[Guide] Flashing firmware to Blade/Libra via windows

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Hi,

how can I be absolutely sure that my Blade is the european version. I mean, I did buy it in europe (Iceland) but I have no idea where they got it from, is there a way to find out?

I'm running the stock firmware but I have rooted, flashed clockworkmod and another rom.

When I go into Settings > Applications > Running Services and combine used ram and free ram I get 400mb, does that mean it's not a chinese Blade? Oh, and it's gen2.

If I perform "df -h" in terminal emulator I get /sys = 220.0M, /dat = 162.5M and /cac = 42.0M. That seems to be the same as the stock gen2 firmware package in the first post, except for the cache partition.

Thanks in advance, Arnar.

If it reports 400MB then its definitely a 512MB RAM version (Chinese ones will report less than 256MB). That and the fact that you got it in Iceland means its almost certainly a typical European version and is compatible with all this stuff.

Guest ThePain

Hi All,

I have this problem with my Gen2 ZTE Blade

(Dell XCD35 - India). There are times when the

phone will simply refuse to boot up and remain

stuck on the boot screen. This happens after

the phone reboots itself for any reason or i shut

down the phone and restart it.

When this happens, I usually have to pull out

the battery, boot into CW Recovery and restore

my latest nandroid backup to get back and

running again. This is really tiring as i lose all

my apps and messages etc since last backup.

I have tried various custom ROMs and the

occurs with all of them. Having finally found a

ROM i love, I want know whether using the

Gen2 stock TPT (non windows version ) link posted on the first page of this

thread will repartition my device and get it to

behave normally?

Appreciate any advice that you can give me.

Thanks.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Hi All,

I have this problem with my Gen2 ZTE Blade

(Dell XCD35 - India). There are times when the

phone will simply refuse to boot up and remain

stuck on the boot screen. This happens after

the phone reboots itself for any reason or i shut

down the phone and restart it.

When this happens, I usually have to pull out

the battery, boot into CW Recovery and restore

my latest nandroid backup to get back and

running again. This is really tiring as i lose all

my apps and messages etc since last backup.

I have tried various custom ROMs and the

occurs with all of them. Having finally found a

ROM i love, I want know whether using the

Gen2 stock TPT (non windows version ) link posted on the first page of this

thread will repartition my device and get it to

behave normally?

Appreciate any advice that you can give me.

Thanks.

It sounds to me like there is something you are doing (or an app of yours is doing) that is preventing android from booting. If a nandroid backup fixes it, then its unlikely to caused by lower level firmware, which is what TPT or windows flashing can change. Next time it happens, try booting in safe mode (hold down menu key while booting until you see the home screen.

You are welcome to try - I'd suggest doing it via windows since that does a more comprehensive flash.

Also, I'd suggest a new thread if you want to follow this up.

If it reports 400MB then its definitely a 512MB RAM version (Chinese ones will report less than 256MB). That and the fact that you got it in Iceland means its almost certainly a typical European version and is compatible with all this stuff.

Thanks! One question, why is the cache partition so small in custom gen2 firmware packages?

Guest hecatae

so If you flash this you will still get offered any updates from your provider?

Far as i can tell its same firmware as sim free libra so updates cannot be delayed by networks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hedgepigdaniel

Will installing new firmware as explained in this guide give me the TPT option back?

yes, provided you flash appropriate firmware. The Gen1-Gen2 upgrade TPTs are the Gen1 type.

Guest Amphoras

hedgepigdaniel, is it possible to flash only certain files using this method? For example if you just wanted to flash 1 file could you just delete the rest from the folder and it would just do that file, or would this cause problems?

Guest hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel, is it possible to flash only certain files using this method? For example if you just wanted to flash 1 file could you just delete the rest from the folder and it would just do that file, or would this cause problems?

I don't know. But I can tell you that every single carrier update I've seen has included all the .mbn files. I'm pretty sure its fine to exclude any of the .img files apart from recovery.img (which is necessary to restore the NV memory). What are you trying to do?

