Advent - exciting news

Guest Blue Gas

Guest Bunjit
The sweet spot? Advent Vega V2 with Tegra 250, Honeycomb at £250 on the shelves before 1st November to avoid last years fiasco.

So DSG care to comment I know you read this forum!

Jacobyte

PS please lets have a decent screen and fix the power supply!

I think you are more on the money, but the Vega 2 (depending on the spec) may have to do even better than that on release date and price as I would probably go for the Thrive/Archos if your predictions are true.

If you are serisouly looking at buying a Vega and do any level of research will be lead to this forum, and see the assumptions of it being pulled. Even if it comes back in stock, sales will be hurt to some extent. There are already a few new posters in this boat, and for every poster there will be 20 lurkers - all looking elsewhere.

So radio silence from DSG seem like damage limitation for now, but like their competitors - they need to whet it's target audience's appetite and quickly to keep their attention imho.

Guest Jacobyte

All,

After more investigation it appears the next wave of Shuttle products will be using Android 2.3 and this would line up with Google's policy on only curretnly giving Android 3.0 to select manufacturers.

So whats DSG to do?

They could

1) Rebadge another main stream (HTC/Toshiba) manufacturers tablet which does have Honeycomb. Hard to see how DSG would make money out of this as they would have to sell it at more or less the same price as the main brands.

2) Use the Shuttle n10CN13 with Android 2.3 but it would be a hard sell against competing products with Honeycomb at Xmas 2011.

3) Use the Shuttle n10CN13 with Android 2.3 and take a calulated risk that the ROM guys will have resolved the issues with Vegacomb and pray thats sufficient to drive sales.

4) Shuttle between now and August get a licence from Google for Honeycomb. If this was likley we would have seen Press releases from Shuttle trumpeting such an agreement.

None of the choices are easy ones....

Jacobyte

Guest William.B.Chunks
well i dont think the vega is going end of line as there is over 3000 due in 2 weeks into dixons retail stores.

Can I ask how you know this?

I've been trying hard to source one !!

Guest Kevrae

I work for dixons retail in a branch and recieved an update about stock.

ps they havent said anything about the exciting news to store colleagues hence why im here contributing to the rumer mill.

Guest Jacobyte

All,

Actually I initally thought November for the end of the sell buy date for the Advent Vega.

However, The Archos G9 Tablets ships in September with Honeycomb.. They seem to have everything except their chip platform is OMAP4.

Archos G9

The Toshiba Thrive

This is on pre-order in the States ... Its Tegra , Front & Back Camera's and all the stuff the n10CN13 has.

Based on the above DSG needs the Advent Vega 2 at th eend of the summer.

Jacobyte

Guest William.B.Chunks
I work for dixons retail in a branch and recieved an update about stock.

Thanks for the info. Feel free to let us all know when they turn up !! :)

Guest Richyvrlimited

Same here all the Currys local to me are out of stock.

Someone else commented in them not wanting current Vegas to stop selling, if they want that to happen they need to get some in-stores first!

Guest ViPaSoft
All,

Actually I initally thought November for the end of the sell buy date for the Advent Vega.

However, The Archos G9 Tablets ships in September with Honeycomb.. They seem to have everything except their chip platform is OMAP4.

Archos G9

The Toshiba Thrive

This is on pre-order in the States ... Its Tegra , Front & Back Camera's and all the stuff the n10CN13 has.

Based on the above DSG needs the Advent Vega 2 at th eend of the summer.

Jacobyte

With regards to Archos G9. I've owned 2 Archos tablets and came from the Archos 70IT to the Vega. If it's anything like the last two tablet releases, what they say on the press page is far from what is actually released.

Their Gen8 was practically out of date before it was released. Single core processor and 256mb RAM. A shame I didn't know more about these things before I bought one. Don't get me wrong, video playing was excellent, they felt nice and had a decent build quality, but that was about it.

They do get there eventually, but it took from Sept last year to about March this year and I got fed up with waiting for a proper working rom from them, all the updates caused more issues than they fixed. And don't get me started on their customer service....... .

