[ROM][GingerBread]CM7 working on Gen2 ZTE Light/V9 [2011-08-15]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest parade

Gents/ladies,

Sorry to re-raise my youtube pain, but .. its got me.

When watching (specific) youtube videos , the video halts with an error which says "There was a Problem while playing. Touch to retry".

When you run the dmesg, you see that adsp_video_verify_cmd.c raised "unknown video queue: 4".

Which when you hunt through the source ... lo-and-behold ... exists :) God knows why it comes up.

Appears to only happen in certain videos, but it is always the same frame of the video.

[e.g. Starcraft 2 video, liquidTLO vs atnDarkforce (search "starcraft 2")]

Looks to only happen when connected on wifi.

Problem didn't exist in the Stock Optus 2.2 ROM, nor the generic 1.03, nor the generic 1.04... :/

Appears I'm not 100% crazy - ppl have the same problem with the HTC wildfire ...

Yes - problem the home router ... but ... it worked before ... wish it'd work now!

Guest forforum

Try these newer kernels, they are less "jumpy".

Thanks KK, the new kernel works much better. I'm learning to control it much better now.

The code can be seen here: https://github.com/k...screen/msm_ts.c (with the interesting part starting at line 226)

The "Flushing" is new in the 20110712 version I linked to above and it reduces the jumpiness you described a bit

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the hack. Essentially, I can port the same hack to other resistive screen with different pressure value? I might have a go at that with my Huawei S7. I'm new to Anroid kernel hacking.

Sure, it's not real multitouch, and it's not perfect but it's certainly a lot better than without the hack, especially with Angry Birds that does not have an alternative way of zooming.

For sure, the hack makes zooming much easier. I use RDP a bit on the tab, it will help a lot. Thanks again.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Essentially, I can port the same hack to other resistive screen with different pressure value?  I might have a go at that with my Huawei S7.  I'm new to Anroid kernel hacking.

Assuming that Huawei has released the kernel source, then yes, it could very well be possible. It's never to late to start kernel hacking. I not an expert by any means but I learn as I go and have fun in the process. :)

Guest r3ptil3

hi guys,

first of all, i'd just like to say a huge thanks for the work and the effort everyone has put into this ROM

it really is great!

secondly, i'd like to ask, does the MyTab support USB On The Go?

if it does, what exactly do we need to make it work?

for eg. a USB OTG cable or something?

any idea or pointers as to what sort of cable we need to look for?

thanks in advance!

Edited by r3ptil3

Guest forforum

I've ordered an OTG cable on eBay. Will have a look at it when it arrives.

I tried an OTG cable with the V9, it didn't work. It works with the Huawei S7, however, I need to re-compile the S7 kernel with NTFS support for it to read NTFS formatted drives, FAT formatted drives work and USB keyboard works too.

For the V9, I think we need to compile the kernel with USB host mode support to start with. KK is the kernel source on your public github site the latest (20110712)? I might give that a go later on.

Guest forforum
<br /> It's never to late to start kernel hacking. I not an expert by any means but I learn as I go and have fun in the process.

Thankx KK for the encouragement. Will need some help from experts like you.

My current ambition is to do the same nand repartition you did for the V9 for the Huawei S7 which suffers the same problem. Any information your can share will be much appreciated.

Guest stigger

OK I'm suppose I'm after some clarification here.

I'm running the CM 20110708 rom, and I'm looking at the CM 20010711 rom.

So can I just flash? the rom and retain my settings and apps?

I so cool, if not what's the best way to make the reinstall and reconfig as painless as possible?

Apologies if it's documented elsewhere, just point there and I'll go read that...

TIA

Jeff

Guest Gaz14
OK I'm suppose I'm after some clarification here.

I'm running the CM 20110708 rom, and I'm looking at the CM 20010711 rom.

So can I just flash? the rom and retain my settings and apps?

I so cool, if not what's the best way to make the reinstall and reconfig as painless as possible?

Apologies if it's documented elsewhere, just point there and I'll go read that...

TIA

Jeff

Just flash the updated rom and everything should be fine, I usually run a fix permission although recovery fix permission in 4.0.0.8 seems to have a fault so I use rom manager

Guest stigger

Just flash the updated rom and everything should be fine, I usually run a fix permission although recovery fix permission in 4.0.0.8 seems to have a fault so I use rom manager

Thanks for that, all went well

The only issue remaining is that the wifi reconnect isn't working very well and unlike before blade wifi fix doesn't seem to work (I don't see the "WIFI Dormant popup anymore")

Any ideas???

Guest kallt_kaffe

I tried an OTG cable with the V9, it didn't work. It works with the Huawei S7, however, I need to re-compile the S7 kernel with NTFS support for it to read NTFS formatted drives, FAT formatted drives work and USB keyboard works too.

For the V9, I think we need to compile the kernel with USB host mode support to start with. KK is the kernel source on your public github site the latest (20110712)? I might give that a go later on.

I'm aware that we need to do some kernel hacking but I won't bother until I have something to test.

Sven Killig did it for the 2.6.29 blade kernel and also for the Nexus 2.6.32 kernel so all we need should be possible to find here: http://sven.killig.de/android/N1/2.2/usb_host/

You can clone my repo, I push my changes when I add something useful so it's usually up to date.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Thankx KK for the encouragement. Will need some help from experts like you.

