[Guide] Flashing firmware to Blade/Libra via windows

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Guest Larhleolynx

Can anyone confirm that wbaw v4 does indeed add GSM and UMTS 850Mhz support, and is there a possibility of adding further frequencies? I'm looking for 2100Mhz on both GSM and UMTS

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Can anyone confirm that wbaw v4 does indeed add GSM and UMTS 850Mhz support, and is there a possibility of adding further frequencies? I'm looking for 2100Mhz on both GSM and UMTS

This has been discussed to death, but the conclusion seems to be that most people do not get HSUPA with Gen2 (including me), although some people are sure that they do. I don't know if anyone has tested 850Mhz.

As for your needs however, all blades support 2100Mhz UMTS (My network uses it), so that wont be a problem. I don't think 2100Mhz GSM exists - make sure you are not getting confused. most providers of 2100Mhz UMTS provide a fallback GSM network on a different frequency

Guest Larhleolynx

I'm sorry you're correct. The tech on the phone told me that their 3G service was off GSM 2100Mhz, but Wikipedia says differently.

GSM/GPRS/EDGE on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 2G GSM, or 2.5G in the case of EDGE)

UMTS/HSPA on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 3G GSM)

Those are the numbers I have to work with where I live. What is strange however, is the fact that my friend, in England came here to visit. In Toronto he was getting 4 bars of reception(with a ZTE Blade), he didn't think to check if it was 2G or 3G service however. While here where I live, I get no reception to 1 bar if I cup the phone like a satellite dish and point it directly at the cell tower, which is maybe 1.5km away at most. At the base of the tower I get 3 bars. Something is wacky, I'd just like to use this phone.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
I'm sorry you're correct. The tech on the phone told me that their 3G service was off GSM 2100Mhz, but Wikipedia says differently.

GSM/GPRS/EDGE on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 2G GSM, or 2.5G in the case of EDGE)

UMTS/HSPA on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 3G GSM)

Those are the numbers I have to work with where I live. What is strange however, is the fact that my friend, in England came here to visit. In Toronto he was getting 4 bars of reception(with a ZTE Blade), he didn't think to check if it was 2G or 3G service however. While here where I live, I get no reception to 1 bar if I cup the phone like a satellite dish and point it directly at the cell tower, which is maybe 1.5km away at most. At the base of the tower I get 3 bars. Something is wacky, I'd just like to use this phone.

It's hard to draw conclusions from bars, especially if you don't even know whether its for 2g/3g. Make judgments based on reception dropouts and data speed tests.

Blade's generally support the following (definitely UK blades)

GSM: 900/1800/1900Mhz

UMTS: 900/2100Mhz

Based on the above, you should be able to get 2g reception on the 1900Mhz band.

If you can get 3g reception and you are sure that your information about your network is correct, then the Gen2 upgrade must have unlocked either 850Mhz UMTS or 1900Mhz UMTS, and you would not have had 3g reception on Gen2 firmware. If that is the case, then we want to know!

Bear in mind that many network providers who offer 2 bands offer only one of them in any given area (eg 1900Mhz for urban areas and 850Mhz for rural areas).

I take it you are in america? what provider are you with, and what country/provider did your blade come from?

Guest jasonXXx
Updated first post with wbaw's v5 Gen2 TPT files. This increases the system partition to 160MB.

Any chance of a 128 system stock cache and rest on data?

Guest jasonXXx
I have no idea why you would want to do that, but I feel generous today: UNTESTED Blade Gen2 Firmware with 128MB system, 37.5MB cache, no OEM. I have not tested it, but ti should work the same as a stock Gen2 image. (so no TPT/fastboot).

Thanks for fast replay is it not possable for tpt and fastboot with the sizes asked for? My system is only 110mb so 128mb for updates etc is more than adequate. I have been having problems with market with the 2mb cache im running a modified SSRLS5 the userint is supposed to redirect the cache but it does not work in my case so im using a modified init.qcom.post_boot to do the trick i dont like doing it this way and i dont need all the extra data space hense asking for a stock cache partition but i would still like to use fastboot and have the ability for tpt. Any suggestions thanks.

Note

orange san francisco white TFT

GEN1 updated to GEN2 via wbaw’s Gen2 v4

Swedish Spring RLS5 with 50% AHB bus overclocking

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Thanks for fast replay is it not possable for tpt and fastboot with the sizes asked for? My system is only 110mb so 128mb for updates etc is more than adequate. I have been having problems with market with the 2mb cache im running a modified SSRLS5 the userint is supposed to redirect the cache but it does not work in my case so im using a modified init.qcom.post_boot to do the trick i dont like doing it this way and i dont need all the extra data space hense asking for a stock cache partition but i would still like to use fastboot and have the ability for tpt. Any suggestions thanks.

Note

orange san francisco white TFT

GEN1 updated to GEN2 via wbaw’s Gen2 v4

Swedish Spring RLS5 with 50% AHB bus overclocking

Because that would require editing the firmware files, which I am not experienced with. If you would like to investigate how to repartition by editing mbn files, you can do it yourself. wbaw's TPT thread has a few alternative layouts, someone may be able to help you out there.

