[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest melodyman2010
Bluetooth - does it work? Yes I have searched and the question has been asked but cannot find a definitive answer, also not as a broken item on the tabletroms page. It just scans but does not find anything also when made discoverable do not show up on any devices to be paired.

I have turned on/off several times rebooted, cleared cache, but alas still no joy, not mega important just use it for wiimote and gps do-hickey.

i have managed to pair it to the home computer but thats all no phones or other devices come up in the scan, use it to stream my music through to the hi-fi wirelessly, and the sound quality through that sounds awsome, but through the jack plug sounds like a cheapo mp3 player from china!.

Guest moghm
From Newbe5's tweet " Nope, it hasn't :D I'm ill at the moment, spent most of the past couple of days in bed, and homer is away for the weekend!"

hope u get better soon newbe5, posted from my vega running 1.5

Guest CoWPlagued
Um...helpful :D

Why not just answer

Hall ha, I post the quote from lennyuk stating they are trying to get flash working then post the tabletforum link with the current features, then mentioned the youtube and twitter feeds that have updates before the forums do.....

Oh dear newbe5 I hope you've not been eating cucumbers!

Guest Yogimax
i have managed to pair it to the home computer but thats all no phones or other devices come up in the scan, use it to stream my music through to the hi-fi wirelessly, and the sound quality through that sounds awsome, but through the jack plug sounds like a cheapo mp3 player from china!.

I connected via bluetooth to my car's stereo and was able to play music and video audio via A2DP

PS Get well soon newbe5!

Edited by Yogimax

Guest mintvilla
1. In the computer industry this is the norm, see driver updates for newer os on old hardware(nvidia esp). An expectation is out there and the companies has set the bar for consumers. Not the other way around.

2. I see Advent vega as a value added reseller. The hardware is created by foxcon, Many others sell the SAME hardware product. There are merely reselling the product in the UK. They have done a great job in advertising and providing tech support.

3. This is not true. There is no minimum requirements for honeycomb. And the 512mb memory is more than adequate. In fact in the current port, there is more memory still to be freed.

I do not imply Advent Vega is being defective in there product development.

Because the firmware for all the clone devices(Shutlle P10an01 , Advent, POV WSL, etc), is very similar. I think the firmware is created in China by ##### and the individual manufacturers are merely getting a customized firmware version.

I think Google is Strangling the Honeycomb market by it licensing practices. See the other Tablets with Honeycomb support and near identical hardware (created from same ref design). So equal blame goes around here(Chinese manufacturer and Google).

Issues delaying the Honeycomb ports to Cheap Chinese tablets/devices

1. Quite frankly the Chinese would have had a Honeycomb port out by now had it not been for the Google pressure/licencing.

2. I think the Chinese do not want to pay the licensing fee and then have it ported over to old devices and make no profit.

3. Then there is the issue of Fragmentation of the market, which Google needs to deal with. And I think this is the first step(licensing).

4. Ask yourself why is there no market on the Advent Vega OEM firmware.

The Honeycomb port is a awesome free port by community people. They should be praised. This however does not excuse the manufacturers from stepping up to the plate.

What on Earth are you on about, Google dont license Honeycomb??

The only reason why Honeycomb hasnt been released is because basically its still beta, and they didnt want people to put this beta product onto their phones.

Thus why when Ice cream sandwich comes out, thats when the real finished product comes out.

Also your 4th point about why there is no market for the Vega OEM firmware, its because before honeycomb came out, to have googles licensed apps, which arent apart of android which is open sources, you had to meet certain critiea, which was basically it has to be a phone, has to have 3g radio, gps, wifi etc, and is why the Samsung Galaxy tab had a sim card slot, and can actually make phone calls, it really is just a 7inch phone.

So since the vega didnt have gps, 3g etc it wasnt allowed to have the google apps.

All of this is public knowledge btw, and if you searched google you would see direct quotes from the people who make android when other people have asked these same questions.

But thanks for giving your opinion on why you think the way these things are, even if they are quite far from the mark.

Guest Mattyb_uk
Bluetooth - does it work? Yes I have searched and the question has been asked but cannot find a definitive answer, also not as a broken item on the tabletroms page. It just scans but does not find anything also when made discoverable do not show up on any devices to be paired.

I have turned on/off several times rebooted, cleared cache, but alas still no joy, not mega important just use it for wiimote and gps do-hickey.

I've managed to get my spanking new wayfinder bt gps module working after following the instructions for the 2.2 rom. Not managed to get filesharing via devices working yet.

Guest markinton
I very much doubt that.

Apparently its a port of vegacomb

The site is pretty clear (via Google translate anyway). They will be providing an upgrade, though it's not available yet.

M

Guest markinton
I very much doubt that.

Apparently its a port of vegacomb

The site is pretty clear (via Google translate anyway). They will be providing an upgrade, though it's not available yet.

M

Guest mintvilla

M

The site can be pretty clear, it Still wont be Honeycomb, Its a small time dodgy site, theyve been promising Honeycomb for a long while now.

