Should I buy this phone?

Guest dannyblade

Guest themighysquitt
You won't be disappointed!

Flibblesan has just sold his desire to get one of these at the end of the month too!

So expect a ROM from him in the near future ;)

Great stuff he did some good things for the SF in the past :P !!

Guest jeddy1
For those who are still asking a lot of questions, That-Guy you should redirect them to the Ultimate guide and have a section called recommendation from various owners.

I will give my opinion.

The Huawei U8800, have great value in it. Firstly they have added 2nd generation of scorpion CPU, the same as in Desire Z. Next up they added the Adreno 205, which houses on a Desire HD. Thus giving it the google experience, 720p recording and playback plus flash 10.1(You can use 10.3 works flawless). You get a 3.8 inch capacitive screen with multi-touch functions(2 fingers is what the digitizer can handle), allowing pinch to zoom functions and etc.The screen is unfortunately not coated with anti-fat resistance, thus will be somewhat greasy after usage but not a problem. The screen is using a high end LCD screen, not SLCD but still better than most at the same price range. The screen has a resolution of 480x800 thus is called WVGA. The Phone has 4 capacitive buttons, starting from left return,menu,home,search button. The buttons have fair response and they have back lighten them thus allowing you to see the buttons in dark places. The stock rom in-depending of land area, have a great stability it comes with vanilla(clean - fairly) Froyo - 2.2.1. There are some minor problems such as wifi-connection/blackscreen/freezes/shuttering; however don't let these be the biases for the decision. As Huawei allows their user to manually upgrade firmware and recover old ones easily you have full control of always getting the best out of your phone...

As for gaming, most people are only concerned about getting Angry birds working... But I can confirm to you guys you can play the most modern games for android and emulators, Snes, Genesis, gameboy and n64 all of those works flawlessly with the Huawei U8800.

Lastly the battery time, I have been trying out, my stock rom B133 have been running actively with 100% brightness and wifi on plus 3G and browsing, listening music, it holds up for a straight 7 hours before crying for a recharge. But while being nice to it and having am moderate usage it can last for 2 days before a needed recharge.

If anyone have more questions that they "NEED" to get answered; ask it here !

* Pros.

- Great value

- Growing community

- Has the google experience

- Lots of firmware updates ready for you

- Great potential grow

* Cons.

- Small community.

- No Gingerbread in sight at the moment.

- Few touchpoints(2 only, as the digitizer can't handle more)

- Speakers sound terrible when volume is too high

i would go to a SPA for finger-massage after writing all that ;)

Guest jeddy1
Great stuff he did some good things for the SF in the past ;) !!

also for t-mobile pulse u8220 by huawei

he did a great fast and stable 2.1 rom for it!

Guest jeddy1
Yep I'm sure am!! I ain't got the cash for it yet but I've someone owed me some money, hopefully I'll get that back soon!!

and i am waiting for the skate (which means sh*t in greek ;) ) to see whats about it bec i love that screen size and design also but if it doesnt go to much for costumizations and specs plus the prccesor +if suupporting flash or not but from what i´ve read it does, otherwise i am gone buy the IDEOS X5 for sure!

Edited by jeddy1

Guest Simon O
You won't be disappointed!

Flibblesan has just sold his desire to get one of these at the end of the month too!

So expect a ROM from him in the near future :P

News travels fast ;)

But yep I'll be working on a custom rom as soon as I have a U8800. Will need a couple of weeks to get to grips with things but I'll definitely get something released. Paul sadly doesn't have the time to work on this device so I'll be doing it :D

As for newer roms, gingerbread etc, I know HCDRJacob is going to get one of these devices soon also. If you don't know him, he's one of the two people that ported CyanogenMod 7 to the ZTE Blade and he certainly knows his stuff. There is already a semi working rom at XDA based on CM7 so the both of us will be looking at this code, cleaning it up, improving upon it and getting it merged as an official port.

I won't miss my Desire. I didn't really get on with it and as I know that the Desire Z is as fast as the old Desire, I'm expecting the U8800 to be quite similar due to very close specs to the Desire Z. Also snapdragon CPUs are quite overclockable :D

Guest Simon O
and i am waiting for the skate (which means sh*t in greek ;) ) to see whats about it bec i love that screen size and design also but if it doesnt go to much for costumizations and specs plus the prccesor +if suupporting flash or not but from what i´ve read it does, otherwise i am gone buy the IDEOS X5 for sure!

The ZTE Skates processor does not support Flash. It's a MSM7227 turbo - an 800MHz version of the chip in the ZTE Blade - which is only ARM6/ARM11. Compared to the U8800 it's last years technology.

Guest That-Guy
News travels fast ;)

But yep I'll be working on a custom rom as soon as I have a U8800. Will need a couple of weeks to get to grips with things but I'll definitely get something released. Paul sadly doesn't have the time to work on this device so I'll be doing it :P

As for newer roms, gingerbread etc, I know HCDRJacob is going to get one of these devices soon also. If you don't know him, he's one of the two people that ported CyanogenMod 7 to the ZTE Blade and he certainly knows his stuff. There is already a semi working rom at XDA based on CM7 so the both of us will be looking at this code, cleaning it up, improving upon it and getting it merged as an official port.

I won't miss my Desire. I didn't really get on with it and as I know that the Desire Z is as fast as the old Desire, I'm expecting the U8800 to be quite similar due to very close specs to the Desire Z. Also snapdragon CPUs are quite overclockable :D

Great News Mate :D

Really glad I purchased this phone now!

Guest Cirno
News travels fast ;)

But yep I'll be working on a custom rom as soon as I have a U8800. Will need a couple of weeks to get to grips with things but I'll definitely get something released. Paul sadly doesn't have the time to work on this device so I'll be doing it :P

Are you serious !

Will there be a CM7 mod for the U8800, I mean what sudden change of mood made people look into the thought :D?

Guest That-Guy
Are you serious !

Will there be a CM7 mod for the U8800, I mean what sudden change of mood made people look into the thought ;)?

Yes and eventually will be an official CM7 :P

I think Paul's review started everything off with this phone (that's why I purchased it) :D

Guest Cirno
Yes and eventually will be an official CM7 ;)

I think Paul's review started everything off with this phone (that's why I purchased it) :P

Link to it?