[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest -= 71baker =-

Hi guys. Just popping in to say really kickass excellent work! Come payday im gonna do some donatin!

Im gonna use this as a daily driver for now.

Guest NeilLewis22

The vega has the same Hardware as the Xoom apart from 512mb of ram and no internal storage. This rom when completed will work like a dream on the Vega. I tried it last night and part from the 3d gallery not working I found it was really stable and fast. Very good job guys will send you some beer money when I get my wedding out of the way (skint)

Guest WWEpsp
you must have the android SDK installed first

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

once installed start up a dos prompt in the "platform-tools" folder and issue the commands

or if you've installed the 'vega tools' suite, its installed as part of that - have a search in your program files directory for 'adb'

thanks to both of you!!

Guest pillowshot

Guys!

Use an alternative launcher!

ADW Ex or LauncherPro, you'll find both extremely fast compared to the stock launcher! Everything just seems to run better. Presumably because it uses less RAM.

Guest Zebrahead
The bizarre thing is that I can get into recovery (PC sees device) but when I run adb devices, nothing listed ! I'll try YAUDIG later on to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Hmm.... it strange!

It seems like your drivers must be set up properly, or you wouldn't get as far as "completing the restoration".

A shot in the dark, but if reinstalling the drivers doesn't work, is there another machine you could try it on?

Zeb

Guest simonta
The bizarre thing is that I can get into recovery (PC sees device) but when I run adb devices, nothing listed ! I'll try YAUDIG later on to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

I think you're confusing everyone, not least yourself :unsure:

You don't use recovery to run ADB! Just go to Settings->Applications->Development and turn on USB Debugging. Do not turn on USB Storage if asked.

Guest bigsman

It really is impressive how well this runs already in my opinion. Ok so there are a few issues but considering it's an early Alpha release I have to say overall it's brilliant. I know it's probably too early to start mentioning specific fixes etc but just wondered if anyone else had noticed that the sound output has changed for better and for worse? On the plus side the volume slider actually does seem to change the output level all the way to the top which gives more control esp via headphones. On the downside and again this is an observation from using headphones, the sound seems to be very tinny and lacking in bass compared to previously. This minor niggle aside, I'm going to stick with A4 as my day to day for now...

Keep up the great work guys!

Guest MaxiP
I think you're confusing everyone, not least yourself :unsure:

You don't use recovery to run ADB! Just go to Settings->Applications->Development and turn on USB Debugging. Do not turn on USB Storage if asked.

Apologies for confusing everyone and yes, I was mixing my install descriptions !!

Long story short - my desktop refuses to let me install the correct device driver so no matter what I tried, nothing would connect / install. The only thing I can successfully do is install Advent 1.09.

So used my lappy, pushed MCR r8 & revovery image on in 2 minutes, reboot to recovery & Nandriod restore

Guest Zebrahead
Apologies for confusing everyone and yes, I was mixing my install descriptions !!

Long story short - my desktop refuses to let me install the correct device driver so no matter what I tried, nothing would connect / install. The only thing I can successfully do is install Advent 1.09.

So used my lappy, pushed MCR r8 & revovery image on in 2 minutes, reboot to recovery & Nandriod restore

Suppose s'all ok if nothing was lost!

Strange how 1.09 will work and not OCR though - as I said, they're the same thing *shrugs*

Glad to hear it's all worked out

Zeb

Guest simonta

OK. If you can push MCR8, then ADB drivers are OK so now you need the recovery drivers to install this. Did you try my guides or AUDI?

You do know also that you will see nothing on the Vega screen in recovery, not even the backlight. If you do see anything, including the backlight, you are not in recovery.

Guest houdini2005
OK. If you can push MCR8, then ADB drivers are OK so now you need the recovery drivers to install this. Did you try my guides or AUDI?

You do know also that you will see nothing on the Vega screen in recovery, not even the backlight. If you do see anything, including the backlight, you are not in recovery.

use audi to install the right drivers brill tool, it was the only way i could get the adb drivers to install properly on my win7 machine. :unsure:

Guest pakomen
Suppose s'all ok if nothing was lost!

Strange how 1.09 will work and not OCR though - as I said, they're the same thing *shrugs*

Glad to hear it's all worked out

Zeb

I am having the same problem as Maxip, I can restore and nvflash earlier roms but it sticks on nvflash screen when I try Corvus5 or cm7 and now honeycomb and refuses to boot,

If i replace the boot.img file with an older one it reboots but a lot of the bits don't work ..ie wireless being one..

