[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest le_lutin
Just a little something I noticed on performance:

I've been a little miffed with the vega, having played with the iconia and xoom in the shops and found the general honeycomb UI to be faster, smoother and more responsive than on my tablet running vegacomb, despite similar hardware specs... So I've been trying to find the reason for it.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the biggest performance killer is the background data stuff, especially with regards to email. Turn that off/kill the gmail app and all of a sudden it performs much better.

That said it never quite got a smooth as the other tablets, which still vexed me, given how well samurai 2 runs, it's clearly not a slow tablet.

Last night I installed a live wallpaper, and all of a sudden the performance improved, and I'm now seeing the vega as smooth as the iconia and xoom on the main UI (launcher) - previously I had a 1400x900 jpg as the scrolling background, whereas this new live wallpaper, whilst it animates, doesn't scroll.

I don't know if that is a memory issue or just a lack or horsepower/acceleration to scroll the entire image, but whatever it is it definately seems that killing background data and setting a wallpaper that doesn't scroll makes a massive difference to the overall smoothness of the UI, and really does bring it in line with the rest of the 10-inch HC tablets out there performance wise.

Having a live wallpaper probably has a small negative effect on performance/battery. Have you tried to test using a non-scrolling static wallpaper?

Guest rvdgeer
argh accidentally deleted the wrong 2mb stagefright file could anyone please upload think it is 1.97mb in system/lib

now my flash wont work, completely my own fault but cba reinstalling vcomb

Can't you extract it from the ROM in the first post?

Guest unclebob31

Just reporting in.

Flash is fine with Opera Mini on many sites.

I only get the green bar on a limited number of occasions.

With the green bar solution above should be as good as it can get.

Installing opera seems to tweak up performance over all as does installing a live wallpaper.

Not had to reflash for over a week now as had few FCs and no lockups.

This has been since I stopped using the stock browser and made sure that the tombstone folder was always empty.

Hope this helps a few folk.

The best UB31

Guest Jisonga

Small donation just sent to help out with cable mate as i feel a lovely little update is on its way and thts about all i could think of to help out.

Jason.

Guest newbe5
Small donation just sent to help out with cable mate as i feel a lovely little update is on its way and thts about all i could think of to help out.

Jason.

Massive thanks for this! :) Your donated cable has just arrived, I'll be back on top of things tonight!

newbe5

Guest pm99

Jason.

+1 Thanks for the hard work; had great fun trying out your ROMs.

Guest sipart
Haha! Yep, this is the same thing I was doing when my stupid cable broke! :rolleyes: There are also some other files which we need to play with, but this is a damn good start :) thanks for picking up testing while I'm incapable mate! Keep it going! If you find anything further be sure to let me know! This will DEFINITELY be in the next update, great work! I will hopefully be getting my cables soon, so I can jump back in and get it working!

newbe5

Ahhhh - posted the stagefright hunch back in May - http://android.modaco.com/content-page/339...0/#entry1703582 - but changed my settings using root explorer to the same as my blade and confirmed the settings had stuck - but it didn't work for me so never posted about it again - probably messed up somewhere - doh!

Good to see some progress though - looking forward to a 1.7 with fully working flash :-)

Many thanks for the continued efforts.

Guest newbe5
Ahhhh - posted the stagefright hunch back in May - http://android.modaco.com/content-page/339...0/#entry1703582 - but changed my settings using root explorer to the same as my blade and confirmed the settings had stuck - but it didn't work for me so never posted about it again - probably messed up somewhere - doh!

Good to see some progress though - looking forward to a 1.7 with fully working flash :-)

Many thanks for the continued efforts.

