Advent - exciting news

Guest Blue Gas

Guest Remington Steale
Totally agree with that Drat2!

The ACTUAL news is that Newbe5 et al have made a move to buy out DSG, sell off the Vega to Steve Jobsworth and convert all Dixons shop-fronts into high class brothels!...

...allegedly!

;-)

ps, if that really is the case Newbe, can I get discount!??

:)

Nah, his missus would kill him

Guest leemain88
I think Newbe5 more importantly....what everyone wants to know is

..............................................What did you have for dessert ????

lets hope he went for the ice cream sandwich :)

Guest Remington Steale
mmm Sexy Time! :)

Typing in Ice Cream Sandwich on Urban Dictionary gives some interesting responses...............

Guest Panayioti
Nooo, nono, LOL! Man, people read a lot in to what I say, the rumor-mill is hard at work here hu? The NI thing is something that me and the guys at TabletROMS were hoping for, nothing to do with Advent :)

So theres still something to look foward to?

Guest WWEpsp
Ok, im confused :L

the sumarry is:

Paul and Newbe5 met with some Advent guys, and we speculated that they met to talk about upgrading our Vega's to HoneyComb officialy or they just met to talk about a Vega II. Anyway they dont want to say nothing and we are still speculating...

Parallel to this, newbe5 and some guys at TabletRoms.com were looking at some Notion Ink realease of a Honeycomb Rom, so they could get some more stuff for our VegaComb ROM...

Guest Adam:)
the sumarry is:

Paul and Newbe5 met with some Advent guys, and we speculated that they met to talk about upgrading our Vega's to HoneyComb officialy or they just met to talk about a Vega II. Anyway they dont want to say nothing and we are still speculating...

Parallel to this, newbe5 and some guys at TabletRoms.com were looking at some Notion Ink realease of a Honeycomb Rom, so they could get some more stuff for our VegaComb ROM...

right, so basically, the future looks bright :)

Guest Jacobyte

All,

If I seem to remember Paul met with DSG at the start of the year and after much excitement the the good news then was the release of the source code.

I have to say I am very surprised that I still have an Advent Vega I thought it would be over taken within 3 months by one of the Name brands. The fact its still here shows how far behind the android tablet eco system is compared to the IPAD.

So I would suggest the good news is the Advent Vega V2 which will be the main XMAS tablet offering for DSG.

It will be at the same price point as V1 and will contain.

1) Tegra 250

2) 1GB DDR

3) Decent front Facing Camera

4) Same or slightly better back facing camera

5) Improved LCD screen.

6) Honeycomb

8) GPS/Bluetooth/Wireless

Even with these improvements it will not be the real quantum leap that the product needs for it to go mainstream. This will only happen when Google finally ships a decent tablet OS. Which was expected Q1 2011 now we are holding our breaths for Xmas!

Jacobyte

Guest xathras
This may sound a little daft but check this out Linkcould this be exciting news for our vega ?? :-)

No way - never, never, never, never, never. If I'd wanted a non-android device, I'd have bought one! :rolleyes:

But there's no need to panic because this won't happen (how many apps are there in the webOS app store anyway?). Phew! :)

Guest Panayioti
No way - never, never, never, never, never. If I'd wanted a non-android device, I'd have bought one! :rolleyes:

But there's no need to panic because this won't happen (how many apps are there in the webOS app store anyway?). Phew! :)

Ye i agree but i do like how its set up and how you can multitask on the webos. But coming back to the original topic i hope its a Vega2 with honeycomb and better specs because if that gets an official honeycomb rom then more likely vega will too as they will have the source codes for honeycomb.

Guest Remington Steale
Ye i agree but i do like how its set up and how you can multitask on the webos. But coming back to the original topic i hope its a Vega2 with honeycomb and better specs because if that gets an official honeycomb rom then more likely vega will too as they will have the source codes for honeycomb.

Oh I dont know, I've used a Pre and webOs is actually kind of pretty, and probably like most people here I am a rom flash junkie so another one to try wouldnt hurt.

There's always Corvus or VegComb to go back to.

Wow, I really do sound like a junkie...............