So something has changed in the boot.img...corvus 0.5 worked fine..so puzzelled here..

By the way went through the same procedure with friends new machine and it is working 100%

So unless a previously installed rom bricked something in my one I just dont know..tried to get currys to exchange but no joy.

cheers

pako

Edited by pakomen

Guest simonta
I am having the same problem as Maxip, I can restore and nvflash earlier roms but it sticks on nvflash screen when I try Corvus5 or cm7 and now honeycomb and refuses to boot,

If i replace the boot.img file with an older one it reboots but a lot of the bits don't work ..ie wireless being one..

So something has changed in the boot.img...corvus 0.5 worked fine..so puzzelled here..

By the way went through the same procedure with friends new machine and it is working 100%

So unless a previously installed rom bricked something in my one I just dont know..tried to get currys to exchange but no joy.

cheers

pako

Don't replace boot.img unless you are skilled. Boot.img contains the kernel and you should not be swapping kernels between ROMs without good reason. No suprise that some stuff didn't work.

Flash back to stock first, then install whatever ROM you are looking for. Don't try doing anything else until you've gone back to stock.

Guest Nicky J

just thought i'd post a few issues i'm having as i hadnt seen anyone else post them:

browser locks up the machine quite regularly - to the extent where the only thing i can do is hold down the power button to hard power off. this happens loads, so much so that its not really useable in a day-to-day situation. i.e i cant browse for more than a couple of minutes with out it happening. thought it might be flash, so tried uninstalling that and rebooting, but it still seems to be affecting it. also tried re-flashing the default rom, and then re-applying vegacomb, but its still doing it.

my only thought is that i didnt clear the cache, etc in clockwork before i flashed as i assumed that the nvflash re-partitioning would clear everything and this wouldnt be necessary - could this be the cause of the issue...?

EDIT: just thought that this is probably not the case, as i reflashed the default advent rom, and surely this would wipe everything back to factory default, inluding the cache, dalvik, etc, no?

(not really moaning about this btw - i fully appreciate its alpha - just wondered if anyone else was having the same problem...)

other than that the ROM is amazing. very impressed with honeycomb and you guys for porting it over

Edited by Nicky J

Guest Touch Graphite

If someone posts up a running video of Alpha4, I can view it against the Xoom experience and tell you how bad or good it is!

Guest premieral
just thought i'd post a few issues i'm having as i hadnt seen anyone else post them:

browser locks up the machine quite regularly - to the extent where the only thing i can do is hold down the power button to hard power off. this happens loads, so much so that its not really useable in a day-to-day situation. i.e i cant browse for more than a couple of minutes with out it happening. thought it might be flash, so tried uninstalling that and rebooting, but it still seems to be affecting it. also tried re-flashing the default rom, and then re-applying vegacomb, but its still doing it.

my only thought is that i didnt clear the cache, etc in clockwork before i flashed as i assumed that the nvflash re-partitioning would clear everything and this wouldnt be necessary - could this be the cause of the issue...?

EDIT: just thought that this is probably not the case, as i reflashed the default advent rom, and surely this would wipe everything back to factory default, inluding the cache, dalvik, etc, no?

(not really moaning about this btw - i fully appreciate its alpha - just wondered if anyone else was having the same problem...)

other than that the ROM is amazing. very impressed with honeycomb and you guys for porting it over

to be honest even after wiping the caches and dalvik etc i have still occasionally found traces of previous roms so it is always best to wipe them, dont rely on the new rom flash to do it cleanly :unsure:

Guest pakomen
Don't replace boot.img unless you are skilled. Boot.img contains the kernel and you should not be swapping kernels between ROMs without good reason. No suprise that some stuff didn't work.

Flash back to stock first, then install whatever ROM you are looking for. Don't try doing anything else until you've gone back to stock.

Yes I always do that anyhow (go back to stock rom) I was just trying to work out why that after successfull flashing,with nvflash the machine just sits with the nvflash message on screen.(only with cm7 corvus and honeycomb.)

Earlier roms install fine using the same method.

Cheers

pako

Guest Zebrahead

cheers

pako

Yes, simonta is correct. Changing to a boot image not designed to run with your ROM could lead to problems.

