MCR discussion: battery life

Guest RotoTrol_P990

Guest vestelar

Same here. I try with FR15, 16 (with all the betas), FR17, also try different launchers (Go Launcher, Launcher pro, Gingerbread) and diferent dialers (Go Dialer, LG Dialer and AOSP) and dialer still drain the battery.

I'm really lost and if I can't fix this I will have to change to another ROM because my battery is empty before the end of the day :P

Guest ilos

FR17 battery drain :

lost 15% in 6h without touching it / during night / in flight mode

conditions :

flight mode

no apps installed except stock FR17 apps

Baked with :

Google Email

Google Launcher

Live Wallpaper (google)

Stock LockScreen

Maps

Google MMS/SMS

Youtube

Calculator

LG Calendar

FM Radio

LG Gallery

Home selector

LG launcher

LG Live wallpaper

LG Mirror

LG Music

PC Sync + On Screen Phone + MITS

Preloaded Additional Applications

Screen Capture

SmartShare

LG Video application

WAP Service

LG widgets

Adobe Flash Player

Polaris Office

Sprite Backup

Gingerbread Keyboard

Spare Parts

Titanium Backup

MCK kernel r14 with overlocking / undervolt support and 64MB RAM hack ( stock setting with pimpmycpu )

Power On / Power Off Sounds

SQLite 'speed tweak'

Wipe Battery Stats

as you see , baked ( with small additions ) like a stock rom

Guest zeroflow

Also tested it with FR17 non OC/UV:

5 hours of small use (short Gaming, writing SMS to my GF) and Battery is down to 86%

So it should take the Phone ~36h to reach 0% which would be VERY nice and not battery drain in my eyes since my old HTC Magic needed a recharge every 24h

WiFi active an connected, Full 3G Reception...

Baked without most of the LG Apps and without Car Home

Guest goatee

FR16b3 - 42 hours of use

FR17RC3 (no 64MB hack, & reverted to stock SQLite) - 14 hours.

??? I know recalibrating the battery can help - but will it help that much?

Guest darkhorse166

Two questions I have from reading this thread: has it been determined whether the baseband version have any impact on dialer usage (I've not upgraded my baseband on my 2X from stock at all), and for those who have experienced major battery drain, have you been using the AOSP (non-LG) calendar widget? I've had the dialer issue for as long as I can remember using MCR (full wipes not really doing anything), and Fr17 hasn't really helped things significantly. Maybe I'll try out Fr18b1, then an update of the baseband if that doesn't show any improvement.

Guest vestelar
Two questions I have from reading this thread: has it been determined whether the baseband version have any impact on dialer usage (I've not upgraded my baseband on my 2X from stock at all), and for those who have experienced major battery drain, have you been using the AOSP (non-LG) calendar widget? I've had the dialer issue for as long as I can remember using MCR (full wipes not really doing anything), and Fr17 hasn't really helped things significantly. Maybe I'll try out Fr18b1, then an update of the baseband if that doesn't show any improvement.

I have the last baseband and still have the "dialer" issue :P Sorry for the bad news.

Guest vestelar

Now I haven't the dialer issue with FR18b2 but still have a battery drain. Battery is down from 100% to 85% in 1:15 hour. :P Now the battery widget shows a partialy usage of "Android System" instead of dialer but it's the same drain.

Guest mankian

theres a bug somewhere that the phone falls over itself and seems to get stuck on 100% usage.

when this happens:

the battery meter doesnt update

the wifi won't work

the 3g data radio can act like erractic

battery usage ~30% an hour doing nothing

i found my phone didnt do this for a week then did it 3 times in one day.

i have turned on usb debug mode and did a battery stats clear (usb debug thing is mentioned alot on other forums for other android 2.2 devices). seemed fine again today...

im getting very close to sending it back to LG. wish I had of waited for the SGS2 now

Running stock V10D

Edited by mankian

Guest mirsadm
theres a bug somewhere that the phone falls over itself and seems to get stuck on 100% usage.

when this happens:

the battery meter doesnt update

the wifi won't work

the 3g data radio can act like erractic

battery usage ~30% an hour doing nothing

i found my phone didnt do this for a week then did it 3 times in one day.

i have turned on usb debug mode and did a battery stats clear (usb debug thing is mentioned alot on other forums for other android 2.2 devices). seemed fine again today...

im getting very close to sending it back to LG. wish I had of waited for the SGS2 now

Running stock V10D

Go over to the SGS2 forums on XDA..you'll notice lots of people having issues with their battery :P I've found FR18b2 to be the best so far. For example my current stats are:

11h 24m since unplugged

Display time on: 1h 9m

and I've got 62% left. I've used the phone for a bit of browsing, some flash videos and a game or 2.

You should try wiping everything and install the latest beta from modaco. The battery on the phone has the ability to be excellent (it is actually better than the SGS2 if you look at some recent battery comparisons)

Guest wapz
Go over to the SGS2 forums on XDA..you'll notice lots of people having issues with their battery :P I've found FR18b2 to be the best so far. For example my current stats are:

11h 24m since unplugged

and I've got 62% left. I've used the phone for a bit of browsing, some flash videos and a game or 2.

You should try wiping everything and install the latest beta from modaco. The battery on the phone has the ability to be excellent (it is actually better than the SGS2 if you look at some recent battery comparisons)

the spanish ril does wonders for the dialer wake!

Guest ilos

I will try another baseband today to check battery, coz when i received my O2X with the stock baseband i got only 2% of battery drain during the night ( 8h) in flight mode and now with 0405 and with stock or custom rom i drop from 100% to 77% in same conditions....