Guest Amphoras

I don't know. But I can tell you that every single carrier update I've seen has included all the .mbn files. I'm pretty sure its fine to exclude any of the .img files apart from recovery.img (which is necessary to restore the NV memory). What are you trying to do?

cefs.mbn unlocked the Skate, but it seemed to be exactly the same file as for the Blade. We don't have all the other files for the San Francisco II yet, so was wondering if its safe to just flash that cefs.mbn and see if it unlocks it.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

cefs.mbn unlocked the Skate, but it seemed to be exactly the same file as for the Blade. We don't have all the other files for the San Francisco II yet, so was wondering if its safe to just flash that cefs.mbn and see if it unlocks it.

interesting. I'd be wary about doing it this way to be honest. Have you had a look at qpst and qxdm? all cefs.mbn contains is a default configuration of NV memory items, as far as I know. Maybe if you dump the NV memory with a locked and unlocked skate you will be able to isolate the ones that unlock it? I guess that doesn't leave you with an easy procedure to follow. good luck anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest koushalvikas

Flashing firmware to ZTE Blade/Libra via windows

This guide is useful for flashing firmware to European GSM Blades where TPT is not available. TPT is not able to downgrade a phone with factory Gen2 firmware to Gen1 or to upgrade a factory gen1 phone to Gen3 or factory Gen2, so for these tasks you need to follow this guide. It is possible to flash any firmware to any Blade with this guide if you so desire (but do observe the warnings). This is not the same as flashing a ROM (Gen1|Gen2). If you are unsure about which Gen firmware your blade has, ask Mr PigFish. This method requires a Windows PC.

There is an easier way - TPT!

For most applications, it is possible to flash firmware via TPT. TPT is easier, faster, and safer than windows flashing, and does not require windows. Try these threads for TPT instructions first, then use this guide if they can't help you.

• Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade: TPTs to flash from Gen1 to Gen2, and from Gen2 to Gen1 if you upgraded to Gen2 with TPT. A number of different partition layouts are available, and fastboot is enabled. This is the easiest way to upgrade from Gen1 to Gen2.
  • Gen2/3 TPTs: TPTs to repartition and enable fastboot on stock Gen2 Blades, and to go between Gen2 and Gen3.

Advantages of modified firmware
    Windows upgraded/stock Gen2 Blades have a wasteful partition layout, no fastboot mode, and are incapable of flashing Gen1 compatible TPT images. Some are sold with 256MB of RAM hidden by software. Depending on which files you flash, you can:
    • Change the partition layout to something more optimal, and therefore have more space on the data partition for your apps (315MB instead of 162MB), as well as 15MB more space overall.
    • Enable fastboot mode. Fastboot can be useful for recovery if you make a mistake flashing ROMs and cannot boot your phone.
    • Add the ability to flash Gen1 compatible TPT images.
    • If your Blade was sold with 256MB of RAM and it has 512MB in hardware, then this process will unlock the full 512MB or RAM (all known European blades do have 512MB in hardware, but Chinese ones apparently don't, and these files will brick them!).
    • Downgrade to Gen1. Optional, and not useful for most people.
    • Upgrade to Gen3. Also not useful for most people since most ROMs require Gen2.
    • If you flash stock firmware compatible with your phone form this thread, you can restore your phone to its factory state. I don’t believe this is ever necessary.
      Warnings
      The following process should be safe if you follow it carefully, but care should be taken to avoid bricking your phone. I cannot guarantee that it will work on all blades, and you must be aware that there is some risk of bricking
      • Do not use this guide for Chinese Blades or CDMA Blades (v880, x880, u880, n880) as they are not compatible with these firmware packages.
      • This process will wipe all your internal memory - data, apps, ROM, etc, but not your SD card.
      • Nandroid backups can be restored after flashing, but only if their contents fit on the new partition layout and they correspond to the same Gen. If unsure, don’t rely on it. Backup all your data before flashing.
      • Do not mix and match files from different firmware packages. Some combinations will cause a permanent brick.
      • Do not use any firmware files from outside this post (e.g. other TPT files) with this method. Using these can result in a corrupt IMEI.
      • If you are trying to unlock extra RAM on your 256MB Blade, be aware that although all European GSM Blades I know about can be unlocked, your Blade might be the first one that can’t. If it can’t, you may end up with a brick.
        Downloads
        Before you begin, download these three files to your Blade’s SD card:

• restore_stock_recovery.zip (md5:F7D1EA48A334E86A468A66B00A833E9A): This restores the stock recovery image if you have replaced it with clockworkmod. Stock recovery is necessary for the flashing process.
        • recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-blade-gen2-update_signed.zip (md5:17fbb1b404b4d6780fb799583ba90708): this re-flashes clockworkmod after the upgrade process so you can install a ROM. If you want to flash Gen1 firmware, you must use recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.5-blade-gen1-update_signed.zip (md5:3e8b9cd53c85697f8b9dd14643e896fa) instead. your current installation of clockworkmod will be overwritten in the flashing process.
        • A ROM to install from clockworkmod after flashing the firmware, so that you have a working phone. If you are unsure, use Swedish Spring, as it is compatible with Gen1 and Gen2.
          Next, download one of the firmware packages from below and extract it to a folder on your computer. If want to use Gen2 ROMs, pick the first one, unless you have a good reason not to. All packages below will unlock hidden RAM.

Firmware packages

(md5:eb3d73e71b7846e7b425acc8c2981bf1)
          (Recommended)
          • Gen2 radio and memory layout
          • Partition layout: 2MB cache, 160 MB system, 294MB data
          • Fastboot enabled
          • Compatible with Gen1 TPTs
          • This partition layout is the most efficient for CM7 and most custom ROMs. 140MB is not quite enough for the latest releases.

(md5:4630F7165EE331FD2EBFC2679D3AAAC1)
            • Partition layout: 2MB cache, 140 MB system, 314MB data
            • Fastboot enabled
            • If you flash this to a Gen2 Blade with a 136MB partition layout from the old windows flasher, you will be able to restore your nandroid backup afterwards (both firmwares are Gen2 and the system and data partition are both bigger)

(md5:85D7B01156C2E713FA927C78D2C39D53)
              • Stock Gen2 Partition layout: 37.5MB cache, 220MB system, 162.5MB data.
              • Fastboot disabled
              • Compatible with Gen2 TPTs (image.bin)

(md5:3f3cc4b6b45fac19bdcbe3bd8b380445)
                • Gen3 radio and Gen2/Gen3 memory layout
                • Stock Gen3 Partition layout: 200MB system, 162MB Data, 57MB cache
                • Fastboot probably disabled

(md5:12F238321EDA5B5CB2F4569E1FD3C08B)
                  • Partition layout: 2MB cache, 136MB system, 303MB data.
                  • Fastboot disabled

(md5:27917857EFA40ADCECDD1B7793263229)
                    • Gen1 radio and memory layout
                    • Stock Gen1 partition Layout: 41MB cache, 207.5MB system, 208MB data
                    • Fastboot enabled

(md5:64EEE62012A78231C9F5ECD475D72C84)
                      • Partition Layout: 41MB cache, 128MB system, 287.5MB data
                      • Fastboot enabled

How to Flash

[*]If you intend to keep your ROM/Data, make a nandroid backup. Be aware that depending on which firmware you go from/to, it may not fit on your new partition layout and/or your ROM may not be compatible with your new memory layout.[*]Make sure you have saved the three files above to your SD card. The version (gen1/gen2) of clockworkmod and your new ROM should match the Gen you are flashing to. Make sure your Blade has plenty of battery.[*]Boot your phone into recovery mode by turning it on with volume down held. If the words FTM appear on the screen, go to the next step. If you find yourself in clockworkmod or AmonRa, flash restore_stock_recovery.zip and reboot with volume down held. The words FTM should now appear on the screen. Note that you have now removed clockworkmod - you can restore it after flashing.[*]Connect your phone to your PC via USB.[*]Unzip the contents of the firmware package you want to flash. Start the program called “download.exe” in the root folder. When the flasher window comes up, press the start button. If the start button is not clickable, use “driverinstaller.exe” to install ZTE drivers and make sure your phone is connected and in FTM mode.[*]Wait a few minutes for your phone to be flashed. The screen will turn black for a while. Do not interrupt this process. A message will inform you when flashing is complete.[*]Disconnect your phone and remove the battery. Reinsert the battery and turn on the phone (normally, with no buttons pressed). Your phone should boot into clockworkmod recovery.[*]IMPORTANT: clockworkmod is now installed to your phone’s boot partition. This means that if you install a ROM at this point you will overwrite clockworkmod. You must now flash the correct version of clockworkmod (recovery-clockwork 4.0.0.5-blade-genX-update_signed.zip) from your SD card. This will install clockworkmod to the recovery partition where it belongs.[*]Restart your phone with volume down held. It should boot into clockworkmod. If it boots into FTM mode or does not progress pass the green android, go back to step 7 and make sure you flashed the correct version of clockworkmod.[*]In clockworkmod, install the ROM you downloaded previously or restore your nandroid backup. Reboot and enjoy your new firmware. If you flashed a TPT compatible firmware, then use TPT if you ever want to repartition again.