Guest jasonXXx
Because that would require editing the firmware files, which I am not experienced with. If you would like to investigate how to repartition by editing mbn files, you can do it yourself. wbaw's TPT thread has a few alternative layouts, someone may be able to help you out there.

Ok thanks. I did try to mod the wbaw’s Gen2 v4 files with a windows tool to change the partition layout and that worked fine but i lost the fastboot mode.

Guest Kuresz

I've got a GEN2 blade, i upgraded it last week with the official T-Mobile 2.2 update. But its partition share is "not good" So when i get it clearly, i can use this (i want wbaw's gen 2 v5) without a problem, then i just have to flash a recovery (clockwork) and then the costum rom, and thats all?

Guest hedgepigdaniel
I've got a GEN2 blade, i upgraded it last week with the official T-Mobile 2.2 update. But its partition share is "not good" So when i get it clearly, i can use this (i want wbaw's gen 2 v5) without a problem, then i just have to flash a recovery (clockwork) and then the costum rom, and thats all?

yes

Guest Larhleolynx
It's hard to draw conclusions from bars, especially if you don't even know whether its for 2g/3g. Make judgments based on reception dropouts and data speed tests.

Blade's generally support the following (definitely UK blades)

GSM: 900/1800/1900Mhz

UMTS: 900/2100Mhz

Based on the above, you should be able to get 2g reception on the 1900Mhz band.

If you can get 3g reception and you are sure that your information about your network is correct, then the Gen2 upgrade must have unlocked either 850Mhz UMTS or 1900Mhz UMTS, and you would not have had 3g reception on Gen2 firmware. If that is the case, then we want to know!

Bear in mind that many network providers who offer 2 bands offer only one of them in any given area (eg 1900Mhz for urban areas and 850Mhz for rural areas).

I take it you are in america? what provider are you with, and what country/provider did your blade come from?

The blade came from Orange in the UK, and I'm in Canada.

Guest AlexG1990

I need a zte x850/racer, tpt image folder excluding partition.mbn and partition_zte.mbn, a system.img would be greatly appreciated or some help compiling one, thanks

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Updated guide with warnings against flashing Chinese blades, as they are bricked by the process, as per the experience of nzkiller (possibly because they only have 256MB RAM in hardware). Reposted the links for wbaw's firmwares.

Guest anshmiester78900

Updated guide with warnings against flashing Chinese blades, as they are bricked by the process, as per th phone doesthe india version of blade can be unlocked to 512mb ram .? Also can it be roots n custom roms be installed .?

Guest hedgepigdaniel

does the india version of blade can be unlocked to 512mb ram .? Also can it be roots n custom roms be installed .?

I'm sure it can be rooted and that you can install a custom ROM, just find the relevant guides. As for compatibility with this firmware (and unlocking RAM), I don't know. You are welcome to try, at your own risk. Be aware that if you flash incompatible firmware, we do not have the dell stock firmware, so you will not be able to flash it back.

Guest wbaw
does the india version of blade can be unlocked to 512mb ram .? Also can it be roots n custom roms be installed .?

I'm sure it can be rooted and that you can install a custom ROM, just find the relevant guides. As for compatibility with this firmware (and unlocking RAM), I don't know. You are welcome to try, at your own risk. Be aware that if you flash incompatible firmware, we do not have the dell stock firmware, so you will not be able to flash it back.

It looks like the greek blades can be unlocked to 512mb, but the chinese ones can't, no idea about the Indian ones, I thought they were sold with 512mb ram.

If it doesn't work, then it'll bootloop. it might be fixable by flashing the appsboot.mbn (also appsboothd.mbn & partition_zte.mbn) from the greek or chinese firmware.

You should be able to root an indian blade using kallt's version of z4root & then install clockworkmod (using rom manager from the market), then you can install any gen2 rom on an indian blade using clockworkmod, without risking bricking it.

Edited by wbaw

Guest baddogshuck

Fantastic! I had upgraded my UK Blade to Gen2 using the old windows method, but by following the first post I got it back to Gen1 without losing the IMEI. Much thanks!

Now to try Gen2 via TPT :P

Guest Bobby Newmark

Hi,

I've got a Gen1 San Francisco (Orange PL) with Cyanogen 7.0 here, and I can't use TPT (it doesn't go to TPT flashing :D ).

I think about using wbaw’s Gen2 v5 to move to Gen2 and Cyanogen nigthlies. Would this method be ok?

I've got a few questions before I proceed:

- How to reflash restore_stock_recovery.zip using Clockwork Mod? Which option to choose? I'm completely green here :D

- How to verify the IMEI after the upgrade?

- Do I need any additional drivers for Windows?

Cheers

Guest Bobby Newmark
- How to reflash restore_stock_recovery.zip using Clockwork Mod? Which option to choose? I'm completely green here :D

- How to verify the IMEI after the upgrade?

- Do I need any additional drivers for Windows?

Answers to the above questions:

- Use reflash zip / choose zip file

- IMEI is fine

- Windows 7 has all the necessary drivers.

To flash Orange PL San Francisco I used:

restore_stock_recovery.zip

recovery-clockwork-3.2.0-blade-gen2-update_signed.zip (newer than the one linked in first post)

wbaw's Gen2 v5

A custom-built nightly of Cyanogen 7.1A (N86?)

The update was a breeze. Everything worked as intended. Many thanks guys!