[ROM] FTB (2.1 mod) - updated 2012 01 01

Guest twrock

hi

can't seem to remember if this has always been a problem with 2.1 android but the last text message i received keeps appearing in the notifications whenever i restart the phone?

cheers

Edited by peelie

Guest pedrojaime

hi

can't seem to remember if this has always been a problem with 2.1 android but the last text message i received keeps appearing in the notifications whenever i restart the phone?

cheers

I am not sure about the last txt message but I definitely noticed that I re-get the last missed call notification when I restart the phone, maybe its a related issue..

Has anyone noticed that scrolling down the list of contacts takes you all the way down to W as your finger reaches halfway down the touchpad? Just something that I noticed a while back..

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest Dante2070

I'd like to remove some apps from /system/apps. The way I did this in other roms was in Terminal Emulator:

su mount -o rw,remount /system

rm -f /system/app/<apk name>.apk

Now I get the following errors:

When typing

mount -o rw,remount /system I get "Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory"

after that rm -f /system/app/<apk name>.apk I get "rm failed for -f, Read-only file system"

What am I doing wrong?

I am using not the latest twrock mod, but the one before. Terminal Emulater is updated to the latest version availlable on the market.

Guest Dante2070

@twrock

When I used smart keyboard pro on your rom, hilighted text was not t-mobile purple, but orange.I use now SlideIt and it's back to purple again.

Edited by Dante2070

Peter, the Vanilla Music developer responded that the app consumes no battery when idle, only taking up a bit of ram until the memory manager kicks it out. He said his previous implementation of that feature had some undesirable effects, so he doesn't want to put it back in.

He did respond positively to my request to add "next album" and "previous album" to the options for swipe up and swipe down. And he has no problem with people putting it in ROMs. Since a few of the apps in this rom have gotten updates, maybe it is a good time to consider an update. But I will at least wait until Vanilla Music gets updated. (And I should at least spend a little time trying to figure out the problems people are having.)

Guest Dante2070

Dante, I don't know what is wrong with your command line. But I can suggest using Root Explorer or ES Explorer which will let you delete files in /system.

Thanks, Root Explorer works perfectly!

I'd like to remove some apps from /system/apps. The way I did this in other roms was in Terminal Emulator:

su mount -o rw,remount /system

rm -f /system/app/<apk name>.apk

Now I get the following errors:

When typing

mount -o rw,remount /system I get "Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory"

after that rm -f /system/app/<apk name>.apk I get "rm failed for -f, Read-only file system"

What am I doing wrong?

I am using not the latest twrock mod, but the one before. Terminal Emulater is updated to the latest version availlable on the market.

This worked for me:

$ su

# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

Guest pedrojaime

Dante, it looks like for some reason you were not getting full read-write permissions to /system, only read-only. It looks like you were running the command without su, so not as superuser which could be why you were not given full read-write. Glad you resolved it

thanks a lot twrock as always for your efforts!

Guest Dante2070

Thanks for the help guys. I forgot to put in the post that I did use SU. I find root explorer to be way more convenient for removing apps from /system, since you don't have to look them up first and then launch / switch to TE and type command lines (which is kind of complicated for non native linux users). Also minimizes the risk of deleting the wrong file.

Guest sleepingman

twrock, thanks again for your rom.

can't wait for another update :D

just one question i cant get a gps signal on my phone. im in europe, portugal

i dont know if the problem is with the rom,phone or my gps program.

if there is a configuration that can help me and you know, can you provide any help?

thanks in advance and excelent work!

Thanks for the help guys. I forgot to put in the post that I did use SU. I find root explorer to be way more convenient for removing apps from /system, since you don't have to look them up first and then launch / switch to TE and type command lines (which is kind of complicated for non native linux users). Also minimizes the risk of deleting the wrong file.

Thought I should mention that deleting APK's out of /system will leave some junk in the Dalvik-cache. You can use Titanium Backup to both remove the APK and to clean up the cache. (Disclaimer- I have Titanium Pro, so I'm not sure if all features are available in the free version.)

Edited by twrock

twrock, thanks again for your rom.

can't wait for another update :D

just one question i cant get a gps signal on my phone. im in europe, portugal

i dont know if the problem is with the rom,phone or my gps program.

if there is a configuration that can help me and you know, can you provide any help?

thanks in advance and excelent work!

