Source codes

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

Guest hedgepigdaniel

hedgepigdaniel I hope you see the irony of your second point? The only people "complaining" are certain ROM modders, others are, simply and politely, pointing out that ZTE have given a time frame for the release of the source code. But that doesn't seem to be good enough. Yet here you are, complaining about people complaing, about people complaining. Priceless.

Your opening statement accusing users of flaming is totally inaccurate, and an exaggeration. Nobody is flaming. Look up the definition for flaming, you will find none of us have been abusive or derogatory.

Your third point. "thousands of people"? How did you arrive at that figure? At most the number of unhappy users doesn't go above double digits. And those people have a vested interest. Which is fine, and understandable. The majority of new ZTE customers don't buy Blades because of ROM's such as Ginger Stir Fry, they buy the handset because it is great value for money. ROM's such as Cyanogen may generate sales, but that's because Cyanogen has a great website and a ROM that get's excellent mainstream press coverage. Few people if any has bought a Blade because of Ginger Stir Fry. They only learn about such ROM's after they enter the modding world, not the other way around as your argument suggests.

Finally, the vast majority of Blade owners never root their handset and Flash custom ROM's. This modding community is strong and vocal, but we don't drive sales. I am however very grateful to the many ROM modder's out there. I have used WBAW's and many others work and I am very grateful. I sincerely hope ZTE release source code soon. This will make many people very happy.

Anil.

Without wasting our time arriving at precise definitions for slang, lots of people are coming to this thread simply to belittle and insult people. At this point, people still complaining about the lack of sources have obviously realised ZTE have given a timeframe and decided that isn't enough. Its a fair assumption none of them are intending so sue a multinational. "Reminding" them that the timeframe exists and that suing ZTE is a waste of time clearly missing the point. If any of them start falsely claiming to be lawyers, then I'll give them a hard time.

I do live in the real world, like you, and I know that the majority of users don't care about open source code. There are still plenty of them. I think there are alot more than 100 blade users who care to some extent, even if they don't post in this thread, and plenty more who care in general about the participation of companies in open source development. Do you really think this forum is the most active in modaco because no one mods the blade? My point was not that there are not thousands of people complaining here in this thread, just that companies like ZTE will tend to respond to user feedback, so it is not necessarily futile for people to complain. A complaint on a forum by one person can be read by a thousand. Have a look at the size of the response on the internet regarding HTC's open bootloader policy for an example, and also an example of a company responding positively to pressure from a minority of users.

I didn't mention any particular ROMs, and I have no idea how my argument suggests that people learn about particular ROMs before they start looking for them, or how that is relevant to anything. If you think cyanogenmod has driven sales (whatever the reason for its success), then you have proved my point. Cyanogenmod is a shining example of a ROM that benefits from open sources, because it is built entirely from source.

An I apologise sincerely for complaining about you complaining about me complaining about other people complaining about other people complaining. I hope you enjoy the considerable irony I have now created for you.

Guest t0mm13b

An I apologise sincerely for complaining about you complaining about me complaining about other people complaining about other people complaining.

Should make that into a 'Yo Dawg' meme :lol:

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest targetbsp

I care about getting the source code as soon as possible so those that know what they're doing can make me a better rom. :D I was content with the time frame ZTE gave though and happy to wait for that date. Whether they meet that date, which is pretty much now, is another matter!

Easy solution to this is when you're thinking about buying your next phone buy one from a manufacturer that doesn't rip off the community of Linux developers. Maybe buy a Samsung instead.

Edited by wbaw

Guest t0mm13b

Easy solution to this is when you're thinking about buying your next phone buy one from a manufacturer that doesn't rip off the community of Linux developers. Maybe buy a Samsung instead.

Samsung - you're joking right?

Their filesystem is as severely messed up ...RBL and LinuxStoreIII ....unlike normal /dev/mtd type of nand storage.

And using Odin to flash samsung handsets...