My current ambition is to do the same nand repartition you did for the V9 for the Huawei S7 which suffers the same problem. Any information your can share will be much appreciated.

Well, I do not know how the S7 does it's updates. The only reasons I can change partitions on the Light (and the Blade) is that ZTE provided us with updates that reflash those things (appsboot.mbn and partion_zte.mbn) and that they doesn't use any checksums to make sure they aren't modified before you flash it.

When I was messing with the Huawei U8100 they did their updates with a single binary file (propably containing pretty much the same stuff) where everything was packed up with checksums and stuff. It was possible to exctract files from it but at least back then no one had figured out how to assemble one that could be flashed. Things might have changed since then though. The ZTE roms have partition tables in two places (appsboot.mbn and partition_zte.mbn) and they are specified wit offsets and sizes. All numbers are the number in number of "blocks" and the block size for the ZTE devices are 0x20000 (128kb). The block size can been seen doing cat /proc/mtd (it's called erase size).

If you can find something similar you may be able to hexedit and flash it.

Guest rangatangaa

after updating to 2011-07-11 i noticed i couldn't apply a wallpaper anymore.

small bug but very frustrating nevertheless.

also while downloading/installing apps from the market my V9 sometimes crash's.

EDIT

disregard this. somehow installing the custom 300mb apps partition let it work again.. (most likely a falt on my side of the fence)

thanks for the amazing rom :D

Edited by rangatangaa

Guest forforum

I'm aware that we need to do some kernel hacking but I won't bother until I have something to test.

Sven Killig did it for the 2.6.29 blade kernel and also for the Nexus 2.6.32 kernel so all we need should be possible to find here: http://sven.killig.d...1/2.2/usb_host/

You can clone my repo, I push my changes when I add something useful so it's usually up to date.

I compiled the kernel with the necessary settings, but "fastboot boot zimage'" failed to reboot the V9. According to fastboot, the image was downloaded to the V9, and boot command issued. Could it be the kernel base address need to be changed? I tried not to specify the base address and also 0x03000000. Any help?

Guest kallt_kaffe

I compiled the kernel with the necessary settings, but "fastboot boot zimage'" failed to reboot the V9. According to fastboot, the image was downloaded to the V9, and boot command issued. Could it be the kernel base address need to be changed? I tried not to specify the base address and also 0x03000000. Any help?

I don't think that method works on the V9. Use the AHB overclocking addon and replace the zImage in the kernel-gen2 folder and flash it instead. Make sure you are using Clockwork v4.0.0.8 so that you can boot into recovery with volume-down (in case it does not boot).

Guest kallt_kaffe

1. How do I get flash working I can't even seem to download it anymore from teh market place.

Flash isn't officially supported by the CPU in the V9/Light but there is a hacked version available. Google for Flash and ARM6.

2. Why has my battery life gone out the window, even in standby It seems to eat up 25% overnight

This should be fixed in the 2011-07-15 version.

Guest borepig

Thank you. The link as to how to use pinch to zoom is done. Is it possible to post a short clip to tell us how to use it. Try OC to 844, it's not very stable. 825 for me. One more thing, Galaxy S has UV that can change the volt that can potentially improve stability, not sure how hard it is to port it over. But anyway, the best rom for ZTE v9.

Guest ZaphodB69

Thanks for the work done and this thread! Finally have it all up and working apart from 1 thing - Widgets.

I've installed a couple - mainly a calendar, gmail and days until but none of them show up when I long press on the screen and select widgets.

Is this a problem with CM7 or just me? (suspect me lol)

Guest Gaz14

Thanks for the work done and this thread! Finally have it all up and working apart from 1 thing - Widgets.

I've installed a couple - mainly a calendar, gmail and days until but none of them show up when I long press on the screen and select widgets.

Is this a problem with CM7 or just me? (suspect me lol)

Did you do a full wipe/factory reset and fix permissions after flashing?

Sent from CM7 V9 using Tapatalk

Guest Gaz14

Flash isn't officially supported by the CPU in the V9/Light but there is a hacked version available. Google for Flash and ARM6

Installed the hacked flash had most flash games working and the flash test site confirmed I had flash install so it's working haven't fully tested it to see how good it is yet

Sent from CM7 V9 using Tapatalk

Guest kallt_kaffe

Thank you. The link as to how to use pinch to zoom is done. Is it possible to post a short clip to tell us how to use it

If someone wants to do a video demonstration of the "slide-zoom" and post it on youtube (or similar) then I'd be happy to link to it.

Try OC to 844, it's not very stable. 825 for me.

One of my tablets is stable at 825 and almost stable at 844. The other one I haven't tested that much but it reboots if I go over 800 so I settled for 748.

One more thing, Galaxy S has UV that can change the volt that can potentially improve stability, not sure how hard it is to port it over. But anyway, the best rom for ZTE v9.

Assuming UV means undervolting it usually has a negative impact on overclocking but could increase battery life. I think I did a test kernel for blade that was undervolted but I'm not sure if the difference in battery was measurable.