[ROM][GingerBread]CM7 working on Gen2 ZTE Light/V9 [2011-08-15]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest Noblejoker

I registered here to say THANK YOU to all involved with the updates

I followed the trail from Whirlpool to here and read this forum with interest

have flashed my Optus zte v9 to the 20110521 and must say wow what a device

For $99au with all the limits removed this is one heck of a machine

Anyone who pays $200+ for an ipod touch would be green with envy!

2 tidbits I just wanted to share about CS walkthrough docx with the steps to follow

1. The link to ausdroid.net says austroid.net - has a T instead of a D

2. Mentions reinstalling the Gapps and gives the download link (to this thread)

For absolute noobs (like me) could you add a line that says copy Gapps zip to sd card, Reboot into Recovery manager and install from zip file

It's easy to do with the hint but hard if you have never done these things - took me an hour of googling to work it out!

Otherwise I think the walk-through is awesome and makes the work of KK and others accessible to everyone

Once again - THANK YOU all

Guest manhinli

Does anyone have trouble with the Android Wifi tethering/hotspot dropping out when the screen turns off?

I've tried setting the Wifi policy to "Never" switch to mobile data, and tried a number of those "keep Wifi alive" apps, all to no avail.

It seems that the process or something is "paused" (if I can say it like that) - because when you turn the screen back on it still thinks Wifi tethering is still active, but it definitely is not broadcasting it. A quick off/on again, and it works (until the next time the screen turns off).

Any ideas?

Guest kallt_kaffe
Does anyone have trouble with the Android Wifi tethering/hotspot dropping out when the screen turns off?

I've tried setting the Wifi policy to "Never" switch to mobile data, and tried a number of those "keep Wifi alive" apps, all to no avail.

It seems that the process or something is "paused" (if I can say it like that) - because when you turn the screen back on it still thinks Wifi tethering is still active, but it definitely is not broadcasting it. A quick off/on again, and it works (until the next time the screen turns off).

Any ideas?

I've noticed this too and when I tried with the leaked 2.2 it behaved the same way. I hoped that updating to the libs of the official 2.2 (from TeliaSonera) would fix this but it did not.

A workaround is to configure it to stay awake while charging and have it connected to the charger or a computer. With the latest version you can use USB tethering instead.

Guest skygunner

the default WI-FI sleep policy in the rom is sleep 'When screen turns off';

the other two options are

Never when plugged in ;

Never

It's known problem the wifi can't wake up back after the screen turns off and turns on back.

If you use the wifi hotspot feature, you might select 'Never' or 'Never when plugged in' and connect it to USB.

It's under wifi settings=>menu advanced.

'Advanced Wifi Lock (Free)' does disable wifi after screen off, but not enable wifi back

Guest manhinli
A workaround is to configure it to stay awake while charging and have it connected to the charger or a computer. With the latest version you can use USB tethering instead.

Was hoping I could use it more like a mobile hotspot, rather than a (bulky) USB modem... :)

the default WI-FI sleep policy in the rom is sleep 'When screen turns off';

the other two options are

Never when plugged in ;

Never

It's known problem the wifi can't wake up back after the screen turns off and turns on back.

If you use the wifi hotspot feature, you might select 'Never' or 'Never when plugged in' and connect it to USB.

It's under wifi settings=>menu advanced.

'Advanced Wifi Lock (Free)' does disable wifi after screen off, but not enable wifi back

Thanks, but I've already been through that (as per my previous post)

Guest parade

Having trouble with Youtube, but only when connected via wifi - not 3G.

A few minutes into running a video, an error message appears - "A problem was encoutered. Touch to retry."

This problem was not apparent with either the stock Optus 2.2, nor the V9_GENERICV1.0.0B03 ROM.

I suspect this is related to the Wifi keep-alive type problems - i.e. these programs detect an error, then force a reconnect, rather than actually solving the issue.

When checking dmesg - wpa_supplicant reported that the wifi had disconnected (may not be related?).

Tried using an open network (i.e. no WEP, no WPA) - but the problem remained.

Symptoms - video starts, buffers a few seconds, and plays well. At a FAIRLY consistent 2 minutes (+/- n seconds) in, the video claims to be fully buffered (i.e. red-tinged line reaches end of bar), but jumped to that position rather than increment toward it.

This occurs in CM7 20110627, and also 20110531.

Youtube version = 2.1.6

Can anyone replicate this behaviour?

Otherwise CM7 is a damn fine product, cheers to all involved & their hardwork :)

Guest boutsism
New version in first post. Now with overclocking support built in.

do we have to install the cm7_zte_v9_oveclockable_kernel_ahb_vmsplit_3g.zip file which is attached too after the install of 2011-07-03?or its already in the update package of 2011-07-03 and we dont need to install it?

Guest mariojjsimoes
do we have to install the cm7_zte_v9_oveclockable_kernel_ahb_vmsplit_3g.zip file which is attached too after the install of 2011-07-03?or its already in the update package of 2011-07-03 and we dont need to install it?

Hello,

Do we need to fully reset after installing? Will installed applications be lost?

Thanks, Mario

Guest kallt_kaffe

I've made it more clear now in the first post but it's just an optional update for advanced users. You'll be fine without it.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Hello,

Do we need to fully reset after installing? Will installed applications be lost?

Thanks, Mario

If you are updating from a previous version a wipe should not be needed. But if you upgrade from 2.1 or 2.2 you must wipe.