Since Honeycomb isnt open sourced, the only way they can get their hands onit is if there one of googles preferred partners, of which they arent.

Theres a whole thread over at xda about this.

Guest Rob Watson

Does anyone know if there is a problem with Vegacomb and USB's?

It does not appear to pick up any external device that i stick in and if i navigate to the USB folders under the File Manager it is empty even though i know that there are files on the device.

I cannot see anything under the known issues for Vegacomb 1.5.2, so not sure if this is a bug or if it is just not working for me.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with USB's on this version and if so is there a resolution to get it working

Hope this is right thread to get a response :D

Guest le_lutin
Does anyone know if there is a problem with Vegacomb and USB's?

It does not appear to pick up any external device that i stick in and if i navigate to the USB folders under the File Manager it is empty even though i know that there are files on the device.

I cannot see anything under the known issues for Vegacomb 1.5.2, so not sure if this is a bug or if it is just not working for me.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with USB's on this version and if so is there a resolution to get it working

Hope this is right thread to get a response :D

Are you in USB host mode? You get into this mode by starting up the tablet and when the screen lights up, you hold the back button until the tablet fully boots.

Guest SWOriginal

@devs

Just to get an insight into how deverlopment is going, do you have any ideas on what's causing the issues with flash or camera?. Due to the fact that fullscreen flash videos have the green bar and ghosting it seems like a problem with hardware acceleration or possibly even codec issues.

I want to make vegacomb my everyday rom but HD videos in the YouTube app & flash are yet to be fixed so its the only thing holding me back :D

Guest Rob Watson
Are you in USB host mode? You get into this mode by starting up the tablet and when the screen lights up, you hold the back button until the tablet fully boots.

Great got it working. Thanks for your help

Guest newbe5
@devs

Just to get an insight into how deverlopment is going, do you have any ideas on what's causing the issues with flash or camera?. Due to the fact that fullscreen flash videos have the green bar and ghosting it seems like a problem with hardware acceleration or possibly even codec issues.

I want to make vegacomb my everyday rom but HD videos in the YouTube app & flash are yet to be fixed so its the only thing holding me back :D

Everything kind of hinges around graphics acceleration. Android 2.2 and (mostly) 2.3 used software rendering for a lot of processes (2D, flat plane and web rendering). Which the processors are plenty fast enough to achieve, but due to the "flashiness" (I guess :D) of Honeycomb, and to increase performance on next generation tablets, most everything is meant to be set up for hardware acceleration. Even things that, for the most part, don't really need to be.

The issue is, that the current nVidia binaries and libraries that we have for the Vega, do not support these newer hooks and methods, and so they have had to be hacked in to work. To get the web browsers and other webview based apps to work, hardware acceleration has been disabled in webview itself, etc etc. unfortunately, flash needs hardware acceleration to work, so we are in a kind of catch 22 situation. Theoretically if we could get the newer nVidia binaries etc working on the Vega, then this problem MIGHT be resolved, but unfortunately to do that we would need a kernel patched up to .36 (which Honeycomb requires). Until that happens, everything has to be quite hacky to get it to work, which is fine for now, but leaves a few things falling short. This will hopefully be fixed in time though!

If there are any other developers/hackers or handy android enthusiasts that know their way around the OS and own a Vega, please feel free to contact me! The more help we can get on this the better!

newbe5

Guest WWEpsp
Everything kind of hinges around graphics acceleration. Android 2.2 and (mostly) 2.3 used software rendering for a lot of processes (2D, flat plane and web rendering). Which the processors are plenty fast enough to achieve, but due to the "flashiness" (I guess :D) of Honeycomb, and to increase performance on next generation tablets, most everything is meant to be set up for hardware acceleration. Even things that, for the most part, don't really need to be.

The issue is, that the current nVidia binaries and libraries that we have for the Vega, do not support these newer hooks and methods, and so they have had to be hacked in to work. To get the web browsers and other webview based apps to work, hardware acceleration has been disabled in webview itself, etc etc. unfortunately, flash needs hardware acceleration to work, so we are in a kind of catch 22 situation. Theoretically if we could get the newer nVidia binaries etc working on the Vega, then this problem MIGHT be resolved, but unfortunately to do that we would need a kernel patched up to .36 (which Honeycomb requires). Until that happens, everything has to be quite hacky to get it to work, which is fine for now, but leaves a few things falling short. This will hopefully be fixed in time though!

If there are any other developers/hackers or handy android enthusiasts that know their way around the OS and own a Vega, please feel free to contact me! The more help we can get on this the better!

newbe5

how are you newbie?? are you ok?? read you got a flu or something like that :D

be strength because we need you!!! :o

Guest Scanno

newbe5

So with what kind of things can we help with???

If there is something i can help with...

What kind of skills are you looking for.

Guest newbe5
So with what kind of things can we help with???

If there is something i can help with...

What kind of skills are you looking for.

