Beginners/Non techie guide to installing Vegacomb

Guest beepo666

Guest taschenwolf

Hi,

great work and easy to understand but I got stuck when trying to use AUDI with XP home.

I got error message that I must logged on as administrator, but I can not log in as administrator but I got admin rights with my account. Any idea suggestion how to solve?

Thanks and regards!

Guest Yequan

Even tried to install the Audi R8 are given the same error. Used to work fine .. work now. ADB has been updated SDK will not help. Google to provide any clues. Has released thread in despair.

Guest simonta
Even tried to install the Audi R8 are given the same error. Used to work fine .. work now. ADB has been updated SDK will not help. Google to provide any clues. Has released thread in despair.

Don't use the SDK drivers. Use the ones included with AUDI, or just let AUDI install automatically - it will use the correct drivers.

Guest ThomasAstor
OSX is an interesting one as Advent only provide flashing to stock roms for Windows machines, unless I'm mistaken. Actually flashing new roms other than stock is lovely on OSX, it just seems to work every time for me. Once I find a way to flash to stock I'll do a guide for you.

Hi

Now would be a great time to find a way to flash the stock rom the the vega. :D

After explaining in another thread about bricking my vega after flashing Corvus5, Fuji, Vegacomb and trying to re-install Corvus5, my Vega get stuck on the blue grid5. I get the 2 penguins twice, but it keeps rebooting after a while being on the blue grid.

I have been told to flash the stock rom, but cant really find a way to do it. OSX.

Virtual way is not as simple for me and I dont know any window users.

So you help could be really welcome :D

Guest beepo666

I'm working on it, not there yet though. I think we just need to unpack the exe file for the stock rom, it's a self extracting zip file. Then use one of the mac based installer scripts to do it.

I've not tried yet as I'm building a house in the middle of nowhere, plus coding up something funky for my website (it will take over the world one day)

Also in draft is a completely non technical guide to setting up Link2SD so you don't run out of space on you shiny Vega when you install something like vegacomb.

Thanks again for all the great comments. I'll try to get more up asap. :-)

Guest ThomasAstor
I'm working on it, not there yet though. I think we just need to unpack the exe file for the stock rom, it's a self extracting zip file. Then use one of the mac based installer scripts to do it.

I'll try to get more up asap. :-)

It would be really helpful to many to be able to flash the stock rom on OS X in a simple similar way as the window users.

I will have to wait for your kindness and willinness :D to do it.

Virtualbox was maybe an option, but too complicated for me.

In the mean time, no Vega for me. I've been a naughty boy...

Guest beepo666

Virtualbox doesn't work, I've tried it many already. I was a naughty boy as well and completely nerfed my Vega while away from my main hotel, I went to Cambodia for a while. I only had my MacBook with me having left the Dell netbook in the safe back 'home'. Fear not, I'll do something very soon.

If you really want to try something you could use BootCamp to run a Windows partition. That should work as it will have full access to the usb ports etc. VirtualBox just doesn't want to play nice and throws errors about unrecognized usb devices.

Off-topic - if you want a virtualbox guide let me know :D

Guest ThomasAstor
Virtualbox doesn't work, I've tried it many already. I was a naughty boy as well and completely nerfed my Vega while away from my main hotel, I went to Cambodia for a while. I only had my MacBook with me having left the Dell netbook in the safe back 'home'. Fear not, I'll do something very soon.

If you really want to try something you could use BootCamp to run a Windows partition. That should work as it will have full access to the usb ports etc. VirtualBox just doesn't want to play nice and throws errors about unrecognized usb devices.

Off-topic - if you want a virtualbox guide let me know :D

I will wait for your return.

I have the Virtualbox guide 3.1 since last night. :D

As for running Bootcamp, I would still need Windows, dont have it and dont want Windows staff on my macs.

I was thinking of being cheeky and try to have it re-install at the counter of PCWorld as they dont offer the choice for mac users. Worth a try. Once but not in the long time.

Thanks again.

Guest smellycox
Hi all,

Sorry if this topic is in the wrong place, feel free to delete or move should it be.

