09 Aug: Superboot - root access for the ZTE Skate

Guest PaulOBrien

Unfortunately the machine that I use to connect to the internet; I don't have admin priviledges so I can't install Java in order to run the android sdk. The machine I have full access to has an air gap so I can run the android sdk but that doesn't contain the drivers themselves, only the download address. Hence I'd like a direct download address so I can transfer the file!

I did find a promising looking download on 4shared but when I got to the device manager installation stage I got an error message along the lines of "the software doesn't match the hardware" so that was probably for a Nexus phone or something...!

i will try to upload the google usb drivers for you, then you should be able to do it with the above guide, problem is im having problems with uploading at the moment.

i have been trying to upload my custom rom for the last 8 hours with no luckhuh.gif

Edited by tillaz

Yay! success. I used the drivers from the files you supplied tillaz. It also asked for the location of WinUSBCoInstaller.dll, but I found that in one of the other zip files I had tried, so by mixing dll's from both of those, It's now got past the waiting for device stage and seems to have re-booted the phone:-)

Thank you so much for your assistance Tillaz! Here's hoping orange get back to you soon with an unlock code:-)

Guest PraveenVS

I am not able to install superboot ,, tried all the possible methods as mentioned in post #44 and #54. But nothing seemed to work.

In the command prompt it says - Waiting for device.

Is there any other easier way to install it ?? and I am using windows 7, 64bit ..

I am not able to install superboot ,, tried all the possible methods as mentioned in post #44 and #54. But nothing seemed to work.

In the command prompt it says - Waiting for device.

Is there any other easier way to install it ?? and I am using windows 7, 64bit ..

have you tried them http://android.modac...ost__p__1779465 reboot after installing...

Guest LadronZTE

So guys, i finally done it, but there is real big BUT! I installed superboot, then clockworkmod then the phone went restart, android showed and then android starts "loading" by his screen (android) flashing, but nothing happend, and its for a quite time... its still flashing and doing something but nothing really happend... what should i do ? i am scared to disconnect phone or do anything else..

Guest PraveenVS

I tried the given handset USB driver, but it didn't work for me .. It says 'Waiting for Device' and nothing happens.

Is there any video tutorial for it ?? It would be helpful .. Thanks .

Guest Nighthawk4

I checked the script for the typo - my copy is after the correction, so I don't get the 'command not found' error.

However, the adb line gives 'device not found'

Then the first fastboot line gives 'waiting for device'

I have verified that the phone is connected and I can browse its contents.

Any thoughts please?

This is on an iMac.

I checked the script for the typo - my copy is after the correction, so I don't get the 'command not found' error.

However, the adb line gives 'device not found'

Then the first fastboot line gives 'waiting for device'

I have verified that the phone is connected and I can browse its contents.

Any thoughts please?

This is on an iMac.

hey, could you please make a rom dump of your zte skate before flashing a rom as it would be a great help to the devs smile.gif

http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/

Edited by tillaz

Guest Nighthawk4

hey, could you please make a rom dump of your zte skate before flashing a rom as it would be a great help to the devs :)

http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/

Love to, but I can't get my Mac to see the device.

Also tried ./adb-mac devices which does not find any devices - even though I can see the volume called 'NO NAME' and browse its contents.

If someone can help with that I will be happy to dump the rom first :)

Love to, but I can't get my Mac to see the device.

Also tried ./adb-mac devices which does not find any devices - even though I can see the volume called 'NO NAME' and browse its contents.

If someone can help with that I will be happy to dump the rom first :)

i have no idea with mac, make a new topic telling you have a zte branded skate,it will get a lot more attention than in here smile.gif

Guest spigot

Hello.

Will this work on original ZTE Skate?

Android ver.: 2.3.5

Baseband version: P743B01

Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

Build number: ZTE-SKATEV1.0.0.B1

Thanks.

Guest philmein

Hello.

Will this work on original ZTE Skate?

Android ver.: 2.3.5

Baseband version: P743B01

Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

Build number: ZTE-SKATEV1.0.0.B1

Thanks.

i would hang fire m8 just yet check post 224 here http://android.modaco.com/topic/346580-rom-bluemonte-custom-rom-zte-skate-omc-new-v16-available/page__st__220

Guest tillaz

Thanks.

But it's not clear to me. I'm really sorry but I'm totally new to Android (WM before), so excuse my stupid questions :D.

i noticed you said android 2.3.5 can you please check this.....

we are all 2.3.4 this will be very interesting if your not smile.gif

Guest tillaz

In "About" section, there's version 2.3.5.

now this is very very interesting......

is your phone brand new zte skate, not orange monte carlo ? .....

if so could you please make a new topic named >>>>> [HELP] FACTORY UNLOCKED ZTE SKATE SHIPPED WITH 2.3.5

Guest iam_smithers

I'm having a bit of a problem with getting the root to work. Perhaps it's me being a n00b but I've followed the guide in post 97 (I'm on Windows Vista) to the letter, but it just isn't working because the drivers wont install. I get the message up that "Windows encountered a problem installing driver software for your device" and it basically tells me that it won't install because installing the ADB interface timed out.

When I then try running install-windows-superboot.bat all that happens is that the command prompt window comes up and goes through to the < waiting for device > message. This is literally all that happens on either the drivers from the SDK or the default drivers from the phone, nothing at all happens on the phone itself (I checked beforehand and the device firmware is BO5, android 2.3.4). USB Debugging is enabled, and I uninstalled the default drivers before trying the ones from the SDK. It still wouldnt work after restarting my PC.

So, my question is, am I doing something wrong or not?

EDIT: Or do I need to install Clockwork mod before trying to root? Is that a stupid question?

Edited by iam_smithers

Guest tillaz

EDIT: Or do I need to install Clockwork mod before trying to root? Is that a stupid question?

do I need to install Clockwork mod before trying to root >>>> NO

uninstall the handset drivers exe reboot then try manually installing the google usb drivers

Guest iam_smithers

do I need to install Clockwork mod before trying to root >>>> NO

uninstall the handset drivers exe reboot then try manually installing the google usb drivers

That is what I've done, and the google drivers are now installed but it still isn't working. All I get is the < waiting for device > message, nothing else happens.