Charging only Micro USB Cable

Guest Niks10

Guest Maringer

I use my old HTC charger (1 Amp) from my previous phone without any problems whatsoever. Due to the higher amperage, it also charges more quickly than the stock ZTE charger.

I also bought a dual-port HTC car charger which does the job perfectly well when travelling and can still charge the phone even if I'm using satnav on it.

This is the model of charger I have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Charger-Em.../dp/B003PCAR3U/

However, I understand HTC have a newer and more compact model available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-HTC-TC-B25.../dp/B004AVR738/

I assume that both of the links above are pointing to genuine HTC products - I wouldn't worry about the moaning in the reviews about the provenance of the MicroUSB cables. A cable is a cable, after all.

Guest PeteBest

If you want a charging cable only I found THIS one at DealExtreme to be good. All of the 10 charging points only have power, no data. Charges everything I've thrown at it (although it says not more than 1 device at a time)

• 4 months later...
Guest JungleNoli

bought one and I can tell you they DON'T.

Thanks for letting us know - that's too bad :(

And apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

I'm in the same quandary - looking for a replacement USB full speed charging cable. I still don't really understand how it all works. A lot of people are saying the data pins (equiv) can be shorted in the charger itself but if that was the case then the charger would have come like that because it would mean that any USB cables could then be used. So it has to be shorted in the USB cable itself. I have also noticed faster charging from the PC USB port when the proper cable is used as opposed to a generic USB replacement. I am also having the same issue with an Acer Liquid Metal I now have but I really need a new cable so I can sell the Blade and I don't trust ebay seller which under "USB cable ZTE blade" as they just write that for those who don't know the difference...

Painful. Any postings of where to source genuine shorted USB cables that charge at full speed would be really appreciated! Thks

I'm in the same quandary - looking for a replacement USB full speed charging cable. I still don't really understand how it all works. A lot of people are saying the data pins (equiv) can be shorted in the charger itself but if that was the case then the charger would have come like that because it would mean that any USB cables could then be used. So it has to be shorted in the USB cable itself. I have also noticed faster charging from the PC USB port when the proper cable is used as opposed to a generic USB replacement. I am also having the same issue with an Acer Liquid Metal I now have but I really need a new cable so I can sell the Blade and I don't trust ebay seller which under "USB cable ZTE blade" as they just write that for those who don't know the difference...

Painful. Any postings of where to source genuine shorted USB cables that charge at full speed would be really appreciated! Thks

I don't follow the logic that it has to be shorted in the cable - how could data lines be shorted in the USB cable as standard? That wouldn't work as a USB cable. My ZTE cable works with the charger and shows AC on charging status but also works with PC as a data cable - also while showing USB charging status.

In my experience, a 3rd party USB micro cable can be used. Perhaps the other one(s) you tried did not make good contact or your phone micro USB socket has been 'stressed'? Or your charger is faulty or not a ZTE original?

BTW charging speed with USB ports could be limited by the amount of current that a port is able to deliver which may explain variable charging rates if different ports were used?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest philvrs

I've noticed this too.

When charging using the original cable to USB, its approx. 10x faster charging than with a 99p generic cable to the same USB port on my laptop.

I thought the cables would be same, but i think not. ( and haven't got a clue why?)

EDIT: Used my generic 99p cable with the mains charger (shows as AC charging) but only charges slowly like when connected to a USB port.

My conclusion is my 99p bargain cables were a waste of money, maybe the 5th pin is wired incorrectly in the micro end of the cable, i'm not sure yet, but i will test/butcher one soon to find out.

Edited by philvrs