Guest simonta

Another common misconception of how Android is licensed (yes, it's licensed!). Any release of Android not in the AOSP is licensed to a particular manufacturer for a particular device. Having the source for HC for (a hypothetical) Vega 2 does not mean an official ROM for (the one and only) Vega 1. It would need a separate license agreement.

See my previous post a few pages back on why a ROM port won't happen either. I seem to be talking, but no-one seems to be listening. The only way Advent can officially release HC for Vega is if one of the following is true:

1. HC goes AOSP which is highly unlikely. ICS will be the next one.

2. Advent have signed a licensing agreement with Google to release HC on the Vega. IMHO, also highly unlikely.

3. Back port a ROM and remove the Market and the other proprietary Google apps to leave only open source software. What would be the point?

Very happy to be proved wrong but I still don't see how Advent will release an HC ROM commercially or legally.

Guest le_lutin
Another common misconception of how Android is licensed (yes, it's licensed!). Any release of Android not in the AOSP is licensed to a particular manufacturer for a particular device. Having the source for HC for (a hypothetical) Vega 2 does not mean an official ROM for (the one and only) Vega 1. It would need a separate license agreement.

See my previous post a few pages back on why a ROM port won't happen either. I seem to be talking, but no-one seems to be listening. The only way Advent can officially release HC for Vega is if one of the following is true:

1. HC goes AOSP which is highly unlikely. ICS will be the next one.

2. Advent have signed a licensing agreement with Google to release HC on the Vega. IMHO, also highly unlikely.

3. Back port a ROM and remove the Market and the other proprietary Google apps to leave only open source software. What would be the point?

Very happy to be proved wrong but I still don't see how Advent will release an HC ROM commercially or legally.

I think most people's expectations are for an unofficial HC release (a release that offers slightly more than the current vegacomb)

I wouldn't buy a VEGA vII if they leave VEGA vI with no updated OS, as I wouldn't want to be stuck with a VEGA vII with HC that will never get an OS update to ICS

But that's exactly whats going to happen someday ... It might not be tomorrow or in six months, but at some point no more official Rom development will be going on for the Vega I am afraid, thats the nature of the beast.

Personally I don't think we will see another official update to the Vega myself, the original OEM has got far better things to like ... like create a Vega2 for example.

Unfortunalty that's the nature of technology these days, you buy something and within ten minutes its outdated and something else better has arrived.

Even if the Vega2 magically appears leter on in the year, by this time next year it will be out of date, and the official roms will have dried up. Then the same process will repeat the next year and so on. That's fine for a device that was fairly cheap, but if the ext one is double the price (and I suspect it will be) I wont be investing for it to be obsolete in 6 months.

The Vega came out at a good price and at the right time, 2012 is going to be the year of the tablet, although they said that about 2011. But with Windows 8 around the corner, and devices that will have 4 times the processing power of the Vega its going to be very interesting indeed.

The Vega has 6 months of life left at the most , and then its bargin basement Ebay for it, get used to the idea because thats whats going to happen.

Guest HypoTurtle
But that's exactly whats going to happen someday ... It might not be tomorrow or in six months, but at some point no more official Rom development will be going on for the Vega I am afraid, thats the nature of the beast.

Personally I don't think we will see another official update to the Vega myself, the original OEM has got far better things to like ... like create a Vega2 for example.

Unfortunalty that's the nature of technology these days, you buy something and within ten minutes its outdated and something else better has arrived.

Even if the Vega2 magically appears leter on in the year, by this time next year it will be out of date, and the official roms will have dried up. Then the same process will repeat the next year and so on. That's fine for a device that was fairly cheap, but if the ext one is double the price (and I suspect it will be) I wont be investing for it to be obsolete in 6 months.

The Vega came out at a good price and at the right time, 2012 is going to be the year of the tablet, although they said that about 2011. But with Windows 8 around the corner, and devices that will have 4 times the processing power of the Vega its going to be very interesting indeed.

The Vega has 6 months of life left at the most , and then its bargin basement Ebay for it, get used to the idea because thats whats going to happen.