Mostly, common sense and patience :D A lot of what you need to do to get stuff working is just trial and error. Make sure you know how to use ADB, learn chmod, chown, and other linux commands. Read up on how busybox and toolbox work, research the internals and just mess around and see what happens when you change stuff. Something works in CM7, but not in VegaComb? OK, copy files form CM7 over the top of the ones in VC, play around, CHMOD, brick, reflash, try again, different file, keep going etc etc. It's not ALL that, and tbh most of the actual file porting has now been done, but you get the idea. The memory tables can be tweaked and played with, anything in the init.rc can be changed, recompile the kernel from GIT if you know how and make changes there, reflash, test etc etc. Then there is the deeper stuff, like smali/baksmali editing of .apk and .jar files, as well as pulling apart the libraries and seeing if they can be hacked to work differently (which is how the camera will need to be fixed imo).

To be honest, a huge amount of it is just time, which I don't have a massive abundance of. People have fixed things already on this forum, for stuff can't even test (like 3G) and it might just be that with a lot of trial and error, an accidental fix could be found for something else. While we soldier on, we also keep quiet hope that someone will get a newer kernel (.36 or newer) working on the Vega, as this will hopefully give development a boost and make things work more smoothly (although I doubt this will be a magic pill).

The only advice I can really give, is dive in, be prepared to spend a lot of time getting nowhere, keep trying, google a lot, get on IRC on irc.freenode.net and join ##adamroot, #villainrom and (maybe, but there isn't much activity in:) #modaco. And as questions etc in there. This is how I've got here, I had basically no clue about any of this stuff when I got my Vega. Sure, I'd hacked around with my Hero, editing smkall things and getting a general feel for the way Android works, but the Vega has really pushed me to learn more.

Don't be afraid! You can't brick the Vega!

newbe5

Guest Scanno
Mostly, common sense and patience :D A lot of what you need to do to get stuff working is just trial and error. Make sure you know how to use ADB, learn chmod, chown, and other linux commands. Read up on how busybox and toolbox work, research the internals and just mess around and see what happens when you change stuff. Something works in CM7, but not in VegaComb? OK, copy files form CM7 over the top of the ones in VC, play around, CHMOD, brick, reflash, try again, different file, keep going etc etc. It's not ALL that, and tbh most of the actual file porting has now been done, but you get the idea. The memory tables can be tweaked and played with, anything in the init.rc can be changed, recompile the kernel from GIT if you know how and make changes there, reflash, test etc etc. Then there is the deeper stuff, like smali/baksmali editing of .apk and .jar files, as well as pulling apart the libraries and seeing if they can be hacked to work differently (which is how the camera will need to be fixed imo).

To be honest, a huge amount of it is just time, which I don't have a massive abundance of. People have fixed things already on this forum, for stuff can't even test (like 3G) and it might just be that with a lot of trial and error, an accidental fix could be found for something else. While we soldier on, we also keep quiet hope that someone will get a newer kernel (.36 or newer) working on the Vega, as this will hopefully give development a boost and make things work more smoothly (although I doubt this will be a magic pill).

The only advice I can really give, is dive in, be prepared to spend a lot of time getting nowhere, keep trying, google a lot, get on IRC on irc.freenode.net and join ##adamroot, #villainrom and (maybe, but there isn't much activity in:) #modaco. And as questions etc in there. This is how I've got here, I had basically no clue about any of this stuff when I got my Vega. Sure, I'd hacked around with my Hero, editing smkall things and getting a general feel for the way Android works, but the Vega has really pushed me to learn more.

Don't be afraid! You can't brick the Vega!

newbe5

I know you cannot brick the Vega. I know my way around android by now (using linux for years and android since version 1.0). Followed an android devcamp and made openvpn work with files from cm7. Also made a zip for this that can be flashed with cwm.

If i notice something that does not work i will have a look into that. I know how to use and read logcat... I gues it is just the same as a 'cat /var/log/messages' in linux. Hence log+cat <g>

Guest newbe5
I know you cannot brick the Vega. I know my way around android by now (using linux for years and android since version 1.0). Followed an android devcamp and made openvpn work with files from cm7. Also made a zip for this that can be flashed with cwm.

If i notice something that does not work i will have a look into that. I know how to use and read logcat... I gues it is just the same as a 'cat /var/log/messages' in linux. Hence log+cat <g>

Sorry, that post wasn't really aimed at you personally, it was kind of a general response for anyone reading! I know you are more than capable, as you fixed openvpn previously! :D I have a bug tracker if you are interested in having a look at the current issues we are working on? Drop me a PM if you would like to be involved man!

newbe5

Guest mxbob
I'm both surprised and impressed that you hadn't really done much prior to having a Vega? Kudos!

me too

it does make whats already been achieved with vegacomb even more impressive

shame it sounds like flash is a long long way off as that really is the only thing causign me to switch back to different roms

im half tempted to start reading up and have a mess myself but i know (barely) nothing about android and no doubt far smarter people than me will have it sorted a long time before i ever would

anyway a big thanks to everyone who has contributed to gettign vegcomb to the point its at we geniunely appreciate all teh work thats gone into this

Out of interest, if ejtagle manages to get a working .36 kernel on the Vega, will this go some way to getting Vegacomb running as a fully operational Honeycomb OS?

Edited by Guest