Advent - exciting news

Guest Blue Gas

Guest derffie

Sorry if I offend... but this thread has just been my favourite source of vega silliness....

gotta love the rumour mill!

post-878732-1309983810_thumb.png

Guest simonta
Sorry if I offend... but this thread has just been my favourite source of vega silliness....

Did you do that cartoon? Skillz bud. I love it.

Guest derffie
Did you do that cartoon? Skillz bud. I love it.

cheers dude.

wasn't sure wether to put the vega in the bin or give it to ''her who shall be obeyed". I think the bin was a kinder option.. :)

Guest warriorscot

In terms of games even as is the tegra tablets are all far more powerful than any handheld going the PSP and NDS are pretty underwhelming in comparison it would be closer to compare it with a Wii or probably more like a 360 which actually doesn't have a lot of power at all.

Gameloft games are pretty over rated generally and have pretty low system requirements when compared to something like dungeon defenders or Samurai 2.

Guest Panayioti

Did you do this on the vega because if you did its amazing but even on computer still good :)

Guest derffie
Did you do this on the vega because if you did its amazing but even on computer still good :)

Dude, use fresco, awesome app.... hadda to some photoshop tweeks but yeah vega rocks my art dude!

Guest HypoTurtle
hmmm imho gpu will not be relevant with the aadvances maade in cloud gaming such as onlive with servers running incredible graphics and streaming them to your device, you can already play games such as just cause 2 wih ultra graphics on very very basic netbooks and soon this will be available on tablets/phones. kal-el will improve function but i think media will soon be all streamed through the net at incredible quality with the only limiting factors being the pixel count on screens and broadband speed. we could easily be playing black ops on the vega with incredible graphics next year should your broadband allow it. this will enable the vega to be much more than it is now, for me it will be an alright 10.1 inch screen and im happy with that, already had my moneys worth

At least there's someone else in this rumour mill with my way of thinking.

(I mentioned this last week - page 10)

Once clouds of different types and functions get set up, I can see hardware being needed only to connect and manage multiple cloud connections and for offline applications, and for all intents and purposes netbooks and tablets are generally created for essentially constant online use, so the argument of hardware being outdated is moot.

Guest xathras
At least there's someone else in this rumour mill with my way of thinking.

(I mentioned this last week - page 10)

Once clouds of different types and functions get set up, I can see hardware being needed only to connect and manage multiple cloud connections and for offline applications, and for all intents and purposes netbooks and tablets are generally created for essentially constant online use, so the argument of hardware being outdated is moot.

What are clouds? Wispy, insubstantial things that disappear as you watch them! Ask Sony users.

if they want to release a general OS for tablets, google tv and of course mobile phone they have to do it without minimum specs.

Anyway, i think i read Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich wont have any kind of specs restrinction.

Im sorry but that doesn't make sense , everything has a minimum spec, regardless of what it is. Everything uses a certain amount of RAM and a certain amount of CPU its as simple as that.

I would EXPECT ICS to need at least 1GB of RAM to run properly. Google may have offically stated that there is no 'minimum spec' but that doesn't mean that HC and ICS will run on anything. All it means is that Google wont stop you trying to run it on anything. For example you try running HC on a device with 256MB of RAM. It may be possible to run it, is it usable? no ...

It's like saying I am going to run Windows 7 on my ten year old PC with 512MB of RAM. It wont stop me installing it, but it will run like a dog, with three legs, and a bad case of asthma.

In the end EVERYTHING has a minimum spec regardless of what a company says, Google are not restricting people from trying to get newer versions of Android on older devices, as they know the modding community will try it anyway. Technically the Vega shouldn't be able to run HC, but it does very well. Will it be able to run ICS? We don't know that yet, but personally I don't think it will myself.

Guest wobblydoggy
Im sorry but that doesn't make sense , everything has a minimum spec, regardless of what it is. Everything uses a certain amount of RAM and a certain amount of CPU its as simple as that.

I would EXPECT ICS to need at least 1GB of RAM to run properly. Google may have offically stated that there is no 'minimum spec' but that doesn't mean that HC and ICS will run on anything. All it means is that Google wont stop you trying to run it on anything. For example you try running HC on a device with 256MB of RAM. It may be possible to run it, is it usable? no ...

It's like saying I am going to run Windows 7 on my ten year old PC with 512MB of RAM. It wont stop me installing it, but it will run like a dog, with three legs, and a bad case of asthma.