I've just finished part 3 of a blog series to help complete newcomers flash their Vega to the awesome Vegacomb rom.

So far this includes details on such gems as...

• AUDI (Simonta rocks!)
  • Super Simple Recovery Installer (Add.theBad rocks!)
  • VegaComb - (Newbe & Corvus rock!)

The focus is obviously around getting the ROM installed but I've given enough preamble to hopefully give less experienced users some helpful pointers.

Essentially I'm hoping someone will get some mileage out of this. I've tried to keep the writing style as non-technical as possible to help anyone who has been struggling. If there's good feedback I'll keep going and try to cover developments in the community, so please do let me know what you think. Either here or via comments in the blog would be fine. I'd much appreciate it.

If it helps you in any way, I'll be very happy. After all, who wants to have an Advent Vega and only ever use the stock rom? :D

Updated - Non-technical guide to installing roms on your Advent Vega (fixed link, working now!)

Now covers AUDI, The Super Simple Recovery Installer, Flashing back to a Stock ROM.

Guest smellycox

I am mega-impressed with myself for managing to flash this (I am the local village idiot when it comes to software updates) - working great so far - but am in awe of those of you who have written the ROM and all the add-on bits. This is a fantastic guide which is easy to follow even without screen-shots. V. Chuffed with my new, updated vega!! Thank you to everyone involved.

Guest rosiekatie

hiya beepo and anyone else who might be able to help me? i bought my vega with preinstalled r8. im very happy with it but doesnt seem to work correctlywith pinball guitar hero ect..is it worth me trying to install the vegacomb version ? or should i just try to install corvus5? also would this beginners guide help me to install corvus5? plz can someone direct a newby or give simple step by step instructions ? :o :( i would love to have a mess with the roms but im so scared oflosing what i already have and messing up lol...any advise would be great plz?? thanks :D :D

Guest premieral
hiya beepo and anyone else who might be able to help me? i bought my vega with preinstalled r8. im very happy with it but doesnt seem to work correctlywith pinball guitar hero ect..is it worth me trying to install the vegacomb version ? or should i just try to install corvus5? also would this beginners guide help me to install corvus5? plz can someone direct a newby or give simple step by step instructions ? :( :D i would love to have a mess with the roms but im so scared oflosing what i already have and messing up lol...any advise would be great plz?? thanks :D :D

cant help with whether the roms would help you play guitar hero as i havent seen it or tried it ,but to make sure you never lose what you have is very simple.

check you have clockwork mod installed or rom manager. if you have ,reboot into clockwork recovery and make a full backup of your system from the options, then if you ever want to get back to this you just restore this backup ( bit like a windows recovery point really ).

If you dont have clockwork mod or rom manager installed i found it easiest to install with solidares vegatools which is the simplest and most useful bit of kit i found when i first got my vega. This should be downloaded onto your pc then follow instructions but basically you just connect the vega to your pc in usb debug mode then click on the option to install paul o briens recovery and clockwork mod. Once you have this installed flashing roms will be soooo simple you will be doing it every day :o and it can be done direct from the vega no more pc required.

good luck let us know how you get on

al

Guest rosiekatie
cant help with whether the roms would help you play guitar hero as i havent seen it or tried it ,but to make sure you never lose what you have is very simple.

check you have clockwork mod installed or rom manager. if you have ,reboot into clockwork recovery and make a full backup of your system from the options, then if you ever want to get back to this you just restore this backup ( bit like a windows recovery point really ).

If you dont have clockwork mod or rom manager installed i found it easiest to install with solidares vegatools which is the simplest and most useful bit of kit i found when i first got my vega. This should be downloaded onto your pc then follow instructions but basically you just connect the vega to your pc in usb debug mode then click on the option to install paul o briens recovery and clockwork mod. Once you have this installed flashing roms will be soooo simple you will be doing it every day :D and it can be done direct from the vega no more pc required.

good luck let us know how you get on

al

hiya premieral :D thanks so much for your quick helpful reply :o ..ive downloaded the vegatools but i cant see how to put it in debug mode? i can see susb host and usb slave?

