[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest Minimonkey
Nope, ROM manager doesn't work currently. There are instructions in the main post about how to get in to recovery from your Vega.

I need to read more sorry :unsure:

Guest HunteronX
So I only need to "VegaComb-BETA1a.zip" into the SD card, And I just poured in the press the "Reboot utility APK" on it ?

- Reflash the stock rom, and then enable USB debugging.

- Install clockwork mod recovery using this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1041036

- Tap the recovery icon, in the apps list

- Wipe data and cache

- Install the VegaComb rom (I think it's called 'VegaComb-BETA1a.zip', like you said)

- Reboot!

That's all of the steps. If you've already reflashed the stock rom, and installed clockwork mod recovery, just do this:

- Tap the recovery icon, in the apps list

- Wipe data and cache

- Install the VegaComb rom (I think it's called 'VegaComb-BETA1a.zip', like you said)

- Reboot!

Guest Remington Steale

I may have missed this (I dont think I have) but do you have to have music in a specific directory on the sd for the music app to pick it up?

I definitely have sd mounted (I can play my vids through mobo and read my kindle books and other bits) but the music app keeps saying "Nah, you poor, you aint got no music"

Same with the gallery app.

Also is exchange support left out on purpose for space issues or does it just not work in the honeycomb version of mail app (I only get pop and IMAP options for mail accounts)?

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest Hexxeh
You cant brick the Vega. First boot of this ROM takes quite a long time, try again :unsure: you can ALWAYS get in to nvflash, just keep trying :) make sure you long hold power and make sure Vega is off first :P

newbe5

Not strictly true is it? I'd heard someone managed to get a complete brick by uploading a bogus bootloader?

Guest simonta
Not strictly true is it? I'd heard someone managed to get a complete brick by uploading a bogus bootloader?

Nope, bootloader has no effect on recovery. Been there, done it. Deliberately flashed a bogus bootloader myself (once I was confident enough :unsure:), just to prove the point. No-one has yet found a way to brick a Vega using flashing.

Guest newbe5

nVflash replaces the bootloader when you flash. So as long as the nVflash keycombo is still there, your fine :unsure:

I've also had it before when I've totally nerfed my Vega, it realises it's crapped up and just boots directly into nVflash mode and waits for a connection. I love this tablet! :)

Guest zzleezz
nVflash replaces the bootloader when you flash. So as long as the nVflash keycombo is still there, your fine :P

I've also had it before when I've totally nerfed my Vega, it realises it's crapped up and just boots directly into nVflash mode and waits for a connection. I love this tablet! ;)

I got to just say, hats off to you Zeb. You pull off the seemingly impossible by shoehorning HC onto the Vega, you then proceed to make it usable by having a dev cycle with revisions coming faster than you can hit F5. All of that on its own is amazing, but then you also help people out here when you should be busy chopping up skirting boards in your kitchen!!

Love the way you have gone from user to dev in such a short time and that should be an inspiration to others that want more from their devices to go out and do it for themselves. Its all there, you just need the strength of will to actually go and learn.

If you need some DIY tips matey I am your font of knowledge in this instance! Just ask :unsure:

*edit* Forget to thank Corvus! Thanks to you too mate, if you ever need to put up some shelves or tile your kitchen floor just ask! I wont do it for you but I will tell you how I made mine look interesting :)

Edited by zzleezz

Guest celyn
Hi all, sorry to ask but is their an idiots guide to this, step by step to install this, been using alpha and the install was run bat file ( which I love ) but when it comes to x, y, z I get lost.

Much appriciated.

G.

make sure you are on stock rom.

first thing you need to do is get clockwork mod recovery flashed to it. download vega tools http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...ega-tools-v3-0/ then put vega in debug mode and plug into comp and using vega tools flash recovery.

put the zip file on the root of your sd card. then on apps open recovery and it will reboot in recovery mode with a menu.

clear cache, factory reset, then install from zip.

Hope this helps

Guest warriorscot

Defimately getting more hard lockups in the beta might try making the changes someone suggested to init.rc if the tablet thinks it has 1gb of memory rather than 512 that would be an obvious proble so halfing the values makes sense.

Guest rnotenboom

I'm sooo happy i really tough i bricked my vega but guest what he was stil turned on but the home key didnt worked so i pressed back button and at the same time the home and it works :unsure:

Guest newbe5
Defimately getting more hard lockups in the beta might try making the changes someone suggested to init.rc if the tablet thinks it has 1gb of memory rather than 512 that would be an obvious proble so halfing the values makes sense.