Yep! We figured stagefright was a major issue, but hadn't yet tested much with Flash as there didn't seem much point until the Opera loop became apparent. Unfortunately, I did the testing with Alpha4, and was at the start of running compares, when my cable decided to explode :rolleyes:

All back on track now though! A couple of other changes ni addition to this, and we are going to be good to go with 1.7 very shortly :)

newbe5

Guest Pyr0x64

just tried the libstagefrighthw.so fix, but i think i must be doing something wrong lol

although the bbc iplayer vids look ok without a green bar across the bottom, they play like a slideshow with very low framerate (literally like 1-2 FPS) :)

switching back to the 5KB version of the file and framerate improves again, but the vids look like crap

[edit] using opera browser

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest xathras
Last night I installed a live wallpaper, and all of a sudden the performance improved, and I'm now seeing the vega as smooth as the iconia and xoom on the main UI (launcher) - previously I had a 1400x900 jpg as the scrolling background, whereas this new live wallpaper, whilst it animates, doesn't scroll.

Having read this I had a look for something that would give me a static non-scrolling wallpaper and found "Wallpaper Wizardrii" in the market. It works, but too soon to tell if it improves performance. It gives you a lot of options that you won't have just picking a image from the gallery.

My apologies for having posted this. The app has a bug which the developer has known about since February but has not bothered to fix. Avoid this app like the plague.

Edited by xathras

Guest unclebob31
Just reporting in.

Flash is fine with Opera Mini on many sites.

I only get the green bar on a limited number of occasions.

With the green bar solution above should be as good as it can get.

Installing opera seems to tweak up performance over all as does installing a live wallpaper.

Not had to reflash for over a week now as had few FCs and no lockups.

This has been since I stopped using the stock browser and made sure that the tombstone folder was always empty.

Hope this helps a few folk.

The best UB31

Opps OPERA MOBILE not MINI.

Sorry if someone acted on this, my bad.

Now have it set up with all my favourite apps as a clean clockwork backup.

Keep the tombstone files clear...

GLA UB31

Guest gazmon2424
For newbe5:-

Seeing as your usb cable is broke, had a look at opera flash green bar ghosting problem, and found the following.

A file in system/lib name "libstagefrighthw.so" is only 6kb in beta1.6 but is 18kb in alpha4.

So I replaced the 6kb file with the 18kb file fixed permissions and owner.

Went into opera then went to youtube and green bar and ghosting gone, can now watch crystal clear videos from 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p on youtube with opera (videos also play in honeycomb browser but still have to make full screen).

Not sure if it was working before but iplayer, itvplayer and channel 4 on demand also worked in opera.

240p still low resolution.

360p green bar and ghosting gone.

480p for me was just garbage before could not see any image but now crystal clear.

720p and 1080p will play image and sound fine but is jumpy, 720p probably watchable.

Not sure if this will break anything else as have only tested flash in browser and it fixed this problem.

I have attached the file if someone wants to try replacing the file themselves just unzip then copy to system/lib folder and replace the file already there (just remember to fix owner and permissions) - this would be for further testing only and not everyone should do this incase it messes up your system.

Hope this helps until you get back to testing.

just replaced file and can cofirm opera works perfect with you tube (no green band anymore) seems smooth too, and other streaming sites ok with opera mobile,

can also add that the stock browser will not work properly does not seem to play you tube, gives error `cannot play video`

opera mobile is a result though, seems a fully working browser in vegacomb..

is there a way to get rid of the stock browser, we only need 1 working browser and opera does the trick

Guest simonta
Having read this I had a look for something that would give me a static non-scrolling wallpaper and found "Wallpaper Wizardrii" in the market. It works, but too soon to tell if it improves performance. It gives you a lot of options that you won't have just picking a image from the gallery.

My apologies for having posted this. The app has a bug which the developer has known about since February but has not bothered to fix. Avoid this app like the plague.

I've used Wallpaper Wizardrii for months with no issues. What's the bug?

Guest xathras
I've used Wallpaper Wizardrii for months with no issues. What's the bug?

The bug is that after some time the image you have selected as wallpaper shifts to the left, leaving the right hand half of the background black. I uninstalled and re-installed a couple of times but the problem persisted. When I switched back to the live wallpaper I was using prior to installing Wizardrii I found it suffering from the same problem. In the end I had to uninstall the app and reboot. If you've been using this for months with no problem could it be a version issue? Which version are you using?

Edited by xathras

Guest remlap

Could you possibly make Opera Mobile the default browser for now in the next beta build so we know everyone can get working Flash?