Maybe that could change now that CM's Steve Kondik is on board... who knows :)

Guest Anil K Solanki

Without wasting our time arriving at precise definitions for slang, lots of people are coming to this thread simply to belittle and insult people. At this point, people still complaining about the lack of sources have obviously realised ZTE have given a timeframe and decided that isn't enough. Its a fair assumption none of them are intending so sue a multinational. "Reminding" them that the timeframe exists and that suing ZTE is a waste of time clearly missing the point. If any of them start falsely claiming to be lawyers, then I'll give them a hard time.

Hi hedgepigdaniel, I think the way some users see it is this, ZTE have given a time frame. So what more do you want? But even after a date is given, the talk of users pressuring ZTE to release early, is truly futile and counter productive. Yet still the general consensus amongst this group is we keep banging on their door hard enough they will let us in early. How many more handsets will this wonder ROM sell? Will you buy another Blade?

I do live in the real world, like you, and I know that the majority of users don't care about open source code. There are still plenty of them. I think there are alot more than 100 blade users who care to some extent, even if they don't post in this thread, and plenty more who care in general about the participation of companies in open source development. Do you really think this forum is the most active in modaco because no one mods the blade? My point was not that there are not thousands of people complaining here in this thread, just that companies like ZTE will tend to respond to user feedback, so it is not necessarily futile for people to complain. A complaint on a forum by one person can be read by a thousand. Have a look at the size of the response on the internet regarding HTC's open bootloader policy for an example, and also an example of a company responding positively to pressure from a minority of users.

The vast majority (>90%) of HTC's customers are normal consumers i.e. not modders or people who flash alternative ROM's. Ergo, >90% of HTC's sales come from the man on the street, and is in no way shape or form driven by custom ROM's. Their decision to open up their boot loader is a strategic marketing move. In such a competitive market they would gladly welcome a 1-2% increase.

I didn't mention any particular ROMs, and I have no idea how my argument suggests that people learn about particular ROMs before they start looking for them, or how that is relevant to anything. If you think cyanogenmod has driven sales (whatever the reason for its success), then you have proved my point. Cyanogenmod is a shining example of a ROM that benefits from open sources, because it is built entirely from source.

Cyanogen is not a modded ROM. They write their own code, so will never be beholden to a device manufacturer, I know you know this. But my point was, The modders asking for ZTE to release right this minute are a small minority of the custom ROM world. If they had their own code base they wouldn't need to pester ZTE. The ROMs that benefit are very few, I won't name names to avoid insulting anyone. So, you didn't need to mention any ROM names, you implicated them by association.

An I apologise sincerely for complaining about you complaining about me complaining about other people complaining about other people complaining. I hope you enjoy the considerable irony I have now created for you.

[/quote

Just to be clear, I wasn't complaining. Simply pointing out to someone that banging their head on the door won't open it, isn't a complaint, just good advice. Apology accepted.

This is my last post in the Blade forum. Moving onto an LG Optimus 2X with a bigger screen. I will give my Blade to my girlfriend running Swedish Spring. My sincere thanks to the many kind folks who have graciously helped me in the past. I also wish all the best to the Blade ROM modders. I genuinely hope the source code allows you to achieve your goals.

Anil.

Guest iNoobz2Droid

That would be probably a consequent reaction if there will be no sourcecode soon.

But i still hope we get the sources and our skillfull romcookers can make great use out of it to provide a gingerbread rom with overclocking and a CM7 rom with newest kernel

Samsung phones are usually no good deal when it come to cheap entry phones

and i don't really need a dual core SG2

software>hardware thats why we NEED the sources as soon as possible (would boost the zte skate/monte carlo value and sales too)

win-win for everyone

Edited by iNoobz2Droid

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Hi hedgepigdaniel, I think the way some users see it is this, ZTE have given a time frame. So what more do you want? But even after a date is given, the talk of users pressuring ZTE to release early, is truly futile and counter productive. Yet still the general consensus amongst this group is we keep banging on their door hard enough they will let us in early. How many more handsets will this wonder ROM sell? Will you buy another Blade?

No one has to accept the answer ZTE gives if they don't like it. Obviously some people thought the sources should be released earlier, updated more frequently, and containing code for all different manufactured versions.