The Kernel hasn't changed from ALPHA4 to BETA1, so if you are experiencing more lockups it shouldn't be down to the Kernel. HOWEVER, I've learned not to rule ANTYHING out when testing, so if you do make these changes and it helps the situation, please let me know!

newbe5

Guest wellibob

Hi, currently on r8 Rom. Can I flash this Rom in clockwork as normal ?. Also if it fails for whatever reason how do I get back into clockwork to restore or flash say r8 rom ?. Thankyou

Edited by wellibob

Guest newbe5
I got to just say, hats off to you Zeb. You pull off the seemingly impossible by shoehorning HC onto the Vega, you then proceed to make it usable by having a dev cycle with revisions coming faster than you can hit F5. All of that on its own is amazing, but then you also help people out here when you should be busy chopping up skirting boards in your kitchen!!

Love the way you have gone from user to dev in such a short time and that should be an inspiration to others that want more from their devices to go out and do it for themselves. Its all there, you just need the strength of will to actually go and learn.

If you need some DIY tips matey I am your font of knowledge in this instance! Just ask :unsure:

*edit* Forget to thank Corvus! Thanks to you too mate, if you ever need to put up some shelves or tile your kitchen floor just ask! I wont do it for you but I will tell you how I made mine look interesting :)

Haha! Thanks for the props man! :P Skirting board fitted now, need to paint it all, but that can wait until tomorrow ;) The blame for me making the final leap into development has to be placed with Corvus :o Initially he PM'd me asking if I could make a theme for CorvusVegaROM_0.5 (This theme became GRID), from there we got to talking, and that quickly turned in to a collaborative effort, ending in Corvus5 (which I love!).

I've had a couple of system dumps from HC devices for a while, and after we finished work on Corvus5, we decided to take a proper look at HC and see if it was possible to get it working on the Vega (despite so many people saying it was impossible due to Harmony vs. Ventana etc.).

The final HUGE benefit came with winning the Advent competition here on Modaco. Before now I had been struggling along doing my development on my Windows PC (I love windows, and my PC rocks, don't get me wrong!), but I can't dual-boot my PC to linux as it shares all the media in my house etc, so I WAS using a Linux Virtual Machine (but it's a pain in the ass!). Winning the laptop means I now have a dedicated Linux machine I can use for dev work (which makes life MUCH easier!).

So, there you go :P My personal development story...

... And I still haven't painted the skirting board :P

newbe5

Guest Remington Steale
how can i put some photo's and music on my vega? because the vega can't connect to the pc yet right?

Take out the SDCard, put it in your pc, copy stuff, put back in vega

@panayioti - you beat me

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest Yogimax
how can i put some photo's and music on my vega? because the vega can't connect to the pc yet right?

You can use samba file sharing from the market which will allow you to see your Vega as a networked device.

Guest Remington Steale

Been messing around with the fact that the music app doesnt see my mp3's on the sdcard, I found if I blanked an sd and put a music folder on it then put some music in there it gets seen and can be played.

Are there likely to be some system files left on the sd from my corvus5 rom that would interfere with honeycomb seeing my mp3's on my main sd card?

Guest phil8715
You can use samba file sharing from the market which will allow you to see your Vega as a networked device.

Just put the VegaComb Beta 1 and it looks amazing. Just one or two screen freezes but apart from that it's brilliant.

Guest Yogimax

@newbe5 and corvus

First off brilliant job doing this port!

As this was a port of a port etc, did the video drivers and codecs get dropped or changed on the way? It may be just me but I can't get any video to play on native codecs or any game to play.

I can get videos to play using MoboPlayer in software mode as it brings in its own codecs.

Thoughts?

Guest Pyr0x64

finally got round to flashing and it runs pretty well with the memory tweaks to the init.rc. :unsure:

really liking the fact the OS is properly formatted for tablets

i've only had one complete lockup so far when installing estrongs file explorer from the market

after turning off and back on again everything seems ok and estrongs is installed and working

massive thank you newbe5 and Corvus for your work and continued development, you guys rock! :)

Guest rubbery

me too, I've struggled to post this due to lots of lockups. Would also love to see google calendar back as can't find on market.

Goes without saying I still love it!

Guest Steven-R-Raith

Honestly, I go and actually do some work for a change last week, I come back here and Honeycomb is up and perfectly usable, the usual alpha/beta caveats applied, of course.

Very, very impressed. Keep up the good work.