Cheers

Edited by remlap

Guest simonta
The bug is that after some time the image you have selected as wallpaper shifts to the left, leaving the right hand half of the background black. I uninstalled and re-installed a couple of times but the problem persisted. When I switched back to the live wallpaper I was using prior to installing Wizardrii I found it suffering from the same problem. In the end I had to uninstall the app and reboot. If you've been using this for months with no problem could it be a version issue? Which version are you using?

Are you using "no scrolling"? If so, try without. No Scrolling works by creating a service which manages the wallpaper. I can think of about 32.5 gazillion ways in which that could give you grief.

Guest Remington Steale

One question actually, for all the people who use flash with opera successfully is it the version of flash from the market or the patched version on the tabletroms page??

Guest xathras

Are you using "no scrolling"? If so, try without. No Scrolling works by creating a service which manages the wallpaper. I can think of about 32.5 gazillion ways in which that could give you grief.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using "no scrolling"; the reason being that Geishaboi (post #1724, page 87) suggested that it might improve performance, so from my point of view if I have to use scrolling I might as well go back to the default wallpaper system.

Guest brucelee666
One question actually, for all the people who use flash with opera successfully is it the version of flash from the market or the patched version on the tabletroms page??

I only use the flash from android market.

I have not used/tested the hacked version of flash newbe5 posted so don't know if the libstagefright has any effect on this (not had time yet).

Can I also ask a quick question ?

Many may be using opera as the main browser now due to flash but has anyone set "quick controls" to on in "settings->labs" on the main honeycomb broswer ?

I ask just wondering what you think as it acts a little like the blackberry playbook in that you swipe from left or right edge and it gives browser controls next to your thumb and removes the tabs and address bar from the top of the browser so allows more on screen.

Myself i like it more on screen and with one swipe I get access to main controls of the user interface.

Guest unclebob31
I only use the flash from android market.

I have not used/tested the hacked version of flash newbe5 posted so don't know if the libstagefright has any effect on this (not had time yet).

Can I also ask a quick question ?

Many may be using opera as the main browser now due to flash but has anyone set "quick controls" to on in "settings->labs" on the main honeycomb broswer ?

I ask just wondering what you think as it acts a little like the blackberry playbook in that you swipe from left or right edge and it gives browser controls next to your thumb and removes the tabs and address bar from the top of the browser so allows more on screen.

Myself i like it more on screen and with one swipe I get access to main controls of the user interface.

Same here

Opera MOBILE

FLASH from the market

GLA

Guest warriorscot

In response to newbes twitter post about nvflash: I would be fine with it being nvflash only personally the pursuit of cutting size isn't I think a priority after all as long as there is enough space to install link2sd(or preinstall it) then having enough space for apps is a bit of a non issue.

Guest Geishaboi
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using "no scrolling"; the reason being that Geishaboi (post #1724, page 87) suggested that it might improve performance, so from my point of view if I have to use scrolling I might as well go back to the default wallpaper system.

FYI I used the falling sakura live wallpaper.... it has falling blossoms that you can interact with, but doesn't scroll.

I didn't do anything like install a No scrolling hack.... I was just amazed by the performance difference when swiping between desktop screens, despite the fact that the live wallpaper is actually *doing* more... I figure it must be down to unaccelerated wallpaper scrolling or lack of memory or something....

Guest Panayioti

[REQUEST] for newbe5, the acceloremeter is a little dodgy, it works good but not as good as Corvus5, i get these results from playing speedx and raging thunder 2, the movement on the screen has a little delay (but enough to notice )after tilting the vega also mostly on raging thunder you have to tilt it more than you should to make the car steer. Could you try for yourself and see if you get the same results but i think its just the matter of changing the sensitivity of the acceloremeter.

Thanks, much appreciated and keep up the good work!!!

Guest ursulavasey

Can anyone tell me what combination of programs, settings, etc I need to run Iplayer on Vegacomb? I've downloaded it and think it's a great rom, but I want to use BBC Iplayer on it.