In the end EVERYTHING has a minimum spec regardless of what a company says, Google are not restricting people from trying to get newer versions of Android on older devices, as they know the modding community will try it anyway. Technically the Vega shouldn't be able to run HC, but it does very well. Will it be able to run ICS? We don't know that yet, but personally I don't think it will myself.

hate to say this buuuut, servers in the cloud could run ice cream sandwich for you, all you need to be able to do is stream it to your device and interact with it in real time. I know this seems far fetched but the technology is already brewing for this. hardware specs will focus more on the quality of display and the capacity of your wireless network adapter in your device though unfortunately we are limited to wireless g and not wireless N or LTE which is not too good for us. You probably think im talking bull but i have researched this in depth. physical ram on tablets could become a small factor in the next few years, think of them as just running remote desktops which are already running fine on tablets with the only limiting factor being broadband speeds, if you look at googles chromebook this is a perfect example of an OS in the cloud, if you or lose or break your chromebook you just buy another, log on and boom all your apps/data is back in an instant. if google is pioneering this how long do you think it will be until their tablets follow suit. chrome tablets!!!!

....well maybe not ICS but perhaps the following iterations

pps now that apple have jumped on the cloud expect basic consumers to start understanding it and forgetting about all their private data getting constantly hacked, if apple do it then its all gonna be juuuuust fine shh shhhh shhh there there now bend over and embrace stevie j's cloud.

this should start accelerating the process, think of the money that companies will make off cloud servers on a subscription basis, its a massive cash cow. the more we rely on these companies the more they can charge.

Edited by wobblydoggy

Guest simonta
hate to say this buuuut, servers in the cloud could run ice cream sandwich for you, all you need to be able to do is stream it to your device and interact with it in real time. I know this seems far fetched but the technology is already brewing for this. hardware specs will focus more on the quality of display and the capacity of your wireless network adapter in your device though unfortunately we are limited to wireless g and not wireless N or LTE which is not too good for us. You probably think im talking bull but i have researched this in depth. physical ram on tablets could become a small factor in the next few years, think of them as just running remote desktops which are already running fine on tablets with the only limiting factor being broadband speeds, if you look at googles chromebook this is a perfect example of an OS in the cloud, if you or lose or break your chromebook you just buy another, log on and boom all your apps/data is back in an instant. if google is pioneering this how long do you think it will be until their tablets follow suit. chrome tablets!!!!

pps now that apple have jumped on the cloud expect basic consumers to start understanding it and forgetting about all their private data getting constantly hacked, if apple do it then its all gonna be juuuuust fine shh shhhh shhh there there now bend over and embrace stevie j's cloud.

this should start accelerating the process, think of the money that companies will make off cloud servers on a subscription basis, its a massive cash cow. the more we rely on these companies the more they can charge.

I have proprietary source code, customer proposals, company accounts and commercially sensitive data on my various devices. There is a very large gap between my expectations, and those of my customers, of the security I can offer them and that offered by the cloud. There are just too many things that can go wrong. Cloud will be a supplement for many years. It is not currently a solution for other than the most basic requirements. Amazon's recent fun with EC2 and the change in the Dropbox terms and conditions has reaffirmed my belief that we are a long way from ubiqitous cloud computing.

Guest wobblydoggy
I have proprietary source code, customer proposals, company accounts and commercially sensitive data on my various devices. There is a very large gap between my expectations, and those of my customers, of the security I can offer them and that offered by the cloud. There are just too many things that can go wrong. Cloud will be a supplement for many years. It is not currently a solution for other than the most basic requirements. Amazon's recent fun with EC2 and the change in the Dropbox terms and conditions has reaffirmed my belief that we are a long way from ubiqitous cloud computing.

perhaps im getting a bit ahead of myself regarding os, but cloud gaming certainly is close to fruition. as it is not subject to the same security woes.

Edited by wobblydoggy

That's all well and good as long as you have an internet connection. We are not yet in a position technology wise where hi speed wifi internet connections are available everywhere. Eventually most things (gaming, music, movies) will be in the cloud, certainly by the begining of the next decade it will be the norm. However a mobile device is a completely different thing.

We are not there yet, not by a long way and the hardware upgrade cycle is here for sometime yet

Guest phil8715
That's all well and good as long as you have an internet connection. We are not yet in a position technology wise where hi speed wifi internet connections are available everywhere. Eventually most things (gaming, music, movies) will be in the cloud, certainly by the begining of the next decade it will be the norm. However a mobile device is a completely different thing.