Troubleshooting

If the flasher fails at 98% and your phone will only boot into FTM mode, or if your IMEI is lost in the process for any reason, then it can usually be fixed. The problem is that the flasher failed to restore NV memory after flashing your phone. Save "channel1.nvm" from the folder that you ran the flasher from (this file contains your IMEI and NV memory) and follow the instructions in this thread to restore it to your phone. If you already have that file then you can just restore it straight away without any hex editing or firmware flashing. This will make it boot properly and with the correct IMEI.

How this works

All the packages above contain the Gen2 flasher patched by mrradmir. They each contain a set of the usual .mbn firmware files in the files folder. The lost IMEI problem is avoided because the recovery.img in the firmware folders contains the appropriate stock recovery image rather than clockworkmod. The flasher automatically boots the phone into FTM mode near the end of the flashing process and restores the IMEI if necessary, with no user intervention. Clockworkmod is initially installed to the boot partition instead. All packages also contain blank system and userdata images to prevent problems caused by corrupt data after repartitioning, as well as a standard splash image, which is required if it is moved by a new partition layout. Thanks to The Soup Thief, hecatae, wbaw, mrradmir, and others for contributing to all this.

Changelog

2011-10-22

[*]Added links to newly posted Gen2 style TPTs from Amphoras, revised recommendations as to when to follow this guide accordingly.

2011-10-14

[*]Updated custom partition layout from v7 to v9 (no major changes)[*]Changed TPT upgrade links to point to xda since the modaco post was removed[*]Added stock Gen3 firmware package

2011-06-22

[*]Updated custom partition layouts from v4/v5 to v7/v7b, and updated the clockworkmod on boot to 4.0.0.5

2011-06-21

[*]Updated links to point to clockworkmod 4.0.0.5

2011-06-20

[*]Removed references to 850Mhz GSM and HSUPA. I give up.[*]Added a troubleshooting section with instructions to follow if NV memory fails to restore, since people seem to be having this issue

2011-06-17

[*]Renamed wbaw's firmwares to "custom" by wbaw's request. wbaw does not wish to receive queries from this guide, and does not use windows.[*]Added a warning against flashing CDMA blades. My intuition tells me it would be a bad idea.

2011-05-23

[*]re-added wbaw's firmware's, having found the problem[*]Added a warning not to flash any of these files to Chinese blades, as they lead to a bootloop/brick.

2011-05-16

[*]Added wbaw's Gen2 v5 - re added cefs.mbn (because I haven't tested without it and it does not cause a problem with this method)

2011-04-09

[*]Initial post

i done this procedure on my dell xcd35 now it shows only clock work mode

and it start show android logo the zte not dell how to revive

Guest hedgepigdaniel

i done this procedure on my dell xcd35 now it shows only clock work mode

and it start show android logo the zte not dell how to revive

well what did you want to happen? as the first post sais, you need to flash a ROM after the procedure, otherwise you'll only have clockwork. As for finding the dell logo, use the search - there was a thread about it a few months ago.

Guest yadayada

@hedgepigdaniel:

A question regarding the stock recovery.