I suspect most of the failings is down to partition size changes. Unfortunately, there's no simple way to explain how to fix it other than choosing the right flash.cfg.

What I don't understand is the whole "it just waits on nvflash screen after restore completion" - mine does that all the time and it's never been an issue. I can't deem that a problem as it's never been an issue throughout my usage. I've flashed many many times, waiting on nvflash screen after completion is normal behaviour in my eyes.

As for restoring, I'd suggest anyone with troubles like this to revert to stock if possible. The only reason I can think of that stock would work when this tool doesn't is that stock will always have the right flash.cfg for itself. In changing flash.cfgs, you're changing the layout internally. This is required for the HC alpha, but I suspect it may be why restoration is confusing. That being said (I know it sounds scary), it's not a problem, and it's easily resolved.

As for those who want to use OCR with both HC and non-HC, I'll try and make a guide about how to go about it. I can't promise anything until Monday evening though - I have a lot of work to do until then.

Zeb

Guest pakomen
Yes, simonta is correct. Changing to a boot image not designed to run with your ROM could lead to problems.

I suspect most of the failings is down to partition size changes. Unfortunately, there's no simple way to explain how to fix it other than choosing the right flash.cfg.

What I don't understand is the whole "it just waits on nvflash screen after restore completion" - mine does that all the time and it's never been an issue. I can't deem that a problem as it's never been an issue throughout my usage. I've flashed many many times, waiting on nvflash screen after completion is normal behaviour in my eyes.

As for restoring, I'd suggest anyone with troubles like this to revert to stock if possible. The only reason I can think of that stock would work when this tool doesn't is that stock will always have the right flash.cfg for itself. In changing flash.cfgs, you're changing the layout internally. This is required for the HC alpha, but I suspect it may be why restoration is confusing. That being said (I know it sounds scary), it's not a problem, and it's easily resolved.

As for those who want to use OCR with both HC and non-HC, I'll try and make a guide about how to go about it. I can't promise anything until Monday evening though - I have a lot of work to do until then.

Zeb

I suppose, the sitting on "nvflash screen" wasn't normally what happened when my nvflashing worked , the vega would automatically shut down and if the automatic shut down didn't happen , when i manually shut the vega down it never rebooted.

so i associated the non reboot with the "nvflash screen" on the vega not clearing (as thats the only time it happened) at least now i know i was incorrect in my assumption.

Thanks both for your replies..

cheers

pako

Guest agolding

has anyone found the from goes very slow after a while? Also when I switch it to portrait the buttons at the bottom left never work, presume this is normal?

Guest andyfalc
Downloaded Alpha4 and installed it just sorting out market as i type.

Thanks guys you lot are amazing.

Jason.

Hello Jason did you manage to get Market working..Flased alpha 4 most things work ,looks great but cannot log into google servers for Android market.

Any ideas...

Great work to those two guys...Hats well and truly off..

Andy

Guest Nicky J
to be honest even after wiping the caches and dalvik etc i have still occasionally found traces of previous roms so it is always best to wipe them, dont rely on the new rom flash to do it cleanly :unsure:

i've reflashed the stock, installed cwm, cleared out cache/dalvik/factoryreset, and then reinstalled vegacomb alpha4, and its still bloody doing it. argh!

starting to worry it might be a physical issue with my vega... it just locked up during bootup, and once in the market. not good. gonna try putting the stock rom back on, and see how that does, if it still locks up then i'm going down pc world tomorrow to get it replaced....

Edited by Nicky J

Guest pcwhirled
i've reflashed the stock, installed cwm, cleared out cache/dalvik/factoryreset, and then reinstalled vegacomb alpha4, and its still bloody doing it.

Afaik a vegacomb install wipes everything. I humbly suggest try another sdcard.

Guest Nicky J
Afaik a vegacomb install wipes everything. I humbly suggest try another sdcard.

thats what i thought (when it repartitions), but i thought i'd try it just in case.

been browsing on the stock rom for over half hour with no lock ups, so doesnt look like its a physical issue (thankfully).

gonna re-downlaod the alpha4 zip and try again (just in case the original was corrupt somehow...?)

EDIT: no, looks like its busted. wont boot at all now, cant even get into the built in Recovery mode! backlight lights up, and thats it. argh!

Edited by Nicky J