The vast majority (>90%) of HTC's customers are normal consumers i.e. not modders or people who flash alternative ROM's. Ergo, >90% of HTC's sales come from the man on the street, and is in no way shape or form driven by custom ROM's. Their decision to open up their boot loader is a strategic marketing move. In such a competitive market they would gladly welcome a 1-2% increase.

Sounds like a strategic move ZTE and others would do well to follow then?

Cyanogen is not a modded ROM. They write their own code, so will never be beholden to a device manufacturer, I know you know this. But my point was, The modders asking for ZTE to release right this minute are a small minority of the custom ROM world. If they had their own code base they wouldn't need to pester ZTE. The ROMs that benefit are very few, I won't name names to avoid insulting anyone. So, you didn't need to mention any ROM names, you implicated them by association.

No, you seem to be confused. the Cyanogenmod developers did not write the majority of Cyanogenmod code. The vast majority of it is forked (and re-forked) from the AOSP and from device manufacturer's customised versions of the linux kernel, such as ZTE's (cyanogenmod currently uses ZTE's kernel source for the blade, with a few modifications). Unlike many custom ROMs like Ginger Stir Fry, which use a precompiled kernel found in leaked or released official ROMs, cyanogenmod is able to take full advantage of any development in official sources as well as making any modifications necessary to support other features. Cyanogenmod stands to benefit the most from official ZTE sources.

If people bang their head on my door, I eventually open it to discover how I might make them shut up.

Oh well, enjoy the Optimus.

Guest C3P001

Am i right in thinking the source code is expected to be posted tomorrow the 1st September ? Also where will it be posted any links ? and lastly does anyone actually think it will be posted ?

Guest KonstaT

Am i right in thinking the source code is expected to be posted tomorrow the 1st September ? Also where will it be posted any links ? and lastly does anyone actually think it will be posted ?

ZTE PR rep Sean Jacko said it would be released on september 1st. I think this is his latest post about the source:

Hi all

Been rather a busy week - and people are quite naturally keen to get the source code...

I have stated previously that ZTE will release Gingerbread code on September 1st. With the Monte Carlo on the market, ZTE's software managers are aware that they obliged to provide the relevant code and are aiming to deliver before Sep 1st.

Tomorrow in China is today in Europe (=wednesday) ;) Less than four hours and it's sep 1st in Beijing. No one here knows exactly when it is going to be released. It could be today, it could be tomorrow or it could be next month. It's all up to ZTE - we'll just have to wait and see.

It will probably be posted here:

http://support.zte.c...px?type=service

Edited by KonstaT

Guest k0zmic

Does it mean that devs could overclock the kernel with this source ?

Yep, I think they can use it to modify the kernel to add extra features e.g. overclocking as well as other things.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest C3P001

well surprise surprise nothing posted but i guess they have untill 11:59pm and 59 seconds LOL sorry maybe i sound sceptical but i for one doubt it will be posted even if it was said "on or before the 1st September"

No one has to accept the answer ZTE gives if they don't like it. Obviously some people thought the sources should be released earlier, updated more frequently, and containing code for all different manufactured versions.

Obviously if they don't do that, then they're still selling phones that contain pirate software.

Remember this when you're deciding which brand to buy for your next phone.

Edited by wbaw

Guest t0mm13b

and what about my ad-hoc???:)

Ad-hoc has nothing to do with the kernel level - it's actually within the android's upper layer above the kernel, in the frameworks within Android itself. :)

Guest Simon O

Obviously if they don't do that, then they're still selling phones that contain pirate software.

Remember this when you're deciding which brand to buy for your next phone.

Comparing GPL violation with software piracy is incredibly dumb. If ZTE distributed copyrighted code on the device without permission from the authors then this is piracy.. and they haven't done that. What ZTE have done so far is distribute a device containing open source code covered by several licenses which they are legally free to do. The only thing ZTE have done wrong so far is not release the modified kernel code which they should do under the terms of the GPL. Not releasing this is a GPL violation.. nothing more, nothing less.

The only part of the ROM that ZTE need to release code for is the kernel. Everything else doesn't require them to share anything. So really.. stop telling people that GPL violation is software piracy.