Guest premieral
hiya premieral :D thanks so much for your quick helpful reply :D ..ive downloaded the vegatools but i cant see how to put it in debug mode? i can see susb host and usb slave?

Sorry i wasnt very specific was i , debugging is done on the vega, go to settings/applications/development i think and then just tick the box marked usb debugging.

then run vega tools with the vega connected to your pc.

from memory when debugging is enabled in r8 rom you get a little beetle or bug icon in the status bar so once you see that you are good to go.

Guest rosiekatie
Sorry i wasnt very specific was i , debugging is done on the vega, go to settings/applications/development i think and then just tick the box marked usb debugging.

then run vega tools with the vega connected to your pc.

from memory when debugging is enabled in r8 rom you get a little beetle or bug icon in the status bar so once you see that you are good to go.

i did it!!! whoooooooo :D) thanks to prime for getting me started :D i followed the guide thanks so much for fantastic help guide :o is the vegacombe working functional wifi ect? should i wait a bit longer? thanks again :(

Guest ThomasAstor

I went to PCWorld and the techy guy did flash the stock Rom with AUDI. After downloading it, he realized it was already on his desktop.

ANyway, I can go back and have done again I suppose, not to often though ;)

In the mean time, I tried to flash Corvus5 but it does look strange. And the SD card wont load. I did a back up on Titanium but nothing. And Titanium did not appear in C5.

So I restore the stock rom and got all my apps back. Strange.

Will try again.

Guest simonta
I went to PCWorld and the techy guy did flash the stock Rom with AUDI. After downloading it, he realized it was already on his desktop.

ANyway, I can go back and have done again I suppose, not to often though ;)

In the mean time, I tried to flash Corvus5 but it does look strange. And the SD card wont load. I did a back up on Titanium but nothing. And Titanium did not appear in C5.

So I restore the stock rom and got all my apps back. Strange.

Will try again.

PC World are using AUDI? Dog nabbit. I should have made it payware :P

Guest premieral

If PC World are using it does that mean you are now officially a "partner" of DSG, if so can you get me discount ;)

Guest premieral
i did it!!! whoooooooo :P) thanks to prime for getting me started :D i followed the guide thanks so much for fantastic help guide :D is the vegacombe working functional wifi ect? should i wait a bit longer? thanks again :D

Wifi works great but a few things dont, however if you have made a back up in clockwork mod you can flash any of the new roms and always get back to your working position with a restore so try them out , i flick between cm7, vegacomb ( current since last night again!) and corvus5. My total fave is CM7 because it is most complete and has working geolocation so my weather apps can track me ( sad i know but it keeps me happy ;) ) however the market forgets my settings which annoys me!! Corvus5 works in virtually every department except geolocation so i just cant be pleased :D

Glad to hear you got it ready to go so have fun

Guest ThomasAstor

I believe the techy guy was more surprised than myself. Only means than some other guy had the need to re-flash the stock rom.

I must say the guy knew what he was doing. It took more time to download the drivers/roms than re-flash them.

Just before I left, he said that too many people were not grateful enough considering that all these Roms were created for free, yet were still complaining about them.

Last word, I am on XDA, he said ;)

Edited by ThomasAstor

Guest beepo666
PC World are using AUDI? Dog nabbit. I should have made it payware ;)

Ha ha, yeah or licence it to them as a tool - OR - try to contact them and bundle up a set of tools on a CD with every new Vega. I could write up the instructions for it and we could take royalties.... :P

Anyway, I'm really glad people are getting use from the guide and congratulations if you've tried it and have a spanking new rom and an idea of how to do it all.

I really am trying to get more guides up but real life is dragging me away. I'm building my own house right now and we managed to sleep in it for the first time yesterday, only thing was I found a scorpion on the bedroom wall so didn't sleep much haha.

Just to inspire me a little, would anyone want a guide showing how to set up Link2SD? This would allow you to put a whole load more apps on at once as it will use your SD ram card for system storage. Let me know (here or twitter) and I'll finish that one off first.

Edited by beepo666

Guest beepo666

I've reworked the site a little more and stickied a post linking to all my tutorials and Advent wafflings. Also upped a few more tutorials. More to come still.