20 Jan Gr6 (V20o): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (stock+vanilla)

Guest PaulOBrien

You meen auto-toggle 2G with screen off? :D

Edit to Paul: That would just be awesome!

CM7 stile with switch from 3G to 2G with after 5min or wait 'til no 3G traffic would be perfect. :rolleyes:

But guess that is very much to ask for :huh:

Edited by sckank

Guest ciarpame

I'm a really satisfied FR19 user and I'm wondering if it's time to upgrade to GR5.

Unfortunately I don't have too much free time to spend for my device maintenance (it's the price to pay for having a baby) and so I would like to be sure that I don't have to full wipe again in a few months.

Could someone please sum up for me what are the suggested step for upgrading from FR19?

Which is the correct upgrade order? BB then RIL (getril?) then ROM (or RIL is included with ROM)? Should I make extra wipes or factory reset before or after some operations? (or just don't care since baseband installation will already full wipe my device including internal SD?)

Should I stay with stock kernel or move to MCK R24? If I bake with this kernel can I rebake a future GR5 update with a different kernel without wiping again?

Thank for your help.

Guest mparack

I'm a really satisfied FR19 user and I'm wondering if it's time to upgrade to GR5.

Unfortunately I don't have too much free time to spend for my device maintenance (it's the price to pay for having a baby) and so I would like to be sure that I don't have to full wipe again in a few months.

Could someone please sum up for me what are the suggested step for upgrading from FR19?

Which is the correct upgrade order? BB then RIL (getril?) then ROM (or RIL is included with ROM)? Should I make extra wipes or factory reset before or after some operations? (or just don't care since baseband installation will already full wipe my device including internal SD?)

Should I stay with stock kernel or move to MCK R24? If I bake with this kernel can I rebake a future GR5 update with a different kernel without wiping again?

Thank for your help.

Hi,

Know what you mean but baby's abroad right now with his mommy so getting a chance to play around with ROMs myself

To answer your questions,

Update CWM using ROM Manager app assuming you are still on the older version(optional but I'd do it)

Backup with Titanium (this will speed up restoring apps and data after GR5 is installed but is again optional)

Install BB with smartflash (this will wipe automatically)

RIL is part of ROM so no action here

Reboot in recovery, Nandroid backup, then wipe data and Dalvik cache

Install GR5

Restore backup from Titanium

Hope I haven't missed out anything but others will surely correct if I have.

I'm on a stock LG kernel + theme but have removed all the crapware and apps I didn't use. No issues so far and happy with the stock Kernel. Can't comment on MCK and Kernel updates needing wipes unfortunately.

I think it shouldn't take you more than an hour of fiddling around to get your phone back to speed. Good luck

Edited by mparack

Custom kernel with the usual bits (EXT4, TUN, CIFS) initially... then on from there!

P

That sound sexy :)

What about that 2G toggle? Can you add that with the auto-part?

You meen auto-toggle 2G with screen off? :D

Edit to Paul: That would just be awesome!

CM7 stile with switch from 3G to 2G with after 5min or wait 'til no 3G traffic would be perfect. :rolleyes:

But guess that is very much to ask for :huh:

About that: I'm on GR4 with HP-RC8r and I have the following: when I have Wifi enabled, that works. When I turn off the screen, after some time (not sure if it's one hour or more or less) Wifi goes to sleep as well, but 2G/3G doesn't take over automatically. So, when I turn the phone back on, Wifi reconnects and I usually get all kinds of notifications (WhatsApp, Facebook...). And in this case the radio hasn't crashed or anything, it's just that Wifi turns of after some time. I have set the Wifi Sleep Policy to 'none' so it should never sleep.

Perhaps something that can be considered when doing something with this 2g/3g switcher.

Great news about the kernel being released so quickly.

Hope for great things to come... keep up the good work Paul, you made this device enjoyable for me :)

+1 on that one. I almost buyed the Motorola Razr but when I tried GR5 I changed my mind.

Thanx Paul, you saved me for a lot of cash ;)

Guest mparack

Great news about the kernel being released so quickly.

Hope for great things to come... keep up the good work Paul, you made this device enjoyable for me :)

Hang on a minute, isn't the stock Kernel the same for GB and FroYo versions?

If that is the case, it has taken LG more than 11 months to release so what's so great about that?

Guest chong01

Feedback for GR5, with 0725 baseband:

1. Stock lockscreen's slider tips do not turn grey when grabbed.
  2. CRT-off animation missing.
  3. Wifi turns off few minutes after device goes to sleep (Wifi is set to never turn off in settings)

Oops... looks like #1 was caused by UOT kitchen when I used it to add % battery.

#3 is definitely there - wifi shuts off 5minutes after the phone goes to sleep. Anyone else?

Guest ciarpame

I'm on a stock LG kernel + theme but have removed all the crapware and apps I didn't use.

Great answer, thank you!

About crapware I think I will remove how much as possibile too but I'm not sure about the following:

- SIM Toolkit

- Fonts

- PC Sync + On Screen Phone + MITS

- WAP Service

Will I need them? I never used pc sync and I don't think I will but what's MITS?

I think it shouldn't take you more than an hour of fiddling around to get your phone back to speed. Good luck

It will take much longer to me, for sure since I'm obsessed with details. For example I have a lot of apps willing to start at boot or triggered by common events. It seems that almost every app capable of syncing (news aggregators, etc...) just wants to be in my RAM from the beginning (just as every windows programs wants to be in your tray and eat your RAM and msconfig is your friend here). So I have to use autostarts app to disable all the triggers (and it needs several boots because if you disable a few apps trigger others shows up at the next boot...)

Edited by ciarpame

Guest c.joenie

Jeeej!!! Looking forward to Gr5 Fr19 style! P-man, you did so many awesome things for our LG! My ad-free was the best investment for the phone ever!

I believe you should get a fee from LG for the fact that you correct so many of their bugs :).

Guest mparack

Great answer, thank you!

About crapware I think I will remove how much as possibile too but I'm not sure about the following:

- SIM Toolkit

- Fonts

- PC Sync + On Screen Phone + MITS

- WAP Service

Will I need them? I never used pc sync and I don't think I will but what's MITS?

It will take much longer to me, for sure since I'm obsessed with details. For example I have a lot of apps willing to start at boot or triggered by common events. It seems that almost every app capable of syncing (news aggregators, etc...) just wants to be in my RAM from the beginning (just as every windows programs wants to be in your tray and eat your RAM and msconfig is your friend here). So I have to use autostarts app to disable all the triggers (and it needs several boots because if you disable a few apps trigger others shows up at the next boot...)

I have removed SIM Toolkit and PC Sync OSP MITS without any issues. If you have doubts, I'd suggest you install them with the ROM and then freeze them using something like SystemAPK Manager so that if you have issues you can restore them quickly. Once you are happy that they aren't causing problems, you can always uninstall with Titanium Backup.

What's the difference between the normal kernel and the Modaco custom kernel r24?

Is the latter better, faster, more energy efficient or....?

Actually all of the above ...

Hi Paul,

thanks again for everything!

Now,I have a question:is it possible to have "GB Stock Theme - Toggle Buttons Only" and "LG Music Controls"(enabled in the notification pulldown) working toghether?With the actual Gr5 Development Kitchen the first thing exclude the second...

Edited by H77