee solved this problem (Thanks a lot).

Guest Len Ash
I don't quite know the benefits of moving to GEN 2. :mellow:

Other than using the experimental CM7, there are none known. See Rotmann's recent post about Gen 1 v Gen 2

Guest Fou-lu
Other than using the experimental CM7, there are none known. See Rotmann's recent post about Gen 1 v Gen 2

using latest clockwork version and rom manager without problems?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bonuxs

Anil.

+1

Guest Tony Sidaway

I voted "Other" because I've tried the GEN1->GEN2 TPT install of CyanogenMod but the result was not stable. I converted back to GEN1 and I'm running OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10.

Something is really screwy about my phone, it only seems to be able to run Orange's firmware with any degree of stability.

Guest solidslash

Apparently my SD card doesn't play nice with the TPT method (tried reformatting) and I don't have any spare one to try. It simply boots up the system regardless of keeping menu and vol+ buttons pressed. The image folder is obviously present.

And I'm actually enjoying the old good FLB. :P

Guest Liesse

I don't see any benefit to moving yet. I'm very happy with LanceH's SS remix Phat with its gingerbead theme and circle battery mod - gave me everything I want in one package and I've never had any problems.

The threads on converting to Gen 2 still remain quite confusing for us newbies, though they are slowly getting better.

But until cm7 is a bit more bug-free, I don't see any benefit to upgrading.