low RAM - optimus2x disappointment

Guest nitko

Guest MillyMoo

107mb free for me at the mo, it is plenty, never have any lag. make sure you go into Spare Parts and set Transition Animations to Fast. Other than that, you have a defective unit. I have played with my friends zte blade running CM7 and it was extremely slow in comparison to my stock O2x.

Edited by MillyMoo

Guest Anil k Solanki

Free memory is wasted memory.....

No, it's not wasted, just not needed at the time. Would you say the same of free HD space? Don't get me wrong, I get the gist of your statement.

Anil.

Guest b3ndech0

No, it's not wasted, just not needed at the time. Would you say the same of free HD space? Don't get me wrong, I get the gist of your statement.

Anil.

Shure its not good to have just 1 mb free memory, but having 250 free all time isnt either. So my point is 50-100 of free memory is way enough to do allmost everything.

Guest Anil k Solanki

oh yes. Free disk space is wasted disk space. Why have free space when you can use it with music apps or videos?

same goes with memory

I have a home theater Mac with a 2TB drive attached. I have 600GB free, 160GB of music, 828GB of movies, 120GB of pictures plus lots of other stuff. According to your philosophy I should fill the 600GB of free space simply because it's not being used? LMAO.

Quick, check your pockets, make sure they're not empty. Remember an empty pocket is a wasted pocket. :)

Anil xxx

PS. I'm just poking gentle fun, I hope you take my post in the same spirit.

as you see I take my advice seriusly :-)

10 mbs or 16 gbs wont make a difference to weight or physical size.

Try filling your pockets with 10 pieces of paper and then with 16000 :-)

No offence taken.

post-850100-0-04530000-1313797592_thumb.

Guest abwyatt

I have a home theater Mac with a 2TB drive attached. I have 600GB free, 160GB of music, 828GB of movies, 120GB of pictures plus lots of other stuff. According to your philosophy I should fill the 600GB of free space simply because it's not being used? LMAO.

Quick, check your pockets, make sure they're not empty. Remember an empty pocket is a wasted pocket. :)

Anil xxx

PS. I'm just poking gentle fun, I hope you take my post in the same spirit.

I don't think the comparison you are making is quite right.

A more correct conceptual analogy would be a horizontal conveyor belt of fixed length.

RAM memory is like a switched on conveyor belt. You can fill virtually the whole horizontal surface of the conveyor belt with apps. Apps that are no longer used move down the belt and finally drop out of the limited memory. But the freed up memory comes back around to load a new app at the beginning of the conveyor belt. Hence the dynamic nature of RAM memory. Filling the whole conveyor belt with apps will not cause it to grind to a halt.

Memory on a hard disc on the other hand is like a stationary conveyor belt. You have a fixed limit on the horizontal belt space upon which to place your apps. Filling up all that space will then halt what you can do with the belt. That is the nature of static memory.

For those that like analogies, you can think about the size and number of pipes that feed the conveyor belt and the horsepower of the motor/s that turn the belt and how that relates to your RAM ... this from a former mechanical engineer :P

Guest Anil k Solanki

I don't think the comparison you are making is quite right.

A more correct conceptual analogy would be a horizontal conveyor belt of fixed length.

RAM memory is like a switched on conveyor belt. You can fill virtually the whole horizontal surface of the conveyor belt with apps. Apps that are no longer used move down the belt and finally drop out of the limited memory. But the freed up memory comes back around to load a new app at the beginning of the conveyor belt. Hence the dynamic nature of RAM memory. Filling the whole conveyor belt with apps will not cause it to grind to a halt.

Memory on a hard disc on the other hand is like a stationary conveyor belt. You have a fixed limit on the horizontal belt space upon which to place your apps. Filling up all that space will then halt what you can do with the belt. That is the nature of static memory.

For those that like analogies, you can think about the size and number of pipes that feed the conveyor belt and the horsepower of the motor/s that turn the belt and how that relates to your RAM ... this from a former mechanical engineer :P

Very interesting. And remember, a light bulb turned off, is a wasted light bulb. :P

Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

as you see I take my advice seriusly :-)

10 mbs or 16 gbs wont make a difference to weight or physical size.

Try filling your pockets with 10 pieces of paper and then with 16000 :-)

No offence taken.

Why not take it up a notch and use a 32GB SD card? Just think about all that free space you could fill up. And remember, a hat not being worn, is a wasted hat. :)

Anil..

PS. My sincere apologies to the original poster of this thread for helping take this off-topic.

Guest mirsadm

I think I know what the OP is talking about. With 128mb dedicated to the GPU it takes a pretty big chunk of the available memory out of the equation. I often find the OS killing applications to free RAM. Take for example Opera Mobile. I'll have a couple of tabs open and I'll go run a few other apps then when I go back to it it has to reload all the tabs/restart the application. The phone isn't laggy but its annoying that apps have to get killed off so soon because there isn't that much RAM available. To be honest my old HTC Desire was a much better phone because there was much more community development/involvement around it.