Currently I have a stock gen2 phone, updated with my operator official windows flasher, followed by an update using the online zte tool (the same 2.2.2 android but newer build date).

I'm considering installing clockwork to install CM, but I would like to be able to restore the phone back to full stock if necessary.

Might need to use the warranty, or simply to install an official gen3 rom from my operator (if they decide to release it).

I'm considering the following steps:

- Install clockwork

- Do a backup (of current rom) from CW

- Install other roms

If I need to restore phone:

-Boot to CW

-Restore backup (currently i'm no thinking of changing the default partitions)

-Boot to backup, check if it is all working

-Boot to CW and apply restore_stock_recovery.zip with a "twist"

The "twist" is the following, I have the recovery.img from the zte online update tool, can I replace the recovery-gen2.img in the zip with the one that I have?

Keeping the same file name, so that the script can work.

I only need to resign the zip? (I have to google this one, but I saw a couple of sha1 values in META-INF for the recovery files.. so it should not work without it)

Best regards!

Guest hedgepigdaniel

@hedgepigdaniel:

A question regarding the stock recovery.

Currently I have a stock gen2 phone, updated with my operator official windows flasher, followed by an update using the online zte tool (the same 2.2.2 android but newer build date).

I'm considering installing clockwork to install CM, but I would like to be able to restore the phone back to full stock if necessary.

Might need to use the warranty, or simply to install an official gen3 rom from my operator (if they decide to release it).

I'm considering the following steps:

- Install clockwork

- Do a backup (of current rom) from CW

- Install other roms

If I need to restore phone:

-Boot to CW

-Restore backup (currently i'm no thinking of changing the default partitions)

-Boot to backup, check if it is all working

-Boot to CW and apply restore_stock_recovery.zip with a "twist"

The "twist" is the following, I have the recovery.img from the zte online update tool, can I replace the recovery-gen2.img in the zip with the one that I have?

Keeping the same file name, so that the script can work.

I only need to resign the zip? (I have to google this one, but I saw a couple of sha1 values in META-INF for the recovery files.. so it should not work without it)

Best regards!

That all sounds like a good plan to me - it should leave your phone exactly as it was originally. You won't need to sign the recovery.zip - clockwork will flash it without a problem.

Guest yadayada

That all sounds like a good plan to me - it should leave your phone exactly as it was originally. You won't need to sign the recovery.zip - clockwork will flash it without a problem.

I must be doing some stupid error... i'm unable to boot to clockworkmod.

If I start the phone with power + volume down.. it goes to FTM (white square).

I flashed, or I think it did, ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0 with Rom Manager, and I was able to go to CMW if I select it from Rom Manager. (although I saw 2 warning messages, something related to images or icons)

It says that Current Recovery: ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0

Do I have to do a different key combination?

[edit]

the errors on CWM:

E: Missing bitmap icon_firmware_install (Code -1)

E: Missing bitmap icon_firmware_error (Code -1)

Edited by yadayada

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I must be doing some stupid error... i'm unable to boot to clockworkmod.

If I start the phone with power + volume down.. it goes to FTM (white square).

I flashed, or I think it did, ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0 with Rom Manager, and I was able to go to CMW if I select it from Rom Manager. (although I saw 2 warning messages, something related to images or icons)

It says that Current Recovery: ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0

Do I have to do a different key combination?

[edit]

the errors on CWM:

E: Missing bitmap icon_firmware_install (Code -1)

E: Missing bitmap icon_firmware_error (Code -1)

you can actually boot into clockworkmod if you do it from ROM manager, but volume down takes you to FTM? that's weird...

make sure you are rooted correctly and stuff, try flashing clockworkmod again. clockworkmod should overwrite FTM, so if you get FTM it probably hasn't flashed correctly.

Guest yadayada

you can actually boot into clockworkmod if you do it from ROM manager, but volume down takes you to FTM? that's weird...

make sure you are rooted correctly and stuff, try flashing clockworkmod again. clockworkmod should overwrite FTM, so if you get FTM it probably hasn't flashed correctly.

Yeap that's correct. Via Rom Manager I have access to CWM, Power + Vol Down goes to FTM.