Don't think I'll ever go back to an Archos again, or recommend them to anyone else.

Guest Monleyfish

Someone else commented in them not wanting current Vegas to stop selling, if they want that to happen they need to get some in-stores first!

I bought one on Saturday after much hunting. Flashed CM7 within an hour just to see what it is like - downloaded some nice games - couldnt be more impressed.

If they do bring out a Vega 2 then it would have to be good. Not tried VC yet - waiting for flash to be good. My good news is that I've got one phew.

Guest Kevrae

as i said there are if i remeber rightley 3200 of them due in for distribution late next week or the week after. im sure if anyone truly wanted one just go into any store and put one on forward order, one will be sent into store for your order as soon as they hit the hub.

Guest Richyvrlimited
as i said there are if i remeber rightley 3200 of them due in for distribution late next week or the week after. im sure if anyone truly wanted one just go into any store and put one on forward order, one will be sent into store for your order as soon as they hit the hub.

Good to know, I'm happy to pre-order, was just worried that its lifecycle had finished that's all!

Guest BadMix
its a vega two i asked then they said no chance of vega getting honeycomb so unlucky for us :) check owenoliver1 on twitter

If this is true, I don´t understand how this would be considered "exciting news" because last time I checked, 99% of ppl here already have a tablet device...

Edited by BadMix

If this is true, I don´t understand how this would be considered "exciting news" because last time I checked, 99% of ppl here already have a tablet device...

It's exciting news if you can afford to upgrade to a Vega II , I dunno maybe DSG will have some sort of trade in option ... who knows. As I stated in my previous post, assuming this 'news' was HC coming to Vega, is complete wishful thinking I am afraid.

As I said previously I believe the Vega is coming to the end of its life, its manufacturing life anyway. Within 6 months it will be seriously outdated compared to Kal-El, and it's not going to get anymore official updates thats for sure. (apart from possibly minor bug fixes)

Come on guys lets get real here ... the Vega II is on its way , accept it and move on, either keep your Vega's, upgrade, or buy something else. It's as simple as that.

Guest Jacobyte

I simply dont believe there is a market for any of the new Shuttle products running Android 2.3. Tomorrow's hardware with Yesterdays OS just isnt a customer proposition that will sell.

There are rumours of a major manufacturer trying to get licence from Google but if Archos got one (Not a Tier 1 by any stretch of the imagination) why cant Shuttle?

Obviously David Chen CEO of Shuttle you could always disagree!

So is the good news that Shuttle has a licence?

Guest CoWPlagued
You only have to look at what Kal-El is capable of to see that the Vega days are numbered:

I'd have to disagree with you there, This is just 3d gaming, a small percentage of total use. You would fall into a new set of arguments about gaming at that level, like console and PC gaming, which is better keyboard and mouse or joypad. Here you're limited by the tablet form factor and touch screen.

I'm more than happy with casual games like cut the rope and robo defence. for big cinematic 3d I'll use a large tv or projector and a decent controller. My tablet is a casual device for watching a video or streaming tv, browsing the internet, checking email, and playing casual games. A high end graphics chip would give me nothing more than bragging rights and not effect my usability at all.

Decent stable up to date software that adds functionality would make a big difference, not a high end gfx chip.

Guest WWEpsp
I'd have to disagree with you there, This is just 3d gaming, a small percentage of total use. You would fall into a new set of arguments about gaming at that level, like console and PC gaming, which is better keyboard and mouse or joypad. Here you're limited by the tablet form factor and touch screen.

I'm more than happy with casual games like cut the rope and robo defence. for big cinematic 3d I'll use a large tv or projector and a decent controller. My tablet is a casual device for watching a video or streaming tv, browsing the internet, checking email, and playing casual games. A high end graphics chip would give me nothing more than bragging rights and not effect my usability at all.

Decent stable up to date software that adds functionality would make a big difference, not a high end gfx chip.

You have a point, actually tablets are for what they are: emails,browser,videos, music, documents, etc.