I am pretty happy with the O2X now but it is definitely my last LG phone.

Guest bhanvadia

Why not take it up a notch and use a 32GB SD card? Just think about all that free space you could fill up. And remember, a hat not being worn, is a wasted hat. :)

Anil..

PS. My sincere apologies to the original poster of this thread for helping take this off-topic.

Anil I am sorry I guess you not getting the point.

You are trying to also put on like Forums being empty is wasted forum, or something like thread being empty is wasted thread, or reply page being empty is wasted .......

But thing is RAM is different than the things you are comparing.

Car running empty is wasted, but Tyre of car will be same if its filled by 1 person or 3, if its run 100km.

Same with your phone, if you use your phone for 24 hours, and have 16GB filled up doesnt matter, and for your ram its always there, like a tyre, it will run 24 hours, so empty is wasted. I know I am not so clear, but hope you get my point.

EDIT: Forum without "Trolls" is wasted Forum

Edited by bhanvadia

Guest Anil K Solanki

Anil I am sorry I guess you not getting the point.

You are trying to also put on like Forums being empty is wasted forum, or something like thread being empty is wasted thread, or reply page being empty is wasted .......

But thing is RAM is different than the things you are comparing.

Car running empty is wasted, but Tyre of car will be same if its filled by 1 person or 3, if its run 100km.

Same with your phone, if you use your phone for 24 hours, and have 16GB filled up doesnt matter, and for your ram its always there, like a tyre, it will run 24 hours, so empty is wasted. I know I am not so clear, but hope you get my point.

EDIT: Forum without "Trolls" is wasted Forum

Hi bhanvadia, unfortunately I couldn't understand your post and therefore your point. Once we get into the realm of using analogies to explain analogies the point is truly lost. I'm not sure where you came in, but the main contention other's were putting forward was, 'unused RAM (random access memory) is wasted RAM. Unused storage space is wasted space'. Clearly this is nonsense.

All technology created by humans is a means to an end. Fire was created for heat and cooking, smartphones have developed into tools to let us connect and communicate. They are all simply a means to an end. For some the means is more important than the end. I use technology to do "stuff". Surf the web, read/send email, watch movies, design websites, ANDROID apps, etc.

I'm not sure where you stand, but I hope I made myself understood.

Thanks. Anil.

Guest Anil K Solanki

a smartphone without developers is a wasted smartphone

A sandwich without mayonnaise is a wasted sandwich.

Your turn orlox.

Anil.

Read this article. Youll understand a lot about android memory ussge.

And dont forget beer without alcohol is a wasted beer.

Edited by orlox

Guest Anil K Solanki

Read this article. Youll understand a lot about android memory ussge.

And dont forget beer without alcohol is a wasted beer.

Article? Where's the link?

A beer without alcohol is a soft drink.

Anil.

EDIT. Screen shot added. ANDROID, Linux, UNIX, OS X, are all computer systems which use physical resources like RAM when needed. If they run out of RAM, they all have methods for working around resource limitations. As you can see I have 300+ MB of RAM free, unneeded by the OS because of the services or the applications that are running at the time. Just to be clear, RAM and ROM are not the same.

screenshot-1314494344725_20b6.jpg

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest libehv

I tend to have around 60 to 90MB free ram available and during this period the phone feels unresponsive while trying to multitask

it seems as android isn't able to clear memory fast enough

and having never less than 200MB free memory while actively using the phone, as some said, please!

just gonna jump in here, cos I think I am having ram issues too...

I find I have to kill the odd app now and again with a task killer. If I don't reboot every other day the audio playback becomes choppy, menus are slow and laggy, I then have to kill a few tasks to get the phone back to normal, sometimes 'kill all' is the only way to get the phone to normal without rebooting.

If I could find a way to stop apps loading on their own. (contract killer for example) maybe it would solve my problem, I've used Android optimiser to stop auto-startup apps but it doesn't seem to work for everything.

I must confess I am no tech and I am unaware if all of the above is a really RAM problem, I just get the feeling if the Optimus2x had 1gb I wouldn't have these issues.

Or maybe its just cos I am using a custom rom...?

Edited by sSword

please what?

please sum up the tricks you have.

have tried different rom's - some, which had the additional ram hack and others

never had this optimistic result as never having less than 200MB

Thanks for the tips I will look into that :)

I wish I could boot my phone as infrequently as my computer, I guess it gets rebooted once a week, my work pc about once every 3-4 weeks heh...

Last if you dont care about a2dp bluetooth or fm radio install cyanogenmod. Then youll understand why android doent need killers and how smooth it is with 50-60 mbs of ram and how bad programming has done ^^