[ROM][GingerBread]CM7 working on Gen2 ZTE Light/V9 [2011-08-15]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest Luke Smith

My issue with wifi is that the connection stays active (the wifi icon is still in the notification bar) but it stops actually working. I've tried a few of the wifi keep-alive apps mentioned and none of them make any difference.

It works fine on the stock Optus 2.2 rom. I've bounced back and forth between them a few times to confirm.

When wifi is broken I have both a 3g and wifi icon in the bar, but wifi has no bars and 3g is green - seemingly meaning that the wifi interface thinks it should have a connection, but its not actually passing traffic properly anymore so the OS has brought the 3g interface back online.

happy to provide some logcats or whatever ;)

As I understand it the cm7 ROM still uses the same Optus kernel and wifi driver, so i wonder why it only affects cm7.

Edited by Luke Smith

Guest XeKToReX

KK, I finally got a response from Optus in regards to the kernel source.. not good..

"got a response back – we're unable to provide this because updates are proprietary as Optus owns the device"

Optus Owns the device..? Crock of s*** to me TBH!

Guest rangatangaa

i dont know if this is a setting? or a bug? and if so if it has been found yet. but when playing "drift mania" and other games and applications i found that the app doesn't use the whole screen. if this is a bug personally id consider it to be semi major? and i dont know how easy it would be to fix. but i would love it to be. thanks ahead ;)

also i would like to know a way of making the screen be landscape as default? is this possible? i dont know much about code. and wouldnt know how to do it. i barely know how to use ADB.

Guest sane?
KK, I finally got a response from Optus in regards to the kernel source.. not good..

"got a response back – we're unable to provide this because updates are proprietary as Optus owns the device"

Sounds like Optus (and ZTE) are going to have to be reminded of their responsibilities under the GPL. Such a statement makes them deficient under the licencing terms and therefore any selling of Android phone is illegal from this point. Ahh well, they could have made it so easy and simple, time for a letter to their lawyers pointing out their responsibilities vis kernel source and any mods.

If you have an email, etc. could you post it so we can see exactly how deficient they are.

Guest kallt_kaffe

There are proprietary stuff in the Android OS that they do not need to release sources for but that must not be confused with the Linux kernel which is licensed under GPLv2.

They may want to read up on GPL, there are some info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl

More specific they should worry about this part: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl#The_GPL_in_court

Guest PainToad
Sounds like Optus (and ZTE) are going to have to be reminded of their responsibilities under the GPL. Such a statement makes them deficient under the licencing terms and therefore any selling of Android phone is illegal from this point. Ahh well, they could have made it so easy and simple, time for a letter to their lawyers pointing out their responsibilities vis kernel source and any mods.

If you have an email, etc. could you post it so we can see exactly how deficient they are.

Always funny when people who don't know what their talking about start making legal threats.

Guest Luke Smith
Always funny when people who don't know what their talking about start making legal threats.

Whilst a bit of a generalisation I'm not sure there's terribly much wrong in what Sane? said.

Perhaps you would like to clarify, o learned one?

Guest samarium

Successfully fashed 2 devices to CM7, thanks to all the information here, and all the hard work of those doing the redevelopment. Thanks people.

Stephen: you are right, I forgot that I had Clockwork Reocvery already flashed after flashing 2.2. Can you go into Clockwork Recovery via the Vol Down button during power up? That's broken since 2.2!

The above is a question I would like answered however. I've read the entire thread, and can't find an answer to "how to I power up the device and have it go straight into clockwork recovery?" If I have a boot problem currently it seems like I've got to reboot into FTM and start again with 2.2, rather than book to clockwork & restore a know goot nandroid backup.

Guest kallt_kaffe
I've read the entire thread, and can't find an answer to "how to I power up the device and have it go straight into clockwork recovery?" If I have a boot problem currently it seems like I've got to reboot into FTM and start again with 2.2, rather than book to clockwork & restore a know goot nandroid backup.

You can't boot it straight into Clockwork after 2.2 upgrade. If you know your way around adb _and_ the phone boots partly but does a so called "boot-loop" (re running the bootanimation over and over again) then you can use "adb reboot recovery" to get into Clockwork.

If it's totally not booting your only option is to boot with volume down (will get stick at splash logo but it's in "FTM-mode" even though it doesn't say "FTM" on the screen) and redo the 2.2 upgrade. Not ideal, but it works.

Guest XeKToReX

I agree, from what I can tell, Linux kernels are licensed under GPL and therefore must be released!

I contacted them here: https://twitter.com/#!/Optus

I also just tweeted to them "@Optus Ian confirmed that no kernel source for the MyTab would be released, I refer to: http://bit.ly/lp4WBN and ask.. selling illegally now?"