I agree more or less with what you are saying about the vega, but in general with most tech services moving to the "cloud" more and more devices can be seen as being futureproof, once upon a time if you wanted to play the latest games you needed to have the latest graphics card and fast processor but with things like onlive (coming officially to the UK in Q3/4 2011) all you need is a decent internet connection, also as ICS and hopefully those that follow will all be open to all ala Froyo/Gingerbread which minimizes the problems seen with HoneyComb, which should mean creating new custom ROMs shouldn't be an issue (provided the hardware drivers are continually updated to ensure compatability). I would suggest that 2012 tablets with Tegra 4 (wayne) will be to all intents and purposes futureproof until some tech comes along that is such a drain on resources that more ram/ a more efficient battery is needed.

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest simonta
I agree more or less with what you are saying about the vega, but in general with most tech services moving to the "cloud" more and more devices can be seen as being futureproof, once upon a time if you wanted to play the latest games you needed to have the latest graphics card and fast processor but with things like onlive (coming officially to the UK in Q3/4 2011) all you need is a decent internet connection, also as ICS and hopefully those that follow will all be open to all ala Froyo/Gingerbread which minimizes the problems seen with HoneyComb, which should mean creating new custom ROMs shouldn't be an issue (provided the hardware driver are continually updated to ensure compatability). I would suggest that 2012 tablets with Tegra 4 (wayne) will be to all intents and purposes futureproof until some tech comes along that is such a drain on resources that more ram/ a more efficient battery is needed.

One thing I don't understand is why nVidia et al don't open source, or at least make available, the source for the drivers. Of course, it opens up the secret sauce for the GPU but anyone interested in so doing (e.g. ATI) is not dependent on source code to figure that out. It's just more difficult. Put a scope on the GPU bus and you can record every byte that whistles back and forth. Wouldn't take many weeks to document the entire driver.

Anybody care to comment on the thinking behind closed source drivers?

Guest richardmlea

People use the term obsolete to readily. No device is obsolete until it cant be used for its original purpose, it dosent become obsolete by another better device being released. Analog mobile phones didn't become obsolete when GSM phones where released, they became obsolete when the analog services were turned off by the mobile phone companies.

When you are finnished with your device because a better device becomes available you will probably sell it or give it to a friend or family menber to use. It will only become obsolete when you can no longer use which is unlikely to happen before the device breaks.

Try to tell a guy using the internet in the middle of Africa where there is no mains electrify or phone lines that his 10 year old laptop running Linux, connected to a GSM mobile phone for a data connection that his setup is obsolete.

What you really mean is "it's not the latest or best device".

If you say it like that you realise that you can only have the latest or best for a very short time before it's superseded by a newer model and you very quickly get over it and get on with using what you have.

As long as there are users that are willing to share and help others to improve the Vega it wont become obsolete before they all die from natural causes.

I am happy with what I have as it works well for what I do with it. I would upgrade it for a better model but this has nothing to do with obsolenity.

Guest owenoliver1

its a vega two i asked then they said no chance of vega getting honeycomb so unlucky for us :) check owenoliver1 on twitter

Guest El Nino9

I think from the word buzzing in the statement it implies bees and bees make honey!

Vega 1 to get honeycomb and vega 2 to be launched for xmas with Nvidia's Kal-El and a better screen!!! probably around £300 with 3g and 3ps around £350...

i remember DSG saying they will release a 3G/gps version in the future... but as there are similar devices out there with this already..looks like that wont happen until Vega 2...

Guest winnipeg

One of the bit's I did not like was the Tweet about:

"For those asking we will investigate Honeycomb with our partner"

Then nothing and very soon after not much stock to.

Otherwise like everyone, I knew I was buying in to something which may not get much support.

The Vega as a device to explore a non Apple Tab device at £199.00 and experiment with was very attractive at the time. Although I had hopped the on-going support and updates would last for 12 Months. I doubt there will be any futher updates.

DSG actually seemed engaged at first with enthusiasts in a way I had not noticed before. Anyway for them the price and early communication have probably cleared there stock nicely.

For some reason I will find it hard to buy from them again unless the general speculation on here proves wrong, but will always go for the best deal. I agree with most comments on this thread and the device itself is useful in many ways.