[ROM MOD][Gen2] Simple Stir Fry (Updated 01/10) - b27

Guest Matthew Ferguson

Guest Matthew Ferguson

Quite a few people are reporting LED issues with 27. I'd wait till 28 (if there will be one!)

Fair enough :) Tbh I'm not really sure what the point in updating at the moment is, I personally don't see any improvements each time a new release comes out. Has anyone else seen any changes in SSF?

Guest Pierreism

burstlam keeps making changes to the kernel so I can't see how it can be of harm to keep updating GSF, but I doubt there'll be any more noticeable performance gains.

I'm willing to bet anything from b24 upward has been completely fine, and will be fine for the forseeable future. Until Ice Cream Sandwich of course.

your call whether to keep Simple going!...

Edited by Pierreism

Hi all.

I'm using Simple Stir Fry b26 and it's easily my favourite ROM - thank you very much to Matthew F and all the other devs for all their hard work.

I have a question: what do people use to create "native" shortcuts (to files) on the home screen? I was using "Create shortcut" inside "Linda File Manager" while I had previous versions of SSF on my blade and that worked perfectly, but with b26 the shortcuts no longer appear. I don't really want to astro as I've heard that if I uninstall it, the shortcuts stop working (I'm assuming that it needs to be left installed as a proxy stub). All suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you again.

Jaime

Guest freebooter

Any reason why you want to use 26 rather than 27? I have just got a sanfran and looking into updating the rom and I like the sound of ssf being more stock but wondered why you prefer the older revision.

thanks

Guest NakedFaerie

I got a huge problem when I upgraded to this version.

I'm new to this so if I get something wrong its coz I'm still not sure whats what yet but I'll do my best to get it right.

I got a ZTE blade tablet.

I was on CyanogenMod 7.1.0

I used OneClickRecovery and went to recovery mode after a reboot.

I installed this via "upgrade.zip" in the root of the SD card.

It now has a corrupt screen. There are colored lines at the bottom half and the top half starts as the logo but its split in half and sideways. Then when it finally loads there is a huge grey box over the screen. Nothing on the screen works. I can press power to see the power menu pop up but I cant click anything as none of the screen works.

No, the screen is not broken as it was working perfectly before I upgraded and it did this directly after upgrading and the tablet didn't move so it didn't get dropped but it looks like it did.

I cant use recovery menu as I cant see it.

I can get the IMAGE directory to install. (Is that TPT installs?) They can install but still dont fix the screen.

HOW do I fix this? it looks like I can still connect to the PC and upgrade that way or the TPT IMAGE dir way. BUT I cant find out how to install any ZIP files so I cant reinstall anything that worked previously.

Any help will be greatly needed at this time. ATM its a pretty brick as its totally unuseable.

BTW, I'm not a noob when it comes to flashing, I upgrade iPhones, Windows Mobile phones, Xbox360's PS3s, Wii's and other devices. This is my first Android tablet and still learning how to do things. So far its been good till this time. This is the 3rd upgrade of this device.

Edited by NakedFaerie

Guest Matthew Ferguson

I got a huge problem when I upgraded to this version.

I'm new to this so if I get something wrong its coz I'm still not sure whats what yet but I'll do my best to get it right.

I got a ZTE blade tablet.

I was on CyanogenMod 7.1.0

I used OneClickRecovery and went to recovery mode after a reboot.

I installed this via "upgrade.zip" in the root of the SD card.

It now has a corrupt screen. There are colored lines at the bottom half and the top half starts as the logo but its split in half and sideways. Then when it finally loads there is a huge grey box over the screen. Nothing on the screen works. I can press power to see the power menu pop up but I cant click anything as none of the screen works.

No, the screen is not broken as it was working perfectly before I upgraded and it did this directly after upgrading and the tablet didn't move so it didn't get dropped but it looks like it did.

I cant use recovery menu as I cant see it.

I can get the IMAGE directory to install. (Is that TPT installs?) They can install but still dont fix the screen.

HOW do I fix this? it looks like I can still connect to the PC and upgrade that way or the TPT IMAGE dir way. BUT I cant find out how to install any ZIP files so I cant reinstall anything that worked previously.

Any help will be greatly needed at this time. ATM its a pretty brick as its totally unuseable.

BTW, I'm not a noob when it comes to flashing, I upgrade iPhones, Windows Mobile phones, Xbox360's PS3s, Wii's and other devices. This is my first Android tablet and still learning how to do things. So far its been good till this time. This is the 3rd upgrade of this device.

Well, considering this ROM is for the ZTE Blade, not the ZTE V9 (as I presume that's what you're talking about) that might be why it doesn't work? Maybe you should check the simple facts before you profess your lack of n00bness.

Guest NakedFaerie

Well, considering this ROM is for the ZTE Blade, not the ZTE V9 (as I presume that's what you're talking about) that might be why it doesn't work? Maybe you should check the simple facts before you profess your lack of n00bness.

Thanks for your help... NOT!

