[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest warriorscot
I know there is a lot of work going into init.rc but I think it is probably a red herring. This configuration determines how Android behaves when you have a lot of apps running and it needs to reclaim space by shutting stuff down. They do not determine how Android allocates memory. AFAIK, Android uses whatever is available so reducing the image sizes is the only way to go.

I generally agree with you however in the more specific sense of this particular rom and roms on the vega having the vega think it has more memory than it does means that it isn't reclaiming space when it should which could be cause the freezing issues we are seeing.

Guest boroboy

excellent. worked. thanks.

Do this:

Do a Backup

Wipe User data and cache

Wipe Dalvik cache this can be found it the advanced menu

After that go back one screen and and select install zip rom from sd card scroll down to VegaComb then install

then when it finishes you need to manually reboot it. Press the power key to do the reboot

After reboot it should say Android then it should go into the VegaComb screen which should be green.

To scroll use the volume up-down buttons and to enter use the power button

Guest simonta
I generally agree with you however in the more specific sense of this particular rom and roms on the vega having the vega think it has more memory than it does means that it isn't reclaiming space when it should which could be cause the freezing issues we are seeing.

This tellls Android when to start agressively reclamining. It does a great job in usual circumstances regardless of memory.

Imagine you have 512MB memory. Android is told to get agressive when it has only 16MB left, for example. Exactly the same things happen as if you have 100GB memory, and you get to only 16MB left. Android doesn't kill system processes, most background processes or itself. These settings effectively tell Android how soon to start protecting itself. Lowering these values will in no way somehow give more available memory and may even make it less stable because Android's ability to keep the OS running is compromised.

The only impact is more apps closed, rather than on the "back stack" so slower to load next time the app is needed. The state of the app is saved so it appears you've gone back to it when in reality, it's been started again. Well written apps understand this and will take you back to exactly where you were. Bad apps don't :unsure:

Still, I'd be very happy to be wrong!

Guest simonta

Folks. I've been trying to find a way to install BETA1A without boot loops.

1. I installed by wiping, going back to stock, wiping again then installing. I did this 4 times and each time, got a boot loop

2. Someone suggested wiping AFTER install so I did and this worked. Did it twice. The problem is, you lose the stuff in the data partition.

3. Tried all sorts of things but found this also works consistently. In CWM, select "fix permissions" immediately afer install. It's worked for me on 2 tests.

Hope it helps...

Guest ViPaSoft
HI,

Could somebody post instructions i.e step by step of how to install please

I'm sure I've read several posts in this very forum giving step-by-step instruction...

Guest warriorscot
This tellls Android when to start agressively reclamining. It does a great job in usual circumstances regardless of memory.

Imagine you have 512MB memory. Android is told to get agressive when it has only 16MB left, for example. Exactly the same things happen as if you have 100GB memory, and you get to only 16MB left. Android doesn't kill system processes, most background processes or itself. These settings effectively tell Android how soon to start protecting itself. Lowering these values will in no way somehow give more available memory and may even make it less stable because Android's ability to keep the OS running is compromised.

The only impact is more apps closed, rather than on the "back stack" so slower to load next time the app is needed. The state of the app is saved so it appears you've gone back to it when in reality, it's been started again. Well written apps understand this and will take you back to exactly where you were. Bad apps don't

Still, I'd be very happy to be wrong!

Makes sense although in a 1gb system these would be larger or at least I would make them so reducing them will make for better memory utilisation. Also depends if they are relative or absolute values but I don't see why it would be specifically stated as optimised for 1gb if they were relative. Honest I am just going by educated guess I haven't read the documentation for that specific bit of code I know what it does but not the specs/implementation of it.

Guest Pyr0x64

since using setcpu to set the max clock speed to 1000 mhz i havent had another hard lockup in the last hour or so

Thanks mate,

Unfortunately it contains the exact same unyaffs version which I've built on both linux and windows but still get the same error message on both windows and linux

'broken image file'

Frustrating :unsure:

i used the kitchen myself, and it worked without any problems.

i was able to unpack the boot.img, edit the init.rc and repack it again

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest xathras
Does the polaris office suite work for anyone? It FC's everytime i try to create a new doc/spreadsheet/presentation

The same for me. QuickOffice also FCs.

This is not a complaint. I'm amazed how far this has come in only a week. :unsure:

Guest spacecadetuk
since using setcpu to set the max clock speed to 1000 mhz i havent had another hard lockup in the last hour or so

I've been trying that but still locking up for me on a fairly regular basis.

Guest warriorscot
since using setcpu to set the max clock speed to 1000 mhz i haven't had another hard lockup in the last hour or so

It doesn't seem to be stable at 1.5 just dropping back to 1.4 has made a difference for me.

None of the office apps and a couple of reading apps do not work so far for what I have tried but there is one reading app working for me so maybe one of the other office apps will run.

For those complaining about having to pay for setcpu. Its actually a free program its one of the XDA mad apps that the paid market version is basically like a donate version. Just join XDA and grab the setcpu zip file and it has an apk inside to install just stick it on the SDcard and install it each time or push it using adb.

Guest spacecadetuk
For those complaining about having to pay for setcpu. Its actually a free program its one of the XDA mad apps that the paid market version is basically like a donate version. Just join XDA and grab the setcpu zip file and it has an apk inside to install just stick it on the SDcard and install it each time or push it using adb.

Or use cpu master, free from marketplace and nice and easy to use

Guest ptbw
The team that brought you Corvus5 is back, to bring you HoneyComb for your Vega :unsure:

Fantastic job guys. Unfortunately I do rather need QuickOffice to work so will have to go back to Corvus5 for the moment, but it does look good.

Cheers!

Guest premieral
I've been trying that but still locking up for me on a fairly regular basis.

me too , most apps games seem to fc a few apps have completely locked the system and i get differing aps appearing in my apps folder every time i reboot?? But i have ,since getting the vega, got used to strange things happening and like somebody else posted a while back it is incredible how far newbe5 and corvus have gone with this in just a few days :unsure:

Guest Unipete
Fantastic job guys. Unfortunately I do rather need QuickOffice to work so will have to go back to Corvus5 for the moment, but it does look good.

Cheers!

I've managed to get Documents to Go to run OK.

Getting FC's with lots of other apps though. Some issues do not happen everytime. Just now and again.

Guest WWEpsp

Its just me? or its Beta1a getting frozed a lot?, i was joking with Tom Cat and get my vega frozed :S its driving me crazy LOL.

Sadly going back to Corvus5

Guest BlackCat^

Im defo getting more freezes in Beta 1 than in Alpha 4. Havent installed any more/different apps either. Also Books was there after installing Beta 1 but just vanished later on. Calendar isnt there also, not sure if that was there after the install but went later. Other gapps have remained which is odd why its losing some.

Loving the general speed of the ROM and havent had a single FC, just a load of lockups and needs to reboot.

Guest holli
I've managed to get Documents to Go to run OK.

Getting FC's with lots of other apps though. Some issues do not happen everytime. Just now and again.

a app2sd problem?

Guest dringie

Hey just installed this rom and its working well. I did have loads of freezing and the book app going walkies. I don't know what happened to books as the application manager says it is still there, I seem to have sorted the freezing though by turning the clock speed down to 1.2ghz. I am posting with the vegacomb now :-)

Guest Yogimax
Hey just installed this rom and its working well. I did have loads of freezing and the book app going walkies. I don't know what happened to books as the application manager says it is still there, I seem to have sorted the freezing though by turning the clock speed down to 1.2ghz. I am posting with the vegacomb now :-)

As far as I know, the books app is only available in the US

If you have a UK account it will probably be disabled.