But think about it... HoneyComb 3.1 (that means xbox 360/ps3 controller) + cool games like gameloft do, or even actually those graphics can substitute portable devices like NDS or PSP or definitely substitute PC gaming in a future, imagine Black Ops with full online experience right on your "backpack"/"pocket", thats a f*cking big plus to a tablet. The only 2 bad thinsg about all this stuff is money, maybe the "new" NVIDIA chipset is too expensive and of course the screen size, but we got HDMI adaptors dont we?

Anyway lets wake up LOL...

Well I dont agree with you there Im afraid ... :)

Of course Kal-El gives you more powerful 3d gaming, but it wont just get used for that. Quad cores will allow much more smoother, faster web browsing for example, it will allow for a much more smoother OS in general, with newer launcher options that we haven't even thought of yet. Kal-El isn't just about 3d gaming. You could make the same argument with the Tegra2 chipset as well if you really wanted to.

In the end newer devices will have more cores, and faster clock speeds thats how things progress in the world of computing. Looking at Kal-el as just better 3d games is a very narrow viewpoint.

There is only so far you are going to be able to push the Vega, thats just the way it is. At some point Google will bring out another new OS (ICS), which will probably need a minimum spec that the Vega wont have. So what are you going to do at that point? Carry on with your out of date device? I don't think so.

Guest Remington Steale
So what are you going to do at that point? Carry on with your out of date device? I don't think so.

Give my Vega to my kids and buy a new tablet, same as everyone else will, hopefully the price mark will be around the same level.

Like it or not, everything made as a consumer electronic device has built in obsolescence.

Guest xathras
Give my Vega to my kids and buy a new tablet, same as everyone else will, hopefully the price mark will be around the same level.

Like it or not, everything made as a consumer electronic device has built in obsolescence.

Too right. I've got an ancient AMD Sempron lurking in my cellar (actual age unknown) which still works fine as a Linux server.

Guest Remington Steale
Too right. I've got an ancient AMD Sempron lurking in my cellar (actual age unknown) which still works fine as a Linux server.

Aaahhhh, Moores Law, how that makes me laugh

Guest WWEpsp
Well I dont agree with you there Im afraid ... :)

Of course Kal-El gives you more powerful 3d gaming, but it wont just get used for that. Quad cores will allow much more smoother, faster web browsing for example, it will allow for a much more smoother OS in general, with newer launcher options that we haven't even thought of yet. Kal-El isn't just about 3d gaming. You could make the same argument with the Tegra2 chipset as well if you really wanted to.

In the end newer devices will have more cores, and faster clock speeds thats how things progress in the world of computing. Looking at Kal-el as just better 3d games is a very narrow viewpoint.

There is only so far you are going to be able to push the Vega, thats just the way it is. At some point Google will bring out another new OS (ICS), which will probably need a minimum spec that the Vega wont have. So what are you going to do at that point? Carry on with your out of date device? I don't think so.

if they want to release a general OS for tablets, google tv and of course mobile phone they have to do it without minimum specs.

Anyway, i think i read Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich wont have any kind of specs restrinction.

Guest wobblydoggy

hmmm imho gpu will not be relevant with the aadvances maade in cloud gaming such as onlive with servers running incredible graphics and streaming them to your device, you can already play games such as just cause 2 wih ultra graphics on very very basic netbooks and soon this will be available on tablets/phones. kal-el will improve function but i think media will soon be all streamed through the net at incredible quality with the only limiting factors being the pixel count on screens and broadband speed. we could easily be playing black ops on the vega with incredible graphics next year should your broadband allow it. this will enable the vega to be much more than it is now, for me it will be an alright 10.1 inch screen and im happy with that, already had my moneys worth

Edited by wobblydoggy

Guest rferrett

See I really don't know about that. For me that technology will only be a niche thing whilst internet connectivity is so uneven, and frankly in so many places, rubbish. If everywhere in the world was like South Korea then maybe. But actually in a lot of the really big markets FTTH and LTE are light years away from having massive market penetration and that for me means frankly people are still going to want to rely on their tech to do heavy lifting.

Maybe in 15-20 years time.....