[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest CrArC
An interesting observation - just installed Advanced Task Killer, set it to aggressive and to kill on screen lock so will see how that goes for the next day or so.

That's what I wanted to do, and while killing apps did immediately make Honeycomb spring back to life, it really needs to do it without waiting for you to put it down (every slowdown I've experienced has been because I'm using the tablet, after all!)

I've tried using the lowmemorykiller trick in a terminal emulator to reset the points at which Honeycomb kills apps (trying to go for it to treat circa 60MB free as zero MB free) so:

su

echo "15630,17120,18888,18888,18888,24576" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree

I think I've had some success with this, in that it locks up less often, but I can't honestly see that it's killing apps any more than usual. I'm currently trying a few paremeters in build.prop instead, which doesn't seem to change the minfree values at all, but also works (or so I hear, at least on older versions of Android). I thought there were some changes to Honeycomb's memory management, so it could be none of this is doing anything.

But yeah- definitely, definitely locks when free RAM dives below 50MB.

Guest CrArC
I edited the init.rc file but used some different values than those suggested, not sure how much memory an N1 has but the vega is 512mb so the values should just be half that neccesary for a 1Gb ventana or harmony device.

So the values should be more along the lines of

setprop ro.FOREGROUND_APP_MEM 10240

setprop ro.VISIBLE_APP_MEM 12800

setprop ro.PERCEPTIBLE_APP_MEM 10240

setprop ro.HEAVY_WEIGHT_APP_MEM 8192

setprop ro.SECONDARY_SERVER_MEM 10240

setprop ro.BACKUP_APP_MEM 8192

setprop ro.HOME_APP_MEM 16384

setprop ro.HIDDEN_APP_MEM 10240

setprop ro.EMPTY_APP_MEM 12800

# Write value must be consistent with the above properties.

# Note that the driver only supports 6 slots, so we have HOME_APP at the

# same memory level as services.

write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj 0,1,2,4,7,15

write /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory 1

write /proc/sys/vm/min_free_order_shift 4

write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree 1536,3072,4096,6144,7168,8192

I left the last line along as I am not 100% sure how to handle it without reading the documentation. I think there will probably be a few things like this where it thinks that its a 1gb tablet rather than a 512 so is trying to use more memory than it has a quick run through the code to track down and optimise for 512mb will probably help a lot. Don't have the time to create a new boot.img with the changes right now but if someone wants to try they are welcome to give it a go.

Actually here we go, I knew I'd seen it in this thread before - warriorscot is definitely on to something with the memory issues. It's the setprop values I'm trying right now, though much more aggressive numbers than this (to cater for the 50MB limit). Bear in mind these numbers are in pages, which should be 4KB each. So 12800 = 51MB, vaguely.

Guest WWEpsp
Don't spend too much time on this. This is now (at least partially) working in the newer unreleased build. We will keep working and release it when we are happy with it :unsure:

newbe5

Did you get to fix the connection with enterprise wifi??? Its the only thing that is bodering me...

If you have to test it, im here for any help, if i have to have a test i'll do it without problems.

Sent from my Vegacomb LOL

Guest Gavlar
Currently the drive does not mount correctly, so if you connect it to the PC you get no option to share the SD card. We are working on this and hope to have it fixed (or at least bodged :unsure:) ASAP.

newbe5

I downloaded USB Mass Storage Watcher from the market and have since managed to drag and drop pictures to my sd card via USB

Guest newbe5
Did you get to fix the connection with enterprise wifi??? Its the only thing that is bodering me...

If you have to test it, im here for any help, if i have to have a test i'll do it without problems.

Sent from my Vegacomb LOL

We have a way of fixing it in the new build, but currently we can EITHER have Ad-Hoc networking, OR EAP networking enabled. Not both at the same time. If we can't fix this we may just provide small CWM packages to switch between the two.

newbe5

Guest gypsy_morph

Hi have just flashed honeycomb and my vega wont turn on it keeps displaying the andriod screen and restarting. after a dozen or so times it switches off. Help

Guest wtabram

So ive been trying for 2 days now to install beta1a,

For Completely unknown reasons to me i cannot get it to install.

I have reverted to 1.09, installed the modoco r8 rom, installed clockwork 2.5 and 3.0 and neither seem to boot.

All i ever get is the BSOD.

I find it really hard to get it to boot into clockwork, i click the recovery icon in apps and it usuall just hangs to a BSOD!

after various tries of hold down power for 6 sec's and nvsafe mode i get it to enter recovery.

What am i doing wrong?

When i go into recovery i wipe everything, ive tried sd card out and everything else i can think.

Is their an easier nvflash method?

I have never had a problem installing rom's on my desire and have really basic knowlage of abd.

Please help someone coz i am at a loss.

Wayne

Guest Panayioti
So ive been trying for 2 days now to install beta1a,

For Completely unknown reasons to me i cannot get it to install.

I have reverted to 1.09, installed the modoco r8 rom, installed clockwork 2.5 and 3.0 and neither seem to boot.

All i ever get is the BSOD.