Initially I only had a temporarily root, now I've tried permanent root, but the result is the same (i tried reflashing cwm, it says it is correctly flashed, but can't access via button combination.

Procedure used:

modified z4root, for rooting

rom manager to install CWM

Do you recommend any other method to flash CWM?

[edit]

Although I can access CWM through rom manager... the two image errors... might be a sign of something.

Where is CMW saved? recovery partition? and before being "saved" in to recovery, where does rom manager stores it?

Could it be some space issue during the intermediate steps of flashing CMW?

[edit2]

Problem solved.

Download the .img from http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/ and flashed using the latest Recovery Manager (0.37b).

Don't know why it didn't work with Rom Manager.

Edited by yadayada

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Parjanya

Flashing firmware to ZTE Blade/Libra via windows

This guide is useful for flashing firmware to most GSM Blades where TPT is not available. TPT is not able to downgrade a phone with factory Gen2 firmware to Gen1 or to upgrade a factory gen1 phone to Gen3 or factory Gen2, so for these tasks you need to follow this guide. It is possible to flash any firmware to any Blade with this guide if you so desire (but do observe the warnings). This is not the same as flashing a ROM (Gen1|Gen2). If you are unsure about which Gen firmware your blade has, ask Mr PigFish. This method requires a Windows PC.

There is an easier way - TPT!

For most applications, it is possible to flash firmware via TPT. TPT is easier, faster, and safer than windows flashing, and does not require windows. Try these threads for TPT instructions first, then use this guide if they can't help you.

• Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade: TPTs to flash from Gen1 to Gen2, and from Gen2 to Gen1 if you upgraded to Gen2 with TPT. A number of different partition layouts are available, and fastboot is enabled. This is the easiest way to upgrade from Gen1 to Gen2.
  • Gen2 TPTs: TPTs to repartition and enable fastboot on stock Gen2 Blades.

Advantages of modified firmware
    Windows upgraded/stock Gen2 Blades have a wasteful partition layout, no fastboot mode, and are incapable of flashing Gen1 compatible TPT images. Some are sold with 256MB of RAM hidden by software. Depending on which files you flash, you can:
    • Change the partition layout to something more optimal, and therefore have more space on the data partition for your apps (315MB instead of 162MB), as well as 15MB more space overall.
    • Enable fastboot mode. Fastboot can be useful for recovery if you make a mistake flashing ROMs and cannot boot your phone.
    • Add the ability to flash Gen1 compatible TPT images.
    • If your Blade was sold with 256MB of RAM and it has 512MB in hardware, then this process will unlock the full 512MB or RAM (Blades that have 512MB in hardware and can be unlocked include all known European GSM models and the Dell xcd35. Chinese models, the Indonesian N880, the Russian RTK v8, and any CDMA model cannot be unlocked and trying to do so will brick them. I don't know yet if the Brazilian model is unlockable).
    • Downgrade to Gen1. Optional, and not useful for most people.
    • Upgrade to Gen3. Also not useful for most people since most ROMs require Gen2.
    • If you flash stock firmware compatible with your phone form this thread, you can restore your phone to its factory state. I don’t believe this is ever necessary.
      Warnings
      The following process should be safe if you follow it carefully, but care should be taken to avoid bricking your phone. I cannot guarantee that it will work on all blades, and you must be aware that there is some risk of bricking
      • Do not use this guide for Chinese Blades, Russian RTK v8s, or CDMA Blades (v880, x880, u880, n880) as they are not compatible with these firmware packages.
      • This process will wipe all your internal memory - data, apps, ROM, etc, but not your SD card.
      • Nandroid backups can be restored after flashing, but only if their contents fit on the new partition layout and they correspond to the same Gen. If unsure, don’t rely on it. Backup all your data before flashing.
      • Do not mix and match files from different firmware packages. Some combinations will cause a permanent brick.
      • Do not use any firmware files from outside this post (e.g. other TPT files) with this method. Using these can result in a corrupt IMEI.
      • If you are trying to unlock extra RAM on your 256MB Blade, be aware that although all European GSM Blades I know about can be unlocked, your Blade might be the first one that can’t. If it can’t, you may end up with a brick.
        Downloads
        Before you begin, download these three files to your Blade’s SD card:

• restore_stock_recovery.zip (md5:F7D1EA48A334E86A468A66B00A833E9A): This restores the stock recovery image if you have replaced it with clockworkmod. Stock recovery is necessary for the flashing process.
        • recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-blade-gen2-update_signed.zip (md5:17fbb1b404b4d6780fb799583ba90708): this re-flashes clockworkmod after the upgrade process so you can install a ROM. If you want to flash Gen1 firmware, you must use recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.5-blade-gen1-update_signed.zip (md5:3e8b9cd53c85697f8b9dd14643e896fa) instead. your current installation of clockworkmod will be overwritten in the flashing process.
        • A ROM to install from clockworkmod after flashing the firmware, so that you have a working phone. If you are unsure, use Swedish Spring, as it is compatible with Gen1 and Gen2.
          Next, download one of the firmware packages from below and extract it to a folder on your computer. If want to use Gen2 ROMs, pick the first one, unless you have a good reason not to. All packages below will unlock hidden RAM.

Firmware packages

(md5:3bba5273f14dea9c971178f8f6fa4b2d)
          (Recommended)
          • Partition layout: 2MB cache, 160 MB system, 294MB data
          • Fastboot enabled
          • This partition layout is the most efficient for CM7 and most custom ROMs. 140MB is not quite enough for the latest releases.

(md5:dba6a95c0bc33333a6c04e87ca4b380e)
            • Partition layout: 38MB cache, 215MB system, 204MB data
            • Fastboot enabled
            • This partition layout is necessary for most stock ROMs and for early builds of ICS/CM9.

(md5:4630F7165EE331FD2EBFC2679D3AAAC1)
              • Partition layout: 2MB cache, 140 MB system, 314MB data
              • Fastboot enabled
              • If you flash this to a Gen2 Blade with a 136MB partition layout from the old windows flasher, you will be able to restore your nandroid backup afterwards (both firmwares are Gen2 and the system and data partition are both bigger)

(md5:85D7B01156C2E713FA927C78D2C39D53)
                • Stock Gen2 Partition layout: 37.5MB cache, 220MB system, 162.5MB data.
                • Fastboot disabled

(md5:3f3cc4b6b45fac19bdcbe3bd8b380445)
                  • Gen3 radio and Gen2/Gen3 memory layout
                  • Stock Gen3 Partition layout: 200MB system, 162MB Data, 57MB cache
                  • Fastboot probably disabled

(md5:12F238321EDA5B5CB2F4569E1FD3C08B)
                    • Partition layout: 2MB cache, 136MB system, 303MB data.
                    • Fastboot disabled

(md5:27917857EFA40ADCECDD1B7793263229)
                      • Stock Gen1 partition Layout: 41MB cache, 207.5MB system, 208MB data
                      • Fastboot enabled

(md5:64EEE62012A78231C9F5ECD475D72C84)
                        • Partition Layout: 41MB cache, 128MB system, 287.5MB data
                        • Fastboot enabled

How to Flash

[*]If you intend to keep your ROM/Data, make a nandroid backup. Be aware that depending on which firmware you go from/to, it may not fit on your new partition layout and/or your ROM may not be compatible with your new memory layout.[*]Make sure you have saved the three files above to your SD card. The version (gen1/gen2) of clockworkmod and your new ROM should match the Gen you are flashing to. Make sure your Blade has plenty of battery.[*]Boot your phone into recovery mode by turning it on with volume down held. If the words FTM appear on the screen, go to the next step. If you find yourself in clockworkmod or AmonRa, flash restore_stock_recovery.zip and reboot with volume down held. The words FTM should now appear on the screen. Note that you have now removed clockworkmod - you can restore it after flashing.[*]Connect your phone to your PC via USB.[*]Unzip the contents of the firmware package you want to flash. Start the program called “download.exe” in the root folder. When the flasher window comes up, press the start button. If the start button is not clickable, use “driverinstaller.exe” to install ZTE drivers and make sure your phone is connected and in FTM mode.[*]Wait a few minutes for your phone to be flashed. The screen will turn black for a while. Do not interrupt this process. A message will inform you when flashing is complete.[*]Disconnect your phone and remove the battery. Reinsert the battery and turn on the phone (normally, with no buttons pressed). Your phone should boot into clockworkmod recovery.[*]IMPORTANT: clockworkmod is now installed to your phone’s boot partition. This means that if you install a ROM at this point you will overwrite clockworkmod. You must now flash the correct version of clockworkmod (recovery-clockwork 4.0.0.5-blade-genX-update_signed.zip) from your SD card. This will install clockworkmod to the recovery partition where it belongs.[*]Restart your phone with volume down held. It should boot into clockworkmod. If it boots into FTM mode or does not progress pass the green android, go back to step 7 and make sure you flashed the correct version of clockworkmod.[*]In clockworkmod, install the ROM you downloaded previously or restore your nandroid backup. Reboot and enjoy your new firmware. If you flashed a TPT compatible firmware, then use TPT if you ever want to repartition again.

