OMC Vs. HD2

Guest ColinMCMXC

This discussion has really caught my eye... I have a Blade running XMas, but my wife wants a new smart phone, so I am considering the Monte Carlo. The HTC HDtv seems much better on paper and is potentially cheaper (for second hand).

Can anyone share experience about the sound quality as mentioned above? Also, I have seem on xda that some one is porting CM7 on a regular basis, but it is not formally supported by CM team... Should lack of formal support concern me and does anyone have experience of CM7 on this phone? Is S2E supported? Finally, are all five hard buttons functional when running Android?

Edited by Stu C

Guest Atomix86
...How valid are the two above points regarding the battery and poor call quality...?

Otherwise it does seem to be head and shoulders above the OMC, albeit costing more.

The first point imo is not true, but then I use the latest official radio update from HTC. The second point however is very true, I absolutely hate the battery life on it, it simply cannot go more than 8-12 hours without needing a charge (dipping as low as 4 with heavier use), and I use Juice Defender Ultimate as well! There is an official extended battery, but imo it makes the phone cumbersome to use and bulky.

If you are going to get an HD2 (which, I should add, is utterly fantastic in all other areas!), I would recommend picking up a car charger/one of those portable charger packs (the ones you charge at home then plug into the phones micro USB port when you're out and about and need to charge it).

Guest dibbles

The first point imo is not true, but then I use the latest official radio update from HTC. The second point however is very true, I absolutely hate the battery life on it, it simply cannot go more than 8-12 hours without needing a charge (dipping as low as 4 with heavier use), and I use Juice Defender Ultimate as well! There is an official extended battery, but imo it makes the phone cumbersome to use and bulky.

If you are going to get an HD2 (which, I should add, is utterly fantastic in all other areas!), I would recommend picking up a car charger/one of those portable charger packs (the ones you charge at home then plug into the phones micro USB port when you're out and about and need to charge it).

Thanks for the reply :)

That might well explain why I saw one HD2 being sold on ebay with three spare batteries.!

The battery life would be a breaker for me. With my San Fran I get up to 5 days with only light use and around three with medium (with what I use it for). Even with a "heavy" use day I do get nearly two days out of it. That is what I expect from my phone and whilst I would compromise, to get something better, the battery life that you have described would not be good enough for me.

Thanks again for posting :)

Guest Frankish

Unfortunately battery life being poor seems true. Received my HD2 yesterday. Loaded the latest HTC Sensation rom. Turned off lots of sync etc. After 6 and a half hours I'm down to 36%. And I'm at work so barely using it! Battery usage goes 65% display and 20% weather!

Will do further testing but looks like I need a spare battery. I would have got an OMC if I could have unlocked it.

Guest tilal6991

Unfortunately battery life being poor seems true. Received my HD2 yesterday. Loaded the latest HTC Sensation rom. Turned off lots of sync etc. After 6 and a half hours I'm down to 36%. And I'm at work so barely using it! Battery usage goes 65% display and 20% weather!

Will do further testing but looks like I need a spare battery. I would have got an OMC if I could have unlocked it.

But the OMC can be unlocked for £20 if you've been an Orange customer for more than 3 months.

Guest tilal6991

Just a pay as you go customer? Anyone want to do a swap for a HD2? Lol.

If it's true I have a pay go orange sim that's quite old.

Any Orange customer - even on PAYG.

Guest Atomix86

But the OMC can be unlocked for £20 if you've been an Orange customer for more than 3 months.

But if you are an Orange customer, you won't need to unlock it will you :P.