I'm using EUR baseband in place of France

Edited by ilos

Guest goatee

With 16b4 I only lost 5% overnight (10 hours)

With FR17RC3 (no 64MB hack, & reverted to stock SQLite) - the battery ran down completely in 14 hours!

with 18b2, I lost 20% - which still isn't terrible, but not nearly as good as 16b4 :P.

Edited by goatee

Guest Atomicman

i baked FR18b2 with LG Dialer and have no special battery drain.

But i'm not sure if this will stay like this *ggg*

Guest mankian

11h 24m since unplugged

yes i know. when its working i get very little drain, infact if it stayed working long enough i could get 2 or 3 days out of the o2x!! which is great. the problem i have is that the phone is knackared either software (what i thought at first) or hardware (what i think now).

Guest mtd123

My battery life was absolutely terrible (I could lose 10% while I was having breakfast) :P . But it is now much better (I could probably go a couple of days at a push).

The short version - I finally solved it by freezing all of the user apps on the phone, at which point the battery life shot up. I then proceeded to re enable them a few at a time until I found the culprit. (it turned out to be a rubbish world clock widget).

The longer version – I was convinced that the problem was with the dialler wake lock usage. This was based on the the fact that the 'suspend' process was always running at close to 50% and I figured that the most likely thing to stop the phone from sleeping was the wake locks.

This theory was disproved when Paul fixed the dialler wake lock problem and the dialler usage went right down without any noticeable affect on battery life. It was at this point that I finally took the advice given on these forums (many times) and froze all my user apps. (I had tried wiping before but as the first thing I always did after the wipe was restore all my apps it didn't solve my problems).

So lesson learnt. Just because an app isn't showing up as using, CPU, sensors, wake locks, etc doesn't mean it's not the cause of battery problems.

Guest bedevil99
My battery life was absolutely terrible (I could lose 10% while I was having breakfast) :P . But it is now much better (I could probably go a couple of days at a push).

The short version - I finally solved it by freezing all of the user apps on the phone, at which point the battery life shot up. I then proceeded to re enable them a few at a time until I found the culprit. (it turned out to be a rubbish world clock widget).

The longer version – I was convinced that the problem was with the dialler wake lock usage. This was based on the the fact that the 'suspend' process was always running at close to 50% and I figured that the most likely thing to stop the phone from sleeping was the wake locks.

This theory was disproved when Paul fixed the dialler wake lock problem and the dialler usage went right down without any noticeable affect on battery life. It was at this point that I finally took the advice given on these forums (many times) and froze all my user apps. (I had tried wiping before but as the first thing I always did after the wipe was restore all my apps it didn't solve my problems).

So lesson learnt. Just because an app isn't showing up as using, CPU, sensors, wake locks, etc doesn't mean it's not the cause of battery problems.

Given I had the same trouble as you, I went ahead and removed the WorldClockWidget.apk as well. We'll see if it is a common drain cause or just a specific one in your case.

Guest mtd123

Sorry - should have been clearer. It wasn't the LG WorldClockWidget.apk that was causing the problem. It was one that I installed from Market called TM World Clock 1.3.0.

My advice would be to use titanium backup freeze every app that didn't come as part of the rom. (you can filter by type 'user'). Give the phone a reboot and leave it for a couple of hours. With any luck you will see that the time spent "running" in spare parts has dropped significantly and the CPU time for the suspend process is negligible. If your battery life improves like mine did then you can start to defrost apps as you need them until you find the culprit.

Good luck!

Guest bedevil99
Sorry - should have been clearer. It wasn't the LG WorldClockWidget.apk that was causing the problem. It was one that I installed from Market called TM World Clock 1.3.0.

My advice would be to use titanium backup freeze every app that didn't come as part of the rom. (you can filter by type 'user'). Give the phone a reboot and leave it for a couple of hours. With any luck you will see that the time spent "running" in spare parts has dropped significantly and the CPU time for the suspend process is negligible. If your battery life improves like mine did then you can start to defrost apps as you need them until you find the culprit.

Good luck!

Was just about to say that it didn't work for me. Never mind. I think I will wait for the promised update - apparently it should be here before the end of the month. I also think that the drain comes from the rom or a part of it rather than a user app. Once I just flashed a stock rom using the nvidia tool and did't install any apps however I have still experienced a strong battery drain. Can't wait to have a phone that will last a day.

Guest aaww

I am on Fr18 beta2 basic bake with Email client from LG. MCK 11 no 64mb hack, no sql hack and no oc\uv.

just flashed the 405 baseband and now recovering from a wipe.

soon ill reboot and install the RIL that comes with it.

I will keep you posted on my battery status.

Hopefully it works better than it was.

Guest aaww

For me the battery issue is solved.

8:30 am i disconnected the phone from the charger the wifi was on.

I am using twitter and the k-9 mail app to check email on 2 accounts every 15 min.

i surfed the web from time to time, checking out links from twitter and following Paul through the day :P

I also use LBE Security app that is running in the background, as well as prey (http://preyproject.com/).

I also made a few phone calls and Skype was running for 2 hours.

Also forgot to mention i was playing Angry birds Rio N.O.V.A 2 HD and Pinball HD for 10 min each.

Now I am on 29%

I think I am good.

I was using the phone all day and still it has some juice left.

It seems like the wifi takes most of the power here.

Tomorrow i will try to go without it and see how much Power i have left.

Cheers.

Guest Trym Hansen
When my battery is fully charged 100% it shows 4175mV.

cant it go 4200mV ?

How is it for you people?

Highest reading I've ever had is 4190. Close enough I guess ;-)

::Trym

Guest aaww
Highest reading I've ever had is 4190. Close enough I guess ;-)

::Trym

i am trying all day to discharge and recharge. i get little bit more every charge.

My goal is to get as close as possible to 4200 and calibrate.

Hope ill get there soon :P