Troubleshooting

If the flasher fails at 98% and your phone will only boot into FTM mode, or if your IMEI is lost in the process for any reason, then it can usually be fixed. The problem is that the flasher failed to restore NV memory after flashing your phone. Save "channel1.nvm" from the folder that you ran the flasher from (this file contains your IMEI and NV memory) and follow the instructions in this thread to restore it to your phone. If you already have that file then you can just restore it straight away without any hex editing or firmware flashing. This will make it boot properly and with the correct IMEI.

How this works

All the packages above contain the Gen2 flasher patched by mrradmir. They each contain a set of the usual .mbn firmware files in the files folder. The lost IMEI problem is avoided because the recovery.img in the firmware folders contains the appropriate stock recovery image rather than clockworkmod. The flasher automatically boots the phone into FTM mode near the end of the flashing process and restores the IMEI if necessary, with no user intervention. Clockworkmod is initially installed to the boot partition instead. All packages also contain blank system and userdata images to prevent problems caused by corrupt data after repartitioning, as well as a standard splash image, which is required if it is moved by a new partition layout. Thanks to The Soup Thief, hecatae, wbaw, mrradmir, and others for contributing to all this.

Changelog

2011-12-26

[*]Added warnings about the incompatible Russian RTK v8 and the Brazilian model.[*]Removed links to Gen3 TPTs that don't work.[*]Added v10 versions gen2 TPTs - both stock and custom partition layouts.

2011-10-22

[*]Added links to newly posted Gen2 style TPTs from Amphoras, revised recommendations as to when to follow this guide accordingly.

2011-10-14

[*]Updated custom partition layout from v7 to v9 (no major changes)[*]Changed TPT upgrade links to point to xda since the modaco post was removed[*]Added stock Gen3 firmware package

2011-06-22

[*]Updated custom partition layouts from v4/v5 to v7/v7b, and updated the clockworkmod on boot to 4.0.0.5

2011-06-21

[*]Updated links to point to clockworkmod 4.0.0.5

2011-06-20

[*]Removed references to 850Mhz GSM and HSUPA. I give up.[*]Added a troubleshooting section with instructions to follow if NV memory fails to restore, since people seem to be having this issue

2011-06-17

[*]Renamed wbaw's firmwares to "custom" by wbaw's request. wbaw does not wish to receive queries from this guide, and does not use windows.[*]Added a warning against flashing CDMA blades. My intuition tells me it would be a bad idea.

2011-05-23

[*]re-added wbaw's firmware's, having found the problem[*]Added a warning not to flash any of these files to Chinese blades, as they lead to a bootloop/brick.

2011-05-16

[*]Added wbaw's Gen2 v5 - re added cefs.mbn (because I haven't tested without it and it does not cause a problem with this method)

2011-04-09

[*]Initial post

worked like a charm ..... got blade mix wid d help of a frnd .... custom firmware rocks !!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hedgepigdaniel

So nothing we can do for CDMA Blade? I wish i can cook from custom ROM to use it in my CDMA Blade. Is there any possibility? Thx guys.

Only if you can find someone who has one who is willing to put in the work.