We are not there yet, not by a long way and the hardware upgrade cycle is here for sometime yet

Cloud computing is a good idea in essence, but why should I have to pay to access my own files be it music, or apps or whatever? Then there's a privacy issue these cloud servers have to be watertight and made impossible to be hacked.

Unlike the Sony PS3 hacking scandal.

Cloud computing is a good idea in essence, but why should I have to pay to access my own files be it music, or apps or whatever? Then there's a privacy issue these cloud servers have to be watertight and made impossible to be hacked.

Unlike the Sony PS3 hacking scandal.

Totally agree with that ... Im not one for cloud services myself ... The only thing that I use that could be considered a 'cloud' service is Spotify, which for music works fine. But then I also use Steam which is kinda a cloud service too.

Thats the thing there is plenty of stuff out there already which is considered 'cloud' that people are using every day without realising it. It's here to stay and for some stuff its the future (music and films certainly).

Cloud for gaming and for general computing ... I'm still not convinced, in a corporate enviorment yes (citrix for example) , but normal peeps I dont think its required.

Guest Panayioti

Member of modaco has just said in another topic that "Vega discontinued no further stock" which means i think theres a new vega coming or tablet by advent.

Edited by Panayioti

Guest Bunjit
as i said there are if i remeber rightley 3200 of them due in for distribution late next week or the week after. im sure if anyone truly wanted one just go into any store and put one on forward order, one will be sent into store for your order as soon as they hit the hub.

I've also been hearing that from DSG Kevrae, but today they told me the Vega is finito.

Can you give the latest scoop from the inside?

Guest Kevrae

still stand by my original post about stock coming in, have been told stock is due in in week 12 (its now week 10). i will try to get a screen dump of the update but i have to be 100% sure it doesnt contain any other sensitive data first, will try to get that up tomorrow.

Guest Jacobyte

All,

This Press Release from Dixons is interesting.. Dixons Press relase

“At Dixons, we’re expecting demand for tablets to build from September, peaking well ahead of the traditional period in mid-December"

1) Archos & the rest of the compition will have Honeycomb tablets out in September.

2) If Dixons want the Advent Vega brand to survive they need a viable offering with Honeycomb out in September or they essentially miss the boat.

3) The new Shuttle Products will not be ready by then (Based on statements from Shuttle Computex).

Feels like a Vega 1.5 is in the Wind... Same Hardware plus honeycomb could get them through the Xmas period.

Whatever is coming September is when It should be here.

Jacobyte

Guest Bunjit
All,

This Press Release from Dixons is interesting.. Dixons Press relase

“At Dixons, we’re expecting demand for tablets to build from September, peaking well ahead of the traditional period in mid-December"

1) Archos & the rest of the compition will have Honeycomb tablets out in September.

2) If Dixons want the Advent Vega brand to survive they need a viable offering with Honeycomb out in September or they essentially miss the boat.

3) The new Shuttle Products will not be ready by then (Based on statements from Shuttle Computex).

Feels like a Vega 1.5 is in the Wind... Same Hardware plus honeycomb could get them through the Xmas period.

Whatever is coming September is when It should be here.

Jacobyte

Just spotted this, looks lke Vega hardware, but 1GB RAM, 8GB Nandflash & built in 3G

http://dimobile2u.blogspot.com/2011/06/and...30-101inch.html

Claims Honeycomb, but suspiciously it doesn't mention a camera here

Guest Jacobyte

The camera is clearly seen on the video. It looks remarkably similar to an Advent Vega..

If it is made by Shuttle.

1) It means Shuttle has a Honeycomb Licence.

2) The next Advent Vega will be a "1.5" rather than a quantum leap to V2.

Whoever is making it just such a device it would fill the Product Gap Dixons have until the Shuttle's next generation arrives.

Jacobyte

Guest Bunjit
The camera is clearly seen on the video. It looks remarkably similar to an Advent Vega..

5 MP according to the Youtube description

Guest Jacobyte

Its Honeycomb V3 with Flashing working but I wonder if it ships with standard google Apps as the specs mention its ...."Market ready". Although some are shown in the demo.

Based on the above I dont think its Vegacomb. Would be more convinced if it had shown some Flash videos playing. However, the youtube app appears to be working.

Guest winnipeg
Just spotted this, looks lke Vega hardware, but 1GB RAM, 8GB Nandflash & built in 3G

http://dimobile2u.blogspot.com/2011/06/and...30-101inch.html

Claims Honeycomb, but suspiciously it doesn't mention a camera here

Looks very likley.

Improved viewing angles maybe to.

Don't think I will buy from DSG again for a while. Not happy with their marketing / support.