I thought the V9 and the blade were the same? On some sites they way they are the same. As I said this it the first Android tablet and I've only had it a few weeks and still trying to understand how it works.

Its the Optus ZTE V9. Which I think was a GEN1 but I flashed it with 2.3.4 so I think its now a GEN 2? See I still dont understand about that as I only found out today. I'm not the only one as the last thread I read which had about 10+ pages (I only got to page 9 and there was more) there were about 15 questions asking the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 and most were from different people.

I fixed it. Some part of it was corrupted. I've gone through heaps of web pages and tried to flash many versions to get it fixed and it was a custom of about 3 that fixed it.

I'm still not even sure what firmware I have on it atm as its just fixed like 2 mins ago and at the startup dialogue now.

Well, its back to reading for me as this problem is not a problem anymore.

Guest Sluysen

I'm on gsf b17 now, and want to update to ssf b27 lite.

I'm not too confident about installing roms, so i rather have an explanation on how to install it.

Could someone tell me the steps i should do?

I'v been looking for an image folder like on GSF but there's none :P So it must be another way to install it :)

Guest Pierreism

I'm on gsf b17 now, and want to update to ssf b27 lite.

I'm not too confident about installing roms, so i rather have an explanation on how to install it.

Could someone tell me the steps i should do?

I'v been looking for an image folder like on GSF but there's none :P So it must be another way to install it :)

How did you get b17 on there? All the necessary tutorials are at the top of the forums as stickies. Read those first before asking any further questions!

Also Matthew, if GSF won't be getting any more updates may I suggest making a stripped down CM7? I've been using it for awhile and it's good, but bloated. People may really respond to a Simple CyanogenMod.

Guest Matthew Ferguson

How did you get b17 on there? All the necessary tutorials are at the top of the forums as stickies. Read those first before asking any further questions!

Also Matthew, if GSF won't be getting any more updates may I suggest making a stripped down CM7? I've been using it for awhile and it's good, but bloated. People may really respond to a Simple CyanogenMod.

That was exactly what I was thinking of doing, actually. I'm just waiting for the next stable, or RC, as I don't want to base this on a nightly and update it, well... nightly :) I tried out N210 the other day and it wasn't too bad.

Guest jorgen41

Thanks for your help... NOT!

I thought the V9 and the blade were the same? On some sites they way they are the same. As I said this it the first Android tablet and I've only had it a few weeks and still trying to understand how it works.

Its the Optus ZTE V9. Which I think was a GEN1 but I flashed it with 2.3.4 so I think its now a GEN 2? See I still dont understand about that as I only found out today. I'm not the only one as the last thread I read which had about 10+ pages (I only got to page 9 and there was more) there were about 15 questions asking the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 and most were from different people.

I fixed it. Some part of it was corrupted. I've gone through heaps of web pages and tried to flash many versions to get it fixed and it was a custom of about 3 that fixed it.

I'm still not even sure what firmware I have on it atm as its just fixed like 2 mins ago and at the startup dialogue now.

Well, its back to reading for me as this problem is not a problem anymore.

Well if its gen 1 or 2 dont realy matter in your case since you flashed your tablet with a rom made for a phone :-P

So i gues you have to find a rom that is made for the tablet and not for the zte blade...

Guest dirlan2001

Well if its gen 1 or 2 dont realy matter in your case since you flashed your tablet with a rom made for a phone :-P

So i gues you have to find a rom that is made for the tablet and not for the zte blade...

The Blade and the V9 are identical except for the screen-size ....

:D

Dirk

Edited by dirlan2001

Guest Pierreism

From wbaw on the XDA forums:

There isn't much point in continuing with this particular rom now that CM7 has the .35 kernel, new wifi driver & 16bit patch.

CM7 is now better in every possible way & it's a proper community run open source project. GSF was only meant as a stopgap until the .35 kernel source had been released & integrated into CM7. I only made it because I was annoyed about the wifi being killed when the screen was off in roms using the old wifi driver.

Also, official zte android 2.3.5 has been released & nobody noticed for nearly a month

And finally, Ice Cream Sandwich may be coming to the Blade very soon.

So, I'll be doing what I can to help improve CM7. I recommend everybody upgrades to CM7. It's way ahead of this rom, lots more cool features, fewer bugs, now the ui is just as fast (with 16bit hack) & the wifi works properly (thanks to the .35 kernel & new wifi driver).

I'll leave the links up here for anybody that still wants gsf, but it's become outdated, it wont get another update & I recommend CM7.

... add to that the latest CM7 stable was released yesterday and I'd say that there's no reason not to jump to CM7 from now on. (Back up all apps first.) I've had as good an experience with CM7 as with GSF.

Edited by Pierreism

Guest Pierreism

CM7 is full of shitty stuff... If CM was clean as GSF, mmm B)

I agree! But it took me 2 minutes tops to remove all the excess baggage (ADW Launcher is the main culprit.)

Use the Stock Gingerbread Launcher that's available in the Market for free and hey presto, a vanilla Android experience.