Guest Noblejoker

A piece of advice and a question if I may

Advice - to all having wifi trouble

Advanced wifi lock didn't fix the wifi problems for me

But Blade Wifi Fix works perfectly inc for YouTube vids

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.b...e=search_result

Noob question

Are updates stuck on the 2.3.?? path

Is there a reason the V9 can't go to 3.?? which is for tablets

Just curious cause franly I don't care - this gadget is SO AWESOME now I can't recall having ever felt better about a purchase

Everybody I have shown mine to wants one - but of course they are sold out now

MyTabs are going for $200 on eBay

Guest modacool

Has anyone tried Overclocking the CPU + overclocking the AHB?

I'm Overclocking the CPU to 800Mhz and have run stabilitytest for 15minutes with no problem yet.

But previously when I tried the AHB, I had some force closes.

Guest gibbyman
Has anyone tried Overclocking the CPU + overclocking the AHB?

I'm Overclocking the CPU to 800Mhz and have run stabilitytest for 15minutes with no problem yet.

But previously when I tried the AHB, I had some force closes.

After some testing for the last couple of days I'm very close to setting my light to boot on 787MHz with AHB-overklocking.

I started out with running StabilityTest for about 10 minutes for all frequencies above 748MHz, reached 825MHz where I ran it for another hour without problems.

Then - when I left it at 825MHz to do some real day-to-day stuff with it I realized that StabilityTest doesn't really provide the complete picture as I started to get freezes while downloading, installing apps etc.

I pulled the speed down to 806MHz, ran the test for another hour without problems, but still had some random issues with freezes, and since I don't want the tablet to freeze on me when I really, really need it to work (MyTracks, Google Maps, Sygic) I lowered it another step to 787MHz where I don't have problem with freezes like on higher levels. After that I added the AHB-overclock and I have been running my tablet like that (787MHz+AHB-overclock) for a couple of days now.

In the end I'm very satisfied with a 187MHz overclock (which is 31% faster than "out of the box") + the extra 10-15% of "snappiness" that the AHB-overclock is said to bring (there is a difference, I just don't know how to put my finger on an exact number).

- Do I need to say that the 105€ I spent on this tablet feels like my best deal in a very, very long time?

Edited by gibbyman

Guest boutsism
After some testing for the last couple of days I'm very close to setting my light to boot on 787MHz with AHB-overklocking.

I started out with running StabilityTest for about 10 minutes for all frequencies above 748MHz, reached 825MHz where I ran it for another hour without problems.

Then - when I left it at 825MHz to do some real day-to-day stuff with it I realized that StabilityTest doesn't really provide the complete picture as I started to get freezes while downloading, installing apps etc.

I pulled the speed down to 806MHz, ran the test for another hour without problems, but still had some random issues with freezes, and since I don't want the tablet to freeze on me when I really, really need it to work (MyTracks, Google Maps, Sygic) I lowered it another step to 787MHz where I don't have problem with freezes like on higher levels. After that I added the AHB-overclock and I have been running my tablet like that (787MHz+AHB-overclock) for a couple of days now.

In the end I'm very satisfied with a 187MHz overclock (which is 31% faster than "out of the box") + the extra 10-15% of "snappiness" that the AHB-overclock is said to bring (there is a difference, I just don't know how to put my finger on an exact number).

- Do I need to say that the 105€ I spent on this tablet feels like my best deal in a very, very long time?

the governor u are using is ondemand or something else?

Guest gusper

Simply awesome

There is nothing better

Everything is better with 7.1 rc1 Video playback is perfect, radio, yahoo mail.

I still can't get flash to work

By the way the clockwork download comes as a zip file when you need an apk file.

All I did was rename the file extension and it installed perfectly.

And when copying files to the newly flashed tablet via USB it actually crashed and corrupted my Win7 PC.

Fixed now not sure if it was a overclocking issue but I have a 2nd tablet so I might do an install youtube video.

I still feel the whirlpool instructions are far batter than those located here.

Guest Decado
I still feel the whirlpool instructions are far batter than those located here.

As one of the most common posters on Whirlpool, in fact I think the wiki has been modified to quote me in places, that's not totally fair.

All the instructions on Whirlpool came from here or swedroid where the bulk of posters do not use English as their primary language. It's not suprising that instructions by a native english speaker are little easier.

People like me also had the benefit or arriving after all the development had almost been finished and just had to make one set of instructions, we didn't have to evolve step by step changing the instructions as the methods changed.

I'm just really grateful to Kallt_Kaffe, Sebastian404 and everyone who's put work in on this. You've given an old retired guy a ton of fun and helped us all in Australia get a tablet that would cost 5 times as much to better.

Could someone please pass this on over at Swedroid for that matter?.

If I could speak Swedish I'd be over there thanking them myself.

regards

Dec aka (vk4ari @ whirlpool)

Edited by Decado

Guest sixreason

Flashed & running 800mhz ever since no prob. Smooth as butter :)

Tho im having issue with bluetooth. Cant seem to enable it. Once enable it will force close. Tried running with default clock speed also the same.

Any ideas?

Guest kallt_kaffe
Flashed & running 800mhz ever since no prob. Smooth as butter :)

Tho im having issue with bluetooth. Cant seem to enable it. Once enable it will force close. Tried running with default clock speed also the same.

Any ideas?

Works for me. Try a wipe.