Let's see if there is any response ;)

Guest samarium
You can't boot it straight into Clockwork after 2.2 upgrade. If you know your way around adb _and_ the phone boots partly but does a so called "boot-loop" (re running the bootanimation over and over again) then you can use "adb reboot recovery" to get into Clockwork.

If it's totally not booting your only option is to boot with volume down (will get stick at splash logo but it's in "FTM-mode" even though it doesn't say "FTM" on the screen) and redo the 2.2 upgrade. Not ideal, but it works.

I should have thought about adb myself, I've used it before to fix my Nexus One. Thanks for the reminder. Or course, I would not have needed the reminder if I'd paid attention when I was upgrading the second device and remembered to do a wipe before booting CM7.

I resorted to the reload 2.2 option, and found out about the green android-FTM-mode by trying it.

It is a pity that there isn't a button sequence that will cause clockwork to start at boot, requiring a computer handy is limiting. Thanks for the clarification.

Guest kallt_kaffe
I have 2.1 installed on my V9 but also installed Clockworkmod 4.xx. Can I now flash CM7 or will I have to install 2.2 first?

You MUST first upgrade to 2.2 to convert the device to "Gen2".

Guest Legion6
New version in first post.

Updated to the latest version - raging thunder ii - the car racing game that came with the my tab still displays in a small, rather than full screen?

Guest Gaz14
Updated to the latest version - raging thunder ii - the car racing game that came with the my tab still displays in a small, rather than full screen?

Go to spare parts app included and uncheck run older apps in compatibility mode reboot should be full screen

Guest roro2020

Dear kallt_kaffe

Thanks so much fro your support for ZTE

I updated my device to your room :

update-cm-7.1.0-RC0-V9-KANG-signed-20110606

I got 2 problems:

1 - Google talk can not use voice chat?

2- Music and Video I can not play like MP4,WMV,FLV ??

I'm waiting for your help

Thanks in advance..

Guest roro2020
also.. try this ..

Re-enabling the lock screen (Settings -> CyanogenMod Settings -> Tablet Tweaks -> Uncheck Disable Lockscreen) then setting an unlock method (Settings -> Location & Security Settings -> Set up screen lock) makes wi-fi re-connects more reliable.

i had been using REGPON wifi Keepalive , with great success for last few weeks , but now removed it and am testing the above..

For those still playing along... I re-enabled lock screen , set a new unlock pattern, rebooted, removed the unlock pattern i had just set , and then disabled lockscreen again ... rebooted once more .. been testing overnight, but already i can tell WIFI is behaving itself, when comming out of 'sleep' state..

Thank you all for making ZTE V9 becomes more than I expected

I think for Wifi disconeection problem you can use this app

"Advanced Wifi Lock (Free)" from the Android market

https://market.android.com/details?id=opote...cedwifilockfree

I tried that and it works for me

Waiting for your reply...

Guest sixreason

Sorry for the newb question, is it possible to update the stock 2.2 V9 kernel to the optimized kernel without update to C7 ROM?

Been trying to download the c7 rom but always fail halfway.

Edited by sixreason

Guest Legion6
Go to spare parts app included and uncheck run older apps in compatibility mode reboot should be full screen

Thanks for that, solved the problem!

Guest BorlCand

Hello kallt_kaffe and others.

I'm from Belarus.

Your ROM is great! :)

I have some notes about ROM...

1. Lock Screen, SIM security, Telephone can not "rotate".

2. Can you add settings to Wireless Network or to USB settings -> "No charge when USB plugged", and "USB Modem"

3. APN for Life:) :

Life // Internet

internet.life.com.by

Life // MMS

mms.life.com.by

4. Can you add setiing to choose 3G/2G/2G+3G in Wireless Settings? Because in widgets in statusbar and Widget - Power settings it's work!

Some users in my country and Russia don't know how to install from recovery in English. Can you give me sources, I want to translate in Russian.

It's my topic in Russian : http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=241208

Hm...

I want to add Google Maps, Music 3.0, Navigation, Location, and Street View in Google Apps, because in Russia and Belarus, Market show, that "This page not found"...

I installed 2.2(2.3.4 has been crashed) and calibration doesn't work normal...! I think that work of CM7 calibration! How I can fix this? May delete from recovery /system and others files???

Big thanks!!!

_______

Andrew.

Edited by BorlCand

Guest matri

Anybody encountered bluetooth problems?

I can't play music through my stereo bluetooth headset.

When I clicked play button, the headset was disconnected immediately. Btw, these headsets work well with motorola milestone2.

Thank you!

Guest a19074

Dear kallt_kaffe,

When I flashed my ZTE V9 with 0615 from Optus Andriod 2.2, the 3G is gone.

Could you please advise how to get it back?

Many thanks