Hmm, I rarely use GPS, but I have used it successfully. I don't know of anything I've done to the rom that would be the cause of the trouble you are having. Maybe you can test GPS using some other program (something simple like using Google Maps to find your location with the GPS).

Guest Dante2070

Thought I should mention that deleting APK's out of /system will leave some junk in the Dalvik-cache. You can use Titanium Backup to both remove the APK and to clean up the cache. (Disclaimer- I have Titanium Pro, so I'm not sure if all features are available in the free version.)

Wouldn't a "clear dalvik cache" in recovery mode get rid of the junk?

Guest pedrojaime

Clear Dalvik cache seems to clear up all the junk without ill effects for me..

I mentioned that Market was easy to break and I have now (through trial and error) established that the following processes are Market dependencies and MUST NOT be frozen in order for Market to work:

Market Updater

Checkin service

Google Talk Service

Download Manager

I was also wondering, and I may more easily do this on my PC, does anyone know of a good way to embed album art into mp3 files?? I am trying out Easytag on Linux at the moment..

Guest Dante2070

I have already twice (maybe more) cleared the dalvik cache on this rom, without any negative results. I used to do it more often on the cyanogen-mods, in order to un-slug the system. No negative effects there as well.

I have already twice (maybe more) cleared the dalvik cache on this rom, without any negative results. I used to do it more often on the cyanogen-mods, in order to un-slug the system. No negative effects there as well.

Maybe just my imagination. :huh:

What I recalled losing was app registrations for apps that required a key. But maybe it was something else that caused that.

Yeah, I'm getting old.

Guest rulerofkaos

Clearing dalvik cache in recovery will delete everything. I recall losing other things i didn't want to when I used that method. YMMV.

I'm not losing anything, if I do that.

Guest EgyptoBoy

Hi twrock :

i installed a stock 2.1 rom from omantel cuz its my favorite rom so now i need some help to make a 691mhz oc bootimg for my stock rom .

now my limit 528mhz , i have a U8230 handset so if you have afree time kindly download this rom and tweak a 691mhz flashable zip . this is the direct link for my stock rom and thank you

another Qu ? can up the frequ to 710mhz or this is the max limit.

the direct link :

http://www.omantel.o...AndroidOS21.zip

Edited by EgyptoBoy

Hi twrock :

i installed a stock 2.1 rom from omantel cuz its my favorite rom so now i need some help to make a 691mhz oc bootimg for my stock rom .

now my limit 528mhz , i have a U8230 handset so if you have afree time kindly download this rom and tweak a 691mhz flashable zip . this is the direct link for my stock rom and thank you

another Qu ? can up the frequ to 710mhz or this is the max limit.

the direct link :

http://www.omantel.o...AndroidOS21.zip

I don't know how to make a 710 kernel, and I can't even boot a 710 kernel because me phone will lock up while booting. I simply repackage the kernels that other people make (like Tom G., AntonioPT and Flibblesan). So,.....

In the first post of this thread, there is a link to a 691mhz default boot.img. Please download that, and after backing up your current rom, install that file. If it works, then you have got the result you want. If it doesn't, there might be one more thing to try, but I wouldn't count on it working.

You can search for a 710 boot.img in this forum and see if you can make that work, but I'd suggest the above idea first, because it should be easy to install.

Still enjoying this Rom.

Pro tip :) try changing your sd card if u r getting reboots FCs and the like. Downgrading my sd card to 4gb has given me very enjoyable phone.

FTB FTW :)

/ganker

Still enjoying this Rom.

Pro tip :) try changing your sd card if u r getting reboots FCs and the like. Downgrading my sd card to 4gb has given me very enjoyable phone.

FTB FTW :)

/ganker

I'm ready to go with the next version of this rom,.... but I'm still waiting for VanillaMusic 0.9.4. I keep hoping to get that in before I update the download. Now it looks like I need to update Maps too since a new version just arrived.

Incidentally, I'm including a nice little app that "approximates" the notification bar toggle widgets in CM6. It's not exactly the same, but it is a nice addition.

Stay tuned.......................................