I find it really hard to get it to boot into clockwork, i click the recovery icon in apps and it usuall just hangs to a BSOD!

after various tries of hold down power for 6 sec's and nvsafe mode i get it to enter recovery.

What am i doing wrong?

When i go into recovery i wipe everything, ive tried sd card out and everything else i can think.

Is their an easier nvflash method?

I have never had a problem installing rom's on my desire and have really basic knowlage of abd.

Please help someone coz i am at a loss.

Wayne

You could try installing through computer using adb?

Guest simonta
Hi have just flashed honeycomb and my vega wont turn on it keeps displaying the andriod screen and restarting. after a dozen or so times it switches off. Help

Flash it again. After flashing, before rebooting in CWM, use CWM to fix permissions.

Guest gypsy_morph
Flash it again. After flashing, before rebooting in CWM, use CWM to fix permissions.

Sorry I'm a complete noob how do i re-flash?

Guest gypsy_morph
:unsure:

Exactly the same as you did it first time.

I used CWM the first time how do i get back to it if the vega won't boot?

Guest celyn

you have to re flash the stock firmware first following the instructions on http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/

then run clockwork mod but before you install from zip clear cache and factory reset from in the clockwork menu.

Guest newbe5

If it's booting up enough that you can access adb, use:

adb shell recovery_2

adb reboot

And you will be back in CWM.

Guest wtabram
Cheers for the help. Works great!

Can i just ask how your installing the rom?

Everyone seems to be able to install this with out too much hassle and can help feeling that im missing something.

Wayne

Guest gypsy_morph
Can i just ask how your installing the rom?

Everyone seems to be able to install this with out too much hassle and can help feeling that im missing something.

Wayne

I used this thread http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...asy-install-v2/

then copied the beta download .zip file on to the sd card. (dont unzip it)

Boot in recovery.

You need to then clear the cache and factory reset first then run the zip.

PS

In clockwork mod you hold the back button for a 2 count to move down and use power button to select.

Guest frottage
Here are the apk's for the email and calendar.

I just copied and pasted them in to the system/app folder using root explorer and then changed the permissions to match the other apk's then restarted.

email - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15893864/Email.apk

calender - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15893864/CalendarGoogle.apk

Fantastic - much appreciated - now, if i could just sort flash - my life would be perfect !

I used this thread http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...asy-install-v2/

then copied the beta download .zip file on to the sd card. (dont unzip it)

Boot in recovery.

You need to then clear the cache and factory reset first then run the zip.

PS

In clockwork mod you hold the back button for a 2 count to move down and use power button to select.

Im pretty sure you can use the volume keys to move up and down in CWM

Guest Remington Steale

A little more info regarding exchange support, after doing a clean install of VegaComb Beta 1 and pushing the email.apk from the adam rom version 14 I have all the exchange security functionality (mandatory pin code and other security requirements request on first setting up the exchange account) including the option within exchange 2010 ECP to wipe the device instead of just blocking it.

Must be something quite different in the base of honeycomb as corvus5 does not use any of the exchange functions.

I would say its pretty safe to go with the email apk from the adam for the next beta, unless anyone with exchange 2007 has a different story??

Guest le_lutin

I just got my vega yesterday and flashed vegacomb straight on top of whatever rom the vega comes with. Vega rom is running quite slowly for me with very frequent slow-downs (pressing buttons and waiting a while for them to register). Now I know this is in beta, but I see some people saying that this version is good enough for them to use as a daily driver. This is definitely not the case for me as it's so slow that using it everyday would drive me insane. I did try using setcpu to clock down to 1ghz, but it didn't make any difference.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if flashing vegacomb straight over the out-of-the-box rom was the right thing to do. Am I now missing some graphics drivers or something that might be making honeycomb slow?

Guest Remington Steale
I just got my vega yesterday and flashed vegacomb straight on top of whatever rom the vega comes with. Vega rom is running quite slowly for me with very frequent slow-downs (pressing buttons and waiting a while for them to register). Now I know this is in beta, but I see some people saying that this version is good enough for them to use as a daily driver. This is definitely not the case for me as it's so slow that using it everyday would drive me insane. I did try using setcpu to clock down to 1ghz, but it didn't make any difference.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if flashing vegacomb straight over the out-of-the-box rom was the right thing to do. Am I now missing some graphics drivers or something that might be making honeycomb slow?

If you didnt wipe the device first that may be why you are having problems. Installing a zip straight over the top may leave behind bits of the old rom.

Go back into recovery and wipe the data and caches then flash vegacomb, but it is very definitely beta, and the drivers are not quite there yet.

Guest le_lutin
If you didnt wipe the device first that may be why you are having problems. Installing a zip straight over the top may leave behind bits of the old rom.

Go back into recovery and wipe the data and caches then flash vegacomb, but it is very definitely beta, and the drivers are not quite there yet.

Apologies, I should have said: I did do a full wipe of cache and data in clockwork recovery. I think I'll probably try to put the Corvus5 rom on. I take it that it's a lot faster than honeycomb?